HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction

270 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:07 PM

Hey guys I’m new to this forum, I been following these threads since 2008 but just decided to join. Anyways I hope this tower gets to kinda look like the Ping An Financial Center with the golden braces

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 7:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Welcome welcome. Don't feel awkward, I lurked religiously for 8 years before joining!

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:33 AM

That screenshot looks promising. Fingers crossed this is the taller version.

A 1,500-1,600 ft. Foster-designed landmark tower would be amazing.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:51 AM
New Yorker for life

Yeah, it has some shades of some of his earlier designs that I like, the Russia Tower for example, with the folded columns. If he could give us a great crown, I'd be happy.

http://www.worldofarchi.com/2012/08/...in-europe.html

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 5:20 AM

Thanks for the welcome, I will be contributing with skyline pictures from up here in the Bronx and Uptown areas with my cell phone, later I’ll upgrade to a camera. Hopefully we’ll see this future behemoth peeking from here

Last edited by BXFrank; Mar 15, 2019 at 5:22 AM. Reason: Pictures are not uploading

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Yeah, it has some shades of some of his earlier designs that I like, the Russia Tower for example, with the folded columns. If he could give us a great crown, I'd be happy.

http://www.worldofarchi.com/2012/08/...in-europe.html

I like the structural expressionism and what appear to be related to diagrids-now if he just follows through with bringing them back together at the top to make an interesting crown.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 2:46 PM
New Yorker for life

The 50 minute city planning hearing for 270 Park begins in this video at around the 3:34 mark...

Video Link

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:23 PM
BANNED

It says video disabled when I try to play it. Did they show the whole tower on the video or just the base?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
It says video disabled when I try to play it. Did they show the whole tower on the video or just the base?
They disabled playback on other sites, you have to click on the link at the bottom. It's the hearing from a couple of days ago.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kvffalPQ-Qk

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:39 PM

Just the base- starts around 3:30

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
They disabled playback on other sites, you have to click on the link at the bottom. It's the hearing from a couple of days ago.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kvffalPQ-Qk
Thanks

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 3:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Just the base- starts around 3:30
Thanks!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:00 PM
Metal Up Your !

Also a big fan of warm metals. Can't wait to see what the overall design is. I hope it's not a box all the way through, and we get some nice tapering with some golden ratios going on here.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
Also a big fan of warm metals. Can't wait to see what the overall design is. I hope it's not a box all the way through, and we get some nice tapering with some golden ratios going on here.
It's definitely not a box that simple rises upward from a rectangular base. The schematics show that there are several setbacks on the north and south sides. It would be nice if there also are setbacks on the east and west sides, as it rises.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 4:54 PM
New Yorker for life

Looking at some of the graphics and listening to the testimony of a tower being "lifted up", I'm convinced that the building cantilevers to a degree on all sides. You can even see the lobby elevation from the Park Avenue entrance as it progresses inside the building in the first graphic...

It also looks as if the building is set back 42 ft from the street on north and south sides of the site...

The design at the lower office levels isn't recessed that far from the street...

Another option could be that those are just the setback levels, but that's what I'm getting from what we've seen so far.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 6:22 PM

From watching the video, it sounds and looks like the proposed building footprint is smaller than originally planned (pulled back from the street more and staggered), even taking the cantilever into account. I can see this easily hitting 500 meters -and that is not including the crown- if they are still aiming for the same square footage.
Keeping my fingers crossed for both a new tallest and a great design...

Footprint looks a bit like the Philip Johnson's IDS tower.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 7:30 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Let's hope. With the current space planned or projected, any sort of alteration to the ratio will result in a nice boost. Tapering could be of benefit. Let's hope for a crown!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2019, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
I can see this easily hitting 500 meters -and that is not including the crown- if they are still aiming for the same square footage.
Keeping my fingers crossed for both a new tallest and a great design...
This is my hope too. All I know is the base footprint has shrunk while the overall size is the same, meaning the building has likely grown taller. A truly dominant Foster tower would be epic for Midtown East.

Also, has anyone noticed how many upcoming towers are planned for the east side of Madison in the 40's? I count six major development sites, and all can access Grand Central air rights. Two are u/c or about to be (One Vanderbilt and 270 Park), and there are four additional sites (335 Madison, the former MTA HQ, the Biltmore hotel and now the 415 Madison block). The Bank of China site on the west side of Madison is another assemblage.

I wouldn't be surprised if Madison emerges as the most impressive vertical stretch of urban RE on the planet, besting even Billionaires Row.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 5:49 AM

Sorry fellas, finally learned how to post pics here. From my vantage point up in the Bronx and Uptown this tower will be another 1,400ft filler amongst billionaire row towers and Vanderbilt. New York needs a Megatall, my pics from my cellphone:

https://flic.kr/p/24zAjdc

https://flic.kr/p/2fc6ZAR

https://flic.kr/p/24zAjmt

Last edited by BXFrank; Mar 16, 2019 at 5:53 AM. Reason: Pics not uploading

Old Posted Mar 16, 2019, 6:57 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
Sorry fellas, finally learned how to post pics here. From my vantage point up in the Bronx and Uptown this tower will be another 1,400ft filler amongst billionaire row towers and Vanderbilt. New York needs a Megatall, my pics from my cellphone:

https://flic.kr/p/24zAjdc

https://flic.kr/p/2fc6ZAR

https://flic.kr/p/24zAjmt

This view in particular, you can already see One Vanderbilt rising. Chase will be in that view...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Also, has anyone noticed how many upcoming towers are planned for the east side of Madison in the 40's?

I wouldn't be surprised if Madison emerges as the most impressive vertical stretch of urban RE on the planet, besting even Billionaires Row.

Madison Avenue has some great potential for new development. Below are some of the projected development sites in Midtown East...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Supertall Construction