Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Roll View Post
The city needs to add more subway lines if it wants to create another big office CBD.
Once University City is developed more, we'll need a better subway line going there.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:24 AM

Inside

source: http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...-comcasts.html

“We’re still finalizing the details but there will be incubator space,” Demming said. “We’re still deciding what exactly will be there.”

One source said the plan could include several local incubators banded together when the tower is scheduled to open at 18th and Arch streets in 2017.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasrapp98 View Post
Once University City is developed more, we'll need a better subway line going there.
Really? The West Philly trolley system makes the neighborhood very well connected, moreso than anywhere else in Philly in my opinion. Just needs a more direct connection between the subway and trains at 30th St (currently have to exit to the street to reach one from the other) and perhaps another line reaching Civic Center Blvd and the "Hospital District."

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Since most of the current development and planned development in UCity is around or within a few blocks the Market Frankford subway line stations and 30th St station, I beg to differ.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Really? The West Philly trolley system makes the neighborhood very well connected, moreso than anywhere else in Philly in my opinion. Just needs a more direct connection between the subway and trains at 30th St (currently have to exit to the street to reach one from the other) and perhaps another line reaching Civic Center Blvd and the "Hospital District."
Green line has stops at 30th, 33rd, 36th, 38th, 40th streets.
El has stops at 30th, 34th and 40th Streets.

Regional rail has stops at 30th Street and University City.

The only 2 additions that may be needed are:
1. short bus route to the new CHOP complex
2. a regional rail stop around Penn's south campus (old Dupont Lab complex)

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 6:53 PM

west phila transit connections

As a volunteer I have given architectural tours for the AIA Center for Architecture for many years and many times I had people on our tour from other parts of the country and the world who were staying in a B&B in West Phila and were amazed at how easy it was to get to CC and beyond with the trolleys. This includes people from cities with good public transit like Chicago.

apetrella802

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 7:53 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a subway from Independence Mall (6th and Walnut) that makes stops on 10th, Broad, 17th, 21st, River Bike Path, (then goes under or over Walnut St Bridge), 30th, 34th, 38th, and 44th.

This would be a huge investment though and a long term thing. If we are trying to become a world class city however, our transportation needs to reach further than just Broad St and Market St as far as subways.

I think having subways on Broad, Market, and Walnut along with the good train lines to the mainline and surrounding areas, and the buses we would have a much improved system. Also we really have to renovate some of the subway stops. Race/Market/Walnut/Lombard are all frequented a lot, but look like trash.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of a subway from Independence Mall (6th and Walnut) that makes stops on 10th, Broad, 17th, 21st, River Bike Path, (then goes under or over Walnut St Bridge), 30th, 34th, 38th, and 44th.

This would be a huge investment though and a long term thing. If we are trying to become a world class city however, our transportation needs to reach further than just Broad St and Market St as far as subways.

I think having subways on Broad, Market, and Walnut along with the good train lines to the mainline and surrounding areas, and the buses we would have a much improved system. Also we really have to renovate some of the subway stops. Race/Market/Walnut/Lombard are all frequented a lot, but look like trash.
There already exists a Locust Street and Market street portion so to speak

That seem really redundant.

If anything it woul make more sense to either bring the PATCO line around to 19th and Arch or JFK or extend to South

the Walnut line you describe already has great service from multiple rail transit options - dont see the need honestly

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidphilly View Post
There already exists a Locust Street and Market street portion so to speak

That seem really redundant.

If anything it woul make more sense to either bring the PATCO line around to 19th and Arch or JFK or extend to South

the Walnut line you describe already has great service from multiple rail transit options - dont see the need honestly

Expanding the Broad St subway to the Navy Yard makes sense. Constructing a light rail / trolley line along Delaware Ave/ Columbus Blvd that loops to the Sports complex and Navy Yard makes sense.

Putting in a regional rail station at the Zoo makes sense.

Building a Walnut Street subway is stupid. It serves an area already covered by mass transit.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apetrella802 View Post
As a volunteer I have given architectural tours for the AIA Center for Architecture for many years and many times I had people on our tour from other parts of the country and the world who were staying in a B&B in West Phila and were amazed at how easy it was to get to CC and beyond with the trolleys. This includes people from cities with good public transit like Chicago.

apetrella802
I can see your post read by a famous actor in a Ken Burns documentary

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 8:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:

There is a transit development thread for this kind of discussion.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:01 PM

Yeah lets get back to talking about how boxy and awkward this building is.

Joking aside, this building is growing. I am really curious if they are going to enhance it, I mean it has happened before with the 1WTC, or the 2nd one. Maybe office demand will skyrocket and they will change the height to 2000'.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christof View Post
Expanding the Broad St subway to the Navy Yard makes sense. Constructing a light rail / trolley line along Delaware Ave/ Columbus Blvd that loops to the Sports complex and Navy Yard makes sense.

Putting in a regional rail station at the Zoo makes sense.

Building a Walnut Street subway is stupid. It serves an area already covered by mass transit.
A Patco connection from Gloucester County to the Navy Yard would be awesome if the BSL and a new light rail line all had a hub there. It would make the area much more attractive from an access point of view and then could actually support the function of being a second CBD behind Center City/University City kind of how Midtown and Downtown function in NYC.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyflyfly View Post
Any possible angle where you can get it all in?
Hi I have been a long time lurker on the forum. I finally decided to post with all this new excitement. I think this view from down by Pats and Genos will be fantastic of the new CITC.

if anybody wants to photoshop the building in, feel free.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberlin2334 View Post
Hi I have been a long time lurker on the forum. I finally decided to post with all this new excitement. I think this view from down by Pats and Genos will be fantastic of the new CITC.

if anybody wants to photoshop the building in, feel free.
Is this from the Gas station on Washington accross from the Paint store and CVS I live a block away from there and from the CVS, especially at night it is a great vantage point - now wondering what the view will be in 2017

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 9:56 PM

Wow! I got the news on this one late but at least I'll have something to watch grow when 1 World Trade Center finishes up, Good Year in philly,
Chris Wheeler Dumped by the Phillies, Phillyskyline.com back on line, and a "super tall" in Philly.

......If only the design was slightly less odd looking, IMHO I don't care for tacked on spires or asymmetrical designs and this thing has both of those faults, The worst of it is blocking the view of Liberty 1&2 from the art museum....oh well I hope it lights up the skyline well at night.

Any Plans for a Mini Willie Penn on top of that Spire?
Gota ditch the sports curse...again.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post
Wow! I got the news on this one late but at least I'll have something to watch grow when 1 World Trade Center finishes up, Good Year in philly,
Chris Wheeler Dumped by the Phillies, Phillyskyline.com back on line, and a "super tall" in Philly.

......If only the design was slightly less odd looking, IMHO I don't care for tacked on spires or asymmetrical designs and this thing has both of those faults, The worst of it is blocking the view of Liberty 1&2 from the art museum....oh well I hope it lights up the skyline well at night.

Any Plans for a Mini Willie Penn on top of that Spire?
Gota ditch the sports curse...again.
There will be a Mini-Penn on top.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:34 AM

Quick Rendering w/ MSpaint

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post
The worst of it is blocking the view of Liberty 1&2 from the art museum....oh well I hope it lights up the skyline well at night.
Does anyone know if it will actually be blocking LP1 2 from the Art Museum? Or was that just part of the rendering (to have the focus be on the CC)? The adult in me says that it will block views. But the kid in me says its an intentional feature of the rendering!

While the national media loves that view, we all know the real best view to be from the South Street Bridge. Anyone good with photoshop care to take a stab at that view?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2014, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Does anyone know if it will actually be blocking LP1 2 from the Art Museum? Or was that just part of the rendering (to have the focus be on the CC)? The adult in me says that it will block views. But the kid in me says its an intentional feature of the rendering!

While the national media loves that view, we all know the real best view to be from the South Street Bridge. Anyone good with photoshop care to take a stab at that view?

Done!

Larger Version Link

It's gonna be the best skyline view in town. Going to work on Belmont Plateau next!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture