HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:06 PM
The Hero we deserve

^that's encouraging nonetheless....

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:09 PM
devout Pizzatarian

*posts edited*

city vs. city BS will never be tolerated on this forum.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:09 PM

True. I guess this design has grown on me, so I was hoping it would remain, but it all depends on what else it could be.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:11 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten View Post
"I did the CG on this project in late 2011. I can finally share it, as the office I was working for at the time, DeStefano Partners, is no longer around. So, no, this project will not be moving forward--at least not looking like this. This 111 West Wacker project has a lot of news and hubub circling it, but your guess is as good as mine as to what will be built there in the hopefully near future. Regardless of what the ultimate and final design is, it will be better than the shell of concrete that rests there now. The site has been an eye sore on Chicago's river for nearly four years. Enjoy! Below are some additional renderings for the project."
that's VERY disappointing, but thanks for finding that and posting it here.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This is the page I got it from: http://www.cgarchitect.com/2012/02/j...go-residential , but I just now read that page. It doesn't sound promising for this design, but someone has to know something out there regarding this, right?

"I did the CG on this project in late 2011. I can finally share it, as the office I was working for at the time, DeStefano Partners, is no longer around. So, no, this project will not be moving forward--at least not looking like this. This 111 West Wacker project has a lot of news and hubub circling it, but your guess is as good as mine as to what will be built there in the hopefully near future. Regardless of what the ultimate and final design is, it will be better than the shell of concrete that rests there now. The site has been an eye sore on Chicago's river for nearly four years. Enjoy! Below are some additional renderings for the project."
It sounds like this guy doesn't know what the hell he is talking about. Just because the firm that did the design work on this has dissolved doesn't mean the design won't be built. If Related paid for these plans they own the plans now and the dissolution of the firm that made the plans will not affect that. If Related owns the rights to these designs they can build it. Also, it's not like they went bankrupt. They split up into a domestic and an international firm. That means the rights to these plans probably stuck with the domestic firm.

This may or may not be exactly what it ends up looking like, but, fact is, the breakup of DeStephano has abso-fucking-lutely nothing to do whether this is the design that gets built or not.

That said, this is Related we are talking about, they are going to pick the most baller design they can even if it's not this one.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:13 PM

Haha I really hope you're right! This could easily be the coolest building we may get for a while, other than that proposed Miesian cube looking building near the south loop.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Old Posted Mar 5, 2012, 11:17 PM

Well, if what the cg guy is saying is true, he is explaining it quite awkwardly. That quote seems to imply the incorrect assumption that a firm splitting up means all their designs are scrapped. I'm still not sure what to make of it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
That said, this is Related we are talking about, they are going to pick the most baller design they can even if it's not this one.
Other than Park Tower (which most others on this site will disagree with me on) I can't think of a single Related Midwest project that was any good.

Anyone know of any (sorry if this is a bit off topic)?

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 4:57 AM

^^ seriously? Park Tower is obviously garbage but 340 On The Park was definitely nice.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 5:24 AM

Quote:
This is the page I got it from: http://www.cgarchitect.com/2012/02/j...go-residential , but I just now read that page. It doesn't sound promising for this design, but someone has to know something out there regarding this, right?

Posting renders and speaking in absolutes about unbuilt work at your previous firm (without written permission) is risky if under agreements and copyright restrictions. I get the sense he doesn't actually know for sure. And if related dishes out another press release with those renders, he could potentially be in trouble. Though he generated those images, they are technically not his property nor can he speak fact about them until we get confirmation from higher sources. It seems that if banners are being put up, and Related still maintains information about this on their website, plans are only moving in the forward direction.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:07 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Disappointing but unsurprising. I'm not expecting anything beyond Related's other project in Chicago, which sadly will probably be one of the top residential buildings they have constructed.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 6:19 AM
TL;DR

It's confusing to me why Related decided to work with DeStefano in the first place. They've been in death throes for awhile now - certainly they were looking pretty shaky during the period right before Related purchased the unfinished hulk.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:08 AM

I think Nowhereman1280 said it exactly right. And maybe that's why the death throes didn't matter as much to Related. Plus maybe also a significantly reduced fee offered by an architect(s) looking to move on from a tight spot?

Anyhow, to purists who have a problem with the incongruity between bottom and top, consider it as a future archeological record of rock strata, pre- and post- disaster. People still talk of how the Empire State Building was built in barely over a year, IIRC as kind of a permanent record of the economy during the Depression, so this building can also become an interesting historical story to casual observers on the street and river.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 2:41 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
It's confusing to me why Related decided to work with DeStefano in the first place. They've been in death throes for awhile now - certainly they were looking pretty shaky during the period right before Related purchased the unfinished hulk.
Am I confused or are you confused? I was under the impression that DeStephano is not and has not "been in death throes" by any measure. My impression was that some of the partners disagreed with some of the other partners about the direction of the firm and therefore they decided to split into two firms. This isn't a LaGrangian style bankruptcy/meltdown. This is just another one of the many examples of architecture firms splitting and merging over creative direction. I'm not sure where these rumors of the firm "failing" are coming from as every press release about this has been abundantly clear that they are "splitting" not facing any kind of business collapse.

DeStephano has actually been doing well from what I gather especially with their international business which was, I believe, the reason cited for the split as some of the partners were uncomfortable with the increasing international orientation of the firm. I mean yeah they've shrunk since the boom years, but what architecture firm hasn't? There is a good reason why there are so many unemployed architects right now.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
This is just another one of the many examples of architecture firms splitting and merging over creative direction. I'm not sure where these rumors of the firm "failing" are coming from as every press release about this has been abundantly clear that they are "splitting" not facing any kind of business collapse.
Heck, the post-split domestic branch was recently hiring on a number of architects... and we also saw them produce the design for the proposed south loop student apartment building. Things dont seem to be going very poorly.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2012, 9:29 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah, as I was saying, clearly this CG guy doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about if he thinks "DeStephano went under" or whatever he said. That's not saying that is design is the one that is guaranteeing to be built, but it's pretty obvious that, if this design is not used, DeStephano's split will have had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 3:04 PM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2012, 7:14 PM
Content provider

^ well by all means go ahead and turn it

Old Posted Mar 11, 2012, 8:35 PM

3.11.12 - At Long Last.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive