HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 9:57 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

With me (and I am not in the energy industry so no 6 figures for me), I consider them a weekend treat. I try to sample one or two of the offerings of each truck, and some I would try again, and some I thought were overpriced but I'm happy I tried it out. I guess the question will be how many people will think the same way, and will the lesser trucks start to lose out as time goes on. But yeah I agree there's no point in complaining about the prices while people are paying. In some ways it's almost a premium for the convenience, as there's been many times I've eaten at one at an event or somewhere where there weren't many other options for a meal nearby.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 10:03 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Good points.

Currently (while its trendy), demand is robust for most of the food trucks.

When I look at the long term, I see a problem if the food trucks aren't providing value for money. The trend could die off. Proprietors need to keep people coming up to the trucks to see what's available that day. If people are turned off by the prices, they just won't bother.

The creativity of the menu items and quality of the ingredients would factor into my value-function, but the particular trucks that I've seen haven't really "wow'd" me in that way. Not like the food trucks featured on TV in Los Angeles, anyway.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
Good points.

Currently (while its trendy), demand is robust for most of the food trucks.

When I look at the long term, I see a problem if the food trucks aren't providing value for money. The trend could die off. Proprietors need to keep people coming up to the trucks to see what's available that day. If people are turned off by the prices, they just won't bother.

The creativity of the menu items and quality of the ingredients would factor into my value-function, but the particular trucks that I've seen haven't really "wow'd" me in that way. Not like the food trucks featured on TV in Los Angeles, anyway.
This would then create a big opportunity for a vendor to undercut and clean up.

Personally if it was me I would charge just as much as everyone else, the whole $8-10 for a medium or small sized portion without drink while the getting is good, but keep my finger in the wind and scale back prices once I sensed the novelty was wearing off.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2012, 10:42 PM
Analyst, Commercial Mtgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
This would then create a big opportunity for a vendor to undercut and clean up.
True, I just would just hate to see the big fast-food chains move in and destroy the independent food truck operator. I have seen a Swiss Chalet food truck around.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 12:02 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
True, I just would just hate to see the big fast-food chains move in and destroy the independent food truck operator. I have seen a Swiss Chalet food truck around.
Well my hope is such a vendor would be of the same type as the current (and possibly ONE of the ones out already) who would simply price better.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2012, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcccondor View Post
I completely agree with your comment, but there are constantly line ups at trucks whenever I see them. As businesses, they're doing it perfectly.
I suspect that when the initial novelty wears off the competition will become heavier and those trucks that don't offer good value will become permanently parked.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Shrug... I have a dozen affordable sit-down restaurants within two blocks of my office. Why do I want a grilled cheese sandwich out of a Grumman cube van?

Maybe I would be more enthusiastic if I was working in an industrial park a ten minute drive from a Subway.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation