HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Aug 18, 2009, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznHalf View Post
ACOttawa, thanks for the great post. Detailed and balanced on pro's and con's. This gives me some insights as to what to expect/upgrade (in terms of the appliances - which I plan on upgrading at the Brick before I move in).

Yeah I was aware of the tiny gym area, the gym in CP II is supposed to be twice the size - or so the sales lady said.

As for the hardwood floors, I was actually wondering if I should just tear them all out and get my own installed. I already asked them if I could just get it not installed in the first place - but they need to, which is standard code for allowing the owner in. I'll keep an "ear" out for the floors, if they creak.

Any idea why it takes so long for them to react? My mom has a Claridge home in Orleans and they were extremely timely if they had to come to look at something. For instance, her backyard has a sewer grate in it and the earth has sunken away from the grate. She called the city and they told her the builder was responsible, they were there within 3 days to fix it.

I'd like to get more views from people who actually live in the building - this gives me better insights than random comments from other people.
My friend lives there as a renter and says the same things, he would never buy there because he says he's seen all he needs to see. I'll press for details. You might beware of CP's promises as well because very little amounts to truth. I find it humorous that you call them 'semi-luxury' - your definition is different than mine! They have a great skill at making it look sharp, but beware of what is going on behind those walls! I'll use the Kia analogy again. Sure, the Kia sales centre is pretty beautiful, with perfect air conditioning, tile, colours. Then you start the car and it doesn't look and feel quite like my old BMW. After a year it looks/drives like a 10 year old vehicle in comparison to my BMW. I wonder why, maybe it wasn't built as well? Also, do you know that 75% of Claridge I is renters? Have you actually spent time in that building? If you do, look around at who your 'neighbours' will be. Also why hasn't the city got on Claridge's case about the weeds? Talk about an eyesore, they are doing zero maintenance around the building.

Last edited by urbansprawl; Aug 18, 2009 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2009, 3:14 PM

You are scaring me

Guys,

Just bought a condo at 101 Richmond, love Westboro. However, I am very worried of the reputation of Ashcroft. After reading all these post, I am not sure I'm doing the right thing.

Alexandra

Old Posted Oct 2, 2009, 12:16 AM

I joined this forum, just so that I could reply to this ridiculous thread. There's obviously a couple people who believe everything that they hear and read as well as pushing some kind of smear campaign.

First of all, not just in defence of Claridge but all builders - not everything is going to be perfect the first time around. We are after all talking about developers of property - these are NOT the same people who actually build! They sub-contract people to build the property. So, unless the builder uses the same people for each project, you can't compare every project that they've done since different people work on them. This is the same for the architecture, design, etc.

I could tell you stories about a few builders and developers here in Ottawa. Structural problems, garbage in the walls, bad wiring, etc, etc. A developer here in Ottawa has a VERY different reputation than perhaps Toronto or even Florida. It all depends on many factors.

I talked to people in the know about the flood in CPI. Instead of listening to rumours, you should check out the facts. It was within the first month that people were moving in. Security was not yet on par with the building's management (and there obviously is still not a condo board since not everybody had moved in yet). A lot of people knew about the problem and it could've been repaired faster but the security did not have access to that part of the building yet. So, yes the water stayed on and flooded some units. Apparently the pipes expanded from freezing (middle of winter) and broke. They put people up for free in Les Suites hotel until they repaired the issue. From what I could tell, everybody realized the broken lines of "communications" and everybody felt really bad about it. Apparently this isn't uncommon as I've heard of at least two other condos here in Ottawa that have had similar problems in the last year. Unfortunately when you build buildings of that height and size, there are bound to be some problems.

As far as design goes - I don't think you can say any buildings in Ottawa are amazing. HP is very nice on the outside but like previously mentioned, the amenities, etc are a bit sub-par. If you want design, look towards the US or perhaps even Vancouver or maybe soon Toronto. I think Claridge has done a great job in what they have been allowed to do. You can blame the city and the NCC for not breaking out of the mold.

I like the guy who said "location, location, location" - like downtown is a bad location? Where would you rather be downtown?...maybe you can be at 90 George where valet can bring the crack to you. In every big city around the world, you're going to have drunks and druggies hanging around downtown. Yeah it does suck that we have so many homeless shelters in a small radius but the city hasn't done much to change that.

And for the guy complaining about trucks going by all the time - what floor are you on? I'm going to say you're on one of the first 10 floors. There's a reason those units are cheaper - the views and the noise. Who lives downtown, opens their windows for fresh air and complains about the noise? Obviously you're living in the wrong part of town - head East or West and then pass Orleans and/or Kanata and start looking for quiet country property.

...and lastly, the weeds. Are you kidding me? Who complains about weeds on a construction site? Come back here and complain about the weed problem in a couple years when they're done construction. Also, isn't that a city problem?

And to the girl who bought Ashcroft - I wouldn't worry about it. As you can see, there seems to be some uneducation going on in here. People like to complain when something's wrong but rarely say something when something is good. Base your purchase decision on your own thoughts and perceptions and you'll be happy with it. I have heard very good things about Ashcroft as well as all of the other builders/developers that people put down in here.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2009, 9:24 AM

Very nice reply. Finally, a breath of fresh air in this forum about condo's, condo developers etc ...

I definitely agree that it seems that there is a certain prejudice against certain builders (Claridge) in favour of others. This can be cracked up to biased opinions of a certain builder, when in reality - like the post above states ... all buildings have some problems. Yes, even Charlesfort has flooded aswell (Glasgow), omg I said it - duck and cover for the incoming stones.

Funny you mention 90 George as it is right down the street from where I bought, but I guess because it is double the price - they don't assume the same "homeless problems" as we Claridge owners are subjected too. Hmm, getting a little flamey - I know, I'll stop!

Anyways, I will keep you posted on my experience as I move in (in about a year and a half ). I'll be as honest as possible.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 7:46 PM

AznHalf... there are some excellent points in this thread and several others I beg to differ with but my experience has been that a second tower is always better than the first regardless of the builder. Design and engineering issues have been addressed, trades that don't perform get replaced, and people involved with the first tower are now "well practiced". In the case of CPI vs CPII the plumbing contractor has been changed, great effort is being put into leveling the slabs, and several finishing contractors are being replaced which are the three main areas people use to points fingers. I'm willing to bet that by the time Claridge gets to CPIII that the building will almost assemble itself and CPIV will just appear already built one day.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 5:24 PM

I joined this forum because I too want to set the record straight and detail my experience as an owner (and inhabitant) of a condo in Claridge Plaza II.

Overall, my experience has been a positive one. I really enjoy the lifestyle that downtown living affords. Before I discuss the condo units themselves, I will first mention that these condos offer the best possible location in Ottawa. Yes - I said it, and I stand by it. I've lived in other parts of the city and nothing compares to the downtown lifestyle where you're close enough to walk just about any where you want to go.

Location (which is very important) aside, I'm happy with my unit. There are two of us living here currently, and it's the perfect size. For those of you "warning" about the renters in this building... I don't think your warnings are warranted. We like our neighbors, and we've never encountered any insurmountable issues with the people who live here. In fact, there is a unit on my floor that I'm aware of that's being rented out, but it's being rented to young professionals who work downtown. They're not paying cheap rent and they respect the place as if it were their own.

The interior finishings in our unit look elegant and professional. Claridge has put a new emphasis on design and customizable upgrades for purchasers, so that won't be something you need to worry about.

In terms of the overall quality of our unit, we have no complaints to date. I can't comment on the difference between towers 1 and 2 (since I've only ever lived in Plaza II) but I have no complaints .. in fact, I have only good things to say. I would recommend this builder.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2013, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellBell View Post
I joined this forum because I too want to set the record straight and detail my experience as an owner (and inhabitant) of a condo in Claridge Plaza II.

Overall, my experience has been a positive one. I really enjoy the lifestyle that downtown living affords. Before I discuss the condo units themselves, I will first mention that these condos offer the best possible location in Ottawa. Yes - I said it, and I stand by it. I've lived in other parts of the city and nothing compares to the downtown lifestyle where you're close enough to walk just about any where you want to go.

Location (which is very important) aside, I'm happy with my unit. There are two of us living here currently, and it's the perfect size. For those of you "warning" about the renters in this building... I don't think your warnings are warranted. We like our neighbors, and we've never encountered any insurmountable issues with the people who live here. In fact, there is a unit on my floor that I'm aware of that's being rented out, but it's being rented to young professionals who work downtown. They're not paying cheap rent and they respect the place as if it were their own.

The interior finishings in our unit look elegant and professional. Claridge has put a new emphasis on design and customizable upgrades for purchasers, so that won't be something you need to worry about.

In terms of the overall quality of our unit, we have no complaints to date. I can't comment on the difference between towers 1 and 2 (since I've only ever lived in Plaza II) but I have no complaints .. in fact, I have only good things to say. I would recommend this builder.
Thank you for your candid opinion - it's nice to hear from an owner.
Did you buy directly from the builder? Or resle?
If from the builder, can I ask when you bought - was it at the launch or once the building was in the midst of being built?
And lastly, what were the most notable deficiencies in your suite when you first occupied it? (All buildings have some)

Old Posted Mar 28, 2013, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer24 View Post
Thank you for your candid opinion - it's nice to hear from an owner.
Did you buy directly from the builder? Or resle?
If from the builder, can I ask when you bought - was it at the launch or once the building was in the midst of being built?
And lastly, what were the most notable deficiencies in your suite when you first occupied it? (All buildings have some)
Hey Jack (sorry if that's not your real name, lol),

I bought new, directly from the builder during construction. So I guess one complaint would be the delays. My move-in date was post-poned more than once, but luckily I was living with a friend at the time which made my living situation a little more flexible. My seemingly nebulous move-in date made buying furniture kinda tricky as well... yay for move-in headaches Aside from that, I am genuinely happy with my place and with the overall experience. There was a slight mix-up in terms of one of the upgrades they were supposed to install in my unit.... but that was pretty much the last of the headaches. My place sometimes seems a little cramped - but that might have more to do with my social life than it does the square footage lol! No place is perfect, but I like mine... I'm happy. How about you - are you in Claridge Plaza II?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion