HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 17, 2009, 10:13 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
I don't really know where my last joke was going, whether I was for or against your statement...it just felt fitting.

But now.....

http://www.walkermacy.com/projects/u...oneer_corridor

I personally don't think that the building should necessarily be separated right there to meet Pioneer Corridor. There is a line of site all the way down the Corridor which would come to a very fitting conclusion with a prominent building at 11th and Myrtle. (Think European churches and their purposeful placement at the end of important streets.) While I don't think that a parking garage or whatever the curved structure is there satisfies the criteria of "prominent building", I'm not convinced that a gap on a major corner only to have the Corridor peeter out inside JUMP is that much more desirable. The Simplots couldn't ask for a better location to have an architectural masterpiece with SIMPLOT blazoned across the top of it than at the corner of 11th and Myrtle.
from the model though, the corner of 11th and Myrtle does not appear to be on stilts... I am not suggesting it be wide open, but flow into the center of it would make sense.. If they're going for a meeting place or plaza.. it would have to seem uninterrupted wouldn't it? not just flow into the plaza but out the other side into the CBD... why couldn't two L shaped buildings be used..
where access can flow through but still provide a center plaza...

I don't have time right now to illustrate it with photoshop..
but something like L 7

Old Posted Nov 18, 2009, 7:42 AM

Yeah, I see the merits of your points and really either of our positions are much better than what is proposed in the rendering. Yours could be slightly restrictive in that by creating two buildings there is a strong separation of building use and access to parking. The whole idea really wouldn't work at all if that section is a parking garage, which is kind of hard to determine from the rendering, without reworking a lot of the entire development. If a plan could be formulated that would work with your ideas I could get behind that. It's really anticlimactic as is.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 7:38 AM

Apparently the city agrees with the "too closed off" opinion of JUMP. It will be interesting to see the design direction the Simplots take with it next. I seriously doubt construction will begin in 2010 now if they're completely redesigning it, which is fine if it means we'll get a development we can really be proud of. It's nice to see the city council is getting a backbone. Possibly by the end of the year?

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/996574.html

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 8:12 AM

Almost sounds like the Council was actually listening to you guys here in the forum

www.UtahProjects.info

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
Almost sounds like the Council was actually listening to you guys here in the forum
No kidding. I'm so glad that lack of connectivity was the primay issue that the Statesman cited. Let's get that clean connection from Broad Street to the Pioneer path done, team.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 3:36 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAnderson View Post
If they don't they should.

Or, it could be that the regular contributors to this forum are reasonable and rational people and concluded that JUMP did not fit into the Boise scene. Gratuitous suck-up to the forum notwithstanding, I can't imagine it fitting into any city's downtown. It simply seemed like a castle surrounded by a moat.

FWIW, my contact on the inside at Esther's warehouse, as of yesterday still claims they have to be out by the end of this month. I don't know how my source would know, but demo is supposed to begin in the summer.

That makes sense, because it will take them several months to redesign the Castle on Front.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 9:43 PM
Always running Late

Quote:
Yeah, I see the merits of your points and really either of our positions are much better than what is proposed in the rendering. Yours could be slightly restrictive in that by creating two buildings there is a strong separation of building use and access to parking. The whole idea really wouldn't work at all if that section is a parking garage, which is kind of hard to determine from the rendering, without reworking a lot of the entire development. If a plan could be formulated that would work with your ideas I could get behind that. It's really anticlimactic as is.
there is a seperation of building use, and surely access as well if they are planning on having open public access and incorporating the simplot headquarters into it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2009, 11:25 PM

^ Yeah I know, I was referring to the use of that specific section of the building. It doesn't make any sense to just cut it in half if there is a single use right there without reworking the building design, as I said in my last post.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2009, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisecynic View Post
If they don't they should.

Or, it could be that the regular contributors to this forum are reasonable and rational people and concluded that JUMP did not fit into the Boise scene. Gratuitous suck-up to the forum notwithstanding, I can't imagine it fitting into any city's downtown. It simply seemed like a castle surrounded by a moat.

FWIW, my contact on the inside at Esther's warehouse, as of yesterday still claims they have to be out by the end of this month. I don't know how my source would know, but demo is supposed to begin in the summer.

That makes sense, because it will take them several months to redesign the Castle on Front
I've also heard this same news through the grapevine and if the project is delayed a few months for re-design then it is a good thing. That warehouse and the building the Emerald Club/Firefly is in are not the most attractive buildings but it would suck if they tore them down and then this new project was delayed and delayed.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I've also heard this same news through the grapevine and if the project is delayed a few months for re-design then it is a good thing. That warehouse and the building the Emerald Club/Firefly is in are not the most attractive buildings but it would suck if they tore them down and then this new project was delayed and delayed.
Guys what's the latest on this project?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 3:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKid View Post
Guys what's the latest on this project?
Nothing new to report as of right now.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2010, 3:37 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The last report I read is that the designers were at work with the city to come to an agreement.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jan 10, 2010, 10:34 PM

Hmmmm, it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 9:10 PM

Has anyone else read the news about JUMP posted today at the IBR? The updated design is looking pretty good and the project seems to be moving ahead quickly. There are going to be issues with that little sliver of land the attorney wants to hold on to.

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...-moves-forward

The pdf form at the city website http://www.cityofboise.org/city_cler...0/sos09-11.pdf

has a lot of details and some images of the buildings and the new corporate headquarters for Simplot Company on Front Street. It looks like the corner of 9th and Front is now a park entrance.
The views start on page 55 at the link. I can't get the images to post here from the pdf..can anyone else? The wang doodles along 9th Street look kind of cool and so does the new office tower.

This is from the link:

Downtown Boise will remain the foremost urban center in the region for business,
government, culture, education and urban living. It is and will continue to be a collection of
districts, each with its own unique character and function. Districts, activity centers and in-town
neighborhoods will be connected by a well-designed and functional transportation system.”

“Downtown will become a mosaic of delightful places that evoke a sense of community and
invite people to explore and enjoy... . Downtown will offer an invigorating environment with
bustling streets, music, festivals, public art, parks and plazas, neighborhood taverns and great
restaurants. There will be a rich intellectual environment that attracts talented people and sparks
creativity and innovation, supported by state-of-the-art telecommunications and technology.
People from all walks of life will feel welcome and become engaged in the life of downtown.
The history and culture of its peoples will be celebrated. There will be room for quirkiness and
spontaneity. Downtown will be a vibrant place where people thrive and businesses prosper… .”

East and West Sides

The east and west side of the park is entirely open to view from the adjacent sidewalks and streets. The
park’s presence and activities in the park will be most visible from the east side to people travelling on
Front Street and 9th Street by people use these streets on a daily basis (see Views 3 and 5). They will
immediately recognize the character of the place and quickly add this new feature to their mental
landscape of downtown. This visibility will encourage people to come to the park. People visiting the
park as a destination will also be able to see how close it is to travel to BoDo, the Convention Center, the
Grove Hotel and Qwest Arena and the downtown core because the buildings that signal these locations
will be visible. (See Views 20 and 21.) (Also the aerial views in Views 28-30 show how open the edges
are on the project site.)
Seeing the park from the west side provides a closer view of the headquarters and foundation buildings.
The headquarters building is impressive and the foundation building has an intriguing form that will
attract interest. (See Views 9, 10 and 11.) The entranceway into the park is welcoming but narrower than
on the east side because of the closeness between the amphitheater and the foundation building. (See
Views 20 and 21) It is unknown at this time how high the wall will be surrounding the amphitheater.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2010, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the info Cottonwood.

These images and more are found at http://www.cityofboise.org/city_cler...0/sos09-11.pdf

^The central gap is 52 feet high and 80 feet wide.

Last edited by Visualize; Jan 14, 2010 at 4:05 AM.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 12:14 AM

Thanks for sharing.

I think the design looks a tad bit better, but I still don't know about it...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 12:59 AM

If those linings of trees are where the pedestrian paths will be, then I'm definitely satisfied in that regard. It's a bit windy for my tastes, but it looks like my desired connection from the Pioneer corridor to Broad Street will happen.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 1:18 AM

Wow... They really scaled it back. It's about half the size they proposed earlier...

Before

After

Might as well add a skate park to it for thrills...

I'm not impressed.. Remember to think ahead. In 20 years this building will be dwarfed.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 2:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
There are going to be issues with that little sliver of land the attorney wants to hold on to.
If he complains any more there will be nothing left..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2010, 2:37 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Thanks for the info Cottonwood.

These images and more are found at http://www.cityofboise.org/city_cler...0/sos09-11.pdf

^The central gap is 52 feet high and 80 feet wide.

It is not as massive as first proposed but I kind of like it with the open green space and the trees. The West side of the project will flow well and be inviting when the replacement convention center is built across 11th Street.

The proposal has that green au natural look to it which is fitting of Boise and will be another people hang -out addition to downtown. I bet there will be some great landscaping and the trees will hopefully be plentiful so that they create great arbor coverage as they grow. I'm excited to see more detailed renderings when they become available. I just wish they were including the building at 9th and Front from the original proposal, but oh well.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West