HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 2:52 PM

I'm really disapointed with that renovation. Sure, the building itself looks much better, but it's still a horrible office park style street presence with fenced-off surface parking across the entire block. There's no active use at all except for the hotel entrance, which is set way back from the street on a paved vehicle turn around. Horrible design like this shouldn't be allowed in downtown.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
I'm really disapointed with that renovation. Sure, the building itself looks much better, but it's still a horrible office park style street presence with fenced-off surface parking across the entire block. There's no active use at all except for the hotel entrance, which is set way back from the street on a paved vehicle turn around. Horrible design like this shouldn't be allowed in downtown.
It was an existing building and did not have to comply with the build-to-line setback requirements. Legal non-conforming (i.e. grandfathered) is a basic property right.

This said, I hear that there are plans to eventually infill the parking lot with apartments when there are better rental comps in Downtown.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 3:37 PM

^Yeah, I understand why they were allowed to do it, but it still is awful. It's a shame the Aloft/Post development on Centennial Park never happened.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 6:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
It's amazing what architects can do to turn hideous outdated hotels into modern structures. Examples being the aLoft in Downtown and the Hyatt in Midtown. With that said, why can't we see this level of modernization externally on office building renovations? Colony Square just went through an extensive renovation and it still looks like shit on the outside.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 8:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
It's amazing what architects can do to turn hideous outdated hotels into modern structures. Examples being the aLoft in Downtown and the Hyatt in Midtown. With that said, why can't we see this level of modernization externally on office building renovations? Colony Square just went through an extensive renovation and it still looks like shit on the outside.
Hmmmm...that sounds like the many hideous "modernizations" performed on old (historic) buildings during the 60s and 70s. Leave those buildings alone.

I like the 60s/70s box. It will be considered classically beautiful one day (I think it's already somewhat there) and we will lament façade renovations that took away the original character.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2014, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
Hmmmm...that sounds like the many hideous "modernizations" performed on old (historic) buildings during the 60s and 70s. Leave those buildings alone.

I like the 60s/70s box. It will be considered classically beautiful one day (I think it's already somewhat there) and we will lament façade renovations that took away the original character.
this reminds me... man, i'd love to see the horrible façade taken off the telx building.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSkyPalaceOwner View Post
Interesting, I'll ask when they are going to move next time I'm there (i.e. tomorrow).
And by tomorrow, I meant next month.

So I asked the people at Starbucks when they were moving to the Viewpoint retail. The lady had no idea so I'm guessing it's not an imminent move.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 2:13 PM

I was looking at the Midtown Alliance development opportunities map and noticed one project that is new (to me at least). The other half of the block with the University House is listed as a proposed development for a "Residential high-rise, 400 market-rate apartments".

http://www.midtownatl.com/_files/doc...nteractive.pdf

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 3:19 PM

Quote:
I was looking at the Midtown Alliance development opportunities map and noticed one project that is new (to me at least). The other half of the block with the University House is listed as a proposed development for a "Residential high-rise, 400 market-rate apartments".
That's a great find. I've looked at that PDF by them before, and I don't remember seeing it. Maybe it was added recently. Hopefully it materializes into a project.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2014, 8:15 PM

One 12 Courtland progress

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:43 AM

It's amazing all the parking decks in that image. I count at least 8 big ones.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian View Post
Well, they beat surface lots. People have to park somewhere.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 3:16 PM

Quote:
I thought I was the only one noticing that.Wish developers could buy these parking lots, demolish them and put something reasonable there.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2014, 9:11 PM

Quote:
And that is one of the big reasons that downtown struggles to compete with the other districts in attracting office tenants and new investment.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 11:00 AM

Novare Eyes key Midtown corner for new tower

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...new-tower.html

Quote:
One of Atlanta's most prolific high-rise residential developers wants to build its latest tower on a prime corner in the red-hot Midtown market.

Novare intends to buy a nearly 1.5 acre site at West Peachtree and 14th streets near One Atlantic Center. The property today houses low-rise buildings with tenants such as Einstien Bros Bagel and Zipcar.

Novare could acquire the land and raze the building by the end of the year.
It plans to build a residential tower in its place.
Please not another Skyhouse!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 11:07 AM

Downtown to get 200-room Hotel Indigo

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/p...el-indigo.html
Quote:
A new Hotel Indigo is coming to one of downtown Atlanta’s first office buildings developed by renowned architect John Portman.

Atlanta-based Portman Holdings LLC just acquired 230 Peachtree St., a 27-story tower built in 1965 by Portman. It was developed as part of Peachtree Center, one of the first mixed-use projects in Atlanta, at a time when downtown was rapidly growing.

Portman plans to convert the first nine floors of 230 Peachtree into an approximately 200-room Hotel Indigo. About 290,000 square feet will remain offices.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:06 PM

^someone called that a few months ago if i remember correctly, no? (Terminus?)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 1:34 PM

Quote:
As much as people here grouse about Novare's designs, I'm just glad to see something happen on this block. Now, hopefully there will be movement on the two blocks between this one and the highway. I can't beleive that such prime locations are being left to rot. (I'm also looking at you Dewberry!)

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigATL View Post
I thought I was the only one noticing that.Wish developers could buy these parking lots, demolish them and put something reasonable there.
To your point, that picture is actually doing what you are asking. That student tower is replacing a deck, rental car lot, and surface parking.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newnan_Eric View Post
As much as people here grouse about Novare's designs, I'm just glad to see something happen on this block. Now, hopefully there will be movement on the two blocks between this one and the highway. I can't beleive that such prime locations are being left to rot. (I'm also looking at you Dewberry!)
Yes but we can't have all empty blocks developed all at once. Midtown is proving to be an increasingly desirable neighborhood that can sustain continued growth and I think we are beyond getting any development just for the sake of development.

I generally have no problem with Novare's building's but I do have a problem with their detached unfinished, waste of space decks that are a part of the Skyhouse program.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta