HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Love the design of the Hyatt Regency. But it's gone from 25 to 23 to 22 stories.
Pretty sure that's a misprint. I've seen nothing that the number of floors has changed from the original 23 plus 2 sub street level and utility floor. So yes, some have reported it as 23 or 25 or 26. It will have the fourth largest number of room of downtown hotels at 540.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2018, 2:58 AM
Nashville born and raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTenn1 View Post
An update of all significant projects under construction (doesn't include billion dollar airport upgrade)....

And probable proposed projects...

The 12 story Graduate Hotel on West End will likely start this year but no hint of a rendering or massing diagram has been revealed.
Bumping up to new page. Too much info to be so quickly bumped back.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2018, 11:20 PM

Lost in the announcement of the 15 acre, one billion dollar, Nashville Yards development on the west side of downtown is the development of a major entertainment complex. AEG, out of Los Angeles has purchased 4 of the 15 acres with an option for another 1.5 acres.
They have stated the large theater venue will be aimed at locals and not so much tourists.

Details are as follows....

This alone would be a notable and anticipated development, but does not get the attention it warrants due to the shadow of all the other development going on.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 5:41 AM

In the picture, if I identified it correctly, and I'm sure I did, it looks like a small Lincoln Center except the 4,000 seat theater would be larger than any of the LC facilities.

Just think of all the possible performance venues downtown (capacity)...
  • The Ryman (1,298)
  • Country Music Hall Of Fame (2@ 776 & 213)
  • Bridgestone Arena (20,000)
  • Jackson Hall, TPAC (2,472)
  • Polk Theater, TPAC (1,075)
  • Municipal Auditorium (9,654)
  • Schermerhorn Symphony Center (1,844)
  • Music City Center (2,773)
  • Ascend Amphitheater (1,600)
  • Rocket Town (1,500, SRO)
  • Riverfront Park-Barges (???)
  • City Hall Park
  • War Memorial Auditorium (1,661)
  • Wild Horse Saloon (1,200)

And proposed Venues

• AEG Theater (4,000)
  • AEG Club (600)
  • Museum of African American Music (?)
  • House of Blues (???)
  • So many hotel venues!!!!!!
  • Those I can't think of, but I know they are there.

WOW?? Twelve rooms that will hold more than a thousand.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
[*]Ascend Amphitheater (1,600)
The Ascend may have 1,600 fixed seats, but it's capacity with lawn seating is about 5,000.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 4:15 PM

The Mayor of Nashville, Megan Barry, just resigned after an extra-marital affair with her police bodyguard led to theft charges and a secret court appearance where she pled guilty. No details about that have been released, but there was an ongoing investigation into the exorbitant overtime charges by her bodyguard as they traveled extensively 'on city business'.

All that aside, the shocking turn of events comes at a bad time for the promotion of the 5.2 billion (or 9 billion?) dollar long range transit program. A referendum will be held in early May to approve the plan and recent polling showed a significant plurality, but not a majority, in in favor of the plan with a large undecided vote.

The plan includes extensive upgrades to existing bus service, bus rapid transit service and 20+ miles of light rail including 1.9 miles of it underground.

Hopefully, this distraction is now behind, and the new Mayor, David Briley, who likely supports the plan, will help return focus to the issue in a proactive manner.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Mar 13, 2018 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2018, 6:39 PM

I expect her resignation to actually help transit.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:58 PM

Beautiful views of the city one recent morning from the Channel 5 Newscopter.

Downtown is on the left with SoBro on the upper right and the Lower Broad tourist district on the lower right.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 8:41 PM
Show me the blueprints

Re: Mayor Barry

I was going to post something about the unfolding news regarding the resignation and how it may or may not affect the transit plan somewhere in the Transportation threads but I guess here is as good a place as any.

From what I've gathered the deputy mayor Briley is one of the plans most vocal champions so I have coinfidence it's in good hands. If there is any city in the country that needs a major transit upgrade like this it is Nashville.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
Re: Mayor Barry

I was going to post something about the unfolding news regarding the resignation and how it may or may not affect the transit plan somewhere in the Transportation threads but I guess here is as good a place as any.

From what I've gathered the deputy mayor Briley is one of the plans most vocal champions so I have coinfidence it's in good hands. If there is any city in the country that needs a major transit upgrade like this it is Nashville.
The recent polling referred to above was done during the height of the scandal revelations, so if support was favorable at that time, then I agree that it should improve and pass by (my guess) 55% to 45%.

BTW, here's the schedule; from the plan released in December, 2017

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 3:14 PM

WOW!

This is so Nashville!! Go to this link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=kOlGmM3vlMc

Last edited by MidTenn1; Mar 9, 2018 at 3:28 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2018, 3:02 PM

Hotel Row Aerial View

I recently got to tour the newly opened Fairlane Hotel at 4th and Union in downtown Nashville. It is a beautiful rehab of the former 501 Union, twelve story office building. I took some interesting aerial photos from the roof.

The two 12 story older buildings in the lower left photo are hotels that are already opened.

And also from the penthouse, I took some nice pictures of several of the other hotels on the street being rehabbed from other existing buildings. The Bobby added a 10 story extension to the backside facing historic Printers Alley (the photo on the lower left).

And the Dream Hotel is maybe the best project underway in the City....

All very impressive.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Mar 13, 2018 at 1:42 PM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2018, 4:33 AM

Finally!!

Some real progress related to the decade long fail known as the West End Summit. The developer, Alex Palmer first revealed plans the build a magnificent, two high rise project on perhaps the most prominent site in Midtown; on the high point at the gateway to Midtown where Broadway splits away from West End. Hence the name West End Summit.

The project dragged along until 2008 when Palmer excavated a large hole for a future parking garage. Then the great recession hit and his financial backing dried up and the project remained on hold and the hole filled up with water and became known as Palmer Lake, even on Google Maps. There were a few teases about a new tenant or partner, but nothing ever happened. Meanwhile, Midtown, like all of Nashville became a boomtown with dozens (yes dozens) of residential, hotel and office buildings being constructed all around.

Well now, the Nashville Business Journal has reported Palmer has a deal in place to sell the property. No details have been announced, but new ownership is cause enough to celebrate. I would think the pre excavation would invite a significant mixed-use development. But, most would be satisfied to just get rid of the eyesore.

Some details;

Last edited by MidTenn1; Jan 19, 2021 at 2:37 AM. Reason: Re-installed picture

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 4:22 PM

Two grand developments on the north side of the State Capitol are progressing nicely (I know, it's not fair getting projects like this simply because we are the State Capitol).

The State Museum will display information regarding Tennessee's rich history in a first class facility with all the proper bells and whistles.

And the grand State Archives Building which will house all official records and many other documents available for research.

You can get a sense of their locations from the picture on the upper right of each card. They will be on opposite sides of the wonderful carillon located at the north end of the three block long State Bicentennial Mall. It's an incredible location.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Mar 22, 2018 at 11:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2018, 11:05 PM

Graduate Hotel at Vanderbilt Renderings

Renderings for the Graduate Hotel proposed for 20th and West End in Nashville's densely developed Midtown area reveals a quirky post-modern industrial architecture which will be loosely appropriate for this area as it will be a block from Vanderbilt which is in the process of lining it's West End street front with a Dickensian London style of architecture.

The Hotel will have 203 rooms and is scheduled to open in the Fall of 2019.

This one looks good to go as preliminary approvals have been granted and financing is in place. It replaces a Taco Bell and Jack in the Box.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Mar 24, 2018 at 3:37 PM. Reason: Better Picture

Old Posted Mar 28, 2018, 10:22 AM

The 805 Lea project in SoBro was revealed in the Nashville Business Journal to have a group of New Orleans investors behind it. They are acquiring land in addition to the land with the already approved 35 story, 375 unit mixed-use tower.

They did remark that no construction start is imminent.

Last edited by MidTenn1; Mar 28, 2018 at 10:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2018, 9:03 PM

Plans for a 20 story office building on the Endeavor Company, 12th and Demonbruen site in the Gulch District revealed.

Per the Tennessean, the developers will go before the City to get final approvals soon and expect to begin construction in August. Demolition will begin soon also on some existing properties which include a strip club. The ultimate development, said to be complete by May, 2020, will include a 16 story hotel and 28 story residential tower.

One has to speculate as to whether or not there is a client lined up. It is well known the Dutch Philips Corporation and Hankook Tires want a prominent location with their name on the building in Nashville and this site will be very prominent as it sets against the east side of I-40 through the downtown gulch. Hmmm?

Nashville is starting to get quite a wall of high-rises along that part of the interstate, now.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2018, 12:08 AM

Seems like Second Avenue Partners and One KVB Circle have gone silent.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Finally!!

Some real progress related to the decade long fail known as the West End Summit. The developer, Alex Palmer first revealed plans the build a magnificent, two high rise project on perhaps the most prominent site in Midtown; on the high point at the gateway to Midtown where Broadway splits away from West End. Hence the name West End Summit.

The project dragged along until 2008 when Palmer excavated a large hole for a future parking garage. Then the great recession hit and his financial backing dried up and the project remained on hold and the hole filled up with water and became known as Palmer Lake, even on Google Maps. There were a few teases about a new tenant or partner, but nothing ever happened. Meanwhile, Midtown, like all of Nashville became a boomtown with dozens (yes dozens) of residential, hotel and office buildings being constructed all around.

Well now, the Nashville Business Journal has reported Palmer has a deal in place to sell the property. No details have been announced, but new ownership is cause enough to celebrate. I would think the pre excavation would invite a significant mixed-use development. But, most would be satisfied to just get rid of the eyesore.

Some details;

Well, the deal is done!!!

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...ent/457767002/

I'm cautiously intrigued to see what the new owners of the property intend to do with it. On the surface they seem to have all that's necessary to develop the property. The big question for me is are they willing to build based on speculation if they intend to do an office tower? Although I suspect they will do a mixed-use project.

In terms of height for a building built on that site the Nashville Post reported the following in a related article:

Brown declined to note either a targeted groundbreaking date or the height of what will be a Class A office building. However, he acknowledged that, for example, a 10- to 12-story office structure would not be suitably tall for such a prominent parcel.

When asked if the future tower will rise at least 18 to 20 stories, Brown said it will be “commensurate” in scale, scope and attractiveness with the site.

“This clearly is one of those” urban Nashville properties deserving of a major high-rise," he said.

I'm hoping that they will build Nashville's first 30+ story high rise outside of the CBD. As far as the project being commensurate in scale with the site... well, I hope he means that in terms of the size of the property being significant enough to sustain a large tower. Because the scale of most structures surrounding that property are one and two story buildings.

I'm also happy that we can once and for all put the decade old West End Summit project to rest.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2018, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Well, the deal is done!!!

https://www.tennessean.com/story/mon...ent/457767002/

I'm cautiously intrigued to see what the new owners of the property intend to do with it. On the surface they seem to have all that's necessary to develop the property. The big question for me is are they willing to build based on speculation if they intend to do an office tower? Although I suspect they will do a mixed-use project.

In terms of height for a building built on that site the Nashville Post reported the following in a related article:

Brown declined to note either a targeted groundbreaking date or the height of what will be a Class A office building. However, he acknowledged that, for example, a 10- to 12-story office structure would not be suitably tall for such a prominent parcel.

When asked if the future tower will rise at least 18 to 20 stories, Brown said it will be “commensurate” in scale, scope and attractiveness with the site.

“This clearly is one of those” urban Nashville properties deserving of a major high-rise," he said.

I'm hoping that they will build Nashville's first 30+ story high rise outside of the CBD. As far as the project being commensurate in scale with the site... well, I hope he means that in terms of the size of the property being significant enough to sustain a large tower. Because the scale of most structures surrounding that property are one and two story buildings.

I'm also happy that we can once and for all put the decade old West End Summit project to rest.

Palmer's original proposal was for a 27 story, 406 ft. tall office building with an approximately 375 ' tall residential/hotel. Maybe they can stay in that range since it was approved before. It would make an incredible gateway (hmm, Midtown Gates sounds nice, feel free to use it developers).

The current tallest in Midtown is the Sky House at 25/289' with Palmer plaza second at 16/269'. The new Vanderbilt 20 story tower on the west side of the campus could approach 300' because it is an academic building with presumably larger floor to floor heights. So a 30+story office building would stand out in Mid Town.

MID TOWN

One million square feet is a nice sized development, equivalent to a couple of 40 story buildings although I would expect a hotel, residential and retail to be included in that total. Crossing fingers.

Something tall here, coupled with a rumored 60 story residential building downtown would really top off Nashville's 31 block long skyline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations