HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 1:54 AM

Is that area called the Deco Ghetto?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
Is that area called the Deco Ghetto?
Some people call it that. Personally, I never call it that, and haven't met many people who do. I would say the "Deco Ghetto" is a sub neighborhood of SOMA, and SOMA is what I call it.

Since I barely ever hear that name in person, to me it's kind of in the same category as "NOPA" (North of The Panhandle). Meaning, a neighborhood that has relatively recently been given a new name by some people, but the new name is not too well known, and is not universally used.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 3:01 AM

i too have heard deco ghetto, due to the art deco furniture stores on market between van ness and gough.

i've also heard that historically it was referred to as "the hub" because so many neighborhoods feed into it (soma, mission, hayes valley, lower haight, civic center, upper market)

i think the city is alternately pushing west soma, and mccoppin hub.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm View Post
i too have heard deco ghetto, due to the art deco furniture stores on market between van ness and gough.

i've also heard that historically it was referred to as "the hub" because so many neighborhoods feed into it (soma, mission, hayes valley, lower haight, civic center, upper market)

i think the city is alternately pushing west soma, and mccoppin hub.
"The Hub" - I like it!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:04 AM

I think NOPA is more of an established name, even though it is not literally just north of the panhandle because it also includes parts of Divisidero imo. I have never heard of deco ghetto, btw.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPA View Post
I think NOPA is more of an established name, even though it is not literally just north of the panhandle because it also includes parts of Divisidero imo. I have never heard of deco ghetto, btw.
Nope (or should i say nope-a? ...aheh heh heh). It's "the Panhandle", or "Western Addition". Or "north of the panhandle" if you really need to be specific. To others, it's part of "Uptown Fillmore". It's "NOPA" for transplants only

I actually agree though, NOPA seems to be a more established name than Deco Ghetto.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Some people call it that. Personally, I never call it that, and haven't met many people who do. I would say the "Deco Ghetto" is a sub neighborhood of SOMA, and SOMA is what I call it.

Since I barely ever hear that name in person, to me it's kind of in the same category as "NOPA" (North of The Panhandle). Meaning, a neighborhood that has relatively recently been given a new name by some people, but the new name is not too well known, and is not universally used.
The Deco Ghetto is not part of Soma, it is the area of Market between Van Ness and Octavia where many run down antique/ art deco furniture stores exist. I've heard it called Shopping Cart Flats, too (actually I just made that up, but I like it!)

NOPA is just criminal. I refuse to call it that, just like Many natives refuse to call South of Market SOMA.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:21 PM
THAT Guy

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but UNIQLO is taking over the DSW space on Powell.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but UNIQLO is taking over the DSW space on Powell.
Yeah? There has been so much speculation as to where they were going to open. I remember hearing they were interested in the old Virgin Megastore which is now the new XXI store. Where is DSW headed...if anywhere?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:01 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
The Deco Ghetto is not part of Soma
Well, it IS South of Market, it's next to the rest of SOMA, it's not the Mission, it's not Civic Center, it's not Hayes Valley, and it's not the Castro...and I hardly ever hear people call it any specific name other than SOMA. So calling it "SOMA"/South of Market makes perfect sense if you ask me.

Quote:
NOPA is just criminal. I refuse to call it that, just like Many natives refuse to call South of Market SOMA.
I agree "NOPA" hurts my ears. Also, I'm a native and I sometimes say "SOMA". Because it's easier than saying "South of Market". I mostly use it as an abbreviation while typing though.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2012, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
Well, it IS South of Market, it's next to the rest of SOMA, it's not the Mission, it's not Civic Center, it's not Hayes Valley, and it's not the Castro...and I hardly ever hear people call it any specific name other than SOMA. So calling it "SOMA"/South of Market makes perfect sense if you ask me.
How can it be south of market? It IS Market. You may be confusing terminology with lower/ upper market.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 8:01 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

I heard it called the Deco Ghetto 15, 20 years ago, back when there were many antique stores on both sides of Market just west of Van Ness, but most of those stores have closed and the name doesn't properly describe the area anymore.

Honestly, if I were talking to another San Franciscan I'd just say 'Market just west of Van Ness.' None of the areas on Market Street between Van Ness and, say, Dolores really have an official name that has stuck, probably because they haven't traditionally been residential.

The area is something of a commercial dead zone--many properties are shuttered and can't keep tenants--but it isn't static, with a new-ish booskstore and bike shop on the north side of Market around Franklin.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 3:31 PM

Quote:
How can it be south of market? It IS Market. You may be confusing terminology with lower/ upper market.
No, market is the northern edge of the Deco Ghetto. I obviously don't call that part south of market. I call it part of Mid Market, or the edge of Hayes Valley (its basically both, like how the more eastern part of mid market is also part of civic center and then the tenderloin). And the part of the deco ghetto to the south of market, I call SOMA. Lol gotta love arguments over neighborhood definitions and names. There are always those certain areas that not everyone can agree on completely.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:15 PM

I think that's one of the most disputed areas of the city, that and NOPA, in terms of neighborhood names. I usually say Hayes Valley, if it's North of Market, Western SOMA if it's south, or Deco Ghetto sometimes.
I definitely say SOMA, because it's easy. I usually say Western Addition for NOPA but sometimes I will say both if I am trying to describe that sub neighborhood of the Western Addition. I have also heard it called the Divisdero Corridor.

As for The Hub, wouldn't The Intersection be better? I dunno.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 6:30 PM

NOPA is just a name created by realtors that has managed to catch on. I've never heard anyone actually say "Deco Ghetto", but I've seen it mentioned on forums and even some older maps.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2012, 7:31 PM

25 Essex breaks ground today

Bridge, Community Housing break ground on Transbay affordable project
San Francisco Business Times by J.K. Dineen, Reporter
Date: Monday, April 2, 2012, 10:38am PDT

Quote:
Community Housing Partnership and Bridge Housing are breaking ground today on the Rene Cazenave Apartments today at 25 Essex St., a $42.7 million affordable housing project in San Francisco's Transbay Redevelopment Area.

The eight-story building will provide 120 supportive housing apartments: 12 one-bedrooms and 108 studios. All residents will be extremely low income, formerly homeless individuals referred by the San Francisco Department of Public Health's Direct Access to Housing program.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2012, 6:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
NOPA is just a name created by realtors that has managed to catch on. I've never heard anyone actually say "Deco Ghetto", but I've seen it mentioned on forums and even some older maps.

Someone told me that the restuarant NOPA helped coin the term, but I find that hard to believe.

That Community housing building looks good, glad they are doing that.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 1:51 AM

I happen to prefer "the hub" a la the hub and spokes of a wheel. In my mind, SOMA ends at S. Van Ness and the mission starts at duboce. so the neighborhood is the triangle between market, s. van ness and duboce.

the commercial dead zone is really the north side of market between 10th and 12th. west of 12th there are not too many empty store fronts. besides that new bike shop, there's also the pastry cupboard and the old McCarney's furniture store is scheduled for demolition soon (deadline to appeal permits is this week) with condos scheduled to go in. I've also heard that the parking lot on the north side of page, right where it hits franklin is also supposedly turning into condos.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 9:08 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Does anyone have an update regarding 350 Bush and 500 Kearny, a former project with two completely separate buildings that were to be constructed simultaneously? 350 Bush would preserve large parts of the historic Mining Exchange building and 500 Kearny would expand St. Mary's Square park on its roof, both worthy objectives in addition to filling two long time ragged holes in the north Financial District.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations