HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:13 PM

Thanks for the update bomberjet

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:14 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkspec View Post
Peguis and concodia is closed again, i see they are adding a sidewalk, but did they just re-do the road work what was done last year?

Is it ever going to get twinned to concordia?
Speaking of Concordia and that general area, drove through Panet at Concordia where they had redone the intersection by adding lanes, traffic lights, some ornamental sidewalk work just a few years ago, now all ripped to shit from the snow removal crews. Just can't have nice stuff in Winnipeg, sad!

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:49 AM

Why are we the only city in the world that places our directions after our street names?

Portage Ave East, Regent Ave West, etc.

Everywhere else it'd be E Portage Ave or W Regent Ave.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:58 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Toronto does Finch Avenue West and Finch Avenue East, etc, too.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:37 AM

You're right – seems like it's very rare that way though.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
You're right – seems like it's very rare that way though.
Huh? The direction goes after the name in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, London, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, and Calgary. It's completely normal in Canada. Among major cities, only Vancouver does it the other way.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:02 PM

Another weird thing we do is our route number system. With the exception of route 90, I have never once heard anyone use the other route numbers in the city (Who calls the 59 route 20 or whatever it is). Furthermore I could see it being really confusing for a tourist who is looking for a provincial highway and can only find these numbers that end at the city limits.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:55 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice View Post
Huh? The direction goes after the name in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Windsor, London, Thunder Bay, Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Edmonton, and Calgary. It's completely normal in Canada. Among major cities, only Vancouver does it the other way.
The way they do it in Vancouver (as in W. Pender St.) is the way they do it in the U.S. (Pretty much all over the U.S. from east to west AFAIK.)

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
Another weird thing we do is our route number system. With the exception of route 90, I have never once heard anyone use the other route numbers in the city (Who calls the 59 route 20 or whatever it is). Furthermore I could see it being really confusing for a tourist who is looking for a provincial highway and can only find these numbers that end at the city limits.
I wonder if the Metro Route thing hasn't outlived its usefulness... it dates back to the pre-Unicity days of the 60s when Metro Winnipeg wanted to establish some continuity throughout the city. These days I'm not sure that there's much of a purpose to it.

You're right, of all the Metro Routes only 90 stuck for some reason. You could ask a thousand people and I'd be surprised if more than a few knew that Portage Avenue is "Route 85" even though there are probably hundreds of signs proclaiming it as such.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post
I agree that they aren't used, but don't think its particularly weird to have them. I think they're useful in situations like route 90 (or route 62 which I personally often say) in which they follow a bunch of different street names. Less useful for something like route 180 which is mcphillips the entire length.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 4:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I agree that they aren't used, but don't think its particularly weird to have them. I think they're useful in situations like route 90 (or route 62 which I personally often say) in which they follow a bunch of different street names. Less useful for something like route 180 which is mcphillips the entire length.
The City of Ottawa which is larger than Luxembourg, and a quarter of the size of Lebanon and Jamaica (or half the size of PEI) has an extensive municipal road network with numbers. Part of it is the result of the downloading of provincial highways to municipalities that was done some years ago.

Their numbers appear on provincial highway exits

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.31705...7i13312!8i6656

But no one really uses them or could even name the number of the road they're on.

With one exception which is Ottawa Road 174 which is the expressway that leads to the east end suburb of Orleans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Regional_Road_174

It used to be the Trans-Canada Highway (numbered as Ontario 17) and part of the super-long Ontario 17 route from the Manitoba border to the Quebec
border.

After downloading the 17 has been split up into disconnected sections, and disappears and reappears.

When you leave Ottawa city limits, this road becomes County Road 17 as Prescott-Russell's county government decided to keep the same number when it got responsibility for it downloaded onto them.

But for some reason the City of Ottawa opted to leave number 17 to some other road, and gave the 174 number to this one.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:09 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The City of Ottawa which is larger than Luxembourg, and a quarter of the size of Lebanon and Jamaica (or half the size of PEI) has an extensive municipal road network with numbers. Part of it is the result of the downloading of provincial highways to municipalities that was done some years ago.

Their numbers appear on provincial highway exits

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.31705...7i13312!8i6656

But no one really uses them or could even name the number of the road they're on.

With one exception which is Ottawa Road 174 which is the expressway that leads to the east end suburb of Orleans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Regional_Road_174

It used to be the Trans-Canada Highway (numbered as Ontario 17) and part of the super-long Ontario 17 route from the Manitoba border to the Quebec
border.

After downloading the 17 has been split up into disconnected sections, and disappears and reappears.

When you leave Ottawa city limits, this road becomes County Road 17 as Prescott-Russell's county government decided to keep the same number when it got responsibility for it downloaded onto them.

But for some reason the City of Ottawa opted to leave number 17 to some other road, and gave the 174 number to this one.
I didn’t get why 174 until recently: Route 17, 4 lanes. Obviously, the city can’t rename it Ottawa City Road 417 because that will confuse everybody. As for Merivale Road (Ottawa City Road 17), it may have been numbered that way before the downloading...?

Ps: When I first saw the map of Winnipeg, I was pretty surprised to find that the city has its own numbered routes too. I’ve always thought it’s only an ontarian thing.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 6:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I didn’t get why 174 until recently: Route 17, 4 lanes. Obviously, the city can’t rename it Ottawa City Road 417 because that will confuse everybody. As for Merivale Road (Ottawa City Road 17), it may have been numbered that way before the downloading...?
I suppose it was, but as I mentioned it wouldn't have been a big deal to change Merivale's number as nobody calls it 17 anyway.

Whereas the 174 was frequently referred to as Highway 17 previously. Although the name Queensway or Queensway East or East Queensway was also used and is still used.

(The "Queensway" in common Ottawa lingo actually refers to the highway that roughly runs from Kanata to Orleans east-west. For the western three quarters of it it is numbered ON-417, and for the eastern quarter it's Ottawa Road 174. The 417 east of St. Laurent within Ottawa city limits that passes by Innes, Walkley and Hunt Club is not considered the Queensway.)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 12:03 AM

The city seriously needs to ban right turns on reds from 7 am – 7 pm Mon-Sat everywhere in the Exchange and Downtown. The amount of times in the last few weeks I’ve almost been hit walking, or crosswalk blocked when the walk signal is on is ridiculous. It’s even worse on a bike when you can’t as easily walk around. No one stops at the “stop line” then goes up, people often just barrel through. Same should apply to left turns on reds to one-ways.

Also of note, curb repairs and resurfacing are currently happening on McDermot, Bannatyne, and Adelaide in advance of the protected bike lanes going in. Looks like they could be ready in a few weeks.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 5:11 PM

RFP is out for Fermor Ave upgrades from Plessis overpass through the Lagimodiere intersection. Lots of normal Winnipeg Expressway stuff. I couldn't find a single reference to any sort of future interchanges.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folder...2018&YEAR=2018

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
RFP is out for Fermor Ave upgrades from Plessis overpass through the Lagimodiere intersection. Lots of normal Winnipeg Expressway stuff. I couldn't find a single reference to any sort of future interchanges.

http://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folder...2018&YEAR=2018
It will be interesting to see how they deal with the road alignment with the possibility of re-building and/or moving the overpass over the rail yard. Manitoba Infrastructure will have to get that done sooner than later, whether they like it or not.

I'd imagine having a boundary between city and province right in your site limits makes planning pretty tricky (more like frustratingly slow)

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Too bad that there aren't any plans for a Fermor/Lagimodiere interchange, even if they're long range... that is one intersection that between its high speeds, heavy traffic volumes and location basically at the entrance of the city along the inner beltway route strikes me as a suitable candidate for grade separation.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 7:58 PM

Bannatyne bike lane lane from Main to Arthur was just installed in about an hour. They could cruise with these (dependent on surface/curb repairs).

Old Posted Jun 12, 2018, 11:44 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Yes, but that's a bit different, just an inheritance of township roads I expect. If it were like Winnipeg the main downtown streets would also have numbers. They aren't really used that much as such but they are important visual cues. For a long time they were the only thing that appeared on most overhead signs, but the street names were eventually added in.

People might not be able to tell you that Route 52 is St. Mary's Road but when driving, if they see the "52" sign, they instinctively know what it means. "Route 90" very commonly used and "Route 165" was initially preferred over "Bishop Grandin" but doesn't seem to be used that way anymore.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2018, 1:53 AM

Living in garden city, I always use route 62 when referring to salter-Isabel-balmoral-colony-Osborne-Dakota, as I drive to the south end of the city. I find it easier to say.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan