HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 3:29 PM

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 7:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
http://urbanize.la/post/another-resi...nned-koreatown

36-story tower to rise next to Wilshire Park Place in Koreatown
People are tearing this proposal apart on urbanize.

"That private property green space is the only green space we have in the area, Email Mayor Garcetti and the neighborhood council member and make them stop this project"

Ok....

" Even though its private property, I still feel that it shouldn't be allowed to be turned into housing"

wow....

" This tower doesn't fit in with the area"

that one was laughable

" Put it downtown or somewhere else, not here"

because being near a metro station accounts for nothing these days?

Here's my beef. Instead of blocking projects like this that are so close to metro stations, How about you take that argument to the 100s of country clubs/golf courses in this city that are so huge and take up so much space but are only used by a few dozen entitled people a day ( Wilshire Country Club, Rancho Park Golf Course, and my personal favorite (hated) The Los Angeles Country Club).

Yeah we need a lot more pocket parks, but in this case, I side with the owner. Its their property, they can do what they want. And right now we need the density, especially that close to a metro station.

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 26, 2016 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
Yeah we need a lot more pocket parks, but in this case, I side with the owner. Its their property, they can do what they want.
To be fair, if the owner wanted to build a parking structure instead, you'd be singing a different tune.

But I have to admit initially, my reaction was just like those people complaining because they're right. There's hardly any greenspace in the area which is why that small green space is so highly thought of. But then, I remembered that specific green space isn't really used as a park. It's mostly used as a skate park and doesn't really fulfill what a park actually does. It just looks/feels like greenspace when one drives/walks by it when in reality it's underutilized greenspace.

This reaction simply shows how desperate this area is for any greenspace. I remember that one fake park development sign posted on Vermont/Wilshire a few years ago before the Vermont was built. It got locals pretty excited for the project because everyone wants park space.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by caligrad View Post
People are tearing this proposal apart on urbanize.

"That private property green space is the only green space we have in the area, Email Mayor Garcetti and the neighborhood council member and make them stop this project"

Ok....

" Even though its private property, I still feel that it shouldn't be allowed to be turned into housing"

wow....

" This tower doesn't fit in with the area"

that one was laughable

" Put it downtown or somewhere else, not here"

because being near a metro stop accounts for nothing these days?

Here's my beef. Instead of blocking projects like this that are so close to metro stations, How about you take that argument to the 100s of country clubs/golf courses in this city that are so huge and take up so much space but are only allowed to be used by a few dozen people a day ( Wilshire Country Club, Rancho Park Golf Course, and my personal favorite (hated) The Los Angeles Country Club).

Yeah we need a lot more pocket parks, but in this case, I side with the owner. Its their property, they can do what they want. And right now we need the density, especially that close to a metro station.
That mike guy seems pretty dumb and unhinged. Hope thats not any of you guys lol.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
That mike guy seems pretty dumb and unhinged. Hope thats not any of you guys lol.
It seems the urbanize comment section is starting to be invaded by NIMBYs. The other day I commented on the post about the 5 story mixed use building on Franklin, saying that Franklin should have bike lanes. Then this guy who I've seen commenting on NIMBY City Watch articles wrote like a 5 paragraph response about how that will congest the roads, and public transportation is too expensive and a bad idea, and how he hates Garcetti.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
It seems the urbanize comment section is starting to be invaded by NIMBYs. The other day I commented on the post about the 5 story mixed use building on Franklin, saying that Franklin should have bike lanes. Then this guy who I've seen commenting on NIMBY City Watch articles wrote like a 5 paragraph response about how that will congest the roads, and public transportation is too expensive and a bad idea, and how he hates Garcetti.
Shoo shoo NIMBYs!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 3:51 PM

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
Shoo shoo NIMBYs!
Here's the dude. https://twitter.com/boxbro39/status/757664846439559168

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 8:40 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Excellent! I wonder if they'll stick with the same design theme.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 9:07 PM

^^^ That's what I was thinking. Hopefully its similar but not identical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally West View Post
To be fair, if the owner wanted to build a parking structure instead, you'd be singing a different tune.
hhhhhhhhmmmmmm not necessarily.

I didn't whine when Joes parking built that parking garage across the street from Metropolis. All I asked was that they were considerate and put ground floor retail, which was their initial plan. Not sure what in the hell happened with that.

If you really wanted to predict my responses.

(Scenarios)

Empty plot of land for sale, developer buys it and proposes a parking garage only, THEN I MIGHT cause a commotion.

Current owner of property is adding a parking garage, which literally happens all of the time in this city, what can you do ? its their property.

But in this current situation, adding a parking garage in the front of this building would be an all around bad business decision and pretty common sense, from a business stand point, on what NOT to do. So that argument is void.

Best example. There is a house across the street from my apartment building. Its literally the ONLY house on the entire street and it has a huge front yard. Should that homeowner be forced to open their front yard to the neighborhood because of a lack of parks ????? NO!

Last edited by caligrad; Jul 26, 2016 at 7:58 AM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 4:05 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 6:22 PM

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:02 PM

Great news, it looks like the two hotel project planned for Hill and Colorado adjacent to PCC is going to move forward!

Best of all, sounds like they're going to keep the small historical showroom building on the corner of the property.

http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/not-...ship-near-pcc/

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 10:46 PM

^^^ Will that project also be taking out the Chevron gas station?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Incredibly excited about this project, which will replace a surface parking lot and a collection of derelict structures with much needed housing and street fronting retail. And based on the renderings the design isn't half bad.

For those who don't know, there is also a new OSH store set to break ground this year directly across Hollywood Blvd between Edgemont and Kenmore, which will involve demolition of the long abandoned Cordon's Market and the recently vacated children's dentistry practice beside it. Parking will be underground and it looks to be zero lot line construction with an urban character.

Keep an eye on this Thai Town/ Little Armenia stretch of Hollywood and Sunset. It will look very different in ten years.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Great news, it looks like the two hotel project planned for Hill and Colorado adjacent to PCC is going to move forward!

Best of all, sounds like they're going to keep the small historical showroom building on the corner of the property.

http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/not-...ship-near-pcc/

I was in Pasadena last week. There's a fair amount of housing going up. Pasadena just has an amazing downtown with transit, good parks, cool old buildings, good retail etc. The only thing that really needs to be improved is the bicycle infrastructure. Not a lot of bike lanes there right now

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kill 'em View Post
I was in Pasadena last week. There's a fair amount of housing going up. Pasadena just has an amazing downtown with transit, good parks, cool old buildings, good retail etc. The only thing that really needs to be improved is the bicycle infrastructure. Not a lot of bike lanes there right now
That is coming as well.. They will be getting the second leg of our bike share next year, same system as DTLA

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 9:30 PM

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 9:46 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Excellent! I wonder if they'll stick with the same design theme.
I don't know, but this rendering has been out in the ether for a while now.

http://www.tcaconstruction.com/wp-co...od-and-Tao.jpg

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 11:43 PM

ESPN editor reports:
Quote:
NBA sources say Clippers are actively exploring sites for new arena. One area that interests: Westside. Staples Ctr lase runs thru 2024.
Where would Balmer find any space for a stadium in the Westside? And even if he does, good fucking luck against the NIMBYs.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations