HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Out of the loop on this one, why is it such a big deal? Will it bring in tons of new jobs that are well paying hopefully?
It is the biggest new project to actually come to fruition since Katrina. It's supposed to put us on the level of at least a Birmingham when it comes to medical research, etc.

Its predecessor, Charity hospital, was consistently ranked as the 2nd best emergency room in the nation behind Cook County (Chicago). Generations of families had been born there, and the fight over whether to rebuild Charity, or replace it with a new one, and the arduous task of getting the new one approved have been one of the biggest, if not the biggest, post-Katrina battles.

As an aside, I'm glad you liked New Orleans so much. I'd tell you to approach it with an open mind, but it's obvious that you already have and are eager to make your home in this city, so let me be the first to give you an early welcome home.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2011, 4:38 PM
-

I think its important to point out a few things with the new VA and UMC. One its the largest medical construction project in the world right now. Two there hasnt been a new VA built in this country in years so this new facility will be cutting edge for the entire VA system!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 12:09 AM

So glad the project is moving forward. Construction starts in 2 weeks and the VA is moving along nicely. Really agree that this will be a transformative project for the city and region.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 3:46 PM

Rta

Good to see the RTA being serious about the Rampart line:

RTA picks construction management firm for streetcar expansion

The Regional Transit Authority of New Orleans has awarded a $34.5 million contract to a New York company to oversee construction management of the city’s streetcar system expansion.

Parsons Brinckerhoff will handle supervision for all three phases of RTA’s expansion although funding is not yet in place for the entire scope of the project.

Work is already under way on the first phase, a new Loyola Avenue line from Canal Street to the Union Passenger Terminal. The work is being paid for with a $45 million federal transportation infrastructure grant...

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...car-expansion/

Also since you guys are talking about the VA/UMC, I thought it would be good to provide links to the renderings for anyone new to the development. The scale of this whole project is mind boggling.

The first links are for the VA which will be on the smaller footprint:

http://www.neworleans.va.gov/legacy_renderings.asp

And the footprint of the VA:

http://www.neworleans.va.gov/images/campuslayout.jpg

UMC Video of renderings and models (I think this is the latest, might not include the redesigned parking decks)

http://www.lsusystem.edu/video/universityAMC3.html

And for other info including the entire PDF of the site plan for the UMC (see bottom of the page):

http://www.lsusystem.edu/media/newHospital/

Last edited by FrenchTwins; Sep 18, 2011 at 4:17 PM. Reason: Adding UMC/VA links

Old Posted Sep 18, 2011, 4:42 PM

The new cars will be have A/C of course right?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 1:36 AM

annie himself: I think they are going to use the Canal cars so yes.

I would like to see some new modern cars for the planned route down to Press street (they would be lighter and I'd guess faster). The light rail/streetcar in Phoenix I saw last May was fantastic (too bad PHX isnt urban at all)

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 2:15 PM

1031 Canal

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...al_street.html

"As the New Orleans City Council approaches a crucial vote Thursday on a proposed high-rise building on Canal Street, both sides have been busy trying to lobby council members and mobilize public support for their position.

Proponents have been touting the project's purported $200 million economic impact and the fact that more than 1,000 citizens and the owners of nearly every business along Canal Street have expressed their support.

Opponents prepared a radio commercial saying the proposal is "not sensitive to the French Quarter or our history" and suggesting that developer Praveen Kailas is trying to get away with violating zoning rules that others must follow...."

Basically a summary article of the two sides that fighting before Thursday's council vote. I'm optimistic that Palmer will approve the whole she-bang, but worried that she may fear the wrath of VCPORA in terms of getting reelected.

Hopefully she approves the full plan and it takes the wind out of VCPORA's sails and they fade off into the sunset for a little while (i know they wont go away) because everyone already knows they're a bunch of a**holes.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 4:12 PM
-

Agreed, cant see Palmer not supporting this project as they have followed all the guidelines she told them to. They have the height waiver from City Planning so usually the council goes along with it!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2011, 8:49 PM

Fresh Market

Fresh Market is now confirmed for Borders location on St. Charles. It is now listed on the company's website. I wonder if it will be two stories like the Borders was. More here:

http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...pen_in_ne.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty D View Post
One will be owned by Besh, but Brian Landry, formerly of Galatoire's, will be the chef.
http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf...y_opening.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 1:44 PM

Boreshore expands....

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ject_move.html

It's development related so I'll post it, but yeah boring....

"Plans for a 140-acre subdivision on the northern edge of the Covington city limits -- stalled for years by economic and bureaucratic hurdles -- moved forward Monday night when the city's planning commission granted preliminary approval for a quarter of the project.

The Oak Alley subdivision, in the works since early 2004, is to be built off U.S. 190 Bypass, on a wooded lot of the former Regina Coeli Preschool and Retreat Center....."

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 2:18 PM

Bywater Density Op-ed

Zoning changes could help New Orleans' Bywater neighborhood: Carolyn Leftwich

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.s..._help_new.html

"New Orleans is in the midst of making land-use decisions that will have tremendous consequences for the shape of our neighborhoods for many years to come. These decisions should be made with shifting demographic, environmental and economic pressures in mind.

Along with many others who live or work in Bywater, I believe the neighborhood's density threshold should be raised from its current classification of pre-war, low-density residential to medium density and, where appropriate, to mixed-used medium density. This change would best reflect Bywater's historic character and position our high-ground community to flourish into the future....."

--------------------

Totally agree with this op-ed. I was down talking to one of the well known business owners down there on Saturday and they were saying pretty much the same thing. I used to think I wanted to stay Uptown...but I dunno the Bywater is looking attractive in terms of both cost and quality of life (minus grocery but it'll come) and I'm no hippie....

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 2:40 PM

St Henry's rectory to be demolished?

Neighbors organize to stave off possible demolition of St. Henry's rectory

http://uptownmessenger.com/2011/09/n...enrys-rectory/

"Is the century-old rectory at Uptown’s St. Henry’s Catholic Church slated to become a parking lot?

If so, it’s the fate that neighbors of the church are already organizing to fight off. Last week, nearby neighbor Faye Lieder got word from the Historic District Landmarks Commission that the church plans convert the church into a “multi-use facility” and to “request the demolition of a building across the street from the church that they no longer need,” Lieder said Sunday night at a meeting of neighbors who quickly convened at her house....."

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 8:51 PM
-

New residential conversion permit by the riverfront in Lower Garden District

1770 TCHOUPITOULAS ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70130

Record DetailsApplicant:
JOHN BURGESS
JOHN C WILLIAMS ARCHITECTS LLC
824 BARONNE ST
NEW ORLEANS, LA, 70113
Home Phone: 504 566 0888

Project Description:
CONVERT RETAIL INTO A MULTI-FAMILY DWELLING AS PER PLANS.
Owner:
RENAISSANCE NEIGHBORHOOD DEVELOPMENT CORPORATIO
4152 CANAL ST
NEW ORLEANS LA 70119

More Details
Additional Information
Job Value($):
$6,300,000.00Housing Units:
1Number of Buildings:
1Public Owned:
No
Application Information
COM_BUILDINGExisting use: Retail Store
Proposed Use: Multi-Family Dwelling (Three Units & Above)
HDLC/VCC: -N/A-
No. of Residential Units: 52
IBC Construction Type: 2B
No. of Existing Electric Meters: 53

Looks like it is for this project:

1770 Tchoupitoulas

Renaissance Neighborhood Development Corporation (RNDC) acquired 1770 Tchoupitoulas for the development of up to 240 mixed-income rental units in a structure overlooking the Mississippi River. This development would provide high quality housing for persons working in New Orleans’ office support, restaurant and hospitality industries located in the central core. The project could also provide some related commercial space on the site.

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 20, 2011 at 9:14 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 9:02 PM

Industrial Canal Lock

Saw this article on CityBusiness. http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/bl...oject-on-hold/

While I'm glad to see this project isn't totally dead, it doesn't look like it's happening anytime soon. In my opinion, it's a necessary development for New Orleans that should have happened decades ago. If you're interested in more information on the project, you can watch this video from the CoA:

http://www.mvn.usace.army.mil/PAO/vi...hncreplace.asp

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 9:52 PM
TL;DR

Woah. Damn judge... The city can't rely on the tourism economy forever.

I also wholeheartedly support medium density for the Bywater. If anything, it will allow the creation of new backyard units and 3-4 flat buildings, with the occasional multifamily on a larger lot.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 10:15 PM
-

A little bit more information about the Neiman Marcus at the Riverwalk. From what I know this store will actually be a part of the redevelopment of the mall itself not the parking lot. Also it wont be a regular Neiman Marcus but their "discount store" Last Call(Prices are still really quite high). Which given the national economy it makes sense to go this route. They are looking to reposition the mall as a sort of Upscale outlet center similar to the Mills concepts you see in other cities mixed with local restaurants etc.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
Looks like it is for this project:

1770 Tchoupitoulas

Renaissance Neighborhood Development Corporation (RNDC) acquired 1770 Tchoupitoulas for the development of up to 240 mixed-income rental units in a structure overlooking the Mississippi River. This development would provide high quality housing for persons working in New Orleans’ office support, restaurant and hospitality industries located in the central core. The project could also provide some related commercial space on the site.

I found this link with some more pictures: http://www.rndcnola.org/projectpage.php?links=1770_zq

There was a proposal to do something with the land 3 years ago, but that fell through. This looks like there is more traction behind it!

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 12:54 AM

Is it just me or does there appear to be some type of work going on at the old power plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
A little bit more information about the Neiman Marcus at the Riverwalk. From what I know this store will actually be a part of the redevelopment of the mall itself not the parking lot. Also it wont be a regular Neiman Marcus but their "discount store" Last Call(Prices are still really quite high). Which given the national economy it makes sense to go this route. They are looking to reposition the mall as a sort of Upscale outlet center similar to the Mills concepts you see in other cities mixed with local restaurants etc.
Any idea when work begins?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2011, 1:54 AM

[QUOTE=Uptowner;5417714]Is it just me or does there appear to be some type of work going on at the old power plant?

Only thing I have noticed is that they put a blue tarp over the roof of part of the building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations