HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:11 AM
Karma Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
The day Major League Baseball comes to Portland is the day I buy each and every forumer a condo in the Casey.
I'll take a penthouse unit. Thanks 255.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofiftyfive View Post
The day Major League Baseball comes to Portland is the day I buy each and every forumer a condo in the Casey. We only by the skin of our teeth got the city to back $70 million in bonds for PGE and the AAA park, and even that isn't finalized. The Florida Marlins just announced a $634 million stadium, of which the vast majority is coming from Miami and Dade County.
See if you can get me one in SoWa.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
9-7-2oh1-!

I'd like a unit facing north.

I believe it can happen. MLB in PDX can be a reality. I doubt we'll get the A's, but I do think that each time around gets us closer.

Is there anybody here who can explain the economics of MLB in terms of cost/benefit? Got any links that help explain it? And, along similar lines, anybody familiar with what Seattle really lost when they lost the Sonics? OK, I realize basketball is a different game entirely, but I'm curious all the same.

Old Posted May 6, 2009, 8:31 PM

Future Pdx Mlb Season Ticket Holder -right Here-

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 10:25 PM

Does anyone else hate the idea of the baseball stadium in Beaverton?

With the longterm plan of bringing in an MLB franchise they have to be somewhere near/in the core of the city.

I think a perfect location would be across the river from SoWa. I think it would be cool to place the field to get a nice view of the new development.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 11:11 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioux612 View Post
Does anyone else hate the idea of the baseball stadium in Beaverton?

With the longterm plan of bringing in an MLB franchise they have to be somewhere near/in the core of the city.

I think a perfect location would be across the river from SoWa. I think it would be cool to place the field to get a nice view of the new development.

A minor league stadium should be constructed as a down payment to a MLB stadium...the problem that we have right now is that the Beavers are forced to find a new home and there isnt money around to cover the cost of the move. The only good site for a MLB stadium is the PPS site, which is where the new Beavers stadium should be built, but the city cannot afford to build the stadium and pay for the land and help PPS move...thus we get this stupid fiasco we have been watching with the Memorial Coliseum and Lents, both of which are bad locations.

I think the idea of moving the Beavers out to Beaverton is a good idea for now...though I dont think Portland should help pay for it if it does. The move to the Round could help redevelop much of that land including the little office park to the north and give Beaverton a downtown that is actually active.

The downside for Beaverton that they must consider is MLB, either their stadium would be upgraded to take MLB when it came or a new stadium would be constructed at the PPS location, thus would put Beaverton in a bind because they would be forced to lose the AAA team because affiliated teams cannot compete in the same market. Leaving Beaverton with an unused ballpark...but it would be a risk the city has to look at either way.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 11:17 PM

Doesn't Tacoma field the "Rainiers" of AAA? Everett a AA team? They are part of the Seattle market......even Portland is considered part of the Seattle TV market for the Mariners and Seahawks...

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 12:41 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificNW View Post
Doesn't Tacoma field the "Rainiers" of AAA? Everett a AA team? They are part of the Seattle market......even Portland is considered part of the Seattle TV market for the Mariners and Seahawks...
I am looking for the actual rule, it is just something I remember back when my hometown was trying to get a mlb team. There is a distance away a MiLB team has to be from a MLB team to not pose direct competition...thus Seattle would never have a minor league team as well as a pro team.

Which might be true with Portland, that Beaverton could have a AAA team and us a pro team, but seeing that each stadium would be less that 20 minute drive from each other would put them in direct competition.

Anyway, if anyone can bet me to the information that would be great, but I will keep an eye out for it and see what I can find.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:01 AM

Cool, tks....

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
I am looking for the actual rule, it is just something I remember back when my hometown was trying to get a mlb team. There is a distance away a MiLB team has to be from a MLB team to not pose direct competition...thus Seattle would never have a minor league team as well as a pro team.

Which might be true with Portland, that Beaverton could have a AAA team and us a pro team, but seeing that each stadium would be less that 20 minute drive from each other would put them in direct competition.

Anyway, if anyone can bet me to the information that would be great, but I will keep an eye out for it and see what I can find.
Lawrenceville Georgia has a AAA team so it must me allowed. There are numerous other examples as you go down the system.

There is another baseball league, the American Assosiation, where some of the teams like Fort Worth, Grande Prarie and St. Paul are very much in the shadow of other MLB teams.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:54 PM

I don't think Portland's market is anywhere near big enough for a AAA & MLB team. We are pushing it to get a MLB team by itself. If we do get MLB it had better be (near) downtown. We aren't a role model in urban planning for nothing.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 10:01 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavlov's Dog View Post
Lawrenceville Georgia has a AAA team so it must me allowed. There are numerous other examples as you go down the system.

There is another baseball league, the American Assosiation, where some of the teams like Fort Worth, Grande Prarie and St. Paul are very much in the shadow of other MLB teams.
Dallas Minor League Proposal

I havent found any actual information that says anything about location restrictions, but I did come across an independent minor league proposal for Dallas, which addresses what I am talking about.

A few slides in, it talks about the Rangers restrictions on letting a MiLB team start within its area which requires permission from the Rangers, but independent leagues do not have this restriction, so that is the only way the Beavers could stay in Beaverton if Portland got a MLB team...what would happen is the Beavers would get relocated, then Beaverton would have to try and attract an independent team to their stadium...so in the end, it will be a huge risk for them to take on if Portland were to ever get a MLB team that built a stadium in Portland.

And also, it would be hard for a MiLB team to survive here if the metro has a MLB team.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 6:10 AM

the mariners AAA team is in tacoma i think. pretty similar to having the beavers in beaverton.

btw i attended the mariners series this weekend and I really enjoy a couple days at the ballpark. i would support MLB to PDX

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 8:40 AM

I find it very, very hard to believe that the Portland movers and shakers that I follow here and in The Oregonian would ever be organized enough to actually begin the long and hard work of attracting a MLB team to Portland, let alone actually succeed in winning a franchise expansion slot or steal a team from another city.

And then of course there would be the issue of actually building a 50,000 seat stadium that has wind turbines on the roof, four MAX stations covering all four sides of the facility, and only serves organic beer at the snack bars.

Oh, and you can't have any sponsor put a billboard up in the outfield that looks too "corporate", lest you degrade the Portland experience.

Portland could barely get a soccer team that won't get any major media exposure to take over a 60 year old baseball stadium, and even that isn't a done deal.

Just for SOCCER, of all things!

MLB and the mega-stadium it would need will require a major sea change in political thinking from Portland's city hall and the people who grease the wheels of politics there.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 6:57 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougall5505 View Post
the mariners AAA team is in tacoma i think. pretty similar to having the beavers in beaverton.

btw i attended the mariners series this weekend and I really enjoy a couple days at the ballpark. i would support MLB to PDX
Yeah, but Tacoma isnt a few miles way from downtown Seattle. With that scenerio, it would make sense to keep the minor league team in Salem, but it would be hard pressed to keep the team in Beaverton if Portland got a MLB team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyAlweg View Post
I find it very, very hard to believe that the Portland movers and shakers that I follow here and in The Oregonian would ever be organized enough to actually begin the long and hard work of attracting a MLB team to Portland, let alone actually succeed in winning a franchise expansion slot or steal a team from another city.
Actually when DC got their team, Portland was in a serious run for that, so there is some form of clout for getting a pro team here, it is just the current financial state of the city and state that makes it hard right now...plus Potter was so much against the idea, that the city lost a good 4 years or work that could of been dedicated to pushing the chances of getting a team. If anything, we will probably get an AL team when they one day do an expansion because the AL is still short a couple teams and there are not many cities that could handle a MLB team anymore...and Portland is still a growing city.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 1:32 AM

According to former Portland Tribune writer, Dwight Jaynes, they are trying to bring in the owner of the Oakland A's to look at the post office site.

My favorite location of all the proposals.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 8:08 AM
A before E

Quote:
According to former Portland Tribune writer, Dwight Jaynes, they are trying to bring in the owner of the Oakland A's to look at the post office site.

I always question the A's willingness to move...they seem to like to threaten, but never seem to follow through...but who knows, I was surprised when the Sonics finally moved out of Seattle.

Oh and it is looking like we will be saying Beaverton Beavers in the coming years cause it looks like Beaverton is more willing to find a site for the new stadium than Portland is.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 4:35 PM

Quote:

I just don't see how that location would work. Are you going to have 50,000 people trying to drive through the Pearl, up Naito, or over the Broadway bridge after a game? The gridlock would last for hours.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUclimber View Post
I just don't see how that location would work. Are you going to have 50,000 people trying to drive through the Pearl, up Naito, or over the Broadway bridge after a game? The gridlock would last for hours.
I agree. The post office location went off the board 10 years ago. That site needs to be saved for something special with constant vibrancy and not a use that is both seasonal and only at certain times of day.

I wonder why Gateway hasn't more serious consideration. It would be a boon to that area and it's really well served by both transit and freeways.

The school district site is the best in my opinion. The school district offices can easily be moved to another location but their are few large centrally located sites that have only one owner (which also happens to be public) as well as freeway and transit access.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CUclimber View Post
50,000!?? The only team in MLB that pulls those crowds is the Yankees...and they're pushing it at around ~53,000 per game. Just for reference, the Mariners draw in 28,000 per game on average & we'd be lucky to match Seattle's attendance.

-When did Naito & Broadway become the only way out of the Pearl?
-How many people would stay after the game to grab a bite or just simply hang out?
-How many would take transit?
-How many live within walking distance (not to mention downtown hotel guests)?
-You would be looking at maybe 10,000 cars absolute max needing to vacate the area & that is a liberal guess IMHO.

I imagine after a game it would take 45 minutes for the bulk of traffic to exit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment