HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 14, 2017, 1:21 AM

Wilmington - Residence at Mid-Town Park

From a few days ago:

Old Posted Oct 15, 2017, 4:13 PM
Hello

Early construction has begun on Topgolf Mount Laurel

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...ere/753880001/

Amazon may deliver hundreds more jobs to South Jersey

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...ton/758945001/

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 1:36 PM

King of Prussia Mall adds five more brands

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171016.html

Quote:
While online sales continue to surge, King of Prussia Mall keeps on trucking. Just over a year after adding 35 mostly luxury retailers for a big expansion, the mall will open in the coming months five more with either their debut store in Pennsylvania or first brick-and-mortar location.

The add-ons show how online firms are continuing to add physical stores and will swell the massive mall’s roster to over 450 retailers.

Two of the five new brands – cosmetics retailer NYX Professional Makeup and men’s underwear seller Tommy John — debut their first stores at the mall. NYX opened Sept. 29 while Tommy John debuts Oct. 27.

Three other stores — eco-friendly jeweler Alex & Ani, luxury home furniture seller Natuzzi Italia, and sneaker maven Kicks USA — will open in late November, next February, and April, respectively.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 2:52 PM

With a food and booze revolution, Phoenixville rises again

Quote:
Jared Adkins had a vision for his distillery: a sunny, inviting space, in a neighborhood where people could wander in to enjoy craft cocktails and learn about his spirits. As he explored the suburbs of Philadelphia in search of a home, his pitch was rejected four times.

Then he got to Phoenixville, where borough officials not only said yes, but put him in touch with the owner of a vacant building he’d seen on the way into town — and pretty much welcomed him with open arms.

Bluebird Distilling, which opened in 2015, was the first distillery in Phoenixville. But it’s only one piece of a movement that has turned the borough of 17,000 into a destination for eaters and drinkers, especially beer lovers. One half-mile stretch of Phoenixville’s downtown is now home to four breweries, three winery tasting rooms, Bluebird Distilling, and The Foodery, a store selling more than 1,000 choices of bottled beer.

Phoenixville is a robust example of a trend urban planners are seeing throughout the region and the country, said Karen Cilurso of the Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission: community rebirth built around food and drink.

“We’re seeing a food tourism sector now in more of these places,” she said. “People want an experience, to sit outside and watch people walk by, and they want to enjoy something that’s homegrown and affordable. The same way people don’t want to drive an hour to work, they don’t want to drive an hour to be entertained. And it’s so contributed to the revitalization of places like Phoenixville.”

Many such communities have blossomed outside of Philadelphia. Collingswood, N.J., is home to a restaurant boom years in the making, with more locally owned shops and eateries that draw customers from around the region. This year, West Chester was recognized by a national Main Street organization for its dining scene, which attracts food tourism and has powered that borough’s economy. Kennett Square, Ardmore, Conshohocken, Media, and Doylestown have all benefited from a surge of new restaurant activity.

In Phoenixville, these new establishments have created jobs, given the downtown new vibrancy, and attracted new residents. Home values are rising, and new luxury apartment buildings are filling up, with 2,000 more residential units planned. Phoenixville’s population, about 15,000 in 2004, is on track to hit 20,000 in the next five years, said Borough Manager Jean Krack.

More are on the way. The Conshohocken Brewery will expand to Phoenixville this year, and new brewery Rebel Hill plans to open as well. That’s in addition to Stable 12, Root Down, and restaurants like Guatemalan Kitchen, Vecchia Pizza, and Downtown Bangkok Cafe. Sly Fox, the pioneering brewhouse launched in Phoenixville in 1995, is just outside of the downtown area.
Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/food/ph...-20171016.html

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 10:52 PM

Wilmington: 101 Avenue of the Arts

I rarely get down to the Riverfront, but I took a walk down today on my lunch break for these shots.

Phase I (shown): 68-unit, 4-story apartment building
Phase II: 135-unit, 8-story apartment building

http://liveaota.com

Right on the riverwalk:

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
I rarely get down to the Riverfront, but I took a walk down today on my lunch break for these shots.

Phase I (shown): 68-unit, 4-story apartment building
Phase II: 135-unit, 8-story apartment building

http://liveaota.com

Right on the riverwalk:

8 stories!? The rendering shows an 11 story building. If they downsized the building, I'm going to be so mad

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 12:17 PM

Looking good on the Riverfront.

I think the biggest thing is that there's another developer building, investing down there now (Capano) -- since the early 1990s, it was only a Buccini/Pollin Group enterprise (as with much of Downtown).

I've noticed Capano has bought-up and renovated a lot of apartments on Delaware Ave. heading into to Trolley Square (their signs are everywhere).

If the Midtown apartment project from B/P Group leases out quickly, maybe Capano will try to move into downtown as well. ...we shall see.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:19 PM

Wilmington: MKT Place

Putting the finishing touches on this apartment conversion on 9th Street between Orange and Tatnall, right next to the Residences at Mid-Town Park project:

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 12:59 AM

Group forms to back rail to King of Prussia as vital city-suburban link

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171017.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:00 AM

Subaru sign goes up at new Camden HQ

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/news/su...-20171017.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:35 AM

Always wondered why University of Delaware never made much presence in downtown Wilmington. You look at University City (Penn/Drexel) and it's effect on Philly, or NYU and how it exists within Manhattan.... A few buildings and you would really feel the effect of UD in Wilmington, and the jobs, infrastructure and housing demand it would bring would benefit everyone.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 1:57 PM

^Well, how to address this and stay PC... UD is about as white bread a school as it gets. Remember they wouldn't even play DelState (the historically black college) in football until the last decade. Still to this day, UD gets criticized for its lack of diversity. When I went there, early 2000s, it was still 91% white. I don't think UD ever had much interest getting involved with the City of Wilmington. At one time, some UD classes were offered at DelTech in the city, but that's about as far as UD ever went to engaging the city.
(The UD Wilm. campus is just outside city limits, near the lily-white private school, Tower Hill ($30,000/per year for high school), as you head up Kennett Pike (Rt. 52) to the old-money chateau country of Greenville (the most affluent community in Delaware).

Wilmington should've gotten Wilmington University to build it's new campus in the city, instead... Wilm U is building a suburban campus on Concord Pike.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
^Well, how to address this and stay PC... UD is about as white bread a school as it gets. Remember they wouldn't even play DelState (the historically black college) in football until the last decade. Still to this day, UD gets criticized for its lack of diversity. When I went there, early 2000s, it was still 91% white. I don't think UD ever had much interest getting involved with the City of Wilmington. At one time, some UD classes were offered at DelTech in the city, but that's about as far as UD ever went to engaging the city.
(The UD Wilm. campus is just outside city limits, near the lily-white private school, Tower Hill ($30,000/per year for high school), as you head up Kennett Pike (Rt. 52) to the old-money chateau country of Greenville (the most affluent community in Delaware).

Wilmington should've gotten Wilmington University to build it's new campus in the city, instead... Wilm U is building a suburban campus on Concord Pike.
I agree with mostly everything you've said, and I especially agree that instead of building a campus off of Concord Pike, to add it to downtown or the riverfront in Wilmington. I will say though that I think that UD or Wilmington U could really succeed in Wilmington, and also help benefit the city too. But of course, we just are getting apartments here, and why apartments and not condos because you can't own apartments, so that would distract people who are looking to live here (Not like there is much of an incentive here right now anyway).

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
Always wondered why University of Delaware never made much presence in downtown Wilmington. You look at University City (Penn/Drexel) and it's effect on Philly, or NYU and how it exists within Manhattan.... A few buildings and you would really feel the effect of UD in Wilmington, and the jobs, infrastructure and housing demand it would bring would benefit everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
I agree with mostly everything you've said, and I especially agree that instead of building a campus off of Concord Pike, to add it to downtown or the riverfront in Wilmington. I will say though that I think that UD or Wilmington U could really succeed in Wilmington, and also help benefit the city too. But of course, we just are getting apartments here, and why apartments and not condos because you can't own apartments, so that would distract people who are looking to live here (Not like there is much of an incentive here right now anyway).
1.) Penn, Drexel, and NYU started in their respective cities. UDel has been located in Newark for well over 100 years. It's like comparing apples and oranges
2.) A few satellite locations have popped up in Philly over the past ~10 years (Temple, Villanova, Penn St?). I don't believe any are all that big..as in a few floors of a building. Temple probably the biggest at 6 floors. It takes a large mass of workers and residents to command a center city satellite location. Has Wilmington had that mass within the past 10 years as the commercial and residential dynamics ebb and flow?
3.)Online classes are becoming more prevalent and lessen the need for satellite locations in convenient locations. I know a friend getting an MBA at UNC and 90% of it is remote. He only needs to be there once a quarter.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:30 PM

Just when things couldn't possibly get more absurd

Delaware County, Chester City to compete for Amazon's HQ2

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171018.html

Old Posted Oct 18, 2017, 6:33 PM

Nearly 200 jobs affected with Walmart store closure in Bucks County

Read more here:
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...o-layoffs.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:13 AM

lol - the ridiculousness grows

Add Bristol Township to the list of Philly neighbors vying for Amazon's HQ2

Read more here:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...-20171019.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 1:37 AM

Wilmington / DE recruitment video

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 5:58 AM

Officials hope $70M facility continues Camden's 'eds and meds' growth

Quote:
CAMDEN -- Until it was cleared out in summer 2016, one side of this stretch of Broadway leading up to Martin Luther King Boulevard contained shops selling shoes and clothes, along with a nail salon. Health and education buildings towered over them.
Now, construction is slated to begin on a $70 million extension of the "eds and meds" in Camden; the Joint Health Sciences Center, to be shared by Rutgers-Camden, Rowan University and Camden County College.

The leaders of these educational institutions, Gov. Chris Christie and U.S. Rep. Donald Norcross, as well as several Camden city and county officials, gathered at the construction site along Broadway on Thursday to talk about the building and the city. Camden is counting on educational and medical institutions to create jobs for residents and to make the city a more desirable place to live. Already, 33 percent of the jobs in Camden are in health or education, according to a report provided by the Rowan University/Rutgers-Camden Board of Governors.

"We want to invest in the education New Jersey students can get and make sure the brain drain doesn't kill us, but in fact is reversed, and we keep people here," Christie told the crowd. He spoke after pulling up in a black Chevrolet Suburban and posing for pictures while shoveling some dirt at the groundbreaking.

(After being introduced as "your governor, for a few more months, anyway," Christie took the microphone and quipped: "89 days, not that I'm counting or anything.")

The four-story, 95,000-square-foot facility, which should be completed by spring 2019, would contain laboratories and classroom space along with common areas shared among students and faculty from the three education tenants. It will be made up of two joined buildings
More at http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2...tinue_eds.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2017, 10:48 AM
Hello

Camden County unveils proposed Amazon HQ2 site

http://www.courierpostonline.com/sto...ite/781339001/

There are 12 images in the article.

Camden may win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations