HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 6:04 PM

^ I think they are talking about this rail project being an alternative to the costly and underfunded bypass just like WES was a cheaper alternative to expanding 217, and in that case they might be able to appropriate any funds from the State and Feds for this instead... Depending on your views of the bypass, this may be a win-win for you... or a total loss. I personally think killing that highway monstrosity through this beautiful part of the valley for a more sustainable, reuse of an existing rail line is good for all Oregonians in the long term.

Quick 5 minute visualization:

purple is the proposed line from Newberg to SoWa, orange is the alternative to follow WES to Tigard or Beaverton, yellow are planned commuter rail extensions to Grand Ronde and Salem (WES), and the green is a potential alternative to Milwaukee instead of SoWa.

Last edited by NJD; Apr 9, 2008 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2008, 6:06 PM

April 9, 2008
Street fair marks completion of major light rail construction along NW 6th Ave
The Next Big Thing Downtown event May 1st

On Thursday, May 1st TriMet will celebrate completion of major light rail construction on 6th Avenue in Old Town/Chinatown. The 6th Avenue Street Fair event features live music, art gallery shows, a farmers market and a skateboarding jam.
6th Ave Street Fair
Thursday, May 1st 5-9 p.m.

* Pedi-cabs will provide free rides up and down 6th Avenue between NW Burnside and Hoyt streets
* Portland Classical Chinese Garden is free during fair hours
* Artist Dane Wilson’s work at the Rake Art Gallery; Artists Ted Katz and Dorothy Goode’s work at Butters Gallery
* A farmers market will be located near the Greyhound Station
* A skateboarding jam in front of Cal Skate

Cover charges apply to the following club shows:

* Punk Rock show at Club Satyricon starting at 6 p.m.
* Susannah Mars and Tom Grant will perform at Wilf’s starting at 7:30 p.m.
* Comedian Jeff Burghart will perform at 8 p.m. at Harvey’s Comedy Club

The street fair is the second in a series of The Next Big Thing Downtown events. Each event will celebrate completion of major construction of different segments of the Portland Mall Light Rail project, set to open in Sept. 2009. The Mall project is more than 50 percent complete; heavy civil construction is 78 percent complete.
About the project

TriMet's fifth MAX line will add light rail to 5th and 6th avenues in downtown Portland between Union Station and Portland State University (PSU), and between Gateway Transit Center and Clackamas Town Center. It is the first light rail extension into Clackamas County, it will serve the heart of downtown Portland and the busiest transit destination in the TriMet system - PSU. When it opens in September 2009, it will help revitalize the Mall and poise the region for future rail extensions.
http://trimet.org/news/releases/apr9_maystreetfair.htm

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 6:02 PM
Bears of antiquity

I want to take this time to ask all of you what you think of the incompatability of the Type 4 cars with the others-- that is to say, what do you think of the fact that there will be no combining of Type 4s with Type 3s and Type 2s. Is this the reality or are they able to connect them and just don't want to?

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 6:10 PM

I prefer they don't, as it will look funny. I don't like it when they combine the current fleet, and they're more similar in design than the type 4 cars.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 8:53 PM
zzzzzzzz

the table in this pdf seems to indicate that they can't be coupled with the type 2s and 3s.
http://portlandmall.org/documents/newmaxtrains.pdf

I don't know for sure, but it seems plausible. I don't think trimet would say "we're not going to couple type 4s with anything else just because it looks funny." The design of the cars is significantly different and maybe the coupling unit is incompatible (at a different height or something). I agree with rsbear - I think it would look pretty odd to see one of the type 4s coupled with an older model. The type 1 coupled with the 2 or 3 doesn't bother me, though. They're all boxy and somewhat similar in shape. And, of course, they can't couple two type 1s anymore since they're not low floor. Did I use the word "couple" enough?

I also noticed in the type 4 fact sheet that it said only one end of the car will have an operator cab. So they probably won't be running the type 4s as single cars because they'd have to go to a yard to turn it around.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2008, 10:07 PM

Meeting about Vancouver MAX line gets testy

That link also includes a video news story (KATU) from the meeting as well. Listen to the fool commenting about how light rail is a failure. I kind of hate that man...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 5:11 AM
Vancouver Moderator

I can't believe people are just so aragant and narrow minded. *SMACKS ON FACE*

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 5:54 PM

LOL, I love the fact that someone points out that light rail isn't "self-supporting". Well, since the Eisenhower administration, exactly how many tens of billions of dollars in federal subsidies have been poured into the interstate system? Give me a break.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 7:39 PM

Since that guy drives, it's okay to use general funds for road purposes. Duh.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 3:41 AM

Kulongoski previews ‘green’ transportation plan
Governor says his package for the 2009 legislature will be most environmentally sensitive in Oregon history
By Toby Van Fleet
The Portland Tribune, Apr 11, 2008

Oregon Gov. Ted Kulongoski promised Friday that his next transportation budget would balance mobility needs with growing concern over climate change.

Speaking at a luncheon put on by the Oregon Environmental Council, Kulongoski’s red tie stood out in the drab, windowless room at the Oregon Convention Center, where 225 public officials, business owners and environmental advocates munched quietly at full attention.

To many, transportation is a cause – not solution – to global warming. Even Kulongoski admitted that it will be a major challenge to improve the state’s transportation infrastructure while at the same time reducing greenhouse-gas emissions, especially as the region’s population continues and the demands of a global economy continue to increase.
Energy security

But, Kulongoski said, transportation and climate change are not conflicting policy issues. He aims to prove that next year when he will present a transportation package to the Oregon Legislature that he said will be the largest, greenest and most strategic in Oregon history.

Kulongoski said the goal of the package will be to develop a transportation system that will provide energy security, and that serves people and businesses without sacrificing the environment.

He explained it will encompass four areas: a low-carbon fuel standard; car technology improvements; reducing the amount that people drive (commonly referred to as vehicles mile traveled); and improving overall efficiency of the state’s transportation system.

Both California and British Columbia have passed low-carbon fuel standards, which mandate fuels that yield less greenhouse-gas emissions, not just when burned but also when produced. If Washington and Oregon follow suit, Kulongoski said, the fuel supply for the entire West Coast could be standardized for the mandate.
Congestion pricing

Kulongoski also wants consumers to have more choices when it comes to hybrid and plug-in car technology, as well as alternative fuels, but, he added, the state needs to encourage people to drive less, too. To that end, he supports extending tax credits for telecommuting, carpooling, biking and public transportation.

And Kulongoski broached the touchy subject of congestion pricing, which would work in the form of tolls that would be based on time and location.

Driving at peak hours in certain locations would cost the most. While such tolls could work to cut down on driving, the governor was not clear about whether he would push for it.

But, Kulongoski said, to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions in the state, many approaches would need to work simultaneously. Left unchecked, he said, higher temperatures, stronger storms, and flooding that could result from global warming will cost the state millions of dollars in damage to the state’s farms, forests and fisheries.

The governor did not directly address the status of the Columbia River Crossing, the project to improve or replace the Interstate 5 bridge between Oregon and Washington.

The event also included a panel discussion that touched on subjects ranging from talk about rail improvements in Southwest Oregon from Oregon state Rep. Arnie Roblan (D-Coos Bay) to lessons on transportation from Washington state Rep. David Upthegrove (D-South King County, Wash.).

Major sponsors for the event included Metro regional government, the Port of Portland, NW Natural Gas, Pacific Power and the Energy Trust of Oregon.

tobyvanfleet@portlandtribune.com
http://www.portlandtribune.com/news/...96353240954000

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 6:54 AM
Submarine de Nucléar

land-use! hello??? land-use!

bikes! buses! lightrail!

not just cars.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2008, 2:19 AM

6th and Oak:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 3:52 PM

No parking necessary for Sunday Parkways

The city plans to close six-miles of North Portland roads in June, inspired by the Ciclovia movement popular in countries such as Columbia
Daily Journal of Commerce
POSTED: 06:00 AM PDT Tuesday, April 15, 2008
BY TYLER GRAF

Portland may not welcome comparisons to Columbia in most categories, but for matters of raising awareness about cycling, it does.

On June 22, the Portland Office of Transportation is planning a pilot program called Sunday Parkways, which will close a six-mile stretch of road that will connect the Overlook and Humboldt neighborhoods in North Portland, effectively opening the route solely to bicycle and foot traffic. The program is similar to a 20-year-old event in Bogota, Columbia, which closes portions of its streets to car traffic, while opening them to pedestrians, food stands and community events.

The one-day local event is part of PDOT’s international search for transportation programs that might also work in Portland, said Linda Ginenthal, a transportation manager with PDOT. Along that line, the Sunday Parkways program will take place on the heels of an international conference about alternative transportation issues that will be held in Portland from June 16-22.

“We look all around the world to find new ideas,” Ginenthal said. “And because we are so innovative (in Portland), people have looked up to us.”

The Sunday Parkways program stems from a worldwide movement called “Ciclovia” – a day-long spurning of the automobile. In foreign environs such as Bogota; Guadalajara, Mexico; and Australia, Ciclovia events have become commonplace and are typically marked by a carnival-like atmosphere of food stands, live music and dance lessons. In Bogota it’s the rumba; in Portland it will be the tango.

In the United States, a similar program has been closing streets in El Paso, Texas, for the last couple years. But Rich Cassidy, a transportation manager with PDOT, says the El Paso program has had lower-than-desired turnout due to a hilly environment.

The Portland route, Ginenthal says, will not make the same mistake.

“If we’re asking people to drag the bike they haven’t used in 10 to 15 years out of storage, then you want to start with a flat surface,” she said.

Turnout at the event will determine whether the program is repeated in the future. The pilot program’s planners within PDOT hope the concept catches on, so they can make it a regular occurrence. Early plans call for a once-a-month, May-to-September Sunday Parkways event.

“We’re hoping for (7,000) to 10,000 people to participate, ideally,” Cassidy said.

In Bogota, however, participation estimates claim that 2 million people take to the more than 60 miles of carless streets.

Similar to the world-wide programs, PDOT plans for Sunday Parkways to be a community event. It will feature a farmers’ market, yoga for seniors, dance lessons, choirs and jump rope exhibitions.

Still, the main purpose is to create awareness of alternative modes of transportation and to convince people to ride or walk in their communities. During the first week of April, the Environmental Protection Agency announced it had awarded a grant for the program worth $87,000. The EPA awarded the grant because one of the program’s goals is to decrease carbon emissions.

In order to receive the grant, PDOT partnered with the Lane Regional Air Protection Agency because federal money has to flow through an air quality district. The Department of Environmental Quality, the first choice, declined to partner on the program.

“We’ve gotten a lot of people to use alternative transportation,” Ginenthal said, “so now we have to look in a new direction.”
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...tland-roads-in

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 4:22 PM

Its spelled Colombia, and they pretty much close down the main road there every Sunday morn for bikers.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 5:23 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

spelling aside, this is awesome news. I wonder which street they will close?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2008, 8:28 PM

Overlook to Humboldt...my guess is Skidmore?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 3:46 AM
zzzzzzzz

Here's a link to a DJC article on WES. I didn't post the article because there's not much new info, but it does say that the DMUs will be delivered in June.
http://www.djcoregon.com/articleDeta...eros-Construct

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD View Post
Rail study focuses on 3 options

- Diesel light-rail service from Newberg through Sherwood and Tualatin to Lake Oswego, and then along the Willamette Trolley right-of-way to the North Macadam area of Portland. Rough cost estimate: $98 million.

- Rail service from Newberg to Tigard, where passengers could transfer to a Tri-Met bus or a MAX train. Rough cost estimate: $59 million.[/B]
Help me on this as I'm confused. Does this study represent current conditions? How can one transfer to a MAX train in Tigard?

In addition, from what I understand these alternatives are using existing track. If that is the case then I'm assuming row already exists through Lake O. Imagine the outcry if that isn't the case. The rail workers would be surrounded by mobs in their Lexus SUVs hurling double nonfat lattes.

Lastly, if diesel lightrail is used, would it terminate in Sowa w/transfers to the streetcar?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 1:37 AM
zzzzzzzz

Others might be able to answer this with more certainty, but here's my take on it...

I think they meant that you could transfer to a WES train in Tigard. There is a possible MAX route to Tigard along Barbur/I-5 that is discussed in the Regional Transportation Plan, but my feeling is that it's a way off, since I don't think actual planning or studies for that have even started.

There is existing track through LO. I don't know who owns the right of way for that, but it is there. The RTP shows a potential commuter rail route on this corridor, crossing the Willamette in the LO area and using the existing tracks along McLoughlin Blvd to downtown. The article posted above mentions using the Willamette Shore Trolley ROW, which is also under consideration for a streetcar extension to LO. I don't think they can run both deisel trains and electric on the same track, so it's probably one or the other and wouldn't be both.

If they used diesel commuter rail to sowa, I don't think there's any chance that they'd build new track into downtown anytime in the near future. I serioulsly doubt that commuter rail-type ridership numbers could support that type of investment. So, yeah, they would probably stop it at sowa and have a transfer to the streetcar.

Last edited by Sekkle; Apr 19, 2008 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2008, 6:28 AM
Vancouver Moderator

The trains look a little shot for the long frequency. They look great though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Transportation & Infrastructure