HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 3:14 AM

The "last eastern city" and "first western city"

I've heard this often applied to St. Louis and Kansas City and even St. Paul and Minneapolis.

In Canada, Thunder Bay and Winnipeg could have the monikers.

(This assumes of course there's no "neither east or west" middle zone, forcing various areas of the American Midwest to "pick a side.").

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 3:47 AM
Posh

Last eastern city: Kansas City
First western city: Kansas City

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 3:51 AM

Hmm...maybe should have posed a question.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
I've heard this often applied to St. Louis and Kansas City and even St. Paul and Minneapolis.

(This assumes of course there's no "neither east or west" middle zone, forcing various areas of the American Midwest to "pick a side.").
But, but, but, I thought St. Louis was the gateway to the west?

An alternative is Dallas and Fort Worth if some are to be believed.

In modern times, Missouri is not even close to the west. Denver is the first/last city in the west while Pittsburgh is where I say the east begins. It's a transition zone.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:30 AM

Okay, semi-scratch everything I just wrote. It's not totally invalid but here's my new criterIa that popped into my head. The west starts west of the Rockies and the east starts east of the Mississippi. We have three contenders in St. Paul, New Orleans and Memphis. None seem really eastern so we move a little further east and there's Chicago. As for the west, it seems like a tie between Salt Lake and Phoenix. To break it, we move further west and the answer is Las Vegas.

Las Vegas and Chicago. Okay, that's not what I really believe but I at least tried something more scientific.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:49 AM
IWant2BeInSTL

^ None of these terms have to do with strict geographical locations, though, and saying that the west starts at the Rockies and the east at the Mississippi is completely arbitrary. It's about genealogy and historical context. In terms of architectural styles, KC is more similar to Denver than St. Louis, and St. Louis is more similar to Pittsburgh. The transition from "eastern" to "western" across Missouri is pretty stark, IMO. If we split the US into northern, central, and southern latitudes, I'd say St. Louis is the westernmost eastern city in the central zone. And it's the "Gateway to the West" in the context of westward expansion, obviously. The "new" gateway to the west--in terms of when the culture starts to "feel" western--would be either KC or Denver, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 4:58 AM

Probably not very accurate, but this has always been a popular saying in Fort Worth: "Dallas is where the east peters out, and Fort Worth is where the West Begins!" The latter is the official motto or slogan for Fort Worth by the way.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 6:48 AM

For the US there are many options, St. Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis-St. Paul, etc. Any state that borders the Mississippi I think could lay claim to being a gateway to the west. It just depends at which point on the north-south axis you are traveling westward.
Since Canada is much more sparsely populated I think Winnipeg has to be the gateway city between the east and west. Winnipeg needs a monument like the Gateway Arch.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post

Midwest is a misnomer. Most of the American Midwest is physically east, and I think most is also culturally "east." The areas bordering the South and Plains tend to take on characteristics of those areas, but the Great Lakes Midwest has a lot of overlap with the northeast and mid-Atlantic coast.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 2:50 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Honolulu or Darwin. I'd otherwise say Hagatna but it's too small to be a city.

/troll

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 2:53 PM
BANNED

First western city would Denver in what would be the first western state Colorado. Kansas would never be considered western.

Chicago 87W is firmly in the midwest and is a midwestern city.

Atlanta is the last (or is it first) eastern city. 84 degrees west -- really not too much farther east than Chicago - which puts it at the same line of latitude as Cincinnati and further west than Detroit. GA is an eastern state, one of the original 13 colonies in the eastern time zone.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 3:22 PM

Culturally, is it safe to say the West began where the ranching and cowboy culture started, or is that simplifying it too much? Here in Canada I, like others, see Winnipeg as an Eastern type city..At least architecturally..It's our transition to our West. We don't have the population to see a clearer transition.No mid west really.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 3:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Culturally, is it safe to say the West began where the ranching and cowboy culture started, or is that simplifying it too much?
Seems legit to me. In my mind, for the U.S., any state whose eastern boundary starts west of Texas's eastern most boundary is West. The rest are "not West."

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 5:17 PM
Old Fart Forumer

I have a feeling if you asked native New Yorkers, most would say the east ends at the Hudson River and the west starts at Jersey City.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
First western city would Denver in what would be the first western state Colorado. Kansas would never be considered western.

Chicago 87W is firmly in the midwest and is a midwestern city.

Atlanta is the last (or is it first) eastern city. 84 degrees west -- really not too much farther east than Chicago - which puts it at the same line of latitude as Cincinnati and further west than Detroit. GA is an eastern state, one of the original 13 colonies in the eastern time zone.
Dodge City would never be considered western? Kansas can be considered western, even though it shouldn't.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Ithacan View Post
I have a feeling if you asked native New Yorkers, most would say the east ends at the Hudson River and the west starts at Jersey City.
Not the east, the world.

Heck, not the world, the universe.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 6:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
Dodge City would never be considered western? Kansas can be considered western, even though it shouldn't.
It depends. Are we talking about today's world, or 1875?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 7:06 PM

The European settlement of San Francisco began in 1774 after a Spanish exploratory party had reached it in 1769. The usual date of the still-existing Mission is 1776:

https://missiontour.org/wp/sanfranci...o-de-asis.html

It is clearly a "western city" since you can't go much farther west on the North American continent and, as the city's song says, "You're the heart of all the golden West."

I think that relatively early founding date and its extreme western location puts it in the running for "first western city".

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 8:28 PM

Istanbul

Old Posted Nov 19, 2017, 8:40 PM

What about Europe? Vienna? Prague? Berlin?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions