HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 16, 2013, 5:11 PM

^ The other trend that may influence Maine population is the ever growing Boston CSA.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 10:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I know its a big bump, but just for the sake of seeing where we are at. Source is from the Census Population Clock.

Quote:
1. China 1,367,485,388
2. India 1,251,695,584
3. United States 321,368,864
4. Indonesia 255,993,674
5. Brazil 204,259,812
6. Pakistan 199,085,847
7. Nigeria 181,562,056
8. Bangladesh 168,957,745
9. Russia 142,423,773
10. Japan 126,919,659

Quote:
The United States population on July 4, 2015 was: 321,442,019
Current Clock (1/31/2016;Time: 1700): 322,917,262

Quote:
One birth every 8 seconds
One death every 10 seconds
One international migrant (net) every 29 seconds
Net gain of one person every 17 seconds
States: (Population 2015/pop per sq mile)

Quote:
California 39,144,818 251.3
Texas 27,469,114 105.1
Florida 20,271,272 378.0
New York 19,795,791 420.1
Illinois 12,859,995 231.6
Pennsylvania 12,802,503 286.1
Ohio 11,613,423 284.2
Georgia 10,214,860 177.4
North Carolina 10,042,802 206.6
Michigan 9,922,576 175.5
Density: (Population 2015/pop per sq mile)

Quote:
District of Columbia 672,228 10,994.0
New Jersey 8,958,013 1,218.0
Rhode Island 1,056,298 1,021.7
Massachusetts 6,794,422 870.9
Connecticut 3,590,886 741.5
Maryland 6,006,401 618.6
Delaware 945,934 485.4
New York 19,795,791 420.1
Florida 20,271,272 378.0
Pennsylvania 12,802,503 286.1

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 1:48 AM
Show me the blueprints

Wow, thanks for posting. I had no idea India and China where getting so close. I foresee India eclipsing Chinaby the end of the decade as they remain a mostly impoverished high birth rate nation as China becomes wealthier with associated delaying of child birth later into life, even with taking the recent 2 child ban lift into consideration.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 5:39 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I know its a big bump, but just for the sake of seeing where we are at. Source is from the Census Population Clock.

Current Clock (1/31/2016;Time: 1700): 322,917,262

States: (Population 2015/pop per sq mile)

Density: (Population 2015/pop per sq mile)
that rapidly spinning/escalating world population is unnerving!

Roughly 3 net people per second.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:14 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i always forget that the united states is that populous, and the midwest could handle another 50-60 million, probably. everybody wants to live in the places where they bitch about "too many people," though.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:51 PM
Never Dell

Drivers bitch about too many people. And affordability is affected if zoning doesn't allow enough growth.

But urbanists often love more people. Density and continuous improvement are a key benefit of a big, prosperous city.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i always forget that the united states is that populous, and the midwest could handle another 50-60 million, probably.
the fact that theres the space for all those people ignores the fact there arent the resources to sustain them.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 7:46 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
the fact that theres the space for all those people ignores the fact there arent the resources to sustain them.
well, there are resources to sustain them, but certainly not in the current arrangement. in my opinion, the best case scenario is that the bulk of the US population growth does happen in the midwest, but that aint happening. if we actually grew more food in the midwest, and preserved more vegetables through the winter instead of a quadrillion bushels of horse corn...

http://www.prb.org

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
if we actually grew more food in the midwest, and preserved more vegetables through the winter instead of a quadrillion bushels of horse corn...
..]
our current arrangment is grossly negligent. Most of America's farmland is devoted to commodity crops, and most of that just to corn and soybeans. I forget the obnoxious % of land that is devoted to those two but it's pretty high. Thanks to that we get high fructose corn syrup and all manner of fake food that takes a toll on our health.

I'd like to see a cut in subsidies, a return to smaller, more variable farms. With you know, people that work them instead of giant tractors. That's the theory anyway.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:05 AM
Show me the blueprints

Imagine how much better utilized infrastructure and public transport would be if Chicago clocked in at 4 million; St. Louis city 1,000,000; Cleveland 1,200,000; Detroit 2,250,000 to name just a few with smaller cities beefing up their respective city pops—taking full advantage of their, in many cases, unnecessary, overextended and unsustainable sprawling auto based geographies. Midwestern cities would thrive with the addition of that kind of population focused on city prospers with the business and tax bases they would bring.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:23 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^^

I try not to think about that because it only makes me envy others in the world.

Had we not indulged and become wasteful in terms of expanding outside of city cores since the 50's, our cities would of flourished even more so then they are now. Much bigger, a lot more dynamic, fun, centers of even more culture, better looking, models of transit for others to learn from, ect..

Just some 1950's figures from the Census

HTML Code:
    1   New York city, NY *......  7,891,957   
    2   Chicago city, IL.........  3,620,962   
    3   Philadelphia city, PA....  2,071,605   
    4   Los Angeles city, CA.....  1,970,358   
    5   Detroit city, MI.........  1,849,568   
    6   Baltimore city, MD.......    949,708   
    7   Cleveland city, OH.......    914,808    
    8   St. Louis city, MO.......    856,796   
    9   Washington city, DC......    802,178    
   10   Boston city, MA..........    801,444    

11   San Francisco city, CA...    775,357    
   12   Pittsburgh city, PA......    676,806    
   13   Milwaukee city, WI.......    637,392    
   14   Houston city, TX.........    596,163   
   15   Buffalo city, NY.........    580,132    
   16   New Orleans city, LA.....    570,445   
   17   Minneapolis city, MN.....    521,718    
   18   Cincinnati city, OH......    503,998    
   19   Seattle city, WA.........    467,591    
   20   Kansas City city, MO.....    456,622
Had they kept growing, a Philly at 3 million or a Chicago at 5 million.... . Who knows how NYC would of turned out, but probably 10 or 11 million in 315 sq miles. Sprawl has only set us backwards, and killed any sort of desire for meaningful transit along with making the U.S. a less friendlier, and often loner type society. Sad when people barely know their neighbors anymore. There is no sense of community in these blocks full of houses that all look the same.

What could of been with Detroit.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:43 AM
Show me the blueprints

Here here. Couldn't have said it better.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Sad when people barely know their neighbors anymore. There is no sense of community in these blocks full of houses that all look the same.
most inner city neighborhoods have identical housing too that all went up at once.

i think its unfair to say people dont have a sense of community in suburban areas, since im sure many do. and im sure there are just as many inner city neighborhoods that are now comprised mostly of transitory transplants who never step away from their big screens and smartphones. theres this idealized notion that everyone in big cities is just sitting on their front stoops greeting passerbys all day, and everyone in the suburbs is hiding in fear. i just dont think either is true.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 9:51 PM

Quote:
most inner city neighborhoods have identical housing too that all went up at once.

i think its unfair to say people dont have a sense of community in suburban areas, since im sure many do. and im sure there are just as many inner city neighborhoods that are now comprised mostly of transitory transplants who never step away from their big screens and smartphones. theres this idealized notion that everyone in big cities is just sitting on their front stoops greeting passerbys all day, and everyone in the suburbs is hiding in fear. i just dont think either is true.
The beauty of living in a city is not having to know your neighbors! In Cities people get to pick their friends...and it isn't always by virtue of living in the house next door. Got almost 100% of my life time friends from the cities I've lived in. Also, great observation about houses looking the same....like that isn't a new invention....row house...lol. (suburbs are pretty sucky though).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 4:13 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
The beauty of living in a city is not having to know your neighbors! In Cities people get to pick their friends...and it isn't always by virtue of living in the house next door. Got almost 100% of my life time friends from the cities I've lived in. Also, great observation about houses looking the same....like that isn't a new invention....row house...lol. (suburbs are pretty sucky though).
Completely agree. I have really no desire to know any of my neighbors, and I would guess in 2016, very few people living in our most urban cities are interested in a "sense of community".

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:00 PM
Never Dell

Agreed.

I have nothing against my neighbors (except the assholes with the barking dog across the hall) but I like to have some separation. I've had maybe two or three knocks on my door max in several years in this building, and that's awesome.

PS, I'm a homeowner.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Completely agree. I have really no desire to know any of my neighbors, and I would guess in 2016, very few people living in our most urban cities are interested in a "sense of community".
i think that depends who you are and what your age is. if you are a homeowner rather than a renter, i suspect that changes quite a bit. for better or worse, this is why transient renters tend to get framed in a negative light by longtime residents.

fwiw, im a renter and love knowing my neighbors. the opera singer across the hall. the sweet Mexican family with a little daughter who likes to play with my cat when i let it explore the hallway. the freelance journalist 2 floors down. the kids who leave artwork up in the laundry room. no im not best friends with any of these people, but we all know each other and it does feel very homey.

i guess my point is simply, there are just as many people in the suburbs who live anonymous lives as there are in big cities, and vice versa.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Feb 10, 2016 at 5:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:44 PM
Closed account

Quote:
i think that depends who you are and what your age is. if you are a homeowner rather than a renter, i suspect that changes quite a bit. for better or worse, this is why transient renters tend to get framed in a negative light by longtime residents.

fwiw, im a renter and love knowing my neighbors. the opera singer across the hall. the sweet Mexican family with a little daughter who likes to play with my cat when i let it explore the hallway. the freelance journalist 2 floors down. the kids who leave artwork up in the laundry room. no im not best friends with any of these people, but we all know each other and it does feel very homey.

i guess my point is simply, there are just as many people in the suburbs who live anonymous lives as there are in big cities, and vice versa.
Absolutely, I'm a 33 year old home owner, and have no interest in developing a "howdy neighbor" type relationship with anyone in close proximity to me. The things you point out about your neighbors would annoy me. Maybe i'm just an asshole

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 8:57 PM
devout Pizzatarian

i live in a 6-flat in edgewater and i really like knowing and socializing with my neighbors. it helps that 5 of the 6 units in our building all consist of youngish couples with small children, so we all have a lot in common by that virtue alone. the 6th unit is occpied by an older childless gay couple and they're like the grandpas of the building.

once you start having kids, you also start spending a SHITLOAD more time at home (unless you're rich and can afford a babysitter every night), so it's nice to be in a building where we can hang out with our neighbors, trading dinner hosting get togethers, built-in play dates for the little ones, BYOM grill-outs in the back yard, etc.

it's fun way to live now that i'm in the familyhood stage of my life.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Feb 10, 2016 at 9:10 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2016, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Absolutely, I'm a 33 year old home owner, and have no interest in developing a "howdy neighbor" type relationship with anyone in close proximity to me. The things you point out about your neighbors would annoy me. Maybe i'm just an asshole
im not sure whats "annoying" about any of it. at a bare minimum, theres a safety factor and it helps to know who belongs in the building and who dosent. casually greeting people in the halls like a normal human being i dont think is an undue hardship, but to each their own i guess.

of course i think a lot depends on who your neighbors are, and yes, if you have kids. i like the people in my building, and its a big reason i continue to resign mu lease. growing up, everyone on my block had kids and we basically all formed friendships doing the things all kids did at the time...leaving the house at 9 in the morning, meeting up somewhere within a couple blocks to play, and coming home when the sun set. by default our parents all knew each other too and were involved. my parents still have the same house and know most people on the block. but the trend has definitely been as theyve become empty nesters, and more childless couples move in, those bonds have begun to weaken. after i moved, they loved having a next door neighbor with 3 small kids (esp since i have none), and kind of became grandparent type figures. they would gift them my old toys, the kids would come over to their house to show a drawing they made or what have you. it was really sweet, and its always hit them hard when those sorts of families eventually move.

Last edited by Via Chicago; Feb 10, 2016 at 9:27 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions