HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 25, 2015, 5:40 PM
Burming Hammer

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:01 PM
Burming Hammer

great weekend in the city! hope y'all got to get out and enjoy some of it...

jazzfest, brewfest, slicefest, pride, barons games, symphony in the park, etc.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
What a great step forward for Birmingham if a rail system could be built. Too bad Alabamas's gasoline tax would likely not be used.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 9:26 PM
Burming Hammer

nothing new, but nice read nonetheless...

Birmingham Building Boom

Old Posted Jun 8, 2015, 11:32 PM
Cat Enthusiast

The BBJ reporting that the BJCTA plans to bring BRT to Birmingham. They're considering initial lines that would connect the airport to Uptown, then to the intermodal facility. Also, a line that would extend from downtown to the Crossplex area. Officials say they would examine ridership following the "aftermath" of the world games to determine if replacing the BRT footprint with rail is warranted.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 4:27 PM

Was at the boxing match last night at Bartow. The atmosphere was surreal and electric. I screamed "Deontay" at the top of my lungs and lost it once he knocked his opponent out in the 9th round.

If Wilder gets more events like this around the state, boxing could become a big event in the state

Old Posted Jul 20, 2015, 1:44 AM
Burming Hammer

the inaugural sloss fest was impressive! i was only able to attend the first day due to vacation, but man i hope this sticks around.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 11:06 PM

I walked by the 20 Metro project today, they are finishing up the 1st phase with Starbucks opened and the 2nd phase is coming up out of the ground. They mentioned in an article last month that there would be a 3rd phase, it looks like the developer has bought the entire block and that would make for a huge project. So far no other information was given about phase 3.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 6:39 PM
Burming Hammer

yeah I've been wondering if it's the lot that currently all the construction materials / trailers are in, or if it would be the liberty national building itself?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2015, 10:27 PM

Quote:
yeah I've been wondering if it's the lot that currently all the construction materials / trailers are in, or if it would be the liberty national building itself?
Yes, it is the lot with the construction materials/trailer on it. The Liberty National Building is own by Corporate Realty Developers, I think they are the ones that started Regions Field.

Also, I walked by the Homewood Suites site in 5 Pts. South today, and there are metal beams and an elevator shaft coming up out of the ground.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 11:13 PM

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 5:55 PM

Biz Magazine list Birmingham among top in economic development

Birmingham is making huge strides to revitalize their downtown and adding more jobs.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 6:29 PM
The Salty Ham

I feel that Fairfield's collapse is imminent and that city has no choice but to enter Chapter 9 bankruptcy. Whether or not they will be able to emerge from that as a functioning municipality is the question and they may have no choice but to dissolve.

I would think that the opportunity to absorb Miles College and 11k citizens would be an all plus side proposition but there remains taking on debts that they have racked up as well that may not get discharged in bankruptcy.

I think the city would be interested in annexing and I hope this would set some dominoes falling that would encourage Midfield, Brighton and Lipscomb to do the same.

Cleaning up the west side is very important for the cities image and a stronger more united Birmingham with its police force has a better chance of pulling that off in my opinion.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 6:00 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Watching the news tonight, it looks like Fairfield is willing to do anything to remain solvent. I've heard that local businesses have benefited from WalMart's closing, but obviously, a healthy boost for local/small businesses isn't going to be substantial enough, or quick enough, to turn the tides for the town's finances.

It's really sad. Fairfield is the most densely populated city in the Alabama (thanks to the city being a planned community from its founding), and has some solid bones. It's a shame, but it's looking like annexation into Birmingham is the city's only legit option. On the news tonight, the Fairfield council is considering even eliminating it's police department and garbage pickup.

Annexing Fairfield into the city seems like the only way to even remotely maintain the quality of life for the town's citizens.

Really, all of the little towns along 20/59 between Birmingham and Bessemer just need to be annexed into either Bessemer or Birmingham.

Fairfield... Midfield... Brighton... Lipscomb... none of them are exactly in great shape.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 4:19 PM
The Salty Ham

As bad as Western Hills mall has gotten with headline leading incidents, closing up Fairfield's PD should be considered a criminal act. The Jefferson Co. Sheriff's department just doesn't have the manpower to provide the coverage that area needs.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:24 PM
The Salty Ham

Looking back around this time last year they were talking about cutting back police due to budget issues...even before Wal-Mart dipped on them. That city can not afford even less police as is what is on the table now.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/in...fairfield.html

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 4:37 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Birmingham-Hoover Metro grew by 1,875 between July2014 and July2015. That's a quicker clip than years between the 2010 decennial census and the 2014 estimate release.

LINK

Good sign. Area is growing faster than it previously was. I had to do some digging to find this, so I don't know exactly how the population growth occurred in each individual county; we'll have to wait until around 11AM today to figure that out.

Either way, the fact that the metro is growing faster than it previously was (even though it's a small increase) is a good sign. I hope that when we look at the Quickfacts on Thursday we'll at least see an increase in Jefferson County's population. I'm sure Walker and Bibb will see decreases; but, then, you never know.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:25 PM
The Salty Ham

That is good news. And hopefully Jeffco and Birmingham show some gains no matter how small they may be. The city has shown a tiny plus and hopefully it has built some momentum. By 2020 there should be some real palpable respectable gains for both on the books.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 7:45 PM
Burming Hammer

agreed. when does the census release it's annual city population estimates?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 11:30 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
That is good news. And hopefully Jeffco and Birmingham show some gains no matter how small they may be. The city has shown a tiny plus and hopefully it has built some momentum. By 2020 there should be some real palpable respectable gains for both on the books.
Unfortunately, JeffCo lost a few hundred people

Quote:
agreed. when does the census release it's annual city population estimates?
May, here's a link to the release dates: LINK

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast