HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Nov 25, 2011, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Good spot for a downtown Jack Astors to compete with the BP that's near.
This could very well be the case, as my waitress at their Dartmouth Crossing location said they were looking at opening a third Halifax restaurant in the downtown area.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 10:16 PM

Halifax Shopping Centre prepares space for mystery tenant

November 28, 2011 - 5:43pm By COLLEEN COSGROVE Business Reporter

Swinging hammers at the Halifax Shopping Centre have rumours flying about which retailer will soon inhabit the 7,000-square-foot-space being prepped.

Renovations are underway near Sears to make way for the new tenant. But with negotiations still in progress, mall marketing director Linda Townsend said her lips are sealed.

She would not divulge the genre of the company, whether it’s American or Canadian, or if it already has a presence in Halifax.

“We think it’s pretty exciting, absolutely,” Townsend told The Chronicle Herald on Monday.

“We’re constantly evolving our retail mix to meet the demands of our customers.”

Gap occupies a 12,000-square-foot space, while Sephora lays claim to 5,200 square feet.

Structural renovations of the space have begun and an announcement will be made as soon as negotiations wrap up, Townsend said. She expects the new store to be fully operational next fall.

When renovations began, the local Twitter-sphere buzzed about Apple joining the ranks and setting up its first official store in the city.

“Rumour about an Apple store: Heard elevator near Sears at Halifax Shopping Centre to be removed & store with big electrical needs coming in,” a local Tweeter said.

Townsend said removing the elevator “possibly could be part of (the renovation), yes,” but noted that it’s not currently the focus of the renovations.

Employees at local authorized Apple resellers like the HalifaxMac Store and PCPC said the rumours have little credibility.

“We haven’t heard anyone talking about this in the store at all,” a PCPC employee said Monday.

Another employee at the Halifax Mac Store said he’s grown tired of the rumour that he said has been circulating regularly for “the past 10 years.”

Apple did not respond to an interview request, and a search of the Apple corporate website shows no indication of any action in Atlantic Canada.

Apple has eight stores in the Toronto area, four in Quebec, two each in Calgary and Edmonton, and one each in Ottawa and Winnipeg.

(ccosgrove@herald.ca)

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 10:29 PM

Sounds like Apple too me, who else would they try to hide? Its about time they move too this city!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:18 PM

What space exactly are they talking about? And what elevator?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:29 PM

Could be a Disney Apple-Inspired Store.

http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/12/dis...ple-store.html

Old Posted Nov 28, 2011, 11:45 PM

(ignore this. apparently, you can't actually delete posts you wrote.)

Last edited by pblaauw; Nov 29, 2011 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 12:08 AM
Urban Thinker

Apple would be freaking amazing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
What space exactly are they talking about? And what elevator?
I believe they are talking about the space between Sears & Coles. It was the Sony Store and before that Music World.

There must have been an old service lift in that area.

An Apple Store would be nice. Having said that, there is an Apple Store here in Ottawa. I've been in it twice. The novelty wears off quickly.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 2:24 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Yum! Granny Smith.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:05 AM

7 000 sq.ft. seems big for an Apple store (I believe they are usually 4500 sq. ft. in malls). It's most likely Apple, Victoria's Secret or Abercrombie & Fitch. My hunch is that it is Abercrombie as they are always between 6000 and 10 000 q. ft, and like to locate close to Hollister (directly above in this case).

Also, I found this online:
(http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Nova-S...at=abercrombie %26 fitch&where=halifax&cli=1,4&le=164a).

Anways, whatever store it is, it only means good things for Halifax!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:13 AM

I think the elavator they mean is the one found in this PDF lease plan of the top floor. If you look at the space between Cole's and Sears, there is a small elevator in the back. Obviously Cole's is moving elsewhere or simply closing.

http://www.20vic.com/1109pdfs/HALIFA...PING%20CTR.pdf

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:28 AM
BANNED

Apple hasn't a store in Vancouver?... That surprises me.

Welp, it would be a grand addition to the Halifax Shopping Centre.
I'm slightly excited to discover what this space eventually becomes!
(I usually don't care about retail)

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 3:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
I think the elavator they mean is the one found in this PDF lease plan of the top floor. If you look at the space between Cole's and Sears, there is a small elevator in the back. Obviously Cole's is moving elsewhere or simply closing.

http://www.20vic.com/1109pdfs/HALIFA...PING%20CTR.pdf
Thanks for posting the pdf. It would be a shame to loose Coles. Hopefully it will open in a new location in the mall. There are a lot of changes happening at HSC. I can't wait to see the mall when I get home for Christmas.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 5:54 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Apple hasn't a store in Vancouver?... That surprises me.
There are a couple in Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:22 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Also, I found this online:
(http://www.yellowpages.ca/bus/Nova-S...at=abercrombie %26 fitch&where=halifax&cli=1,4&le=164a).

Anways, whatever store it is, it only means good things for Halifax!
I thought maybe that Hollister had been listed under the Abercrombie parent name when I saw this. After checking Hollisters phone number though they are different. Who knows? Maybe?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I thought maybe that Hollister had been listed under the Abercrombie parent name when I saw this. After checking Hollisters phone number though they are different. Who knows? Maybe?
Did you call? See who or if there is an answer?

My bet is on Victoria's Secret. I was in one in Connecticut and 7000 sq ft is about right. Plus we already discussed this on the forum back in March..

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=5198810

Old Posted Nov 29, 2011, 10:02 PM

Yes, I called the number several times but there was never an answer. My bet is also on Victoria's Secret. However, Apple is over-due so I'd expect them very soon, regardless of what this store ends up being. Also keep in mind that come January, Mic Mac will be dividing up Toys R Us' old space. Apple could end up there. 7 000 sq. ft. just seems too big for Apple in a mall.

I would be very surprised if it was Abercrombie & Fitch as there are only 4 stores in Canada right now. The last one to open was Calgary's in Sept. 2010. Unless Hollister is doing extraordinarily well here...

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:33 AM

My bet is on A&F, especially since a Hollister rep left me some A&F 30% off coupons after teir last rental last week.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 12:48 AM
BANNED

I don't really see how 7000sf is too big for an Apple Store. Their store in Ottawa is about that size, and that's a smaller one by their standards. An Apple store in Halifax would be catering to a fairly large regional market so it makes enough business sense to go that big.

A&F and Victoria's Secret also do not account for the larger demand in electrical capacity that the article suggests is being installed.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2011, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Crawford View Post
I don't really see how 7000sf is too big for an Apple Store. Their store in Ottawa is about that size, and that's a smaller one by their standards. An Apple store in Halifax would be catering to a fairly large regional market so it makes enough business sense to go that big.

A&F and Victoria's Secret also do not account for the larger demand in electrical capacity that the article suggests is being installed.
You could be right, but I just quickly researched their normal size and it is usually 4500 sq. ft. 7000 deviates quite a bit from that. But maybe it is a large Apple store?

I don't know how reliable that tweeter is that said the store has big electrical needs is, but that would kinda eliminate A&F and VS. I guess time will tell...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General