HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Homewood Suites by Hilton Hamilton in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:11 PM

Is This Building Actually Under Construction?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2009, 3:20 PM
It's Hammer Time

They demolished the building so it was under construction. Now it's a flat empty land.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
Has anyone seen the lot recently? The city placed cement blocks around the HMP portion to stop them from parking cars there. Thank Bob Bratina for that. Apparently he isn't as in bed with the Vranichs as we might have thought. It's an important symbolic victory even as though it reminds us that the Hilton is pretty much in limbo.
Really? I can't see Bob as anything but a straight up guy, and the idea of him being in bed with someone seems foreign.

If the Liberals succeed in convincing him to run, he's going to be their equivalent of Garth Turner cause right or wrong he sticks up for what he believes in and his constituents.

Ps. Just read Bob's reply. I had no idea people were going to that length to bring him down!

http://forwardhamilton.blogspot.com/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 8:05 PM

Yeah, sorry I even brought that up.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 9:57 PM

Curious to know..

On my home this morning I always cut through the many parking lots of this city to get get home faster as I walk mostly..
However this morning there was something parked in the far corner of the empty HMC lot and within it's stone boundries that wasn't there the other day, and sits right across from Atium village..
A supply trailer and other equipment under tarp with the company info on it which reads..
Soil-MAT
as well as its website
http://www.soil-mat.on.ca

Any Idea why it suddenly showed up here?

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:29 PM

All I know is that Vranich applied to demo the federal building. Apparently the hotel he's building is going to be so big it needs the rest of that block leveled before he can get started.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:39 PM

Then he better be planning a grandiose Vegas styled fountain with live acts and colourful light shows..
heh!

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:45 PM
Hammer'd

It's pathetic that he will probably get that permit as well, after already knocking the HMP over and operating an illegal parking lot on it for several months (which has still had absolutely no development to date).

Just another empty lot to turn into a parking lot for Hess Village, which ironically is also a big Vranich investment.

This stuff sickens me.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 13, 2011, 10:54 PM

C'mon now..
Hamilton doesn't have enough parking spaces, we are in so much need of them it isn't funny!!
Nothing says more of a healthy city, then blocks upon blocks of empty space reserved in the downtown core for the beloved auto!

Sarcasm

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 2:02 PM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Jan 14, 2011, 2:30 PM

Here's a thought, maybe Vranich should get going on one of the 101 other projects he has proposed before they let him demolish another building. How many derelict buildings does this guy own? How many has he demolished and not replaced?

A better question is, how many buildings has he actually built? It seems all he does is buy buildings, let them rot, tear them down and then...nothing.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 12:00 AM

Flar,

"....nothing." Doesn't stop there, he collects revenue from the illegal parking spots - really a gold mine.

What a friggin' wasteland. Sad and pathetic. Isn't there a moratorium on parking lots in this city? I currently live across the street - and guess what - after years of "nothing", come April I will be exploiting the cheap old massive historic home options - moving out of the downtown. Oh, and I'm no longer supporting the dt either, lets shop Burlington. Enough support is enough.

So disappointing.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 3:53 AM
Concerned Citizen

In case some of you haven't noticed, we have been in a severe recession. The money for these developement dried up a couple of years ago. Once the economy picks up a little more you I think you will see the project proceed. Developers don't build with their own money, they use other peoples money. If they can't raise the money they need they don't build.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2011, 5:34 AM

^By all accounts he's continuing to build in other municipalities: Ajax, Huntsville, Sudbury, Timmins, just to name a few. The economy is just an excuse. Besides, when was the last time strip clubs were affected negatively by the economy? He's got plenty of revenue coming in.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

I've decided instead of creating a new thread we'll use this thread since it's the same property.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:43 PM
It's Hammer Time

Crane has gone up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltown View Post
you can see the homewood suite along george st/bay.

From dcysa.....

http://www.dcysa.ca/5-residences/6059-homewood-suites/
In addition to 182 rooms and suites, this 17-story hotel comes complete with a restaurant, bar, exercise room and indoor swimming pool as well as a large convention centre built to meet the needs of the city of Hamilton.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:46 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hilton Hotel | ? | 15fl | U/C -> Homewood Suites | ? | 17fl | Under Construction

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:48 PM

What does one rendering have the building looking much narrower than the other?

is the lower, wider one a concept when they planned to demolish the entire federal building, and the narrower one for the to be built along side the saved portion of the federal building?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKirk View Post
What does one rendering have the building looking much narrower than the other?

is the lower, wider one a concept when they planned to demolish the entire federal building, and the narrower one for the to be built along side the saved portion of the federal building?
Both renderings has the Hotel at the same number of floors so it isn't lower. One does look stubbier but if I wanted to get a rough idea I would take the architect's rendering more seriously.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2012, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Both renderings has the Hotel at the same number of floors so it isn't lower. One does look stubbier but if I wanted to get a rough idea I would take the architect's rendering more seriously.
I constructed my sentence poorly. I meant the "lower" picture of the two, not that one rendering has a lower building than the other.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton