HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 8:18 PM

del

Last edited by SAtown; Jul 7, 2016 at 3:36 PM. Reason: del

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:32 PM

Yeah now that the city has some momentum and the incentives, we really need to start enforcing more street-level retail and more affordable units.

I also believe that the city needs to increase funding for SAHA for affordable units in these urban neighborhoods. SA isn't the wealthiest city, and many recent graduates who would love to live within the urban core are priced out. I can imagine the hiding demand that is pent up.

And I really hope we start to discuss urban development that reflects our distinct cultural and historical influences. I host many travelers passing through SA, and the most frequent comments about their views of SA always reflect on how surprised they were to find SA to be so different from their preconceived notions. It is easy to preserve a building, but again we need to not simply preserve the past; but we need to continue on and expand upon the qualities that make our past worth preserving.

I'm writing a new article, but I haven't pinned the tail on the direction I want to go.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:44 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAtown View Post
Especially projects like the new Rivera or whatever it is called. I can't see how they would think the ground floor apartments whose doors open up 2 feet from Broadway are going to do well. It's like the never actually went to the site, but just took another mediocre design from Dallas and transplanted it there. Ground floor shops would have been fantastic there! It makes me sad every time I go past it.
Ding ding ding! It really boggles the mind. What's more, all the new retail space in Midtown/River North is 100% leased as far as I can tell. Maybe we'll see some of those units turned into retail when the developer wakes up and realizes the opportunity they're passing up (something similar happened at the Cevallos Lofts, I believe).

Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:22 PM

I really wish cities would see the benefits of providing affordable housing in the core. I suppose I could fit in the recent college graduate demographic (UTSA '12), been living in Phoenix since 2012 and just moved into my studio on the edge of downtown. I'm paying $685/mo for rent and I have everything I need within walking distance as I don't have a car. 10 min to the grocery store, 10 min to the movie theater, 3 min to my favorite bar, 6 min to the light rail. Now my train ride to work has gone from 30 min to 6 min. I actually plan on walking to work once the temps stop hitting 110+! haha

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 4:57 PM

I know this is not about San Antonio, but

Congratulations to Austin.

http://www.today.com/home/2017-us-be...report-t107829

Austin is number one.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 5:36 PM
James

That is awesome for our neighbor to the north. More tourism for us with possible visitors!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
That is awesome for our neighbor to the north. More tourism for us with possible visitors!

Yes, congrats Austin, Texas!!
And agreed jaga, SA loves the overspill of people from our little neighbor to the north!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 7:16 PM

By the way these are the other Texas cities that made it on the top 25:

15. Dallas
20. Houston
23. San Antonio

( data provided from San Antonio Business Journal)

Congrats to ALL!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2017, 11:31 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
This is great for Texas. Now we need to get to work on our two monolithically Hispanic major cities (the RGV and El Paso) and our one major bastion of working class whites (Fort Worth) to provide a better geographic equality of opportunity for our citizens.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2017, 2:46 AM

Originally Posted by AwesomeSAView View Post
Ahhhh, that's not a comparison. LOL
It's called a question.
Sleeping in English class, I assume...

Make your day a GREAT day!!

First of all, your snarky ad homs are not appreciated. We should endeavor to keep the discourse civil.

Second, you miss the point. Even Weston wants to duplicate the things that have been successful in other cities. He had to be convinced that DT could be the catalyst for his vision.

Dell was not in DT Austin, but off of Research Blvd. So, in essence, he wants to take what has been successful in Austin, and improve it here, while also invigorating the DT core.

Looking at what other cities have achieved does not mean we want to be a carbon copy of those cities, but rather take what has worked, and make it ours.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:09 AM

Found and iteresting article from Dallas

Not much is said about San Antonio, despite the headline, but some interesting comments were included. Well, one, but who's counting?

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...opulation-boom

“Housing and rents are much lower than in Austin, and you’re still close to Austin,” she said. “And anecdotally, there are a lot of high-tech companies moving to San Antonio.”

Yup, that's about it, but the article is an interesting read.

Be aware, you will need to turn off you ad blocker to view the article.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:50 AM
James

San Antonio, Bexar County bow out of bid for Amazon’s second headquarters

After reading this article, I'm kind of behind COSA as to why we pulled out of the AmazonHQ2 bid.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
San Antonio, Bexar County bow out of bid for Amazon’s second headquarters

After reading this article, I'm kind of behind COSA as to why we pulled out of the AmazonHQ2 bid.
Jaga, I kind of agree with Mayor Nirenberg and Nelson Wolfe. If Amazon likes our city or any other city, and wants to build here, or anywhere else, then they should build there. After Amazon chooses a particular city, THEN can they and city officials talk about incentives, tax exemptions, etc. I for one, think it was a good decision.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2017, 8:02 PM

Hi, I am originally from San Antonio but go to university in NYC for urban studies and am working on my senior thesis. I am focusing on how through transportation planning, the inner city of SA can become a resilient, truly urban place. How through transportation planning, comes walkability, economic improvements, quality of life, and positive impacts on the environment. If any of you have advice on readings that I should look into or anyone within the city planning department or community leaders in Dignowity Hill, Lower Broadway, Southtown, Tobin Hill and the near west side, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any and all help or advice

Old Posted Oct 30, 2017, 2:45 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mklunder13 View Post
Hi, I am originally from San Antonio but go to university in NYC for urban studies and am working on my senior thesis. I am focusing on how through transportation planning, the inner city of SA can become a resilient, truly urban place. How through transportation planning, comes walkability, economic improvements, quality of life, and positive impacts on the environment. If any of you have advice on readings that I should look into or anyone within the city planning department or community leaders in Dignowity Hill, Lower Broadway, Southtown, Tobin Hill and the near west side, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for any and all help or advice
Ground-level retail. Ground-level retail. Ground-level retail.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2017, 5:11 AM

Go Spurs Go!!!

Last edited by Restless 1; Nov 30, 2017 at 7:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:41 PM

We sure have some nazi-like forum moderators here. Deleting posts because what they make you feel bad about the city or are too honest? And don't give that BS that it's off topic because it sure wasn't. Dude I've seen the moderators arguing with other posters, belittling others, and taking personal shots but do those posts get deleted? Nope.

We constantly ask why our city is behind in it's development and ingenuity. Is it any wonder? I mean this is a forum dedicated to people who enjoy the city and new development. And yet any conversation that's outside the box is squashed and deleted. Instead we have to place anything the moderators don't like into a thread that's so random that any conversation about specific projects is quickly lost.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necropolis View Post
We sure have some nazi-like forum moderators here. Deleting posts because what they make you feel bad about the city or are too honest? And don't give that BS that it's off topic because it sure wasn't. Dude I've seen the moderators arguing with other posters, belittling others, and taking personal shots but do those posts get deleted? Nope.

We constantly ask why our city is behind in it's development and ingenuity. Is it any wonder? I mean this is a forum dedicated to people who enjoy the city and new development. And yet any conversation that's outside the box is squashed and deleted. Instead we have to place anything the moderators don't like into a thread that's so random that any conversation about specific projects is quickly lost.
I was so busy yesterday that I thought I forgot to put send on my last message in the frost tower thread. Kind of sad of people to be deleting post.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 1:08 AM

New Spurs arena location?

Well, this is all a bit pie in the sky, but there was a thread a little while back about where a future tallest building in San Antonio could be, so I thought I'd try a little thought experiment on where the Spurs might build a new arena.

Why? Well, the Spurs' lease at the AT&T Center is up in 2032 apparently. Of course that's a hell of a ways off, but suppose hypothetically they wanted to move to downtown at some point---if they wait until 2032 to make that call, I doubt there will be enough free space downtown that they could buy. Hell, there might not even be enough in five years, let alone 15. So they would need to start scoping out spots ASAP.

I looked on Google at the footprint of the new arenas being built by the Warriors and the Bucks. The former is about 13 acres, the latter quite a bit smaller, only about 7.5, I outlined them on Google:

So I was trying to see where in downtown San Antonio it could be realistic to find at least 7.5 acres worth of real estate without having to destroy whole neighborhoods.

One that I thought of was the the area just north of where the Frost is being built, bounded by Camaron and Flores to the east and west, Travis and Martin to the south and north:

That one is almost exactly the same size as the new Bucks arena.

Anyone else have any other ideas? If the Spurs do indeed want to trend towards locating an arena downtown, thereby giving people a more vibrant post-game experience, they'd have to get on it relatively quickly to buy up some space, otherwise if they wait a decade it'll be significantly more expensive and they'd have to tear down swaths of buildings.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 2:27 AM

Alamodome parking lot A.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio