HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 2:16 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
^ OK thanks, the one I'm using is clearly too slow. Can someone here who is really into this stuff recommend what I should buy to have a basic suitable system (probably a laptop) for better performance. I think mine meets the minimum standards but it seems painfully slow.
A laptop really is not an ideal system to be running games on. The graphics cards are largely going to be kinda weak to begin with, you only tend to get strong ones if you get a very large computer (or a very expensive one). And then, unlike a desktop, you cannot swap out the card when it becomes obsolete in, oh, about a year.

The question is, how much are you looking to spend? If cost is no object, I recommend taking a look at the Razer Blade: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...lade-2012.aspx

A friend of mine has the Samsung Series 7 Gamer, which while technically better than the Razer, he reports that it runs outrageously hot. I believe it is also thicker and heavier: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/lapt...s-7-gamer.aspx

A good mid-range gaming system is the Asus G75, but it weighs a ton: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=049461

If you're looking for an all-around notebook, consider the Thinkpad T530 with the 1 GB dedicated nVidia card and Core i7 processor will be able to take this game on, but not at maximum settings: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=057698

My roommate just bought this MSI CX61 about 2 months ago, so far it has managed to take on anything we've thrown at it (Diablo III, Starcraft II, Team Fortress 2, etc). Nice and cheap, acceptable build quality, but the keyboard is among the worst I've ever seen on a laptop: http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=051783

Personally, I'm thinking of getting a used Thinkpad W520 with the 2GB nVidia card, 1080p screen and a Core i7 processor (which will run around $1300). Not a gaming laptop per se, but it's a robust, all-around notebook with an absolutely excellent keyboard.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:00 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Thanks for the info, but the real question is how much money should one spend to get something decent, but not the most expensive (ballpark), I haven't made any inquiries yet.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:21 PM

For a laptop, expect to spend at least $1200 for a gaming system, with the norm being closer to $2000

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 5:29 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Thanks, maybe something a little more mediocre might do.
Is that what most of you have spent?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 6:54 PM

I spent about 2k, but that was for a desktop and included the monitor. I also went fairly high end when I selected all my components; you could definitely do a similar system for cheaper than I did. Laptops are going to be more expensive for lesser performance.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 7:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Mine was about $1,300 - I believe.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2013, 7:46 PM

$1500 for mine i think. That was two years ago and it was for a movie/gaming laptop (17-inch screen). It runs Simcity pretty well. I keep the graphics all high except for the lighting. I was looking a few weeks ago and it appears a new version of my computer with a slightly smaller screen is ~$1200 base.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:29 AM

If you don't want a laptop you can get a much more affordable option by using a desktop. I play the game on a $750 desktop and while I can't really run it on full crank, I am able to flick on full graphics to take pictures etc...

speaking of which...

FALL IN MAGNOLIA GARDENS!! I'm actually amazed how well this tiny little coastal town turned out.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:28 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Thanks, maybe something a little more mediocre might do.
Is that what most of you have spent?
I bought my Thinkpad T400 for $1500 in 2009, while that is roughly what you are looking at for an entry-level gaming system, mine was anything but. The graphics card (ATI Radeon HD3470) was weak when I got it and it's just beyond pathetic now. But this is my only computer (aside from an older Thinkpad T42 and a plethora of ancient Macs) so it had to be a good all-around performer and fairly light.

I think a better idea would be to buy a used Thinkpad for your laptop computing needs (a used T410, which has a Core i5/i7 processor, will set you back about $400 off eBay) and use the ~$1000 difference to build a much more powerful and flexible desktop. The so-called "logical increments" buying guide is a good place to look: http://www.logicalincrements.com/

$1000 plus the cost of a Windows copy will put you in the "superb" or "excellent" tiers, both of which will handle any modern game on high settings, no problem. Subtract $75 from the price if you're not interested in a flash drive to store the Windows Operating System.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

This is just getting funny to be a part of.

The SimCity PR Nightmare Escalates

Quote:
Over the past couple of days, “SimCity” has eclipsed “Pope” in global search volume. Electronic Arts has finally created something that has captivated the world with an intoxicating melange of drama, tragedy and sick humor. Too bad all of these elements emerge from EA’s project management, not the game itself. The first stage of the SimCity fiasco stemmed from how EA’s servers spectacularly failed to cope with the entirely predictable launch week traffic. But the next stage is potentially even more damaging. On EA’s Answer HQ website, one of the most heated discussion threads is now about whether the entire pathfinding and traffic management systems of the game are badly broken.

http://news.yahoo.com/simcity-pr-nig...150021213.html

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:34 PM

Interesting read. I think the game has a lot of good bones but I agree with the article in that the pathfinding seemed to be out of touch with reality. Gridlocking is a major issue in the current city i'm working on and the population is only 15,000. The fact that you can only have one connection to the outside world only increases that issue. In a game where region building is encouraged- people and goods moving each day from city to city- why would they only have one access point to the region?? My city is blocked with cars entering and leaving causing major headaches.

I hope EA realizes the issue and resolves it because I do really enjoy the game.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:42 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Example of the path-finding problems. All that matters is SHORTEST ROUTE POSSIBLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=g418BSF6XBQ

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My attempt at a European city is still coming along. Added a little Warsaw and London so far. And replaced my simple bridges with arched ones.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:28 PM

can some answer these two questions

1) can you alter the terrain like in previous SimCities?

2) how do you choose the design of your cities ie. europe style etc..?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:44 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwspencer38 View Post
can some answer these two questions

1) can you alter the terrain like in previous SimCities?

2) how do you choose the design of your cities ie. europe style etc..?
1) No, not yet anyway. I wish.

2) If you have the deluxe pack, then you plop the Brandenburg Gate to get German-style buildings, Big Ben for London, Eiffel Tower for Paris. There are other landmarks but I don't think they have an effect on the style of buildings that develop around them.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:46 PM

oohhh.. I was wondering what those did. I just assumed that they were for tourist attractions and not for altering the building design.

Man they could really use terraforming in that game.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:49 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Anyway, in my first city in the 16-city region, this happened:

If you have traffic issues at 13,000

Shit's gonna get serious when you're pushing 100,000

Nothing was moving. Garbage piling up, fires destroying the town, nobody could get to school or shops, so the latter were being abandoned. When highrises began construction they would take forever to build, and once they did, nobody could get to them to move in. Population dropped from 98k to around 80. I managed to squeeze a few more bridges in, including two with streetcars to the South Shore. Then boom, 135,000 people just like that! Now I have power issues but there's no more room to build more modules, so I'm trying to buy from Fort Townshend, but it's not producing enough for me (HINT).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:03 PM

Ya i'm in the same boat. I am running out of room for ulitilites with no room to expand so I am purchasing practically everything and anything from neighbouring cities. So if you have ANYTHING to sell, I am game haha!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:08 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

You guys should set up a city or two that provides nothing but Utilities. Plop 10 power plants and 10 water treatment plants and then sell it all to neighbouring cities.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 3:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's