HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Claridge Icon in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Ottawa Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 7:40 PM

Additional remediation on Pit walls

Concrete rebar forming has halted for about 3 to 4 weeks now while black tarpaulin is hung with wood strapping over the pit walls. More safety measures due to the cold weather that will cause more ice to form. Bottom level is complete with forms added for next level. The last wall is almost complete so form work may start next week. It does look like they could leave it be till next spring. Will have to wait and see.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2016, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitterbug View Post
It's certainly more than 5 storeys deep, apparently there will be at least 10 floors of parking down there.

Work is progressing at a snail's pace though. You just have to observe the small handful of workers on site. Perhaps Claridge is buying time till the condo market picks up in a few years, and until then they can say the tower is "under construction" haha.
^ Isn't there a date where the units need to be completed for the all owners who've already purchased? If not they can get payment or back out or something? You would think they need to at the very least hit that occupancy date. I would hate buying a place with "move in Jan 2018" only to be able to move in 1, 2 or 3 years after that (which would end up adding additional expenses on my end).

Plus, you would think they would try to finish it asap in order to be the "shiny new tall building" in Ottawa and get even more sales once the building is complete. They don't have too much competition right now, but when Trinity towers at Bayview, Lebreton, Dow Honda site towers all get released and go into pre-sale, Icon might be "old news" and not as attractive anymore...

Old Posted Dec 9, 2016, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
^ Isn't there a date where the units need to be completed for the all owners who've already purchased? If not they can get payment or back out or something? You would think they need to at the very least hit that occupancy date. I would hate buying a place with "move in Jan 2018" only to be able to move in 1, 2 or 3 years after that (which would end up adding additional expenses on my end).

Plus, you would think they would try to finish it asap in order to be the "shiny new tall building" in Ottawa and get even more sales once the building is complete. They don't have too much competition right now, but when Trinity towers at Bayview, Lebreton, Dow Honda site towers all get released and go into pre-sale, Icon might be "old news" and not as attractive anymore...
I believe most have a clause that allows the date to be extended due to circumstances outside the builders control. Perhaps the accidents that recently happened could be used to extend the 'outside occupancy dates' on their Tarion forms. But builders usually wayyy overestimate the outside occupancy date. For example my condo was completed August 2016, and it was over a year late starting. The outside occupancy date was in late 2018.

Also Richcraft is looking for a buyer for the Dow Honda site, so my guess is there will be a complete overhaul of that development. It probably won't be condos if the current market outlook continues. And I believe Bayview will be rentals, so likely not competing for the same marketshare.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2016, 7:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr872190 View Post
I believe most have a clause that allows the date to be extended due to circumstances outside the builders control. Perhaps the accidents that recently happened could be used to extend the 'outside occupancy dates' on their Tarion forms. But builders usually wayyy overestimate the outside occupancy date. For example my condo was completed August 2016, and it was over a year late starting. The outside occupancy date was in late 2018.

Also Richcraft is looking for a buyer for the Dow Honda site, so my guess is there will be a complete overhaul of that development. It probably won't be condos if the current market outlook continues. And I believe Bayview will be rentals, so likely not competing for the same marketshare.
I love the Richcraft proposal for The Sky but I knew from the start it is most likely vapor. Hopefully this doesn't drag on like Soho Italia and something interesting gets built on that plot.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 3:19 PM

This project may be progressing at a snail's pace, but it is progressing. The cost of doing this foundation slab and core work is significant so this tower appears to be still very serious.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2017, 9:56 PM

Last edited by waterloowarrior; Jan 13, 2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: fixed link

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soballin View Post
So...what's going on now ? When will the building start growing ?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2017, 7:34 AM

So is the black material to avoid ice buildup? Is it normal in a foundation like this? Anyone know?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 2:00 AM

Claridge Icon = welcoming residents in 2040

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshsparrow View Post
Claridge Icon = welcoming residents in 2040
Claridge Generation,built from grandfather to great grandson !

Old Posted Jan 15, 2017, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
So is the black material to avoid ice buildup? Is it normal in a foundation like this? Anyone know?
Black material is thermal tarps and given they look sort of inflated I am willing to bet they are heating the walls for the winter. The huge amount of ice build up would likely pull down all that screening that was installed last summer if they didn't. Not sure that pours can be done like that though so maybe shutdown until spring other than maintenance type stuff?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2017, 4:32 PM

How do they keep the snow from accumulating on the slab and where do they put it?

Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 4:39 PM

Too bad it took a man being killed to realize they need to prevent ice build up. We need a law stating that this thing is mandatory on any open construction pit.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2017, 7:12 PM

The construction has been idle for a while because I noticed the crane has been in same position, will the work resume as soon as spring starts? Just wondering.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 11:45 PM

Ministry of Labour lays charges in Claridge construction site death
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...eath-1.4006874

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 12:02 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
Ministry of Labour lays charges in Claridge construction site death
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa...eath-1.4006874
Glad to see the wheels of Justice turning.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Glad to see the wheels of Justice turning.
It's been a full year and no sign of criminal investigations. MOL is going through the motions but it will be a lawyers game now. I would be surprised if any labour law comes of this. It will be more about who pays who and how much in the end.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:05 AM

Really Claridge?!?!

Quote:
Ottawa police launched a criminal probe last June but it has stalled because investigators are facing difficulties speaking to all the witnesses. So far, Bellai Brothers employees have been interviewed but Claridge staff have yet to agree on a date to be interviewed, according to investigators.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ServiceGuy View Post
It's been a full year and no sign of criminal investigations. MOL is going through the motions but it will be a lawyers game now. I would be surprised if any labour law comes of this. It will be more about who pays who and how much in the end.
This isn't referring to a civil suit - this investigation relates to quasi-criminal offences under health and safety legislation. The penalties include large fines and possible imprisonment. Not a trivial matter.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2017, 9:28 PM

So... is the project over ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa