HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 6:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchoupitoulas View Post
An aerial of the new VA Medical Center from earlier this month:

wow great photo!!! Thanks for that!

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:30 PM

Google Earth

Google Earth's satellite pictures of New Orleans were updated, showing the city in April, during French Quarter Fest. You have to download google earth and move the timeline to the most recent date to see it. Some new things to note: streetcar work, Jung Hotel, Iberville Projects, Lafitte Greenway, City Park Golf Courses, South Market, Dave and Busters, WWII Museum, lakefront pumping stations, to name a few.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:53 PM

Nice! Thanks.

You can also see the North Terminal early progress.

Last edited by typo86; May 4, 2016 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:20 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Google Earth's satellite pictures of New Orleans were updated, showing the city in April, during French Quarter Fest. You have to download google earth and move the timeline to the most recent date to see it. Some new things to note: streetcar work, Jung Hotel, Iberville Projects, Lafitte Greenway, City Park Golf Courses, South Market, Dave and Busters, WWII Museum, lakefront pumping stations, to name a few.
Awesome. Thanks for the update!

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:09 PM
-

Some pics from Updated Google Satellite 4.6.16:

New Pump Stations:

Our New Subdivision The Oaks:

My new Office 130 Harrison:

New Shopping Center where old Home Depot was on Carrollton:

The Jung and My house:

City Park Golf Course:

Raising Canes and Shopping Center:

Trader Joes and Shopping CEnter:

North Terminal Airport:

Iberville Redevelopment:

1031 Canal/Homewood Suites/Rampart STreetcar:

New magazine street construction:

UMC/VA/Tulane Ave:

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:38 PM

Great Pics! But that reminds me, does anyone know the status of the 1031 Canal highrise? I've noticed a tower crane in the same spot for a few weeks. This project may get the award for slowest moving project in city history.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:57 PM

Northshore

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 5:54 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post

Im very happy for Mandeville. i think this project will be such a nice addition for the northshore.

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 8:33 PM

New Orleans RTA pursuing fed grant for streetcar to 9th Ward
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ing_fed_g.html

The New Orleans Regional Transit Authority is chasing $26.7 million in federal grant funds to extend the St. Claude streetcar line deeper into the 9th Ward.

The City Council voted 6-0 Thursday in support of the RTA's pursuit of the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery, or TIGER, grant money...

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 6:21 PM

1031 Canal

Indeed, what is going on at 1031 Canal? I went by there yesterday and saw no activity or heavy equipment on the site.

Old Posted May 8, 2016, 11:31 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by typo86 View Post
New Orleans RTA pursuing fed grant for streetcar to 9th Ward
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s...ing_fed_g.html

The New Orleans Regional Transit Authority is chasing $26.7 million in federal grant funds to extend the St. Claude streetcar line deeper into the 9th Ward.

The City Council voted 6-0 Thursday in support of the RTA's pursuit of the Transportation Investment Generating Economic Recovery, or TIGER, grant money...
This is only an extension to Press Street. Right now Norfolk Southern won't allow the streetcar line to cross a rail line at grade... I think it's foolish to do this next extension without a firm concept of how the line will be extended further. If it has to be an overpass, let's figure out what that looks like and get it done...

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:22 AM
Show me the blueprints

This is great news that they are ambitiously pursuing an extension. Unlike on the current phase west of Elysian Fields I am assuming they plan on taking full advantage of the wider neutral ground east of Elysian Fileds. Would the water table prevent full underpass at the RR tracks?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 2:32 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
This is great news that they are ambitiously pursuing an extension. Unlike on the current phase west of Elysian Fields I am assuming they plan on taking full advantage of the wider neutral ground east of Elysian Fileds. Would the water table prevent full underpass at the RR tracks?
Good questions! I still dont see why they cant work out an agreement with the railroad.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 2:46 AM

I would imagine that extending the line past Press St. would require closing off the rail line for a month or so. That would render the rail yard useless for that time and cut off a major rail artery that serves the port.

Personally, I would prefer RTA to not spend anymore money on streetcar projects at least until more of the street construction is wrapped up. It's a huge expense for very little benefit and is very disruptive. Surely the nearly 9 million local match would be better spent on replacing buses or other infrastructure needs.

Last edited by prokowave; May 9, 2016 at 3:23 AM.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 4:46 AM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I would imagine that extending the line past Press St. would require closing off the rail line for a month or so. That would render the rail yard useless for that time and cut off a major rail artery that serves the port.
Not at all. With careful staging they could splice in a track crossing in a day.

Norfolk Southern doesn't want the liability. Which is strange, because the streetcar isn't practically any different than the buses that already cross there. You just have to put a crossing gate that blocks the streetcar tracks...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Me...8ccd90!5m1!1e2 (Australia, they drive on the left....)

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 5:14 PM
NOLA Razorback

Hard Rock Hotel Piazza d'Italia

Looks like its back to the drawing board for the Hard Rock after the developers were unable to reach an agreement with the city.. http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...art_river_home

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 9:04 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
Looks like its back to the drawing board for the Hard Rock after the developers were unable to reach an agreement with the city.. http://www.nola.com/business/index.s...art_river_home
Cant say Im very surprised. Its hard to get excited when you only had one bidder. The other ones were a joke Im not sure why more people werent intereted in this parcel to be honest. Its probably the second best in the city after the world trade center. Anyone have any thoughts? I mean I thought the RFP was pretty straightforward and the property is more than accomodating so Im nto sure what gives here. The hard rock proposal was ok but not as iconic as I think something could be there.

Hard Rock Hotel does seem like it would be a better fit for the trade district neighborhood too. Especially since they like to do large party pools and Im not sure that location is as accomodating as trade district will be.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 9:50 PM

I'm sure having to work with a development agency affiliated with the city of New Orleans would give many developers pause, especially with the city's track record of not getting deals done. I believe properties such as this and the WTC should have been sold outright to avoid all of this delay.

New hotel on Rampart going up quickly. No surprise given the value engineering, but at least that will lessen the disruption in the area.

Mid-City retail at 500 N. Carrollton nearing completion. This was shaping up to be an attractive project, until they added that siding. Looks totally out of place with all of the brick.

I also passed by 1031 Canal today. The site is completely dead, but there are two tower crane foundations. Perhaps they are for the streetcar construction to wrap up so they have more space to work with? I know they had some trouble with the walls of the neighboring building - that doesn't look like it was properly addressed.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 12:53 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
I'm sure having to work with a development agency affiliated with the city of New Orleans would give many developers pause, especially with the city's track record of not getting deals done. I believe properties such as this and the WTC should have been sold outright to avoid all of this delay.

New hotel on Rampart going up quickly. No surprise given the value engineering, but at least that will lessen the disruption in the area.

Mid-City retail at 500 N. Carrollton nearing completion. This was shaping up to be an attractive project, until they added that siding. Looks totally out of place with all of the brick.

I also passed by 1031 Canal today. The site is completely dead, but there are two tower crane foundations. Perhaps they are for the streetcar construction to wrap up so they have more space to work with? I know they had some trouble with the walls of the neighboring building - that doesn't look like it was properly addressed.
Amazing how quickly that project can happen when you do that sort of construction.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
To me this is just sad. Every project that seems to have sound finances and is a no brainier for development somehow is thrown to the side in the 11th hour and we get stuck going back to square, one or worse, getting something cheaper and less thought out. This is almost 10 years of various projects/development opportunities that have seemed like a slam dunk and wind up being failures. The majority of this tends to be on the city's end with them either wanting more money from companies or just not wanting to execute leases for unknown reasons. I'm just tired of such great projects that would help define our city go to the wayside because of stupidity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations