HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 28, 2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
RNC considers Paradise death suspicious, release identity of body found

The RNC has confirmed the body found in the Topsail Road area of Paradise Wednesday afternoon is that of Patricia Anne Rice, 53, who was reported missing earlier this week.

And at this time, the RNC considers the death suspicious in nature and is seeking the assistance of the general public by asking that anyone with any information in relation to the incident to come forward.

The body was found about 4:20 p.m. Wednesday in a marsh area off a walking trail, near the McDonald's location on Topsail Road in Paradise.
The area has been cordoned off to the public until further notice as the RNC's major crime unit continues its investigation.

The ROVERS Search and Rescue team is currently on scene assisting in the investigation.

On Tuesday, the RNC issued a news release seeking help in locating Rice who had been reported missing. The report stated she was last seen at 3 a.m. near the Tim Horton's outlet further up the street from the area where her body was discovered.

Investigators are asking anyone with information in relation to this incident to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). You can provide information anonymously on the NL Crime Stoppers Website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...f-body-found/1

Looks like number one for St. John's

EDIT:
Quote:
Paradise death 'a homicide investigation'

The RNC confirmed this afternoon that the case of a woman found dead in a Paradise field on Wednesday is now a homicide investigation.

The body of Patricia Rice was found next to the McDonald’s on Topsail Road that afternoon.

Police had previously said the death was suspicious.

They now say that no further details will be released as the investigation is ongoing.

Anyone with information on this incident is asked to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...nvestigation/1

Last edited by Marty_Mcfly; Jul 31, 2012 at 1:55 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 6:47 PM

^A murder investigation has now been launched into the death of that woman.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 6:54 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Awful. A murder in Paradise... the headlines will write themselves.

May she rest in peace.

Also, this poor guy: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...death-730.html

What a waste... his friends must be kicking themselves today.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2012, 11:13 PM
You talkin' to me?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Awful. A murder in Paradise... the headlines will write themselves.

May she rest in peace.

Also, this poor guy: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...death-730.html

What a waste... his friends must be kicking themselves today.
The Elizabeth Park neighborurhood is beginning to get a bit of a bad reputation as of late. Two murders, an attempted murder, and another stabbing all within a year and a half. Considering the relatively small number of people who live there such a crime rate is unsettling, especially in such a suburban atmosphere. Seeing as the murder rate in the St. John's area is pretty low to begin with such statistics should be troublesome to the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
I've been trying to understand the unsettling crime rates in the North Preston area of Halifax for a while now. It's such a small area, nestled far away from the main city. Why is there so much gun crime?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 6:09 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeDgE View Post
I hope this is not the start of more gang shootings in Calgary again. This is right beside Smash Burger where my son works. The whole plaza was closed all day yesterday so he didn't work.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...stigation.html
Not even close. Calgary has still had only five murders in 2012.

Calgary has 5 murders in a city of 1.1 million. Chicago has had 258 in a city of 2.7 million. Still in the incredibly rare instance of murder here, people wring their hands about all the violence. We need perspective.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 8:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Not even close. Calgary has still had only five murders in 2012.

Calgary has 5 murders in a city of 1.1 million. Chicago has had 258 in a city of 2.7 million. Still in the incredibly rare instance of murder here, people wring their hands about all the violence. We need perspective.
Juarez has had 952 as of July 11th. Last year it had 1 642 at that time. It is a city almost exactly the same size as Calgary, being 1.3 Million.

I think in the grand scheme of things, Canadians are a bit naive when it comes to crime. Even Winnipeg, the city which ones again claims the dubious title of being "Homicide Capital of Canada" -having a record 41 total homicides last year at a rate of 6.17 / 100 000- is safer than all but a few American cities.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 5:42 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Even Winnipeg, the city which ones again claims the dubious title of being "Homicide Capital of Canada" -having a record 41 total homicides last year at a rate of 6.17 / 100 000- is safer than all but a few American cities.
Sadly, no. Winnipeg's murder rate exceeded the US average last year and is indeed more dangerous (on that measure) than MOST US cities. Huge issue that can't be swept under the rug.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Sadly, no. Winnipeg's murder rate exceeded the US average last year and is indeed more dangerous (on that measure) than MOST US cities. Huge issue that can't be swept under the rug.
Counting the entire country is ridiculous. That includes small towns and swaths of villages. That is a ridiculous comparison. Winnipeg has a lower crime rate than the majority of cities in the US. If you want me to pull the numbers I will. In fact...

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/11s0305.pdf

The only fair way to establish where Winnipeg sits is to do a city by city comparison, and see where Winnipeg falls in the list of cities. Winnipeg would sit in the lower quarter of US Metropolitan areas. And like I said has a lower homicide rate than most US cities.

Also remember that last year saw a record number of homicides, and will not likely see that number again any time soon. Personally for me 1 homicide is too many, but to make a claim like that, which is completely false suggests that you are doing nothing other than trying to spread the ideology that Winnipeg is a dangerous city. I have lived in Winnipeg's worst neighbourhood for the majority of my life (where the majority of the city's crimes occur) and have only ever feared my life once, and unfortunately it was because I was stupid enough to put myself in that situation. So all in all what I have to say is; Take your sensationalism somewhere else.

31 homicides in Winnipeg in the year of 2008 at a rate of 4.07. Compare that to the list of US Metro Areas, and try and make your claim again.

Last edited by chrisallard5454; Jul 31, 2012 at 6:21 PM.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 10:35 PM
I am a typical

Quote:
Unlike Vancouver and Calgary, though, Winnipeg's homicides aren't random gang violence claiming innocent victims. They're almost entirely contained within an impoverished aboriginal population in the north end. Actual random killings like all those shootings at Calgary restaurants lately almost never happen in Winnipeg.

I really dislike the idea of judging a cities safety by its murder rate, though. That's such a small piece of the whole puzzle. Poverty is a bigger issue. In Thunder Bay, most of the crime is committed by a small group of people living at a small percentage of the city's addresses. It's probably a similar situation in Winnipeg. Quite a few of Thunder Bay's latest homicides actually involved people from other communities that just happened to be in Thunder Bay at the time their string of domestic disputes resulted in a murder.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Unlike Vancouver and Calgary, though, Winnipeg's homicides aren't random gang violence claiming innocent victims. They're almost entirely contained within an impoverished aboriginal population in the north end. Actual random killings like all those shootings at Calgary restaurants lately almost never happen in Winnipeg.

I really dislike the idea of judging a cities safety by its murder rate, though. That's such a small piece of the whole puzzle. Poverty is a bigger issue. In Thunder Bay, most of the crime is committed by a small group of people living at a small percentage of the city's addresses. It's probably a similar situation in Winnipeg. Quite a few of Thunder Bay's latest homicides actually involved people from other communities that just happened to be in Thunder Bay at the time their string of domestic disputes resulted in a murder.
If you were to remove homicides within a 10 kilometre radius in Winnipeg it would have one of the lowest homicide rates in Canada. The majority of the homicides -and most violent crimes- occur within a certain neighbourhood, and, I might add, within a certain demographic. That doesn't diminish the impact and severity on what that means for the city and people effected, however to paint Winnipeg in a bad light is completely naive.

Winnipeg as a whole is as safe as any city. Even if one were to travel to those select few notable areas, you will find yourself completely safe as long as you don't walk into a drug lords house.

Take a look at the map of homicides for the last three years and tell me if you don't see a physical disconnect. There is a problem, yes, definitely. But it really is up to the citizens of those neighbourhoods to tackle that problem, because as much as we may try, nothing is going to change unless those people want it to change.

But seriously looking at the map, it is as if a giant wall was built around the North/West Ends and Downtown, and people were left to fight amongst themselves. The truth is, there is a very real wall there, only it is psychological, not physical.

http://www.cbc.ca/manitoba/features/homicides/

If you look closely, you will see that East of the river has 9 homicides over the last 3.5 years, which represents about 1/3 of the city's population.
Then to the South of the Assiniboine and West of the Red has 7 homicides over that same time span, which represents about 1/3, if not more of the city's population.
St. James is completely untouched, and that represents at least a 1/4 of the population.

That leaves almost 100 homicides in one distinct region which represents a significant minority in the overall population. The most disconcerting part is that because the majority of the city is unaffected, the general populous has a "stay out of the North End" mentality, which heightens the social barriers, causing more and more problems.
People will always tell you upon arrival to stay out of the North End. It isn't true, but it does represent a very disturbing reality.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 11:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

^ I have to say I found Winnipeg safe as well. I think it's bad reputation is because it LOOKS like a dangerous city. But... even the aggressive bums I mentioned in another topic... I never felt afraid for my personal safety because of them. I said I felt like I was on Just for Laughs gags. And I meant it. I never felt unsafe. Just... "Seriously? This really happens?"

Old Posted Jul 31, 2012, 11:41 PM

All but 1 shooting occurred in the North Central quadrant of the city.
All but 5 stabbings have occurred in the same quadrant.
All but 7 beating homicides have occurred in the same quadrant.
All but 1 unknown cause have occurred in the same quadrant.

Safe city, with a social barrier.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 4:13 AM
The good old days are now

One dead in double shooting at Galeries d'Anjou

Read more: http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/one-dead-...#ixzz23CvrmQPI

A gunshot was clearly evident on the victim's driver's side window. (Photo Cosmo Santmaria).

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 4:20 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I've been trying to understand the unsettling crime rates in the North Preston area of Halifax for a while now. It's such a small area, nestled far away from the main city. Why is there so much gun crime?
North Preston is an economically disadvantaged ethnic community, a bit like Shea Heights but with African-Canadians.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 5:13 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
well rusty, leaving aside the fact that making a broad claim about how 'dangerous' a city is based on a single year homicide rate is inappropriate....if you compare winnipeg in a normal year (last year was an anomaly), it's rates would be considered low if it were a US city.

i could only find 2009 statistics, but on this list of 80 US cities, winnipeg would have ranked 14th in that year......that's 82% of US cities having a higher murder rate than winnipeg.

even if you use 2011 statistics, by far winnipeg's worst year ever, it would be 26th out of 80 american cities.

http://www.census.gov/compendia/stat...es/12s0309.pdf
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 5:22 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
If you were to remove homicides within a 10 kilometre radius in Winnipeg it would have one of the lowest homicide rates in Canada. .
more like a 1 km radius...the whole city almost fits in a 10km radius.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
more like a 1 km radius...the whole city almost fits in a 10km radius.
My apologies. People have a tendency to read every little thing I say and then prove me wrong with it. I therefore provided a very liberal radius. But I think I painted the picture quite clear for everyone trying to label Winnipeg as something that it isn't. Nothing gets me riled up more than that.

CBC's homicide map for the last 4 years paints a picture of what I was referring to. Remember this is a map of the last 4 years. Each colour represents a specific year.

That doesn't even come close to what many, many cities see in under a year. And yes I am referring to per capita statistics.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 2:33 PM
DRINK

Quote:
My apologies. People have a tendency to read every little thing I say and then prove me wrong with it. I therefore provided a very liberal radius. But I think I painted the picture quite clear for everyone trying to label Winnipeg as something that it isn't. Nothing gets me riled up more than that.

CBC's homicide map for the last 4 years paints a picture of what I was referring to. Remember this is a map of the last 4 years. Each colour represents a specific year.

That doesn't even come close to what many, many cities see in under a year. And yes I am referring to per capita statistics.
....So Winnipeg has a lot of murders concentrated in one area that skews murder rates? And this is different from just about every city in North America how?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2012, 3:59 PM

Quote:

I think in the grand scheme of things, Canadians are a bit naive when it comes to crime.
When we stop worrying about what we consider to be high crime rates is when I might consider calling us naive.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada