HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 22, 2007, 5:38 AM

I almost forgot another fairly important project although it is near completion would be the Nursing facility at EITC.

Just a side note, anyone seen the new condos on Hoopes? Those are nice looking buildings and I believe that there is definetly a market for condos in IF, so TC, where's those condos and rowhouses?

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 8:34 PM
Honored Member

Talking Different Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunB6 View Post
An interesting gathering (March 15th) at the Red Lion in Idaho Falls. As expected, a healthy turnout. Very impressive. But I couldn't help but feel the "listeners" were just checking off another box enroute to completion of this project. There are political entanglements, obstacles rather, to overcome, but of the 500 or 600 in attendance, a near majority were in favor. Sure there will be opposition, especially once the Statement of Environmental Impact is completed this summer.

Hereis the list of the competing sites/locations with their sponsoring organizations:

1. Atomic City (ID) EnergySolutions, LLC
2. Barnwell (SC) EnergySolutions, LLC
3. Hanford (WA) Tri-City Industrial Development Council/Columbia Basin Consulting Group
4. Hobbs (NM) Eddy Lea Energy Alliance
5. INL (ID) Regional Development Alliance
6. Morris (IL) General Electric Company
7. Oak Ridge National Laboratory (TN) Community Reuse Organization of East Tennessee
8. Paducah Gaseous Diffusion Plant (KY) Paducah Uranium Plant Asset Utilization, Inc.
9. Portsmouth Gaseous Diffusion Plant (OH) Piketon Initiative for Nuclear Independence, LLC
10. Roswell (NM) EnergySolutions, LLC
11. Savannah River National Laboratory (SC) Economic Development Partnership of Aiken and Edgefield Counties

There are two additional sites that were selected by DOE identified as possible locations for an advanced fuel cycle research facility, bringing the total to 13. FYI - EnergySoluntions is the former Salt Lake-based Envirocare.

Open comment continues through April 4. Impact statements due this summer.

And for the benefit of those readers who were not in attendance, nearly 100% of the comments were in favor of building one or all of the GNEP parts in the gem state. There was some opposition, they remained quiet, likely waiting for impact statements to be made public. No sense being run over by the proverbial business bus filled with 500 supporters. I would be interested in the thoughts of others in attendance.

This will also be a hot topic in presidential politics circles.
SunB6, Please see east Idaho's suggestion above about dividing this thread into true proposed, developing and current construction projects vs. proposed new huge growth, due to new companies like Hoku, Iogen and GNEP. I've proposed that perhaps the comments about GNEP and other energy-related developments, until construction starts - which will be it's own thread- might fit best under the GNEP in Idaho...... thread.

Please review and see what you think. If you agree, for reasons of continuinity, would you post what you've posted here in the GNEP discussion? I plan on doing that as well. It will all faster access to what they are looking for when visiting the thread.

Thanks

Old Posted Mar 23, 2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
IFGuy, ...and get the "riverwalk" going again.
Canal is on track. Within in the last couple weeks they started working on it and a 30" section has been completed and it looks HAWT! It is between the most recent building and the building to the west. They have some heavy equipment and 4-5 guys working hard on those retainer walls. If I remember right water flows April 15th, so they are pushing hard to get as much done as possible. IMO, water flowing next to a clean wall of earth toned paver blocks vs. the eroding mud and weed banks will be top notch. They are preparing beds for flowers and small shrubs between the walking path and the canal.

I'll get some pics.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2007, 6:57 AM
Honored Member

Question How Does This Connect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
Canal is on track. Within in the last couple weeks they started working on it and a 30" section has been completed and it looks HAWT! It is between the most recent building and the building to the west. They have some heavy equipment and 4-5 guys working hard on those retainer walls. If I remember right water flows April 15th, so they are pushing hard to get as much done as possible. IMO, water flowing next to a clean wall of earth toned paver blocks vs. the eroding mud and weed banks will be top notch. They are preparing beds for flowers and small shrubs between the walking path and the canal.

I'll get some pics.
Ok, what's with the new info this week I recently saw? Is McNeil working on a 21 story building as is suggested elsewhere? Do we know this is for Idaho Falls instead of Provo and their development there? I doubt a 21 story building would fit into the Hurricane development.

Could there have been a new design so no condos will be as units one story structures in TCOR? Rather, now there will be a 21 story condo tower? Or, is this in a different area such as the recently new PUD area?

TC Guy or someone else please confirm how many stories the Marriott Residence Inn will be? Will it be 6 or 13 stories tall, and positively, will it be south of Broadway? Or, is this the building that seems to keep getting "moved" from one site to another?

And, what about info on the 21 story building? Will this be located in Idaho Falls? The entire TCOR is getting more confusing!

All of this information may be great news; but let's have a Press Conference or announcement from both Walker Brothers. Please mention the 21 story building, about which apparently some sub-contractors have been meeting with the Walker Brothers lately. We need details of what this building will be and where. Not only can this influence others who may want to invest or build close by, for those looking at Condo living in downtown, this may be a huge piece of information about where other developments in Idaho Falls will be built

IT IS TIME FOR MCNEIL DEVELOPMENT TO HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE OR POST A WEBSITE THAT REMAINS "UP" AT ALL TIMES!.

Last edited by N2I.F.; Mar 25, 2007 at 9:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 5:51 AM
Honored Member

Post Center for Advanced Energy Studies Drawing

From INL.Gov Files

This is the best link to show some of the design of the Center for Advanced Energy Studies (CAES). Someone asked earlier to see drawings earlier. Maybe further down the road we can have some photos to show progress.

http://www.inl.gov/featurestories/2006-12-04.shtml

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 9:28 PM

More flights out of IF airport

Starting in July the IF Regional Airport will be a little busier now that Horizon Air will be offering a direct flight to Bozeman and same plane flights through Boise to San Jose and Portland. Also there will be a same plane flight from Bozeman to Seattle.

Source: KIFI Channel 8, Idaho Falls, ID.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2007, 11:50 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up No more 39 seaters; it's 70+ seats after 7/22 on Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
Starting in July the IF Regional Airport will be a little busier now that Horizon Air will be offering a direct flight to Bozeman and same plane flights through Boise to San Jose and Portland. Also there will be a same plane flight from Bozeman to Seattle.

Source: KIFI Channel 8, Idaho Falls, ID.
For me the significant news in this release is the increased number of seats/plane on every flight. They are almost doubling in seats. I believe the flights to and from Idaho Falls will be on Q-4s, identical to the planes flying to and from Boise and other larger markets. Another sign of growth.

Also, I think it's an interesting flight path to have Idaho Falls to Bozeman then directly to Seattle. Eliminates Spokane and other smaller airports where traditionally travelers have had to change to larger planes.

There is enough demand to fly the passengers from Idaho Falls and Bozeman directly to Seattle (and vice versa), which has been a goal of Horizon for several years. By landing in both Bozeman and Idaho Falls, tourists can decide if they want to focus simply on YNP or see the Tetons and Jackson Hole as well.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2007, 10:46 AM
Honored Member

Question Where is McNeil Putting Their Time and Money?

From the St. George Chamber of Commerce Letter, the following is on one of their major pages selling their area and what will be built in the St. George area.

"RETAIL & DEVELOPMENT OUTLOOK FOR NEIGHBORING CITIES

HURRICANE CITY

McNeil Development of Idaho Falls, Idaho has purchased approximately 2,300 acres in the Hurricane area and is currently beginning the project-planning phase. With a destination resort community and approximately 300 acres of commercial being planned, there will be many exciting business opportunities available in the future. They can be contacted at 1-208-524-3341 x13"

From reading different threads on SkyscrapePage.Com, I've known for a while that McNeil is developing projects in Provo and Hurricane as well as Idaho Falls. However, I think it helps to see solid information such as the above paragraph to comprehend that McNeil isn't just focus on Taylor's Crossing on the River (TCOR).

A lot of us are getting really frustrated with NO ANSWERS and a construction schedule so behind at TCOR. We haven't seen TC GUy posting here recently (and maybe he can't, per company policy), and we still haven't seen dirt dug for the Marriott Residence Inn.

Now the rumors are really increasing about whether or not McNeil intends to finish TCOR, or if buildings or land are be sold to finance other projects.

We hear that the 13 story Marrott Residence Inn and Condos is still going in the same south of Broadway location, given the equipment by Smitty's. But, when will dirt be dug and what proof do we have that announcement is actually going to happen? We also here othe locations have been discussed for the 13 story building. And most recenty we hear that McNeil has a 21 story building being planned. Yet, we don't know for what city or development. How about telling us what type of building and or which development?

I'll say this one more time: It is TIME for McNeil and BOTH WALKER BROTHERS to hold a press conference and answer questions. Tell us what McNeil is still going to finish, if anything, and what won't be done. Other investors apparently are very interested in some of their land for other hotels.

If the focus has changed mostly to St. George area, I believe McNeil owes local Idaho Falls citizens that information. Look at Snake River Landing (SRL) - Ball Ventures is making very steady progress redeveloping this area. Many believe that SRL will be more upscale than TCOR. And at the rate it is being built, it will probably be completed before TCOR.

McNeil Development, it is time for answers!

Last edited by N2I.F.; Apr 2, 2007 at 9:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 6:10 PM
100 days to economic ruin

Idaho Census Numbers

Didn't realize that the IF metro was that far ahead of Pocatello metro:

Idaho
2000 2006
Boise 464,840 567,640 22.1%

Coeur d'Alene 108,685 131,507 21.0%

Idaho Falls 101,677 116,980 15.1%

Twin Falls 82,626 91,705 11.0%

Pocatello 83,103 86,357 3.9%

PS, IFguy your estimates were pretty close.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2007, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmilingBob View Post
Didn't realize that the IF metro was that far ahead of Pocatello metro:

Idaho
2000 2006
Boise 464,840 567,640 22.1%

Coeur d'Alene 108,685 131,507 21.0%

Idaho Falls 101,677 116,980 15.1%

Twin Falls 82,626 91,705 11.0%

Pocatello 83,103 86,357 3.9%

PS, IFguy your estimates were pretty close.
Smiling Bob- Thanks man, after there was a little tiff about anothers estimates I decided to do some detailed investigation and that is what I came up with. I am still not 100% sure on IF's legal metro boundary as I have heard it contains Jefferson County, which makes sense, and Bingham County, whereas only the northern portion makes sense. If you include Shelley and those surrounding areas I think it would give mabye 5000 more to the metro.

As far as 2007 estimates, depending on what comes to be this year as far as developments of Snake River Landing and Taylor Crossing (condos), I would probably venture into the 120 K range and IF around 56K. After all these are US Census numbers and who really knows how accurate they are.

One thing is for sure as you pointed out though, Pocatello is really starting to lag behind, even Twin Falls has overtaken them. The only bright spot for Poky is the addition of Hoku, while everything else seems to be in a downturn right now while IF continues to grow and prosper. Funny to think that not too long ago, it was thought that Poky would be the next big city in Idaho, now it looks like CDA and IF are both going to make that leap long before Poky.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:08 PM

They took the Hilton crane down yesterday. Sorry no pics. I was surprised they used such a large crane for a 4-story wood structure.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:33 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Smiling Bob- Thanks man, after there was a little tiff about anothers estimates I decided to do some detailed investigation and that is what I came up with. I am still not 100% sure on IF's legal metro boundary as I have heard it contains Jefferson County, which makes sense, and Bingham County, whereas only the northern portion makes sense. If you include Shelley and those surrounding areas I think it would give mabye 5000 more to the metro.

As far as 2007 estimates, depending on what comes to be this year as far as developments of Snake River Landing and Taylor Crossing (condos), I would probably venture into the 120 K range and IF around 56K. After all these are US Census numbers and who really knows how accurate they are.

One thing is for sure as you pointed out though, Pocatello is really starting to lag behind, even Twin Falls has overtaken them. The only bright spot for Poky is the addition of Hoku, while everything else seems to be in a downturn right now while IF continues to grow and prosper. Funny to think that not too long ago, it was thought that Poky would be the next big city in Idaho, now it looks like CDA and IF are both going to make that leap long before Poky.

To answer your question, the IF metro encompasses two counties: Bonneville (94,630 in 2006) and Jefferson (22,350 in 2006), giving the IF metro a population of 116,980.

IF is ALSO part of Idaho's only combined statistical area, which entails the IF metro and the Blackfoot micropolitan area (all of Bingham county=44,051 in 2006), so you might also see the number 161,031, which is the population of the IF-Blackfoot CSA (Bonneville, Jefferson & Bingham counties).
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Apr 6, 2007, 5:37 PM
World Traveler

Thought you IF guys would like to know, IF was the 44th fastest growing metro area (in terms of % growth) from 2000-2006 in the NATION!
http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/...on/009865.html

Old Posted Apr 7, 2007, 4:19 AM

I would really consider Madison and Teton counties apart of the metro of Idaho Falls.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2007, 4:06 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up I.F. Growth is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFtowner View Post
I would really consider Madison and Teton counties apart of the metro of Idaho Falls.

IFtowner, I agree with you when it comes to retail trade. I think northern Bingham County should be included as well. The now 5 miles between Shelley and Idaho Falls are an easy commute for many workers. It's hard to count how many live in rural Bingham County north of Firth. But, my bet is the majority depend on Idaho Falls far more than Blackfoot for goods and services, let alone employment.

But, those who keep the records aren't going to change their methods now. I think the important point is to make sure any future commercial or residential developments look at local websites that take into account the "service area" of ~ 300K. That covers Jackson and north to the Montana border.

Hopefully, that will help explain why some big companies are looking at Idaho Falls to open another store or branch of an existing business, given the retail trade and hubs to medical and other services for the ~300,000 people.

Anyway, it's good to see the I.F. metro growth be above 3.0%. These recent stats prove what many of us have known. Growth is NOT equal in eastern ID and there are very solid reasons of why certain cities are growing faster than others.

And, I'm encouraged to see two Boise based businesses open up offices in Idaho Falls in the last month.

It's my understanding that Gov. Otter made a pledge to put a f/t "liason" for the east side of the state as well as the panhandle. I've talked with the man who is relocating to Idaho Falls, from Sacramento, to fill that position in Idaho Falls. Regardless of what one thinks about Gov. Otter, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time the Panhandle and eastern ID have been recognized this officially from a Gov. Maybe he doesn't want the state to sub-divide into 3 smaller ones.

I see all of this news as very good for Idaho Falls, which some say will be the dominant city in eastern ID.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 1:16 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
It's my understanding that Gov. Otter made a pledge to put a f/t "liason" for the east side of the state as well as the panhandle. I've talked with the man who is relocating to Idaho Falls, from Sacramento, to fill that position in Idaho Falls. Regardless of what one thinks about Gov. Otter, to the best of my knowledge, this is the first time the Panhandle and eastern ID have been recognized this officially from a Gov. Maybe he doesn't want the state to sub-divide into 3 smaller ones.

I see all of this news as very good for Idaho Falls, which some say will be the dominant city in eastern ID.
The offices were proposed by former Governor Risch last summer during his short term in office. I figured that someone might want to know where the IF office is located/going to be located so I went to the Governor's homepage and found the press release announcing the opening of the Cd'A office last June. I couldn't find any information on the Idaho Falls office except for a brief mention in the press release stating that the IF office would be opened "in the near future."
http://gov.idaho.gov/mediacenter/pre...06/pr_060.html
When Governor Otter submitted his budget proposal to the legislature a few months ago, he included money to be appropriated for each of the branch offices.

I love the Boise area, but it's good to see that other areas of the state (still where over 60% of the state's population resides...) are not ignored. Although I'm usually not on the same page as Gov. Otter on many issues, I used to intern for him when he was in Congress and I know that although he is from the Boise area he is intelligent enough to court and build his constituency in the rest of the state, especially in Eastern Idaho where he has polled poorly in the past...

Last edited by jimthemanincda; Apr 11, 2007 at 1:22 AM.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2007, 6:06 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Not Sure of the Rep's Name

jimthemanincda wrote, "The offices were proposed by former Governor Risch last summer during his short term in office. I figured that someone might want to know where the IF office is located/going to be located so I went to the Governor's homepage and found the press release announcing the opening of the Cd'A office last June. I couldn't find any information on the Idaho Falls office except for a brief mention in the press release stating that the IF office would be opened "in the near future."
http://gov.idaho.gov/mediacenter/pre...06/pr_060.html
When Governor Otter submitted his budget proposal to the legislature a few months ago, he included money to be appropriated for each of the branch offices."

I love the Boise area, but it's good to see that other areas of the state (still where over 60% of the state's population resides...) are not ignored. Although I'm usually not on the same page as Gov. Otter on many issues, I used to intern for him when he was in Congress and I know that although he is from the Boise area he is intelligent enough to court and build his constituency in the rest of the state, especially in Eastern Idaho where he has polled poorly in the past...

jimthemanincda, Thanks for your post. You'd think I would know the man's name who is moving to Idaho Falls, but his never-ending questions about everything never left me a chance to ask his name. I have talked with some media about it and they are researching this further. When we know who our eastern rep, for the Gov is, then I'll post the eastern it here.

I, too, have trouble with a lot of Butch's ideas. Can't believe he said what he did while in congress! I've had former ID Governors in my home and have seen their strengths and weaknesses. Nonetheless, Butch is still a stretch for me, in a lot of ways.

All that being said, I appreciate the fact that he acknolwedges there is intelligent life outside of the TV and Idaho has a lot to offer in many areas throughout the state. He seems to be working, perhaps with the goal of bringing the state closer together, so the folks in the Panhandle and those in eastern ID feel like they have more in common. I like that.

While I don't know this for sure, I wonder if sometimes in the past, former govs. have focused so much on the Treasure Valley, given the growth and accompanying benefits and problems, that it became natural for eastern ID to idenitify with UT and the Panhandle to identify either with WA or OR as not as much attention was given to those two geographical area? I know we are a stretched out state with awesome beauty in almost every county. I believe I read Idaho is the 13th largest state (physically).

You are right that many people in eastern ID had a lot of difficulty accepting some of Otter's views. I honestly thought many eastern ID counties would vote for Brady simply because Brady wouldn't forget the east side of the state and he had been more consistant on some things Butch had to take a "crash course" on to fit in on the east side.

So kuddos to Gov. Otter for first keeping a campaign promise and secondly, realizing he MUST keep in touch with residents outside of the TV as well as those who live locally. This will help unite ID, and ultimately could be a real financial benefit to many.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2007, 11:55 PM
Honored Member

Lightbulb Can T.C. File for a Marriott and Build Another Hotel?

Since we still haven't had our TC Guy visit to update us about the current set of facts regarding Taylor's Crossing on the River (TCOR)proposed 13 story combined Marriott Residence Inn/condos, I want to ask a couple of different questions.

First, has anyone heard or seen anything permanent this week about the proposed 13 story MRI/Condo project? As one person told me, you'd think they would be doing prep work. Maybe they have, but I sure haven't seen it. Have you?

Secondly, can McNeil submit plans to P and Z for this structure as a Marriott Residence Inn and if there are no design changes, if another hotel chain develops this property instead of Marriott, would McNeil have to submit new plans for a different "name brand" hotel? I hope my question is clear.

For example, let's just say one of the larger chains was looking to open their first hotel in Idaho Falls and learned this site/hotel MAY be available to their brand name, if they required no structural, electrical, plumbing etc. changes, what type of plans would McNeil have to file with the various city departments? I've been told more than once, by different well-placed sources, that the MRI/condos isn't in stone yet. There stilll appears that perhaps a hotel other than Marriott might be at this off-Broadway location.

Finally, what, if anything have you heard about the tallest hotel going in at SRL instead of TCOR? I wonder if Marriott is literally moving south of Pancheri?

Any answers are encouraged and would be appreciated.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 12:45 AM

Well I still haven't seen anything that resembles prep work at the off Broadway hotel site, so my guess is that anything could happen. I still feel that when SRL began it's planning that Marriott may have gotten cold feet and decided to look at other options. I still think that the off Broadway location will be developed but I don't know what or who will end up doing so.

I have been reading up on the Ryder Park project south of the Sunnyside interchange and next to the river though, and it seems that it will be a "huge" project. Bike paths, extended greenbelt, trees, wildlife, open grass areas, and a boat dock are just some of the things planned. It sounds like the city of IF and the BLM are partnering to get this thing going as it fits into both entities master plans. When I first heard of it I thought of maybe an open grassy area the likes of North Tourist Park, but it sounds like it will turn into a regional park with 60+ acres dedicated to overnight camping and "urban fishing".

It would be really nice to get the new state park rolling as well as I can really see the whole Snake River Corridor turning into one giant greenbelt with parks and campgrounds along the way. That would make for a nice weekend biking trip.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 4:53 AM
Honored Member

Thumbs up Ryder Park

Quote:
Well I still haven't seen anything that resembles prep work at the off Broadway hotel site, so my guess is that anything could happen. I still feel that when SRL began it's planning that Marriott may have gotten cold feet and decided to look at other options. I still think that the off Broadway location will be developed but I don't know what or who will end up doing so.

I have been reading up on the Ryder Park project south of the Sunnyside interchange and next to the river though, and it seems that it will be a "huge" project. Bike paths, extended greenbelt, trees, wildlife, open grass areas, and a boat dock are just some of the things planned. It sounds like the city of IF and the BLM are partnering to get this thing going as it fits into both entities master plans. When I first heard of it I thought of maybe an open grassy area the likes of North Tourist Park, but it sounds like it will turn into a regional park with 60+ acres dedicated to overnight camping and "urban fishing".

It would be really nice to get the new state park rolling as well as I can really see the whole Snake River Corridor turning into one giant greenbelt with parks and campgrounds along the way. That would make for a nice weekend biking trip.
IFguy, Is that the southeast corner you are talking about - Ryder Park? Isn't Crossroads Regional Shopping Center going to develop on the west side of Sunnyside, on both the north and south sides? I think the north will be first with the outlet mall and a few other stores. That would leave the northwest corner for the huge Teton Toyota dealership, correct?

Is Ryder Park a sub-section of Snake River Landing or adjacent to it? I don't know how P and Z are keeping up with their work load right now!

BTW - has anyone heard anything else about Land Rover?

Could be very busy at Sunnyside exit this summer with all the construction equipment. Didn't eastIdaho tell us a new McDonald's was going in too?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West