HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 7:41 PM

Ya those lamps do look similar.

Here is the inside of the Brussels tram(s) we'll be loaned.

larger pics- http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhoon/57263379/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhoon/57262756/sizes/l/

Last edited by Overground; Sep 30, 2008 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 8:05 PM

Maybe the covers are for noise?

Those aren't typical Brussels lampposts. Maybe they're for an outer district or just for that building??

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 9:25 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

Those covers are most likely to ensure some kid doesn't stick their fingers in there.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 9:34 PM

I don't quite understand what is going on now, the are only running the cars for 60 days? To even do that don't they need to build at least 3 station houses/platforms and fix up the rail bed? Not to mention you need to hire a couple drivers and other attendants, create an entire marketing/branding theme and clear who knows how many legal hurdles, just for 60 days? And then what? Years of deliberation on whether we should actually build a full line? I was a lot more excited about this when i believed that even phase 0 would be a permanent fully operational segment of our transportation system and was hoping that the remainder of phase 0, olympic village to main street station, would be built almost immediately after the olympics.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 9:48 PM
Registered Luser

My sentiments exactly, Metro-One. This project keeps slipping further and further into mediocrity. I suppose it all comes down to funding.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Yeah, Siemens S70 wouldn't be a bad choice (or any of their similar designed models).

Or even the restyled Siemens SD160 that Edmonton is receiving now:

My bet is that its going to be low floor though, so that rules the SD160 out.
thats not a street car its an LRT

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 9:58 PM

Well in my eyes the street car line has officially died. It will be a 60 day failiure thanks to no planing or investment, after that it will stop being used and a new city goverment will scrap it completely.

Its too bad....could of been a good oportunity to get a street car service going

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 10:34 PM

COV News Release - hopefully this means double tracking:

Quote:
September 30 , 2008

City of Vancouver and Bombardier Transportation announce Olympic Line modern streetcar service in 2010

The City of Vancouver and Bombardier Transportation will provide a modern streetcar demonstration service to Vancouver residents and visitors during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games, Vancouver Mayor Sam Sullivan and Bombardier Transportation President of Light Rail Vehicles Grego Peters announced today.

The Downtown Streetcar 2010 Demonstration Project is a state-of-the-art, accessible and sustainable transportation project that will connect Granville Island to the Canada Line Olympic Village Station (Cambie Street and West 2nd Avenue) during 60 days of celebration between January 21 and March 21, 2010.

As part of the partnership agreement, Bombardier Transportation will bring two modern streetcars on loan from Brussels, Belgium to Canada. Bombardier will also operate and maintain the vehicles during the demonstration project.

“As Host City of the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games, the City of Vancouver is delighted to be able to partner with Bombardier Transportation to offer a modern transportation experience,” said Sullivan. “This sustainable transportation showcase is an important first step in realizing our vision for the future of the streetcar – a clean, sustainable public transit option for which we believe the day has once again come.”

Sullivan also announced that the City of Vancouver has received permission from the International Olympic Committee and The Vancouver Organizing Committee for the 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games to name operation of the streetcar service The Olympic Line – Vancouver’s 2010 Streetcar for the duration of the 2010 demonstration project.

“Vancouver’s Olympic Line will demonstrate a new mode of sustainable rail transportation in one of the world’s most progressive transit environments,” said Bombardier Transportation’s Grego Peters. “We are delighted to contribute to the Downtown Streetcar 2010 Demonstration Project and are eager to showcase our high-performing streetcars in Vancouver and to visitors from around the world.”

The City of Vancouver is investing $8.5 million to upgrade the Downtown Historic Railway (DHR) infrastructure, including a $500,000 contribution from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, which owns and operates Granville Island. This funding will be used to replace the aging and deteriorating DHR rail infrastructure between Granville Island and West 2nd Avenue. The investment creates the opportunity to demonstrate modern low-floor streetcar technology during the 2010 Winter Games while ensuring the continued future operation of the heritage railway after 2010, and making an investment in a future potential streetcar service along the alignment.

About Bombardier Transportation
Bombardier Transportation has its global headquarters in Berlin, Germany with a presence in over 60 countries. It has an installed base of over 100,000 vehicles worldwide. The Group offers the broadest product portfolio and is recognized as the leader in the global rail sector.

For more information, visit www.bombardier.com.

Media contacts:

City of Vancouver
Corporate Communications

David Slack
Bombardier Transportation
david.slack@ca.transport.bombardier.com

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 10:56 PM

I hope this project comes alive again, it seems to common that projects start with great ambition but are then slowly chipped away throughout the planning stages. Why can't good old Jimmy donate 100 million to the city that made him rich, haha.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:01 PM
Site 8 Lives

I wouldn't be so glum. This is a step in the right direction.

If it wasn't, I can assure you that Bombardier would not be wasting its precious time with this project.

And there's no way that the City of Vancouver would be pumping $8.5 million of its own money for a 60 day novelty ride.

My hunch is that Vancouver will keep the cars after the 60-day trial, based on some decisions that may or may not happen in the interim.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:05 PM
Site 8 Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
I don't quite understand what is going on now, the are only running the cars for 60 days? To even do that don't they need to build at least 3 station houses/platforms and fix up the rail bed? Not to mention you need to hire a couple drivers and other attendants, create an entire marketing/branding theme and clear who knows how many legal hurdles, just for 60 days? And then what? Years of deliberation on whether we should actually build a full line? I was a lot more excited about this when i believed that even phase 0 would be a permanent fully operational segment of our transportation system and was hoping that the remainder of phase 0, olympic village to main street station, would be built almost immediately after the olympics.
There's absolutely no support from TransLink on this.

Nor the province, nor the feds.

Nor, for that matter, the private sector. You would think that the Granville Street or Chinatown or Main Street business associations could promise some funding of their own. So far not.

But if there's public support for the trial, and I suspect there will be, since it will serve an important arterial (Canada Line/Olympic Village to Granville Island), it will be built.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:06 PM
Site 8 Lives

From TheTyee:

Sullivan vague on Vancouver streetcar details

By Geoff Dembicki September 30, 2008 01:01 pm

Vancouver mayor Sam Sullivan said a downtown streetcar line could cost $100 million but was vague on when that system might go into place or where the funding would come from.

The Mayor made his remarks following today’s announcement that the city will be teaming up with Bombardier Transportation to operate two modern streetcars during the 2010 Olympics.

Sullivan said he hopes the trains demonstrate Vancouver’s commitment to sustainability and set the stage for an integrated streetcar system that would extend all the way to Stanley Park.

“It’s an important first step,” he told reporters and city officials underneath the Cambie Street Bridge. “We hope to be able to build the entire downtown streetcar project.”

But when pressed for details on when that initiative would actually go into place, the mayor skirted the issue.

“The funding that will be required has to be worked out,” he said.

Asked where the estimated $100 million for the project would come from, Sullivan said he has been meeting with the federal and provincial governments but wouldn’t give any specific details.

All he would say was that he hoped the demonstration project – entitled The Olympic Line – Vancouver’s 2010 Streetcar – would generate widespread enthusiasm for streetcar transportation.

“This will get citizens excited about rail technology,” he said.

From Jan. 21 to March 21, 2010, two modern streetcars will run 1.8km from Granville Island to the future Canada Line Olympic Village Station at Cambie and 2nd. The line will follow the same route as the Downtown Historic Railway.

Both trains will be on loan from Brussels and will most likely return to Europe after the Olympic Games are over, the Mayor said.

Costing $8.5 million, the demonstration project budget includes $500,000 from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation which owns and runs Granville Island.

Sullivan said the idea of an integrated streetcar system has been tossed around city council for the last two decades.

Vancouver used streetcars extensively from the late 1800s until the system was scrapped in 1958.

Geoff Dembicki is a staff reporter for The Hook.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:08 PM
Site 8 Lives

"Costing $8.5 million, the demonstration project budget includes $500,000 from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation which owns and runs Granville Island."

OK, my bad. At least CMHC is stepping up to the plate.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:09 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

There will not be double tracking, their is space for it all the way along the line, but during this Phase -0 they will only be providing a passing lane for a section of it.

The city still hopes to complete Phase 0,1,2 and 2+ but it really boils down to if they can get translink on board. The city is not interested in competing with translink.

This trial period is what they are hoping will spur interest, so if you really want to see the whole thing built out, be vocal, and ride the line as much as you can during those 60days.

I hope we see this built out to Phase 2+ but to be honest I'd like to see it stop there. Trolley buses have many advantages over streetcars and I would hate to see use revert back to streetcars completely, there are reasons we moved away.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:28 PM

I just want a decent rail connection to Granville Island and Stanley Park. I almost never go to Granville Island simply because it is a pain in the ass to get to. I would go 10 times more if it was simply a transfer from the sky-train to a street car at Main Street station in order to get there. I also really dumbfounded that there is so little support for this from translink especially.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2008, 11:45 PM

Mayor Sullivan reveals plans for Olympic streetcar line test

VANCOUVER -- The City of Vancouver will spend $8 million for a 60-day demonstration of a streetcar service to connect Granville Island and the Canada Line rapid transit station at Cambie Street during the 2010 Olympics and Paralympics.

Mayor Sam Sullivan unveiled plans for what is being dubbed the Olympic Line, with International Olympic Committee approval, Tuesday with hopes that the test will lead to establishment of the long-sought permanent streetcar network that would loop around to serve all of downtown to Stanley Park.

The city's $8 million will pay to upgrade 1.8 kilometres of existing rail track. The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corp., which operates Granville Island, will put $500,000 into the project, Sullivan said.

Canadian transportation giant Bombardier will provide two of its 150-passenger streetcar units, on loan from the Brussels Transport Company, and operate the system under a sponsorship arrangement.

The city hopes to make the initial demonstration a free service, but Sullivan said city officials are still in discussions with TransLink about the possibility of integrating the demonstration project into regular transit services.

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...c-d2b092620afa

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:05 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
Yeah, Siemens S70 wouldn't be a bad choice (or any of their similar designed models).

Or even the restyled Siemens SD160 that Edmonton is receiving now:

My bet is that its going to be low floor though, so that rules the SD160 out.
@ the SD160. Reminds me of some camping vehicles you see driving through the Rockies. Seems so North American in nature, which I don't like.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I also really dumbfounded that there is so little support for this from translink especially.
Probably because it is a duplication of service. Most of the points connected are on either the Expo Line (Main Street / Stadium / Waterfront) or the Canada Line (Olympic Village / Yaletown Roundhouse / Waterfront) which provide a faster route than circumnavigating the Creek. The main places that will benefit are on the ends of the routes - Granville Island and Stanley Park.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:10 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
I hope this project comes alive again, it seems to common that projects start with great ambition but are then slowly chipped away throughout the planning stages. Why can't good old Jimmy donate 100 million to the city that made him rich, haha.
I'm willing to donate $20.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:13 AM
Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overground View Post
Ya those lamps do look similar.

Here is the inside of the Brussels tram(s) we'll be loaned.

larger pics- http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhoon/57263379/sizes/l/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lhoon/57262756/sizes/l/
I like this sort of seating arrangement. A lot better than what the Canada Line offers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure