HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 8:51 PM

That's great news, airhero, thanks for sharing.

I'm curious, do you think that these projects are finally moving forward because the airport is nearing the final phases of construction, freeing up crews for foundation, concrete and steel work?

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 9:27 PM

[QUOTE=Comrade;8501804]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

Yeah, no it wouldn't. You're treating the relocation, or expansion, of a multi-billion dollar product like a NFL team as if it's being facilitated by a bunch of simpletons on a whim. Maybe that's how you perceive things but it's flat-out wrong.
It actually would make a difference. First of all, we're usually never even in the conversation because people think SLC is too small, and never even bother to look at the MSA or CSA figures.

Even when they do look at the MSA, they're getting a figure, that is not an accurate reflection of our MSA.

Every day I read reports or studies comparing the largest cities in America and SLC isn't in most of them, because SLC isn't even one of the 100 largest cities by population based on its boundaries alone. We constantly get overlooked because people think SLC is smaller than it is.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 10:31 PM

KUTV small article about CCH

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I don't understand this idea that large companies only look at city proper populations when deciding where to locate facilities. I think it's absurd to suggest that major corporations aren't capable of understanding metropolitan or urban area populations, or market sizes. They're not that dumb.

The problem is that what we're talking about really isn't development related. There is no even remotely realistic chatter about another pro sports team being located to Salt Lake City. It's really just all of us giving opinions about whether we think it would be possible, then arguing over population numbers of different metro areas. That's not development related at all. And when people who might want to talk about things and come into this thread and see 3 straight pages of people debating over whether we could support another pro sports team, that turns off all but a specific niche of people.

Fact is, we've had several posts scattered in here about development. I mentioned I saw people marking the sidewalk in front of Tower 8. Someone else asked about progress of Hardware Village. There's been some others. And they've all basically been ignored so we can keep debating opinions and semantics. Hell, we got super nice renderings of the CCH that we hadn't seen before, and it got what, like 3 or 4 responses and a joke about snowmen in the rendering? So that gets a handful of responses and no real discussion, but we can go on for 3 pages about MSA classifications and a completely theoretical pro sports team.

Like I said, Tower 8 and 151 State better get started soon or else this thread is going into the shitter again. I feel like there's a good reason why some of our best posters just don't come around anymore.

We all contribute, if you don’t like the discussion bring something up that is more interesting. I already reacted to the CCH; I like it. I did not respond to some questions, as I did not know the answer to them. Perhaps if you want more discussion around particular developments, maybe take some pictures and post them?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
The location for the CC hotel will provide really cool cityscape views of Salt Lake for its guests. You can see the whole line of high rises from the Church office building all the way down to the Grand America.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 12:44 AM
One Thing At A Time

We are going to see some big impacts to our skyline this year and with a ton of infill happening things are going to get more and more vibrant downtown. Things are already night and day different from when I moved here in 2007. Can't wait to see what the next 10 years has in store for us!

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:25 AM

The infill apartment building which replaced the beauty supply store at 9th and 9th now appears to be open and tenanted...at least one unit seems furnished.
https://www.nexuson9th.com

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:39 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post

It actually would make a difference. First of all, we're usually never even in the conversation because people think SLC is too small, and never even bother to look at the MSA or CSA figures.

Even when they do look at the MSA, they're getting a figure, that is not an accurate reflection of our MSA.

Every day I read reports or studies comparing the largest cities in America and SLC isn't in most of them, because SLC isn't even one of the 100 largest cities by population based on its boundaries alone. We constantly get overlooked because people think SLC is smaller than it is.
I love how you believe people who make multi-billion dollar decisions, like expanding a professional sports league, or relocating a professional sports team, are too fucking dumb to do research into Salt Lake's numbers to figure out if they're a legitimately viable candidate. I mean, this is hilarious to me.

Salt Lake could instantly absorb Salt Lake County and it wouldn't make 'em any more a viable candidate for the NFL. It's cute you think they just use Wikipedia to determine city size and base their decision off that...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

I love how you believe people who make multi-billion dollar decisions, like expanding a professional sports league, or relocating a professional sports team, are too fucking dumb to do research into Salt Lake's numbers to figure out if they're a legitimately viable candidate. I mean, this is hilarious to me.

Salt Lake could instantly absorb Salt Lake County and it wouldn't make 'em any more a viable candidate for the NFL. It's cute you think they just use Wikipedia to determine city size and base their decision off that...
Its “cute” you think people who make multi-billion dollar decisions will even consider researching Salt Lake’s CSA unless the city’s reputation of being small and populated by religious freaks/intolerant, homogenes people changes.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:37 AM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old&New View Post
Its “cute” you think people who make multi-billion dollar decisions will even consider researching Salt Lake’s CSA unless the city’s reputation of being small and populated by religious freaks/intolerant, homogenes people changes.
I'm sure Salt Lake has been researched as a city to host a MLB/NHL and even NFL team. I doubt the research took 'em beyond the initial phase, though, and the realization there's far more viable, and larger, locations than Salt Lake.

Like San Antonio, for instance, which has a metro a similar size of Salt Lake less than 100 miles away from its own metro, which is comparable in size to Salt Lake.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 12:50 PM

I think the main point is that many companies look more at City and MSA populations as opposed to CSA when deciding on expansion and relocations unless someone at the top has information to make them look at the larger CSA population.

It is this population level that is holding Salt Lake City off of many reports for relocation/expansion. This can be seen in the descriptions for Salt Lake in the "Top ??? Cities list" as they only look at City and MSA populations. These lists, particularly the economy and growth rates are used by Companies looking to expand. Because Ogden, Provo and SLC all appear on the lists at different levels, no one outside of the area actually knows and understands how connected they actually are.

Regarding the CCH room count, 1,000 rooms is what was needed about 5 years ago, since then nearly 300 rooms have been built near the convention center. The directly connected hotel needs a minimum of 700 rooms to attract additional conventions as many exhibitors will book suites to entertain VIPs and they don't want to leave the center.

In addition to the 300+ rooms already added, there is already 500+ more rooms in the pipeline for the near future on top of the 700 or so in the CCH.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:10 PM

Quote:
I'm sure Salt Lake has been researched as a city to host a MLB/NHL and even NFL team. I doubt the research took 'em beyond the initial phase, though, and the realization there's far more viable, and larger, locations than Salt Lake.

Like San Antonio, for instance, which has a metro a similar size of Salt Lake less than 100 miles away from its own metro, which is comparable in size to Salt Lake.
You make several good points Comrade, and another thing to keep in mind as well, is the fact that Broncos have a huge following in Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, Arizona and Southern California. Even if a billionaire wanted to put a team in SLC, I very much doubt the owners would let it happen (shared revenue) as they have a business to run. For SLC to ever get its own NFL franchise, it simply needs to grow and considerably so.

San Antonio
San Antonio-New Braunfels-Austin-Round Rock (all metro counties included)
~120 mi. and 4.5 million

Digging a little deeper, it compares well to two successful long time NFL cities, with the latter having sold out since 1970 (NFL record) and with a waiting list spanning decades.

Seattle
Mt. Vernon-Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue-Centralia
~120 mi. and 4.5 million

Denver
Fort Collins-Boulder-Denver-Colorado Springs
~120 mi. and 4.5 million

Measured in a straight line from A to B (outer metro boundary).

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meliorem View Post
You make several good points Comrade, and another thing to keep in mind as well, is the fact that Broncos have a huge following in Utah, New Mexico, Wyoming, Montana, Kansas, Arizona and Southern California. Even if a billionaire wanted to put a team in SLC, I very much doubt the owners would let it happen (shared revenue) as they have a business to run. For SLC to ever get its own NFL franchise, it simply needs to grow and considerably so.

San Antonio
San Antonio-New Braunfels-Austin-Round Rock (all metro counties included)
~120 mi. and 4.5 million

Digging a little deeper, it compares well to two successful long time NFL cities, with the latter having sold out since 1970 (NFL record) and with a waiting list spanning decades.

Seattle
Mt. Vernon-Seattle-Tacoma-Bellevue-Centralia
~120 mi. and 4.5 million

Denver
Fort Collins-Boulder-Denver-Colorado Springs
~120 mi. and 4.5 million

Measured in a straight line from A to B (outer metro boundary).
Where are you getting this Utahns that are fans of the Broncos information? Just not my experience.

And thanks Makid.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Where are you getting this Utahns that are fans of the Broncos information? Just not my experience.

And thanks Makid.
https://kdvr.com/2014/09/05/facebook...oncos-country/

Careful not to mix personal hate and feelings with facts.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 3:16 PM

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/03/...e-utahs-greek/

I think we had heard rumors that the Greek Orthodox Church was thinking of developing the lots around their church, but this is the first real story I've heard about it.

And thanks for clearing up the CCH room count needs, Makid.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:12 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
I think the main point is that many companies look more at City and MSA populations as opposed to CSA when deciding on expansion and relocations unless someone at the top has information to make them look at the larger CSA population.

It is this population level that is holding Salt Lake City off of many reports for relocation/expansion. This can be seen in the descriptions for Salt Lake in the "Top ??? Cities list" as they only look at City and MSA populations. These lists, particularly the economy and growth rates are used by Companies looking to expand. Because Ogden, Provo and SLC all appear on the lists at different levels, no one outside of the area actually knows and understands how connected they actually are.
I mean, do you have any evidence to back this up at all? I doubt there's a bunch of CEOs of a multi-million/billion dollar business who says to themselves, "Well Salt Lake's MSA is only 1,203,105. I guess we'll go with Virginia Beach because it's larger..."

You realize how silly that sounds, right?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:17 PM
They all float down here

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
https://www.sltrib.com/news/2019/03/...e-utahs-greek/

I think we had heard rumors that the Greek Orthodox Church was thinking of developing the lots around their church, but this is the first real story I've heard about it.

And thanks for clearing up the CCH room count needs, Makid.
I will be very disappointed if they demolish the La France Apartments. Those are so unique to downtown and while rundown, renovated they'd bring in that type of charm you really just see much of in Salt Lake.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
https://kdvr.com/2014/09/05/facebook...oncos-country/

Careful not to mix personal hate and feelings with facts.
No hate or feelings, just doesn’t line up with my experience.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
I mean, do you have any evidence to back this up at all? I doubt there's a bunch of CEOs of a multi-million/billion dollar business who says to themselves, "Well Salt Lake's MSA is only 1,203,105. I guess we'll go with Virginia Beach because it's larger..."

You realize how silly that sounds, right?
You’re fooling yourself, it’s common sense. Why would they go with either? Not when we’re not even on their radar. Who do we petition to make our MSA the same as our CSA? Also, I think if it meant more jobs for the region, I bet some suburbs would be open to merging/being annexed for the purpose of boosting the State Capitol’s population numbers. Perhaps we do a workaround that makes those suburbs a “burough” of Salt Lake City, so leadership remains the same, but legally and statistically is part of the same city?

Last edited by Old&New; Mar 12, 2019 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
No hate or feelings, just doesn’t line up with my experience.
My bad, I think I may have misread your post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West