HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics

Old Posted Jan 20, 2015, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Why Roche Bobois Brought Uber-Fancy Euro Furniture Back to Portland

In 2005, Roche Bobois—a French furniture brand known for luscious color schemes, collaborations with the likes of Jean-Paul Gaultier, and high-end niche appeal—opened a Portland store. Demand proved low, and the store vanished quietly. Last fall, however, the company returned in triumph, opening a new showroom in a strikingly whitewashed former carpet store in the West End. Will things go better this time?

Marcelo Sanchez, the new Portland store’s manager, believes things have changed in the last decade. Portland’s vaunted appeal to national and international transplants and economic growth have stoked demand for Roche Bobois’ popping colors and extravagant, statement-piece silhouettes. According to Sanchez, the Seattle location of Roche Bobois found itself helping many a Portlander in all their eccentric furniture needs; hence the West End shop, unveiled on October 30th of last year.
...continues at Portland Monthly.

Quote:
Seeking a community as well as profits, outdoor gear retailer evo arrives in Portland

Portland has its share of outdoor gear and apparel stores, but a new entrant into the crowded field – evo – wants to be something different.

Like others, evo offers an array of skis, clothing, bikes and other gear. But it intends to sell most of its products online rather than through the store, and wants to offer a sense of community to like-minded people inside the near-eastside walls of a former Salvation Army building.

But even with 85 percent of its $50 million sales coming from the web, owner Bryce Phillips says brick and mortar are an essential part of the experience.

The stores "round out the customer experience, foster community, provide service and much more," says Phillips, a Roseburg native who traveled the world as a professional skier.
...continues at the Oregonian.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jan 21, 2015, 3:35 AM
9-7-2oh1-!

I've seen some ugly couches in my day. I'll even admit to having owned a few ugly couches back when I was in my early 20s, dirt broke and clueless about style... but even by ugly couch standards, THAT is one heck of a pair of UGLY couches. Hoe. Lee. Crap. And what's the deal with the plastic rutabaga?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:44 AM

Noticed last night that G-Star Raw is going into the 12|Stark building. When it's complete Kure juice bar, Bamboo sushi and Timbuk2 will also be located there.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 3:29 PM

I think that 12Stark building looks amazing!! That street has changed so much since I used to hangout along it every weekend! lol!

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 8:28 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Has Piology been a flop in Fox Tower? It's always empty when I walk by. And when I say empty, I mean EMPTY. Even crickets would shoosh each other in there. Does Piology get enough of a lunch crowd to make up for the desolation the rest of the day?

Imagine how successful that place would be if they replaced those awful tables with booths and served beer. They have such a great location. I'm amazed by how dead the place always is.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 9:06 PM

It's because Mod Pizza is a couple blocks away and blows it out of the water.

Old Posted May 31, 2015, 9:42 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

Where's Mod Pizza downtown?

EDIT: Never mind. It's on 2nd and Yamhill. That's far enough away from Fox Tower that I don't think it has much to do with why Pieology is always empty.

Last edited by 2oh1; May 31, 2015 at 10:39 PM.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 8:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post
Has Piology been a flop in Fox Tower? It's always empty when I walk by. And when I say empty, I mean EMPTY. Even crickets would shoosh each other in there. Does Piology get enough of a lunch crowd to make up for the desolation the rest of the day?

Imagine how successful that place would be if they replaced those awful tables with booths and served beer. They have such a great location. I'm amazed by how dead the place always is.
I had no idea that they even moved into that space....wasn't that area a pizza window for another pizza place?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 2:09 PM

Yeah, there was a cute window for Pizza Schmizza, I liked it, it was qwirky. I do like Pieology Pizza. Their one at Grant Park Village seems empty too. The sururban ones seem busy. I would say to corporate for PDX, but Chipotle is busy, and Pieology is identical for pizza... who knows.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
It's because Mod Pizza is a couple blocks away and blows it out of the water.
Mod Pizza's crust is awful. Pieology has a better crust. PizzaSmith down in Bridgeport has the best crust of the instant pizza places. The problem with all of these places is that they don't come close to a decent pizza from a real pizzeria. It's a fad and we'll soon see some of these places close up.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2015, 7:23 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

That Pieology spot would be packed if they'd opened a simple pub instead of a strip mall style pizza shop. All they need is booths for seating instead of those tables, to make it a cozy place to sit, and serve a few kinds of beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Mod Pizza's crust is awful. Pieology has a better crust. PizzaSmith down in Bridgeport has the best crust of the instant pizza places. The problem with all of these places is that they don't come close to a decent pizza from a real pizzeria. It's a fad and we'll soon see some of these places close up.
I didn't realize they were doing instant pizza. I thought they were real pizzerias. I guess that explains why the place feels more like a generic burger joint than a pizza place.

I liked Shmizza being in that window spot, but the lease on the larger space Pieology has must be brutal. Unless they're packed during lunch every day, I can't imagine them surviving long. I've never seen anybody in there.

I've been wondering about some of the post-recession retail newcomers. The Yard House has such an amazing location - right next to the Apple Store - but the idiots didn't build a street entrance into their restaurant. I wonder how they're doing. To be honest, I've never even wandered in. And then there's the Punch Bowl, taking up an entire floor in the mall. A quick glance at their page on Yelp shows how many of the reviews are from people in other states. Interesting.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 8:57 PM

The Shade Store will be the retail tenant in the Janey II.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 10:20 PM

Did the Jack Spade store on the next block close or move?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownpdx View Post
Did the Jack Spade store on the next block close or move?
It closed, maybe 6 months ago or so. Guess aren't enough men in Portland who wear blazers.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It closed, maybe 6 months ago or so. Guess aren't enough men in Portland who wear blazers.
They shut the whole chain down.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:38 PM

Signed Lease for 365 in Portland

Whole Foods announced a signed lease for their 365 store in Portland. Any idea where it is?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/whole-...QDBHNlYwNzYw--

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babs View Post
Whole Foods announced a signed lease for their 365 store in Portland. Any idea where it is?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/whole-...QDBHNlYwNzYw--
Just answered my own questions. It's going into Oswego Village, the old Albertson's store. Too bad , I thought it might go into Hassalo on 8.

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/i...l#incart_river

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:45 PM

When I think about where I would launch a discount brand aimed at millennials, Lake Oswego is the city that immediately comes to mind.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
When I think about where I would launch a discount brand aimed at millennials, Lake Oswego is the city that immediately comes to mind.
Another store is going into Bellevue Square mall, another major hangout of millennials with stores that they typically shop at

Calling it a discount brand aimed at millennials is PR garbage (like PR people never lie???). It's going to be nothing more than a smaller store concept that fits into a 25,000 - 30,000 sq ft footprint. Same prices, perhaps with a higher % of store brands but that's about it.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:18 PM

I'm sure Whole Foods already has plenty of stores in the 25,000-30,000 sq ft range. The store in the Pearl can't be much more than that (it doesn't occupy the full 40,000 sq ft block), and the one on Fremont feels about the same size.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Business, the Economy & Politics