HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:32 AM
life is good

Huge tax giveaways used to lure tech firm to Kenner from Atlanta. They "should" hire 320 by 2018. Company cites lure of NO culture to help it draw young grads... (no subscription needed for article...)

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...jobs+to+Kenner

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 1:55 AM
-

Im happy to see the company moving here. BTW that Xerox building they are moving to was just purchased by the same people that own the Exchange Center in the CBD... They are definitely on a roll landing tenants.

UNO gets council OK to lease land for McDonald’s

As it tries to find ways to deal with steep cuts in state spending for higher education, the University of New Orleans has found at least one new way to generate revenue.

The lakefront university intends to lease vacant land it owns but isn’t using to a developer who plans to build a McDonald’s on the site.

Despite objections from nearby residents, the university received the go-ahead from the City Council on Thursday to lease the tract at Elysian Fields Avenue and Leon C. Simon Boulevard.

The council’s 6-0 decision, with Councilwoman Stacy Head absent, came on the recommendation of Councilwoman Cynthia Hedge-Morrell, whose district includes the site. It was her final council meeting before she leaves office May 5.

http://www.theneworleansadvocate.com...-council-ok-to

Krystal plans burger restaurant for former KFC on South Claiborne

The South Claiborne fast-food corridor seems poised to get yet another entry, as Krystal is planning to open a burger restaurant in the old Kentucky Fried Chicken store near Washington Avenue.

The project technically requires City Council approval to reopen as a fast-food restaurant on South Claiborne, but that request sailed through the City Planning Commission at a meeting on Tuesday. Krystal can use the structure of the old KFC building (which has been closed for several years), but they will renovate it with Krystal decor, said Bert Turner of Mouton Long Turner Architects. Once all the city approvals are in hand, the project will likely take about two months to prepare and another 70 days of renovations, he said.

“They would like to have it open in the fall,” Turner said.

The only other Krystal in the city is on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter, which Turner noted is operated by a franchisee, not directly by the Krystal corporation as the South Claiborne location will be. The company recently completed a location on Barataria Boulevard in Marrero, and the only other location nearby is in Slidell.

http://uptownmessenger.com/2014/04/c...live-coverage/

Last edited by tennis1400; Apr 25, 2014 at 3:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:35 AM

Eightball and Tennis: thank you very much for your input on my living situation. I'll see if I can find a place close to Esplanade in the Quarter or Marigny, and if that doesn't work along St Charles on the parade route. Gotta get down there so I can see them first hand and sign the check over immediately.

I'm by no means a fan of parking garages--I prefer them underground like in DC--but I actually think the WWII museum's garage is as good as it gets. Like the garage for the South Market District. As tasteful as you can get.

Big fan of the new renderings for the GNO Foundation building. Looks much better with the mostly glass window side facing traffic coming from Uptown.

What is that 1476 Magazine St building replacing? I thought it was all nice homes one that block... Is there an empty lot there or are they replacing a house?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 4:55 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderOz View Post
What is that 1476 Magazine St building replacing? I thought it was all nice homes one that block... Is there an empty lot there or are they replacing a house?
Empty lot across from Mojo's... used to be a small gas station. Will now be 6 apartments with retail (the "retail" space may actually be an architect's office).

I am watching this one with interest.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:49 PM
-

Went to the streetcar meeting last night... They gave a pretty neat presentation video before they took questions... some people in the audience were really quite rude... but you can never please everyone... overall seems like a nice project... construction shovels are expeceted to be in the ground around november.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 2:58 PM

I went to the opening of Pizza Domenica last night, and I have to say, I was quite impressed. If anyone is interested, I wrote a quick review of it.

http://www.redbeansandlife.com/2014/...gazine-street/

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Went to the streetcar meeting last night... They gave a pretty neat presentation video before they took questions... some people in the audience were really quite rude... but you can never please everyone... overall seems like a nice project... construction shovels are expeceted to be in the ground around november.
Since it's been a while since I've seen an article about this...is it only going to Elysian Fields? Is it going in neutral ground or street?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:06 PM
-

Men rescued from side of CBD high rise: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news/...?absolute=true

Sent from my iPhone

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:12 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcp11889 View Post
Since it's been a while since I've seen an article about this...is it only going to Elysian Fields? Is it going in neutral ground or street?
It's going to Elysian Fields for first phase ... Will be in left car lane ...they are applying to get funding to take it to Poland now... But you never know how those go

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:13 PM

I'm really hoping that they will make Loyola/Rampart/St. Claude one continuous line. Otherwise we end up with two "lines to nowhere" and not mention the added burden on the bus riders whose lines will likely be shortened.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:40 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I'm really hoping that they will make Loyola/Rampart/St. Claude one continuous line. Otherwise we end up with two "lines to nowhere" and not mention the added burden on the bus riders whose lines will likely be shortened.
The intention is to run the line through ... As for buses nothing has been decided yet but there will be plenty of public meetings on the bus lines to hear input

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 3:53 PM

Granaio super-luxury high rise slapped down by New Orleans City Council

Did anyone see this coming? Is this fair balance between progress and preservation? I don't work in real estate, but I can't get over the hurdles many of you face just to break ground. Incredible!

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._river_default

Quote:
The brainchild of the New Orleans-based Downtown Development Group, the 10-story high rise's size and ultra-modern design would have required several zoning and historic-district design variances in order to move forward. Among them, the developers needed an exception for the building's enclosed overhangs, which would have jutted out over the sidewalk on each floor of the building. The striking architectural features would have added square footage to the project, but they also would have helped make the building stick out like an exceptionally chic sore thumb.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 5:23 PM

Downtown Transit Center

This was mentioned previously, but I don't think this was posted...

Ride New Orleans calls on RTA to build a public transportation center in the CBD

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ls_on_rta.html

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 6:42 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT View Post
Did anyone see this coming? Is this fair balance between progress and preservation? I don't work in real estate, but I can't get over the hurdles many of you face just to break ground. Incredible!

I wasn't really following this too closely, but developers don't just get a blanket right to the airspace over public streets. Galleries over sidewalks and cantilevered/hung balconies are typically allowed for historical reasons, but extending the apartments themselves out over the street/sidewalk is going a little too far.

I'm not necessarily sure we should take this to mean the neighborhood opposes modernism or new construction.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 8:48 PM
life is good

I missed that typo thanks for posting.

Edit: why are they calling a 10 story building a hi rise?

Tennis tell us more bout the meeting. I think the line will have high ridership as it is an extension of the Loyola one... only to Elysian is way too short tho

Last edited by Eightball; Apr 25, 2014 at 10:30 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 9:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPT View Post

Every project has its unique set of circumstances but the project had some issues with height and zoning waivers that were still needed so it was kind of unfortunate the way it happened. And yes the HDLC is totally against any type of modernism. There are a lot of issues here but ultimately he will have to go back to the drawing board. Its why I went a certain route with my look. Its not worth the effort just to get turned down. These renderings and conceptual massings aren't free. So basically the developer just wasted a lot of money and never gets it back. Wish there were better ways to do things! NIMBYS are hard to beat! Our project was about as harmless and as of right as you can get and we still had some resistance. Bruno is also probably getting , unfairly, the ire of those who lots the Tracage battle! Hes on basically the same block! Reading the article it seems like he has other plans in place to pursue. Guess we will see where this heads, but my main concern is getting architecture based on public opinion. I don't like that at al land think that its a bad precedent. You have twenty people and you will have twenty different opinions!

On another note, when are the two hotels proposed on tchoupitoulas supposed to be heard?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2014, 10:22 PM

That's too bad about the Granaio building... hopefully they'll be able to come up with a design in the same vein that can pass muster.

@PRaff... I was actually going to go to PD but ended up cooking at home (and reading this while I ate)... I'm going to have to add your blog to my internet rotation. I'm not a huge fan of the original Domenica but I think part of that is if I'm going to have to park downtown and all that I want steak or some other high-end fare, which is why I'm excited about this concept... I can just go eat pizza without having to "keep up appearances".

Old Posted Apr 26, 2014, 12:15 PM
life is good

Love the name of PRaff's blog! This is awesome, too:

Quote:
As a born and bred New Orleanian, on a good day you will find him eating oysters and/or crawfish at the Fly, and on a bad day you might find him in jail.
OPP residents baby!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
That's too bad about the Granaio building... hopefully they'll be able to come up with a design in the same vein that can pass muster.

@PRaff... I was actually going to go to PD but ended up cooking at home (and reading this while I ate)... I'm going to have to add your blog to my internet rotation. I'm not a huge fan of the original Domenica but I think part of that is if I'm going to have to park downtown and all that I want steak or some other high-end fare, which is why I'm excited about this concept... I can just go eat pizza without having to "keep up appearances".
@eightball and @Chris from N.O. Thanks for the positive response! We've been working really hard on this blog. We originally thought of this idea because we noticed there wasn't a blog really dedicated to living life in New Orleans. We're hoping that eventually people looking to come to this city or people that have recently moved will look to Red Beans and Life for cultural inspiration.

Speaking of which, I recently posted another article discussing how Uber and other alternatives to cabs, such as Lyft, could overhaul the New Orleans transportation industry, but why it probably won't happen anytime soon. If you get a chance, I would love to hear any feedback.

Here's the link-- New Orleans Transportation Needs a Lyft

Old Posted Apr 28, 2014, 5:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by P Raff View Post
@eightball and @Chris from N.O. Thanks for the positive response! We've been working really hard on this blog. We originally thought of this idea because we noticed there wasn't a blog really dedicated to living life in New Orleans. We're hoping that eventually people looking to come to this city or people that have recently moved will look to Red Beans and Life for cultural inspiration.

Speaking of which, I recently posted another article discussing how Uber and other alternatives to cabs, such as Lyft, could overhaul the New Orleans transportation industry, but why it probably won't happen anytime soon. If you get a chance, I would love to hear any feedback.

Here's the link-- New Orleans Transportation Needs a Lyft
I sent an email to Latoya Cantrells office and she said absolutely supports bringing Uber and likeminded services to New Orleans. So hopefully the ball gets rolling sooner rather than later.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations