HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:48 AM
somewhere in-between

Nice work. I really love the look and feel of Parker's Alley, behind Shinola. I hope it is activated with some different uses. Also really like the street wall effect you get now, looking down Columbia towards Comerica. It's just 1-story infill, but it makes a big difference.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 1:58 AM

Retail alley behind Shinola Hotel downtown gets a historic name

Quote:
The retail alley behind the new Shinola Hotel downtown, set to open to the general public Jan. 2, will pay homage to one of the city's first black landowners.

Parker's Alley is named after Thomas Parker, who owned a small parcel at 1413 Farmer St., which is encompassed by the alley that's being activated akin to The Belt at The Z parking deck with shops and restaurants. Parker owned the parcel from 1809 to 1816, according to a story earlier this year in the Detroit Metro Times.

Preview: Shinola Hotel Detroit to open to public Jan. 2

Quote:
The Shinola Hotel in downtown Detroit by Dan Gilbert's Bedrock LLC and Shinola/Detroit LLC will open to the public Jan. 2 after a two-year construction process.

The hotel is taking reservations now and several retail tenants, including Drought, Madewell and Shinola have already opened.

Southfield-based Barton Malow Co. is the general contractor on the project while Detroit-based Kraemer Design Group is the architect. New York City-based Gachot Studios and Architecture also worked on the project.

New York City-based NoHo Hospitality Group is responsible for food and beverage while the hotel is managed by Mac&Lo Hospitality Management & Consulting.

New integrated health center opens in Detroit

Quote:
Northeast Guidance Center and Detroit Community Health Connection have opened a new integrated primary care health center at the new Dr. Peter Slaughter Health Center at 20303 Kelly Road in Detroit.

To staff the 500-square-foot center, DCHC is providing a pediatric nurse practitioner, an adult internal medicine physician a medical assistant and receptionist, said CEO Wayne Bradley Sr. Mental health referrals will be made to Northeast Guidance Center, which provides behavioral and primary health care services in four locations, including now two with DCHC.
The Metropolitan Building set to open after nearly 40 year vacancy

Quote:
Crews are finishing up one of the most anticipated restorations in Detroit. The Metropolitan Building, vacant for nearly 40 years and once slated for demo, opens again on Monday.

The Element Detroit Hotel will open by the end of the year, but an event next week will open the Great Hall for media and guests.

Iggy's Eggies cracks open its first egg in Capitol Park

Quote:
The breakfast walk-up window made its debut on Thursday morning with a selection of build-your-own breakfast sandwiches. The sandwiches are made with a selection of English muffin, brioche, or housemade biscuit, and can be upgraded to include American, cheddar, or Swiss cheese. Customers also have the option to add meat and may choose from bacon, sausage, ham, turkey, or vegan sausage.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
Nice work. I really love the look and feel of Parker's Alley, behind Shinola. I hope it is activated with some different uses. Also really like the street wall effect you get now, looking down Columbia towards Comerica. It's just 1-story infill, but it makes a big difference.
I agree about the Columbia Street infill. I'd love to see more infill in the 1-4 story range on some of the smaller lots around downtown.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 2:38 AM
Registered Ugly

The asymmetry of the Metropolitan has always annoyed the hell out of me. I’m so glad it’s saved, but what a hot mess.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:17 PM
alive and kickin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post

I'm curious what's going to go in the retail space in the Singer Building. It looks like San Morello is on both sides of it, but does not occupy the Singer space.
This is the finishing kitchen for San Morello. To the left of it is the private dining room, to the right is the main dining room. There is a prep kitchen in the basement as well.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:20 PM

Dan Gilbert says his biggest Detroit real estate projects will weather a recession
By Kirk Pinho Crain’s Detroit 12/16/2018
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/real-e...ther-recession
“But even if a recession hits in the next year or two, as many economists have predicted, he says that won't have much of an impact on his smattering of splashy downtown Detroit building projects because much of his new developments are self-financed, at least initially before permanent financing is secured.”

Good to hear, for Detroit, that Dan Gilbert has factored a possible recession into his plans already so we should not see any cutbacks to any of Bedrocks current projects

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
The asymmetry of the Metropolitan has always annoyed the hell out of me. I’m so glad it’s saved, but what a hot mess.
I like it. A funny subtle trait of the building.
I can't even believe it'd been abandoned for 40 years.
You 'murikans are nuts anyway.

No kidding, strict symmetry has been a traditional specialty over here in the Paris region, but it ends up annoying and frustrating, like fascistic or something.
It's funnier to go funky sometimes.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitRises View Post

Good to hear, for Detroit, that Dan Gilbert has factored a possible recession into his plans already so we should not see any cutbacks to any of Bedrocks current projects
I don't think he intentionally factored it in so much as him having to self-finance part of the projects was one of the only options he really had (that and some decent public subsidies).

I'm sure if Gilbert went to some investors during the middle of Detroit's bankruptcy and said he needed a few hundred million for the tallest new skyscraper in the city, they might have laughed right in his face.

That said, that also means these projects could sit empty or with low occupancy after they're completed if the possible incoming recession was bad enough. Though that may not matter so much as long as the public parts of the building are still usable.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 8:48 PM

Just curious if anyone knows anything about the following proposed developments:

1) The Woodward @ Midtown - last I heard the developers partnered with another developer (The Platform) secured financing and even announced that a Kusso Chicken restaurant would be opening on the main floor.

2) SOMA Detroit - They provided a bunch of renderings and I believe West Elm Hotel had agreed to be part of the development.

3) Chemical Bank Headquarters

4) The Ilitch's so-called "District Detroit" - Ilitich stated that there would be massive developments surrounding the new arena. Is there any likelihood or news that he will develop the sea of parking lots around his new arena. The most frustrating open surface parking lot he owns is the giant lot on Woodward in between Comerica park and the Fox Theater (this seems like some of the most prime property in all of Detroit and could easily be developed - it has sat vacant for well over 20 years)

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
That said, that also means these projects could sit empty or with low occupancy after they're completed if the possible incoming recession was bad enough. Though that may not matter so much as long as the public parts of the building are still usable.
The hotel will be easily filled (which is what most of the Hudson tower is), The office portions aren't going to fill up overnight especially if there is a mild recession which is expected.

I've heard rumors that he already has a tenant lined up for the podium of Hudson's which could be why they expanded it. And the one Campus Martius edition will probably be filled quickly with his own companies/startups/acquisitions once it's finished.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakes View Post
Just curious if anyone knows anything about the following proposed developments:

1) The Woodward @ Midtown - last I heard the developers partnered with another developer (The Platform) secured financing and even announced that a Kusso Chicken restaurant would be opening on the main floor.

2) SOMA Detroit - They provided a bunch of renderings and I believe West Elm Hotel had agreed to be part of the development.

3) Chemical Bank Headquarters

4) The Ilitch's so-called "District Detroit" - Ilitich stated that there would be massive developments surrounding the new arena. Is there any likelihood or news that he will develop the sea of parking lots around his new arena. The most frustrating open surface parking lot he owns is the giant lot on Woodward in between Comerica park and the Fox Theater (this seems like some of the most prime property in all of Detroit and could easily be developed - it has sat vacant for well over 20 years)

1. the original developers are just not very trustworthy. they've had signs up since 2013 (!!) saying 'development coming soon'. they keep kicking the can down the road. with the platform getting on board i think that there's a lot more credibility to the group, but since that news release about kuzzo's and the platform a few months ago there has been absolutely no activity on the site, and not another whisper. if by next summer nothing is heard, consider it dead in the water until the original development group just jumps ship.

2. Not sure what to make of SOMA. they have beautiful renderings and an ambitious plan, i'm assuming they're trying to line up an anchor office tenant, you don't just build a 13 story office tower outside of the CBD on speculation. they have all the tools to succeed with the q line station RIGHT out front, and incredible freeway access and location. with west elm hotel too being an anchor tenant for the development you'd think we would've seen some action. who knows

3. that was only pretty recently announced, with the mayors office on board i think there's some more credibility too (although look at harmoine park), but i would imagine that should break ground officially by next summer.

4. hahahahahahaha
the illitches are one of detroits biggest slum lords. until they completely sell the property surrounding comerica/ behind the fox/ and surrounding LCA i expect absolutely NOTHING to come from their 'district' garbage. they are pathetic.
they announced retail and offices surrounding their parking garages, and BUILT THE FRAMES OUT, and have left them rotting.

the eddystone is STILL sitting windowless, after report and report saying that they're going to finally renovate it. i think they're trying to leave it exposed to the elements as long as possible to have an excuse to tear it down. god i hope the mayor and council lay the absolute hammer down if they even THINK about pulling a demo permit.

then... THEN.. they announce a new parking garage behind the eddystone.. in their press release talk about "oh there may be an office and retail component on the street side of it!!!"... and two weeks later the entire parking garage is COMPLETE!! and NOT A WHIFF OF RETAIL OR OFFICE SPACE!!!... but man oh MAN were they able to secure the financing and time to put that precious parking garage up in what seemed like record time. god forbid they use those resources to drive to a f**king wallside windows just to secure the damn Eddystone!!

repeat after me. THE ILLITCHES ARE DETROITS BIGGEST SLUM LORDS. PERIOD. UNTIL THE COUNCIL STARTS FORCING THEM TO PAY MAJOR FINES FOR WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO OUR CITY DEVELOPMENT FROM GRAND CIRCUS PARK UP UNTIL CHARLOTTE STREET WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER HAPPEN.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:23 PM

Great, thanks Detroiterforlife, that was very informative. Let's hope we hear more soon.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2018, 11:50 PM

The Woodward at Midtown was supposed to break ground last October, along with the Stone Soap redevelopment. Nothing has occurred at Stone Soap either.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:03 AM

To add to the list of projects with unknown status;

a planned high rise at Van Dyke and Jefferson;

the redevelopment of the Herman Kiefer Complex;

the Russell Flats in Eastern Market;

the CPA Building in Corktown;

Bagley 10 (or 5) Condos;

Bagley-Trumbull Development;

the Midtown West Development;

Brush Park South;

and whatever Wayne State was planning on doing with the lot at Canfield and Cass.

The were a few other rumors and one-off news reports of planned projects some going back to 2015.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiterforlife View Post
1. the original developers are just not very trustworthy. they've had signs up since 2013 (!!) saying 'development coming soon'. they keep kicking the can down the road. with the platform getting on board i think that there's a lot more credibility to the group, but since that news release about kuzzo's and the platform a few months ago there has been absolutely no activity on the site, and not another whisper. if by next summer nothing is heard, consider it dead in the water until the original development group just jumps ship.

2. Not sure what to make of SOMA. they have beautiful renderings and an ambitious plan, i'm assuming they're trying to line up an anchor office tenant, you don't just build a 13 story office tower outside of the CBD on speculation. they have all the tools to succeed with the q line station RIGHT out front, and incredible freeway access and location. with west elm hotel too being an anchor tenant for the development you'd think we would've seen some action. who knows

3. that was only pretty recently announced, with the mayors office on board i think there's some more credibility too (although look at harmoine park), but i would imagine that should break ground officially by next summer.

4. hahahahahahaha
the illitches are one of detroits biggest slum lords. until they completely sell the property surrounding comerica/ behind the fox/ and surrounding LCA i expect absolutely NOTHING to come from their 'district' garbage. they are pathetic.
they announced retail and offices surrounding their parking garages, and BUILT THE FRAMES OUT, and have left them rotting.

the eddystone is STILL sitting windowless, after report and report saying that they're going to finally renovate it. i think they're trying to leave it exposed to the elements as long as possible to have an excuse to tear it down. god i hope the mayor and council lay the absolute hammer down if they even THINK about pulling a demo permit.

then... THEN.. they announce a new parking garage behind the eddystone.. in their press release talk about "oh there may be an office and retail component on the street side of it!!!"... and two weeks later the entire parking garage is COMPLETE!! and NOT A WHIFF OF RETAIL OR OFFICE SPACE!!!... but man oh MAN were they able to secure the financing and time to put that precious parking garage up in what seemed like record time. god forbid they use those resources to drive to a f**king wallside windows just to secure the damn Eddystone!!

repeat after me. THE ILLITCHES ARE DETROITS BIGGEST SLUM LORDS. PERIOD. UNTIL THE COUNCIL STARTS FORCING THEM TO PAY MAJOR FINES FOR WHAT THEY ARE DOING TO OUR CITY DEVELOPMENT FROM GRAND CIRCUS PARK UP UNTIL CHARLOTTE STREET WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER HAPPEN.
I agree. Completely. As much as I think LCA is a nice arena, I don't think the slumlords should have been rewarded with public money for that. I would have rathered the pistons continue to play at the palace and the wings at the joe...IF knowing the district detroit was just a f*cking sham. Screw the ilitches. All their teams suck too. Heck all Detroit teams have sucked for a while oy ve.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
To add to the list of projects with unknown status;

a planned high rise at Van Dyke and Jefferson;

the redevelopment of the Herman Kiefer Complex;

the Russell Flats in Eastern Market;

the CPA Building in Corktown;

Bagley 10 (or 5) Condos;

Bagley-Trumbull Development;

the Midtown West Development;

Brush Park South;

and whatever Wayne State was planning on doing with the lot at Canfield and Cass.

The were a few other rumors and one-off news reports of planned projects some going back to 2015.
The Russell Flats site and project was put up for auction in April 2018. There's a chance some changes are being made. The site is still unused.

Last we heard about Midtown West, they hired Studio Libeskind to handle the project and they expected a groundbreaking in spring 2019.

The Vernor, which was the WSU development at Cass and Canfield, was more or less cancelled last summer.

While looking up information on Brush Park South, I came across these renderings of 304 Erskine from November 2018 from Brush Park Community Development Corp.'s website. SOMA and Brush Park South are listed alongside it on the Current Development Projects page.

Just because there hasn't been any info made public in awhile doesn't mean the projects are dead. For example, Brush Park CDC is showing an updated design presentation document for The Kelemen from May 2015, meaning the original proposal is older, and The Kelemen is still currently under construction and its almost 2019. Unfortunately development in Detroit takes forever. But I wouldn't write any of these off as cancelled just yet.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Oh I love it. It speaks of the historic imperfection of natural urban growth. The architects built right up to the recorded lot lines and still kept facade bays disciplined. I’m more annoyed with that empty gap next to the Wurlitzer which is currently used for some offensive tranformers. That’s the kind of urban reality left for industrial zones, not downtown street corners

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 7:06 PM

I don't remember hearing about this one.

http://moss-design.com/the-moss-prop...roit-saultbox/

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post

I believe this was part of the Redesigning Detroit design competition Gilbert held for the Hudson's site in 2013. All of the entires were purely conceptual and were never meant to be actual proposals.

Photos: The Metropolitan Building opens its doors for the first time in nearly 40 years

Quote:
It’s hard to imagine that Detroit could have lost the Metropolitan Building. The 14-story Neo-Gothic building closed in 1979, and five years ago, talks were underway to demolish it.

On Monday, the 1925 building opened its doors to the public for the first time in decades.

In a dedication ceremony beforehand, David Di Rita from the Roxbury Group talked about how the original designers, Weston & Ellington, “Built a Gothic castle in an alley and filled it with jewelry.” The Metropolitan housed diamond-cutters, silver workers, goldsmiths, and more for decades before it succumbed to difficult times in the 1970’s.

Now, in this second life, it will be home to the Element Hotel, an extended-stay hotel with 110 rooms set to open by the end of the year.

Vacant Jefferson-Chalmers buildings to be rehabbed for apartments

Quote:
The Marlborough apartment building, located on Marlborough Street north of Jefferson, is a 1927 building that will house 15 affordable and market-rate apartments. According to a release from the city, the building has been vacant for more than three decades.

The IDAO Building, south of Jefferson, will have eight units with market-rate and affordable options.

The Marlborough

IDAO Building

Detroit house-swap program completes first cluster of transfers from Delray

Quote:
As residents of Detroit's Delray neighborhood grapple with traffic congestion and poor air quality during construction of the Gordie Howe International Bridge, a house-swap program has completed its first round of transfers.

The $32.6 million Bridging Neighborhoods Program, approved in July 2017 by Detroit City Council, was created to give residents on the outskirts of the new bridge footprint an option to relocate to a newly renovated home owned by the Detroit Land Bank Authority in exchange for their current property.

Hamtramck plans to enliven 26-acre park area with Wilson foundation grant

Quote:
An $807,200 Ralph C. Wilson Jr. Foundation grant will help create a plan to fix up a major public space in Hamtramck that includes the home turf of Detroit City FC.

The city of Hamtramck and its public school district have engaged the Michigan Municipal League to lead an effort to renovate, maintain and activate the 26-acre Veteran's Memorial Park campus, according to a news release.

Custom clothing, goods retailer to grow in Corktown

Quote:
MyLocker.com LLC operates out of a cluster of three facilities next to the Trumbull and Porter Hotel, south of Michigan Avenue. Its growth plan would create 452 jobs, according to a Michigan Economic Development Corp. news release.

The newly built 108,902-square-foot building would house inventory, a robotic inventory system, offices, and shipping and receiving, the release said. It would replace a currently standing single-story office building at 1641 Porter St.

The Michigan Strategic Fund on Tuesday approved a $2.5 million performance-based grant to help MyLocker fund its expansion. MyLocker will also get a $4.2 million construction loan through the Michigan Strategic Fund and is working with the community development financial organization Invest Detroit on further financing, the release said.
Grande Ballroom in Detroit added to National Register of Historic Places

Quote:
DETROIT - One of the most iconic buildings in Detroit is finally getting its historic designation.

The Grande Ballroom along Grand River Avenue in the city's Petosky-Otsego neighborhood has been added to the National Register of Historic Places. Opened in 1928, the rock and roll music venue hosted some of the biggest acts in America.
Quote:
The Grande has been closed since 1972. The current owners, Chapel Hill Missionary Baptist Church, and the Friends of the Grande Ballroom are actively working to figure out what's next for the building.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee1526 View Post

As mentioned, this was apart of a design competition Bedrock held for the site.

https://hudsons.opportunitydetroit.com/entry-all/

I think there was some initial influences drawn from the competition implemented into the initial proposed official design, but eventually it was refined into the current proposal when have now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations