HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Would you like to separate this thread for individual station projects?
Yes 19 31.15%
No 42 68.85%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:07 PM

Metrotown Station's Central Stationhouse is opening March 24.

http://buzzer.translink.ca/2017/03/m...march-24-2017/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Metrotown Station's Central Stationhouse is opening March 24.
Forgive me for not keeping up with the changes, but does this mean that the east stationhouse is now closed permanently? I had always just assumed that it would eventually reopen but what I'm seeing is at odds with that.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2017, 8:40 PM

East station house is being rebuilt to the same design as the west station how (4 escalators to/from platform).

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 1:31 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 2:26 AM
Transit User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aberdeen5698 View Post
Forgive me for not keeping up with the changes, but does this mean that the east stationhouse is now closed permanently? I had always just assumed that it would eventually reopen but what I'm seeing is at odds with that.
East stations completely gone - there is not a stone left :-)

But as somebody pointed out previously it is being re-built - at this point they are working on new foundations.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:13 AM

what it says...

Quote:
Yes, you read that right. The first two of three brand new elevators will go into service at noon on March 24, 2017.

And hey, these aren’t just any old elevators! These two new speedy elevators are glass (and shiny!) which means you can see them coming and going. They will replace the single elevator that was at the station. Once the remaining elevator completes testing, commissioning and inspecting, it will also open. All elevators are expected to be open by May.

In addition to new elevators, the existing Compass readers will be replaced with permanent Compass fare gates.

This is a huge milestone for the station! The new central stationhouse will fully open, providing customers with a new permanent set of stairs (goodbye temporary staircase!), two more Compass Vending Machines, two elevators and a new entrance and exit out of the station.

With these upgrades, customers on the platform can take the elevator, new stairs or the emergency exit stairs on the west side of the station to access Central Boulevard.
http://buzzer.translink.ca/2017/03/m...march-24-2017/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reecemartin View Post
It's interesting how we are starting to see two classes of Innovia Ksytrain stations, imo the renovated ones are incredibly good pretty much up to the specs of the Evergreen Line, sans improved guideway intrusion detection unless I'm wrong?
That is correct. I'd have to check back in the Board Meeting reports to remember whether they're planning to replace the intrusion detection system on the Expo Line.

Tangentially related to that and system updates, there's a new TV screen at the bottom of the escalators at Waterfront on the Cordova side that displays the next arriving/departing trains and their destinations. It's similar to the ones in the ticket hall areas of Evergreen stations.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Tangentially related to that and system updates, there's a new TV screen at the bottom of the escalators at Waterfront on the Cordova side that displays the next arriving/departing trains and their destinations. It's similar to the ones in the ticket hall areas of Evergreen stations.
Well that's good news. Does the TV display departure times like on the Evergreen Line?

What do you mean by the Cordova side? Do you mean the exit that goes up into Waterfront Station (fronted by Cordova) or the exit that goes up to Howe near Cordova?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
Well that's good news. Does the TV display departure times like on the Evergreen Line?
Yeah, basically same format as the Evergreen Line.

Photo by https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_yvr/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraki View Post

Bothers me that whomever is the programmer/designer of the PID software didn't account for terminus station situations... aka no need for the platform 1 cell. Even more odd as terminus stations utilize this system the most....

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:26 AM

Quote:

The blue E !!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:26 AM

Quote:
An interesting aside, Amazon recently put their first "locker" in Canada in New West. The basically let people have their stuff delivered faster to a central location where they can enter a pin to pick it up, pretty convenient depending on your situation and what you are ordering... Would be cool to see these at Skytrain stations in the future, a good way to draw more people in.
It is not the first locker installed in Canada. There are two other companies that are doing similar things (InPost and OMNION) :

https://inpost24.ca/ and http://omnioninc.com

A little bit different but very similar concept is what Penguin Pickup is also doing: https://www.penguinpickup.com/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
Bothers me that whomever is the programmer/designer of the PID software didn't account for terminus station situations... aka no need for the platform 1 cell. Even more odd as terminus stations utilize this system the most....
Seems to be some Daktronics System.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Although most of the time platform 2 is used for departing train, I have encountered a few occasions trains would enter platform 1 and then reverse direction without looping back to platform 2. In that situation, the display would use the platform 1 cell.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 4:47 AM
Shoebox Dweller

Quote:
Trains do depart from Platform 1 from time to time, just as they arrive at Platform 2 from time to time. Not terribly useful, but not without use either. The font is large enough for 99% of the population, so no harm.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:02 AM

Quote:

Why does Waterfront get an actual TV display, and the Evergreen stations get low-res displays that don't look nearly as good?

Photo: Kenneth Chan, Daily Hive

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpogue View Post
Why does Waterfront get an actual TV display, and the Evergreen stations get low-res displays that don't look nearly as good?

Photo: Kenneth Chan, Daily Hive
Perhaps one is designed for indoor installations and the other for outdoor installations. That Evergreen display looks like it has a more substantial housing on it. Would not be surprised if it is even more expensive.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 6:12 AM
Vancouver Moderator

The Evergreen Line displays will probably last 30 years, unlike that TV.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:25 PM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 8:40 PM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It's excellent to see this, would be good if we got these displays in more stations particularly on the Canada Line and during station renovations in the future. I'd like to see a second and maybe third display added to show next bus departures similar to Toronto as well.
All the Canada Line stations already have next 3 trains' arrival times and destinations displayed.

It was the first stations to have them.

No need to change them.

These new displays on the M / E Lines are just playing catchup, but with technology that is 8 years newer, hence the arguably more polished displays.

Replacing all the Canada Line displays would be a huge waste of money and resources.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure