HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 2:34 PM

Tulane Stadium

Blah blah blah blah blah blah..... all the neighbors want to do is complain, but the parking issue sure seems complicated. I'm not sure how I'd feel if I had to drive from...say Lakeview (i live close enough to Tulane to ride my bike) and drive to the Superdome, and then catch a shuttle with thousands of others to uptown and then back... Just seems like a pain, but I'm not a Tulane fan so I dont care. If that's what they want, then build it.

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...l#incart_river

I like the "Party Zone" being elevated at the corner of the field like this:

I like that the Club level is above the general admission also, gives a good view:

I could see myself drinking here:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 7:30 PM

French Quarter Street Repairs

I was afraid this project died with the hospitality bill, but fortunately construction work will begin in July. Does anyone know if sidewalks will be included or if this is just pavement?

http://neworleanscitybusiness.com/th...start-in-july/

Old Posted Jun 20, 2012, 7:35 PM
TL;DR

It's a valid concern, not a poison pill. Tulane needs to find a way to accommodate parking demand in a way that doesn't overwhelm surrounding streets (most of which have terrible pavement even by NOLA standards) and is still convenient enough to attract fans.

On a side note: this debacle is really illustrating how shitty our transit system is. If we had 15-minute bus service and decent sidewalks/crosswalks on Claiborne, that could move at least 1000 people per hour to the stadium.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 1:35 PM

New Restaurant on Prytania under CONSTRUCTION

WOOOOT WOOT...they're working on it!!! I mentioned this awhile back but it's been awhile coming....this building at Antonine and Prytania is being turned into a restaurant from the same owners as the Italian Pie...from what i hear it will be Southwestern or something with a bar in the camelback which is pretty cool....I like that this little Prytania corridor is picking up steam since i live pretty close by.

It's right next to Coulis. I didn't notice construction yesterday but they were at it full force today so maybe i was just distracted yesterday.... Thankfully it should look SOOO much better when it's done..anythign is better than the dungeon it is now...

(image from Google maps)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 3:52 PM

New Restaurants...

From Uptown Messenger

Quote:
Juicy D’s will serve steamed organic burgers, fish sandwiches and gourmet salads at Carrollton and Oak, reports Eater NOLA.
Breads on Oak will be a bakery at the opposite end of the street, reports Eater NOLA in another find.
Delta Angel serves vegetable-based breakfast and lunch inside St. Vincent’s Guest House on lower Magazine Street, reports Susan Langenhennig of The Times-Picayune.
McClure’s Barbecue, previously a pop-up restaurant, may be eying a permanent location at 1512 Carondelet, just off St. Charles Avenue, Eater NOLA reports.
http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/06/r...rden-district/

Old Posted Jun 21, 2012, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
WOOOOT WOOT...they're working on it!!! I mentioned this awhile back but it's been awhile coming....this building at Antonine and Prytania is being turned into a restaurant from the same owners as the Italian Pie...from what i hear it will be Southwestern or something with a bar in the camelback which is pretty cool....I like that this little Prytania corridor is picking up steam since i live pretty close by.

It's right next to Coulis. I didn't notice construction yesterday but they were at it full force today so maybe i was just distracted yesterday.... Thankfully it should look SOOO much better when it's done..anythign is better than the dungeon it is now...

(image from Google maps)

What an awful, awful way to treat a building like that. That's hideous.

The camelback bar sounds really cool.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 3:32 AM
TL;DR

It's not a camelback really... It was a normal 2-story building with a setback and somebody filled in the setback. I'd love for them to demolish the front and put in a patio, but I'll be happy if they can make the addition look graceful.

I mentioned before that this area is ripe for nighttime entertainment because the Touro garage provides a ton of available late-night parking. I hope people are walking, biking or carpooling to the bars but lots of people will always drive to restaurants.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 4:45 PM

If you look at the satelite imagery of New Orleans, there's an old railroad right-of-way running parallel to Earhart Blvd., about 2 blocks to the lakeside of it. It looks like at some point it enters the neutral ground of Caliope St. and then would enter the UPT. Obviously some parts have been sold off (I see at Carrolton, it's been turned into that silly mini storage place at Carrolton and Edinburgh). Is that city/railway owned? Have those lots been sold off to neighbors?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polemic View Post
If you look at the satelite imagery of New Orleans, there's an old railroad right-of-way running parallel to Earhart Blvd., about 2 blocks to the lakeside of it. It looks like at some point it enters the neutral ground of Caliope St. and then would enter the UPT. Obviously some parts have been sold off (I see at Carrolton, it's been turned into that silly mini storage place at Carrolton and Edinburgh). Is that city/railway owned? Have those lots been sold off to neighbors?
It was a railway at one time, the old Yazoo rail line (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazoo_a...alley_Railroad). I don't know about its present ownership, but it's sad the property in the residential part hasn't been re-integrated into the streetgrid.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2012, 10:05 PM
TL;DR

There's a big sewer line that uses the rail ROW, at least in the Hollygrove part. It might be good for neighborhood parks or farming but access is a concern so building over it isn't really an option.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 3:46 AM

I drove down Carondelet in the CBD today and I noticed there's a crane up in a parking lot. I don't remember exactly what block that is though. Anyone know anything about this?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 4:01 AM
TL;DR

Might be the parking garage for the Hibernia Building. It's going up in a mid-block lot on Union just off Carondelet.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 6:08 AM

Could it be the addition to the Drury Hotel, right off of Poydras? I haven't passed by there in ages...Does anyone have updates on that project?

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 9:07 PM

Yeah it was the Drury. I don't know why I didn't realize that the first time I drove by.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm glad to see the derelict Pizza Hut redevelop but I hope we can start planning for a higher standard of design along Claiborne like we're starting to get on Tulane.
On point! What a waste. Although, fast food restaurants are cheap to put up, so cheap to take down. Amazing that more housing isn't going in on Claiborne though.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Height limits, crappy soil, and fear of going bankrupt.

Remember, there were several proposals before the recession.

Also,Tracage is still alive.
True - but Atlanta has a bunch of towers going up and real estate is more expensive in New Orleans. What gives? Props to Atlanta for putting up some 20 story buildings given all they've been through.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 8:04 PM

Reliance Housing Foundation closes on former La Salle Hotel

The Times-Pic reports that the Reliance Housing Foundation closed on former La Salle Hotel.

Reliance plans to bring 32 affordable rental units and street-level retail space to the site at the corner of Canal and Basin streets, and the company is in talks with renting the ground-floor space that fronts on Canal Street for a ticketing center for the theater.

It's great to see this project moving forward, and for another blighted building on Canal St. be brought back into commerce.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 1:37 PM

Former Wow building renovated for Reginelli's move

http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/06/f...ross-magazine/

Quote:
The back end of the former WOW Wingery restaurant at State and Magazine has been removed and its interior completely gutted, but when Reginelli’s moves across the street this fall, the building’s exterior will be restored to its original appearance of a traditional New Orleans corner grocery, the owner said Monday morning.

“We’re trying to bring it back to the traditional old-style corner grocery,” said Darryl Reginelli. “It’s really going to go back to what it was originally.”
- Photo: Uptown Messenger

EXXXXXXCITING!!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 2:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCream View Post
http://uptownmessenger.com/2012/06/f...ross-magazine/

- Photo: Uptown Messenger

EXXXXXXCITING!!

I wouldn't care if every WOW burned down. I know they're a local chain, but what an embarrassment. 8$ for a hamburger cooked from a frozen pre-made patty and placed on regular toast? I'll pass.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 3:08 PM

Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I wouldn't care if every WOW burned down. I know they're a local chain, but what an embarrassment. 8$ for a hamburger cooked from a frozen pre-made patty and placed on regular toast? I'll pass.
Bahahah, why do you think they closed down!?! My friends and I would go for the $10 Wow-tows of beer (100oz of beer in a tower). We'd just sit there and get drunk. It was always completely dead...no one ate the food...the service was usually god-awful. Nacho mama's was about the same, just different style of food...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations