HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 8, 2014, 1:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
I really like this, especially the treatment of the old 1920s building and the redevelopment of the parking lot. My cousin worked there for about 30 years and I'd occasionally walk down and meet her for lunch. It has long been a bit grim but a few projects like this could bring south downtown back in a big way.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2014, 3:51 PM

Quote:
this is indeed just the type of development south downtown needs.. now if we can just get three more just like it to fill in all the parking lots surrounding it to the south and southeast around garnet station

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 10:28 PM

Permits Filed for 860 Glenwood

This is apparently the residential component of Fuqua Glenwood project that will include either a Walmart or a Walmart-sized Kroger.

Quote:
Summit Engineering Consultants, Inc. has submitted a Special Administrative Permit (SAP) for the development of a five story apartment complex with approximately 217 units.

http://www.sandatlanta.org/Files/SAN...Elevations.pdf

Alexan Glenwood (Glenwood Elevation)

Old Posted Oct 14, 2014, 11:32 PM

Quote:
This is apparently the residential component of Fuqua Glenwood project that will include either a Walmart or a Walmart-sized Kroger.

http://www.sandatlanta.org/Files/SAN...Elevations.pdf

Alexan Glenwood (Glenwood Elevation)
i guess i am okay with the residential component. i wish they'd put the kroger on the bottom floor of that! the rest of the site plan really blows. the city needs to be more aggressive on rezoning areas in the beltline district.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2014, 10:01 PM

Oct Midtown DRC meeting Recap

http://www.midtownatl.com/about/midt.../oct-drc-recap

Modera - Mill Creek returned to present updates on their mixed-use project, a 29-story apartment tower with roughly 450 units and 12,300 SF of retail at the corner of 8th Street and Williams Street. The development team incorporated several key changes requested by the DRC including the addition of retail space on Peachtree Place and they received a recommendation of support from the committee on their SAP application.

Broadstone Terraces - Alliance Residential presented a more refined concept for Broadstone Terraces, a new 8-story apartment building with approx. 218 units proposed on the southeastern corner of Juniper at 6th Street. Given its proximity to the single family neighborhood immediately east of Piedmont Avenue, the project was reviewed by both the Midtown Neighbors Association and NPU-E. It received strong support from the neighborhood as well as the DRC.

Azure on the Park - Atlantic Realty Partners provided an update on the first phase of their proposed development at Piedmont and 11th Street. The proposal includes a 24-story residential tower with 283 units, and an adjacent 5-story building with roughly 47 residential units and 2,100 SF of retail space that will wrap structured parking. The DRC recommended support for the project.

Kapture – The committee revisited a renovation project proposed at 75 Peachtree Place that will convert an existing single-story office building into a restaurant/lounge. The committee recommended support for the project and the associated variation request to encroach into the supplemental zone in order to provide a lift for ADA access.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Oct 15, 2014 at 10:11 PM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2014, 12:02 AM

Wow, Midtown will have like 10 towers going up at the same time.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:02 PM

Building implosion

Does anyone know anything about the scheduled implosion of the Executive Park Motor Hotel on North Druid? I've seen references to a scheduled implosion this month but can't find anything specific.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWatl View Post
Does anyone know anything about the scheduled implosion of the Executive Park Motor Hotel on North Druid? I've seen references to a scheduled implosion this month but can't find anything specific.
The plans for the implosion are being finalized for Saturday morning the 8th of November. The actual implosion will happen at “first light” between 7:00 and 7:30 AM. There will be "formal" viewing areas established and attended, including one for the owners and their guests and another for the general public. There will be refreshments available at both. The exact locations for these areas are currently being determined from among the many excellent vantage points to view this event. Before the implosion, we will post a fully detailed explanation of all this on our Facebook page and our website. Thank you all for your continued interest in this project!

https://www.facebook.com/AtlantaDemolition

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:30 PM

So i took a shot at redesigning the Fuqua development at 17th and Northside.

here is a Curbed article about the site: http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...tside.php#more

and here is the site plan that we've seen so far:

by no means am i an architect or really know what im doing but i think my plan is much better. Fuqua if youre out there feel free to steal my idea..

here's a high res. link: http://i.imgur.com/lNJBeVX.jpg

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forj View Post
So i took a shot at redesigning the Fuqua development at 17th and Northside.

here is a Curbed article about the site: http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...tside.php#more

and here is the site plan that we've seen so far:

by no means am i an architect or really know what im doing but i think my plan is much better. Fuqua if youre out there feel free to steal my idea..

here's a high res. link: http://i.imgur.com/lNJBeVX.jpg
Nice Job!

I just don't understand the little SFH cluster on Fuqua's plan. They seem entirely random and out of places.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Nice Job!

I just don't understand the little SFH cluster on Fuqua's plan. They seem entirely random and out of places.
lol i just emailed this to Fuqua. im sure they will just ignore it but worth a shot right!?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 9:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Nice Job!

I am really perplexed why so many people believe SFHs are out of place in Atlantic Station. There are already a few developments in Atlantic Station with SFHs. Also, if you look at Fuqua's site plan, their SFHs have essentially the same footprint as a townhouse minus the shared wall. Do you think townhouses would be out of place there as well?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
I am really perplexed why so many people believe SFHs are out of place in Atlantic Station. There are already a few developments in Atlantic Station with SFHs. Also, if you look at Fuqua's site plan, their SFHs have essentially the same footprint as a townhouse minus the shared wall. Do you think townhouses would be out of place there as well?
I'm sorry, but how can you not see the differences between this:

and this:

The SF homes around Atlantic Station are not gated, they are laid out along a pre-existing grid, they have sidewalks, and they're very well integrated into the neighborhood. The Fuqua SFH pocket on the other hand is completely walled off from every other use, includes no sidewalks and has a single entrance into a parking lot.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 12:02 AM

Yes, there are single family homes near Atlantic Station, but that doesn't mean there need to be more of them. I'm not that worried about the single family homes or town homes being part of this site plan honesty, though I do think there are too many of them and in general the site plan is not laid out well for pedestrian access and does not utilize the space to its maximum potential. That's why I decided to draw up my vision for the site, which you can see above. In my opinion it is a better use for the space and creates a more friendly environment. You could wipe out the bottom left corner of my plan ( parking deck, bottom left apartments, and bottom retail) and put townhomes there easily, and keep the rest and it would still be vastly better that their plan.. In my opinion.

Last edited by forj; Oct 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2014, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
A - the SFHs you showed are not in Atlantic Station, they are in the Home Park neighborhood. The poorly designed row-houses that are in Atlantic Station are there as a transition to the SFH neighborhood (Home Park).

B- My statement regarding the SFH has nothing to do with Atlantic Station and everything to do with the site in question.

C- As shown in the site plan, the homes here will be bordered by power stations, IKEA's backside, train tracks, strip mall parking lots and the apartments creating some kind of bizarre cul de sac in the middle of an area that is actually urbanizing.

And to answer your question I absolutely think townhomes would also be out of place in the current site plan. Its just a pathetically suburban site plan.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:59 PM

The View at Virginia-Highland

I haven't seen these mentioned on this board yet:
http://watersedgegroup.com/communities/931/

They would be at the bottom of Drewry, parallel to the Beltline entrance on Greenwood--and overlooking a nasty parking lot from a building on Pylant. They are also next door to a metal fabrication factory. I'll be curious to see if/when they break ground.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 5:06 PM

106 Room Hotel planned for 14th & Mecaslin

http://atlanta.curbed.com/archives/2...nt-so-sure.php

Quote:
Developers want to bring a hotel-and-retail project to the Home Park neighborhood, but not everyone is excited. In permit applications filed earlier this year, Norcross-based architect Rob Ponder and property owner Rashid Noman proposed a development with "hotel, retail and on-site parking" for the lot at 380 14th St., a property just south of Atlantic Station and a few blocks east of the distinctive Al Farooq Masjid mosque.

More specific details were hard to come by (and neither Ponder nor Noman responded to inquiries this week), but original proposals for the hotel consisted of 106 guest rooms, a rooftop sun deck, a fitness room, a 100-person meeting room, et cetera. Part of the L-shaped hotel and a space for street-level "small retail" would front Mecaslin Street, and most parking would be below-grade, documents said.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2014, 10:53 AM

University House progress

Old Posted Oct 29, 2014, 11:01 PM

One Museum Place will break ground later this year

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/n...irst-look.html

Quote:
Atlanta developer John Wieland will break ground later this year on luxury condo project One Museum Place.
The 45-unit building, with homes ranging from $800,000 to $3.3 million, will sit across from the Woodruff Arts Center.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 3:39 AM

Inman Quarters update

The former 280 Elizabeth development in Inman Park is cranking along. I took these shots last week

Pretty bland roofline on the southwest side

View north on Elizabeth

This is supposed to be Ford Fry’s new thing on the corner of Elizabeth & N. Highland

Looking south between IQ and the almost 10 year old IPV

Sorry about the sizes. Anybody know how to add to the IMG tag to fix that?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta