HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 23, 2017, 5:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Around 4? How hard is it to count 4 people, CBC?
LOL! Yeah but CBC only had a reporter, a cameraman and two aides there to do the counting!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 3:18 PM

Cause holds up signs and flailing wildly at a 'chronic collision location' isn't dangerous at all. I think the City just went through this only a year or two ago. Length of amber lights. A they were determined to be just fine, no?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 9:00 PM

City has a funny way of determining traffic signals when it comes to some of the local councilors.

A number of years ago the signals department wanted to take out an old obsolete traffic signal location on Watt St from the early 60's (only worked during the day) and replace it with a pedestrian corridor to have 24/7 coverage.

When the signals were installed there were no pedestrian corridors otherwise a corridor would have gone in there then as the intersection does not qualify for signals under current rules.

Instead of listening the the trained signals engineers, the local councilor went and talked to the local school principal and church priest. They both did not like the idea so we still have a traffic signal that cost $$$ to replace and does not give 24/7 protection like a corridor would.

I don't ask engineers about what it correct for education or religion so I am not sure why the councilor asked the school and church about traffic issues.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2017, 10:48 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

City cuts ribbon on multi-million-dollar transportation management centre

Motorists will soon experience a quicker rush hour commute with the opening of the city's new $3.6-million Transportation Management Centre.

First promised by Mayor Sam Katz during his first election, the centre connects the 650 signalized intersections in the city to one management hub.

"This is a cutting edge, high-tech tool that will help improve traffic flow and assist drivers on a daily basis," Mayor Brian Bowman said on Tuesday.

Bowman said motorists will get real-time traffic flow information using the Waze smartphone app.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...411671265.html

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
City has a funny way of determining traffic signals when it comes to some of the local councilors.

A number of years ago the signals department wanted to take out an old obsolete traffic signal location on Watt St from the early 60's (only worked during the day) and replace it with a pedestrian corridor to have 24/7 coverage.

When the signals were installed there were no pedestrian corridors otherwise a corridor would have gone in there then as the intersection does not qualify for signals under current rules.

Instead of listening the the trained signals engineers, the local councilor went and talked to the local school principal and church priest. They both did not like the idea so we still have a traffic signal that cost $$$ to replace and does not give 24/7 protection like a corridor would.

I don't ask engineers about what it correct for education or religion so I am not sure why the councilor asked the school and church about traffic issues.
That's the one at Washington? I think it was originally there for the industrial areas? But they really only have access from Raleigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
City cuts ribbon on multi-million-dollar transportation management centre

Motorists will soon experience a quicker rush hour commute with the opening of the city's new $3.6-million Transportation Management Centre.

First promised by Mayor Sam Katz during his first election, the centre connects the 650 signalized intersections in the city to one management hub.

"This is a cutting edge, high-tech tool that will help improve traffic flow and assist drivers on a daily basis," Mayor Brian Bowman said on Tuesday.

Bowman said motorists will get real-time traffic flow information using the Waze smartphone app.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...411671265.html
Really interested to see how this thing works out. I almost applied for a job there, but decided against it due to long term employment uncertainties. The centre will be functioning from 6am-7pm on weekdays only at the start, and during large events outside of those times (Bombers games?). I could see this being a benefit during the winter months when things are slippery. It will also be interesting to see if one can notice when the signals are being manipulated by the controllers. Long greens light cycles for example.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I could see this being a benefit during the winter months when things are slippery. It will also be interesting to see if one can notice when the signals are being manipulated by the controllers. Long greens light cycles for example.
That alone would be a godsend. There's nothing worse when there's wet snow and it takes cars 10 seconds just to get moving off a green light... sometimes you barely get 5 or 6 cars moving through a green because they're typically so short in this city. It's maddening.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:28 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. So maybe on routes like Bishop, Lag, Kenaston, they can mess with the lights a bit to let more traffic through once they actually get moving. But if they only have 2 people on staff each day, they won't be able to monitor the whole City obviously. Operating budget is about $500k annually.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
That alone would be a godsend. There's nothing worse when there's wet snow and it takes cars 10 seconds just to get moving off a green light... sometimes you barely get 5 or 6 cars moving through a green because they're typically so short in this city. It's maddening.
Add to that most of people in this city are too cheap or poor to buy/use snow tires even though the winter season lasts six months!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:40 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Add to that most of people in this city are too cheap or poor to buy/use snow tires even though the winter season lasts six months!
We put a set of Nokian studded tires on our car last winter (using the MPI layaway plan).

(Good quality) Studded tires will change your life. Unbelievable really.

Noisy yes - but if everyone used them, we could probably do away with salting the roads completely.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:41 PM

It really is surprising if you've never had winter tires. You think how can changing the rubber compound really help that much. But it does.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:43 PM

Haha, I'm one of those cheap bastards without winter tires. But I think I'll break down and spring for a set for at least one car later this year.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 3:45 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Haha, I'm one of those cheap bastards without winter tires. But I think I'll break down and spring for a set for at least one car later this year.
I used to think they were useless. On a car, I'd never be without them. My Mustang is now a 4 season vehicle lol.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 4:39 PM
Ignore these four words.

Tried winter tires for the first time this year, now I'm a true believer. Makes a big difference.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:09 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
It really is surprising if you've never had winter tires. You think how can changing the rubber compound really help that much. But it does.
Not just the compound but the tread design and all the extra siping. Just gotta ask the ice racing guys who race rubber to ice.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:

The City has really moved away from the older pedistrean corridor overhead lights to on-demand traffic signals. Some examples are the one in Osborne Village near the Village Inn, on Notre Dame by No Frills and near the Assinboine Forrest. Some of them are more for cross traffic access like the one on Portage Ave near DeLuca's. That said one thing that stands out about them compared to normal intersections is the lights only exist on one of the two streets. It is actually fairly dangerous to be a vehicle on the other street as you have limited way of knowing if you are about the have the light change against you.

Quote:
Really interested to see how this thing works out. I almost applied for a job there, but decided against it due to long term employment uncertainties. The centre will be functioning from 6am-7pm on weekdays only at the start, and during large events outside of those times (Bombers games?). I could see this being a benefit during the winter months when things are slippery. It will also be interesting to see if one can notice when the signals are being manipulated by the controllers. Long greens light cycles for example.
During something like a Bomber game I could see the Traffic Management Center (TMC) being a net savings to the City. Currently they dispatch in the neighbourhood of 10+ police/cadets just to help with the traffic conditions. If they could cut that in half and pay two people at the TMC you have a savings in salaries being paid.

In terms of tweaking the timings, if you are someone that often travels the same route and has a fairly good sense of the light timings there is a pretty high chance you will notice if someone is messing with the normal light timings.

In terms of winter and slower times for vehicles to get moving, sure having a longer cycle would be a benefit but you have to keep in mind the overall system needs to be in balance. You don't lengthen the Bishop light at St Marys by 50% because the road is ice taking that time away from St Marys without putting in issues elsewhere. That said if you say did a universal 25% increase in timing to all lights city wide it could help get a few extra cars through each cycle and cut down some of the lost time on light changes. That said tough while the green cycle would gain 25% the red cycle would also gain 25% so it might end up being a net loss.

The bigger benefit I would imagine is adjusting to on the fly events like an accident that closes several lanes of traffic resulting in detours. So say Portage and Main is closed you could adjust timings for lights on the reroute to handle the added volume of traffic and potentinally even set lights to permanent red where through traffic is not allowed due to a road closure.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:15 PM

I'm thinking if you lengthen each light cycle, not just for Bishop for example, it will allow more vehicles to get through. You spend that time speeding up, then the light changes after only a few vehicles get through. So if you lengthen each cycle during the rushes by 15 seconds or something, it would be a benefit. Almost think of vehicles running in a cycle. They're stopped, need to get going on ice which takes longer, then need to stop again. So if you let those vehicles that are already moving, keep moving for an extra 15 seconds, it will clear out the line-up.

Then if you have someone there looking at the cameras, they could let the green light run if there is no, or minimal, cross traffic. My two cents anyways.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 6:58 PM

Some more info on the TMC.
http://www.winnipeg.ca/PublicWorks/t...MgmtCentre.stm

Is it possible to embed youtube videos on here?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:35 PM

Quote:
That's the one at Washington? I think it was originally there for the industrial areas? But they really only have access from Raleigh.

It was put in because some kid got hit there back in the 1960's when that area was a lot busier with the farm implement factory operating where the "industrial park" now is.. It was put in by the old City of East Kildonan

Same as the lights on Munroe, all of them could have been 4 way stops like by the other schools in EK.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 7:42 PM

I too looked at a job in the TMC but decided not to when I saw they wanted a CET designation. I may be wrong but I thought CET's were more of a hands on fix the component training.

I have nearly 40 years of IT operations experience so spending 8-12 hours a day in front of a group of screens is second nature to me.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2017, 8:10 PM

Quote:
It was put in because some kid got hit there back in the 1960's when that area was a lot busier with the farm implement factory operating where the "industrial park" now is.. It was put in by the old City of East Kildonan

Same as the lights on Munroe, all of them could have been 4 way stops like by the other schools in EK.
Ah, that's right. I think you've told us that once before too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan