HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Uh huh. OK. Takes all tastes.
Right. California winemakers use all new oak barrels, and I find many of their Chardonnays almost undrinkable. As for the reds, you can blame Robert Parker. Some younger winemakers are trying to correct this, but it'll take time.

Oregon wines hew closer to the classic Burgundian style.

Long story short, you can't get people to buy American wine in place of European wine because they're different styles. They're just not substitutes for one another.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:34 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

you mean that butterscotch-y flavor of the chardonnays?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
you mean that butterscotch-y flavor of the chardonnays?
There's a buttery-ness too, but that's common to many Chardonnays. It's the new oak that I can't stand. It makes my throat tickle and tastes like I've eaten one of those cedar blocks you hang in your closet to keep moths away from wool clothes.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:00 PM

Chardonnay is horrible when grown in hot climates like Napa. Most CA white wine is simple undrinkable. I can buy a bottle of Picpoul de Pinet for $8 and it is better than most CA whites. A Chablis Premier Cru is in a different universe than a Chardonnay from CA and not particularly expensive.

Even good CA reds have a roasted, jammy taste and are outrageously expensive. And at the lower price point wines from CA are simply gross. I can buy a good Rioja Reserva for like $20 and its better than anything in the US at that price.

Last edited by Vlajos; Aug 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:19 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Do you think a single person in the US actually thinks this? Or that we're all stupid?

Trade proponents are trying to protect our exports, and some are trying to protect our access to cheap stuff. None of it (minus the sellouts) is about helping other countries at our expense.
I've seen several outrageously stupid articles like this:

new republic: buy american is white supremacist.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Chardonnay is horrible when grown in hot climates like Napa. Most CA white wine is simple undrinkable. I can buy a bottle of Picpoul de Pinet for $8 and it is better than most CA whites. A Chablis Premier Cru is in a different universe than a Chardonnay from CA and not particularly expensive.

Even good CA reds have a roasted, jammy taste and are outrageously expensive. And at the lower price point wines from CA are simply gross. I can buy a good Rioja Reserva for like $20 and its better than anything in the US at that price.
That's another reason Oregon's Willamette Valley has the most potential of any wine region in the US. There are even some Burgundy producers with estates in the Côte d'Or that have bought land there (like Drouhin).

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I've seen several outrageously stupid articles like this:

new republic: buy american is white supremacist.
I haven't read the whole article but I think you're missing the point.

People don't actually advocate buying imports in order to benefit those parts of the world at Americans' expense. But in the reverse case, advocating "buy American" can be a patriotic action or it can be a dog whistle to xenophobes.

Personally I think we all benefit from the choices that trade provides, as illustrated by the wine discussion. Different people have different tastes. I am quite sure, for instance, than unless I bought a Tesla I will never own an American car. I just don't like the way they look or feel or drive. But America still exports plenty of Fords and Jeeps and Rams to the rest of the world.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:34 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Floridian logic. Yeah, craft breweries will fix everything.

But I agree that Budweiser, and Coors Light are basically bottled steer piss.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 3:50 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Floridian logic. Yeah, craft breweries will fix everything.

But I agree that Budweiser, and Coors Light are basically bottled steer piss.
You could not be more wrong.

Coors is trout piss.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:32 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

List of Worst Beers from Beer Advocate.

Personally, I would put Sol and Corona right there with Natty Light and Milwaukees Best. Try drinking these without a lime.

Bud/Coors is marginally better.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
You could not be more wrong.

Coors is trout piss.
I thought it was cat piss?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:08 PM

Quote:
The stupidity of this statement makes my head hurt. If a random drunk ahole tourist makes you trust Germans more, then your loyalty to America is seriously in question.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
I despise racist trash. BLM included. I despise Trump because he's a liar, a fraud and con artist that duped a bunch of desperate people.
The seditious leftist media has you and many others duped. They can say anything anti-Trump and you will simply believe it and never fact check it because you are so blinded by your Trump hate.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiz Khalifa View Post
The stupidity of this statement makes my head hurt. If a random drunk ahole tourist makes you trust Germans more, then your loyalty to America is seriously in question.
Get over it. Trump having a 35% approval rating makes me question Americans sanity. I'm not a mindless flag waiver. I think.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:21 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
The seditious leftist media has you and many others duped. They can say anything anti-Trump and you will simply believe it and never fact check it because you are so blinded by your Trump hate.
You sound like a North Korean...lies are truth, sadness is happiness, anything not in the trump talking points is a lie, eh?

The rest of us just look at you people and hope you escape.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Why should anyone have "loyalty" to a country?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Lol, coming from someone that apparently supports Trump and thinks statues of racist traitors are cool.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2017, 7:58 PM
devout Pizzatarian

guys, let's please keep all of the national politics stuff contained within the current events sub-forum, where it belongs.

we don't want that crap polluting perfectly good topics in the other forum sections.

End

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions