HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:28 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastperspective
Bank- someone anonymously sent your fantasy Dulski rendering into BRising saying they snuck the plan out of Uniland's office. Luckily they asked if it was the real deal or not and we prevented some embarrassment!

Hah, that's funny man!

...Yeah, and I snuck the Batmobile out for a ride last night!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrussell83

That is frinkin' cool

I wish that were the real deal - I like the added hight!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2006, 5:54 PM

Quote:
I LIKE!!!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 4:05 AM
seriously

you should send that to the developer for inspiration and tell them we are expecting to be "wowed", and if they come up with something lame we'll threaten to "get all Don Apparel on their Ass".

That'll scare em.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2006, 1:22 PM

Quote:
lol. What we really need to do is sneak that rendering INTO Uniland so THEY can do it
No need to sneak, it's already there. Think about it. In order for BRising to check it out, a copy of Bank's Rendering would most likely be faxed to Uniland. Indeed the right people have it, now it all depends on how much they are willing to spend on the project, and if they fear any legal action from "Da Bankster". Im thinking there is no legal problem if they wanted to "use" some of those ideals, but Im suspecting they would want to go cheap as possible. I hope not, but maybe we'll be surprised. Maybe they will want to find out who did this, and set up an interview?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2006, 8:02 PM
Trendy.

No offense, Manhattan, but I'm glad it's not their plan. It's a bit um, too "overdone" for my tastes.

I love your skyline renderings though!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

...and others I've surely forgotten...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 4:20 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulley
No offense, Manhattan, but I'm glad it's not their plan. It's a bit um, too "overdone" for my tastes.

I love your skyline renderings though!

You know, your right Sulley - looking back, this was such a spur of the idea, it actually does feel a bit overdone to me now...it's a bit skewed too.

it's all in good fun -

I do hope they come up with something atractive, none the less though...

No offense taken, thanks for your criticism!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 6:03 PM
seriously

IMO buffalo could use a couple overdone designs. It will get watered down by the time it's built anyway.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestar
IMO buffalo could use a couple overdone designs. It will get watered down by the time it's built anyway.
Over done my ass. Thats right Homestar, not much imagination coming from Buffalo developers these days except Issa's team. Palidino? Please! To much is cheaply done and boring. Stick with it BANKofMANHATTAN, somebody's watching you, wait and see.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2006, 6:52 PM
Go Pens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halovet
Over done my ass. Thats right Homestar, not much imagination coming from Buffalo developers these days except Issa's team. Palidino? Please! To much is cheaply done and boring. Stick with it BANKofMANHATTAN, somebody's watching you, wait and see.

thanks Hal!

Buffalo needs something alright...that's for sure.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 3:27 AM

Plans in the works for the 500 Block

Bob Shibley from UB and Buffalo Place are working with the owners of the properties on the 500 block about doing a joint-venture development. The buildings would be linked together (think Granite Works). Both Main Street and Washington St. properties would be involved, plus development of the Century Theater site/parking lot (behind the old Burger King). CityView Development is potentially taking the lead. They'll be using the $15 million in CPC money that was announced a few months ago. This is just in the early stages, but looks promising.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Plans in the works for the 500 Block

Bob Shibley from UB and Buffalo Place are working with the owners of the properties on the 500 block about doing a joint-venture development. The buildings would be linked together (think Granite Works). Both Main Street and Washington St. properties would be involved, plus development of the Century Theater site/parking lot (behind the old Burger King). CityView Development is potentially taking the lead. They'll be using the $15 million in CPC money that was announced a few months ago. This is just in the early stages, but looks promising.
Wait, does that mean the Burger King is being developed? That building to me is always a wake up call that downtown still has a while to go.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by believeinbflo
Wait, does that mean the Burger King is being developed? That building to me is always a wake up call that downtown still has a while to go.
As of now, no. One of the downtown developers looked into making an offer on the property but the owner wouldn't budge on price and the developer walked. I don't know what it is listed at, but the land has to be worth more than that ugly brick box. Eminent domain anyone?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 10:19 AM

Quote:
As of now, no. One of the downtown developers looked into making an offer on the property but the owner wouldn't budge on price and the developer walked. I don't know what it is listed at, but the land has to be worth more than that ugly brick box. Eminent domain anyone?
Or, they could do like in the days of Mayor "Gangster Frank" Sedita (60s). A few goombas take him for a ride out to Shelinguski Meats, and make him an offer he can't refuse. I mean, I always wondered about the "meat" in the sauce at Chef's!?

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 5:29 PM

We were on CNN this morning:

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 6:42 PM
Trendy.

I Wanna Move To Youngstown!!!

DallasTexan-Boomer-DhallassTecksanne-Disceaux Fantasia-Sulley-Optimus Prime-Gloria Estefan

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 6:46 PM

23 North going residential, 35-40 units by First Amherst Development:

Details here:

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/ar...nite_works.php

And Statler reno. plans presented at Planning Board this morning, details here:

http://www.buffalorising.com/city/ar...hp#commentsall

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 10:12 PM

I'm kinda shocked indy made that list, the others are all post industrial rustbelt cities, Indy, to me, doesn't seem to fit that profile.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2006, 11:21 PM

This project needs to happen!

Brown backs Giambra on ECC growth

Expansion sought as city "wow' factor

By JAY REY and PHIL FAIRBANKS
News Staff Reporters
11/21/2006

"I favor this project, because it would infuse greater energy, excitement and activity in the city's downtown core. I believe this is the right time for this type of expansion." Mayor Byron W. Brown

Erie County Executive Joel A. Giambra has a new ally in his push for a bigger, better Erie Community College downtown.
Mayor Byron W. Brown joined Giambra at a news conference Monday to show his support for a $45 million project that would add a new academic building and more students to ECC's downtown campus.

"Imagine the impact that would have on the continuing development in and around downtown Buffalo," Brown said Monday at the City Campus. "I favor this project, because it would infuse greater energy, excitement and activity in the city's downtown core. I believe this is the right time for this type of expansion."

Money is the issue.

Giambra submitted to the County Legislature a $60 million capital budget for next year, $15 million of which would be set aside for the ECC proposal, a Giambra pet project.

Several legislators, especially those from Buffalo, like the notion of an expanded downtown campus but wonder if the county can afford it at this time. Legislators also want to reduce Giambra's $60 million capital budget, a plan they consider far too costly.

"We're in such austere times," said Legislature Chairwoman Lynn M. Marinelli, D-Town of Tonawanda. "We need to restrain ourselves."

Marinelli wants lawmakers to consider a new approach to capital budgeting. She wants them to approve an amount - her recommendation is $45 million - and decide later how to spend it.

That would give lawmakers more time to evaluate the ECC project, she said, and decide once and for all if it's worth a $15 million investment by the county.

Some members of the ECC board of trustees are concerned that a new building will mean more costs, but the college won't receive additional operating funds from the county.

"I don't think anyone is opposed to some downtown improvements," said ECC Chairman Raymond F. Gallagher, "but at the same time we have to talk about our future financial assistance from the county."

Giambra for several years has pressed for expanding the City Campus, the first phase being a 200,000-square-foot academic building at the site of the former Great Lakes Collections headquarters, property now owned by the county and bounded by South Division, Oak, North Division and Elm streets.

The college would relocate staff and its health, dental and public safety programs to the new building, growing the student population downtown, Giambra said.

The $15 million in county money could trigger matching state funds, Giambra said, while there's an available $10 million in state money that was allocated for ECC but never spent. There's also $1 million previously secured by Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton that could be used for the project, Giambra said.

Long-term plans include privately developed student housing and retail stores around the downtown campus, but Giambra said the academic building is the linchpin.

Giambra, joined at the afternoon news conference by outgoing ECC President William J. Mariani, envisions students coming from out of the area, even out of state, to attend this expanded downtown campus he refers to as "ECC Wow."

"The "wow' campus is going to be in downtown Buffalo," Giambra said. "That's where the action is going to be."

e-mail: jrey@buffnews.com
and pfairbanks@buffnews.com

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 12:32 AM
Trendy.

BTW, I wonder if our "affordable" housing ranking takes taxes into account? Probablo not!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations