HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 9:32 PM

I have such mixed feelings about this project. On the one hand, it looks like a very nice tower, and I'm always excited to see these things rise. On the other hand, it means demolishing the Hotel Pennsylvania, and more importantly, it will drastically alter the NY skyline.

Currently, from most view points south of midtown, the ESB stands tall and proudly at the front of the nest of skyscrapers that make up midtown. The west side construction will certainly alter that from some views, but still, when you look up from the village, you'll see the ESB. This building is so close and more importantly, further south from the ESB. Not only will it block views, it I believe, may be the catalyst for supertalls to begin the sprout further south.

Whilst I understand the march of progress must go on, I think it's a significant pivotal moment when the ESB begins to be swallowed up by the rising skyline.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
I have such mixed feelings about this project. On the one hand, it looks like a very nice tower, and I'm always excited to see these things rise. On the other hand, it means demolishing the Hotel Pennsylvania, and more importantly, it will drastically alter the NY skyline.

Currently, from most view points south of midtown, the ESB stands tall and proudly at the front of the nest of skyscrapers that make up midtown. The west side construction will certainly alter that from some views, but still, when you look up from the village, you'll see the ESB. This building is so close and more importantly, further south from the ESB. Not only will it block views, it I believe, may be the catalyst for supertalls to begin the sprout further south.

Whilst I understand the march of progress must go on, I think it's a significant pivotal moment when the ESB begins to be swallowed up by the rising skyline.
They knocked down McKim Meade and White's glorious train station for a toilet bowl over a cavern and let their hotel rot away until no one would recognize what we lost. Now we get a generic and bloated Pelli.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:28 PM
BANNED

Yea its in pretty rough shape at the moment. It has certainly lost its appeal with all those grime stained facade/walls....

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:38 PM

I think this building looks pretty nice and I am happy that it would be close to the ESB and about the same height. It seems like people are worried about other buildings being taller than the ESB and being in its vicinity, but that should be seen as a good thing. The Woolworth building is not the tallest in its area, but it is still really beautiful. I think that the empire state building should be transformed into that sort of building.
On the Penn Hotel, is there any possibility that this tower could be built over the Penn so that it is preserved? Even though the Penn is in pretty rough shape, there should be a good effort to preserve at least part of it.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
It's the loss of the Hotel Penn that saddens me. There is something beautiful about this building that deserves care and attention, not demolition.
I do like the look of the proposed office tower, but wish it were located at a slightly different block.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:00 AM

@drumz0rz;

In terms of "drastic" alteration to the Midtown skyline, 432P did that once and forever...and to mostly rave reviews.
From certain angles, I really don't think this tower's gonna muscle in on ESB's personal space as much as has been feared.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 1:11 AM
New Yorker for life

I walk by this building quite often, and I have to tell you, the sooner they remove this thing, the better. The neighborhood will only transform when a building of 15 Penn's caliber rises. As it is now, it's a dreary passageway to/from Penn Station to points east. Vornado needs to make up its mind on what it plans to do, and move on it.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 6:48 AM
New Yorker for life

15 Penn Plaza and 1 Vanderbilt are really twin developments in different locations of Manhattan.

Both stand over and beside busy transit terminals, and will gain a bulk of their mass from transit improvements.

Both are locations that would suggests a dense core of skyscrapers, yet only one does. The transformation of the Penn Station are is long overdue.

www.cityrealty.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:32 PM

[QUOTE=NYguy;6800991]15 Penn Plaza and 1 Vanderbilt are really twin developments in different locations of Manhattan.

Both stand over and beside busy transit terminals, and will gain a bulk of their mass from transit improvements.

Both are locations that would suggests a dense core of skyscrapers, yet only one does. The transformation of the Penn Station are is long overdue.

1 Vanderbilt is just one building. Isn't midtown-east being rezoned? Couldn't this yield even more construction around Grand Central, ie-a dense core of skyscrapers?

Also, based H3 Hardy's presentation at MAS2014 the only transformation besides 15Penn to take place for Penn Station is a measley remodeling of MSG. What has become of the major skyline changes their website implies?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorker View Post

Also, based H3 Hardy's presentation at MAS2014 the only transformation besides 15Penn to take place for Penn Station is a measley remodeling of MSG. What has become of the major skyline changes their website implies?
There will be far greater changes around Penn than around Grand Central in the coming years. The MSG site alone has 6 million square feet of space. Then there's Manhattan West, the post office air rights, and all the Vornado holdings in the area.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:09 AM
BANNED

Are there more possibilities of more supertalls in the midtown east rezoning area?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Are there more possibilities of more supertalls in the midtown east rezoning area?

In short, yes.... if de Blasio gets his way.

I would say more, but this forum is for 15 Penn.
Here's a link with some info:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...1557498&page=5

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 5:29 PM
BANNED

Thank you for the link! I see that SSC has extensive coverage of East Midtown Rezoning and MSG replacement, while SSP is severally lacking in any info.

Last edited by Perklol; Dec 6, 2014 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 4:37 AM

Preservation vs Recreation

Here's a head scratcher 4 me. Developers want to tear down MSG to make a new "old" Penn Station yet in the same area developers want to tear down Hotel Penn WHICH WAS BUILT FOR the long gone old "old" Penn Station! At least preserve the walls of Hotel Penn 2 serve as a base for 15 Penn Plaza. At least the outer walls of Hotel Penn r worth preserving.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2014, 6:56 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

I would love to see one or more of the light wells filled with cores for an office tower to be cantilevered over the top of the hotel.

The reality though is that the hotel was a pale imitation of the Penn station design.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete8680 View Post
Here's a head scratcher 4 me. Developers want to tear down MSG to make a new "old" Penn Station yet in the same area developers want to tear down Hotel Penn WHICH WAS BUILT FOR the long gone old "old" Penn Station! At least preserve the walls of Hotel Penn 2 serve as a base for 15 Penn Plaza. At least the outer walls of Hotel Penn r worth preserving.
I respectfully disagree. The hotel is a dreadful building whose absence can only help to finally transform the area into something better. I have passed it for decades hoping for its demise. So close. It has to happen!

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 4:58 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

This is a fantastic opportunity for Class-A space. Hopefully some tenants could be signed. Probably the best location in the city for an office tower to be. Right near Penn.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2014, 5:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
This is a fantastic opportunity for Class-A space. Hopefully some tenants could be signed. Probably the best location in the city for an office tower to be. Right near Penn.
I agree, this building has seen better days..

Hopefully, future tenants in the office tower are considerate to fellow New Yorkers/commuters. It's awful when the whole street is blocked by tourists every single day....

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 2:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete8680 View Post

It's not much of a head scratcher. The hotel and station was built in a different era of travel. While Penn Station still serves inter-city travel on Amtraks busies Northeast Corridor link, it is a hub of commuter travel. Witness Grand Central Terminal, which stopped Amtrak service years ago. It is a vital link into the city, and at the heart of the city's commercial district. The plan to redevelop the west side is to allow for the creation and expansion of the city's business district. What's further, the current Penn Station is a cramped basement, vastly overpopulated beyond capacity, and in desperate need of an overhaul. It has nothing to do with hotel space.

Meanwhile, Vornado continues to make moves toward its ultimate goal.

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...-11-penn-plaza

AMC Networks grows at 11 Penn Plaza
The cable channel known for hit shows 'Breaking Bad' and 'The Walking Dead' will occupy a total of 330,000 square feet
at the 1.1 million-square-foot office building across the street from Penn Station.

BY DANIEL GEIGER
DECEMBER 24, 2014

Quote:
Another huge office tenant has planted its flag in the neighborhood surrounding Penn Station.

AMC Networks has renewed and expanded its lease at 11 Penn Plaza, the 23-story, 1.1 million-square-foot office building across the street from Penn Station, the nation’s busiest transit hub.

The cable network, which became one of the most popular in recent years by airing hit shows like Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Walking Dead, is taking a total of 330,000 square feet. AMC has been in the building for over a decade, when it was still a subsidiary of Cablevision. It was spun off into its own company by Cablevision in 2011

AMC, which owns other television properties like IFC and SundanceTV, is growing by about 40,000 square feet at 11 Penn Plaza. Asking rents at the tower are in the $60s per square foot.

The deal is one of several large leasing transactions completed recently by major tenants at 11 Penn Plaza and in the surrounding area. Last year, department store giant Macy’s renewed its roughly 650,000-square-foot lease at 11 Penn Plaza. Last month, Vornado Realty Trust, the huge Manhattan landlord that owns the property, also signed a 470,000-square-foot lease with online retail giant Amazon at a building it owns nearby, at 7 W. 34th St.

Vornado is the largest landlord in the Penn Plaza district, with almost a dozen properties in the area. Although the neighborhood is at the northern edge of midtown south, the city’s most popular office district, and surrounds the city's busiest transit hub, it has lagged other midtown south neighborhoods, like the Flatiron district and Chelsea, in popularity.

The recent commitments from major tenants, however, is a sign of that beginning to change, and that Vornado’s years-long plan to help transition the neighborhood into a more coveted office district is finally gathering steam.

Mary Ann Tighe, the New York CEO of CBRE Group, and Gregory Tosko, a broker at the firm, led a team that represented AMC in the deal. Glen Weiss, a Vornado executive who oversees leasing for the company's huge Manhattan portfolio, represented the firm in-house.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 2:56 PM

Vornado getting the pot stirring in anticipation for a bigger goal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals