HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
For the most part restrictions on parking in the neighbourhoods surrounding the LRT are there because people compained, not because the city decided that no one should be able to park there
Pretty much. The city institutes the resident parking zones near the LRT stations by default because every community in the past has complained and asked for it when they didn't.

And in the case of Scenic Acres, the reason the bus gate is there is because the residents complained about the original plan which didn't have it there as they didn't want increased traffic in their neighborhood, so the city responded by walling off the park and ride. And then the residents complained again about the lack of pedestrian access through the fences that were built, and the fences were modified to have additional gates and cross walks.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 5:12 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Keep up the fight Yahoo - I agree with most of your points.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:42 PM
Here and There

http://images.toocharger.com/img/gra...sees.72743.jpg

Would it be possible for Calgary to re-examine its downtown area roadways and come up with a concept like this for a couple major roadways in the inner city? This would be a much more grand entrance into our city! We have already (in a way) done this to 16th ave NW and memorial Drive.

9th ave SW should be a 2 way all the way from inglewood to Bow trail and they should think of a more aesthetically pleasing and functional plan to move people west out of the
downtown. It really seems like there is a really simple way to utilize the massive interchange but still find a new
way to connect everything. Crowchild trail should have a massive lane reversal (like 97th ave in Edmonton) and the intechanges need
to stop making people criss cross all over the place. That would buy us quite a bit more time. We have already updated many of these
bridges, no point in tearing them down just yet.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 6:52 PM
Here and There

Im seriously going to sit down one day and figure this west end spaghetti out one day. I think crowchild can use an additional lane in some areas but that is about it. We dont need to get carried away and create induced demand.

Induced demand can be simplified by comparing it to using paper towels.....If you put them on the counter, they will be used, but you can easily live without them and live a more sustainable lifestyle.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kw5150 View Post

Im seriously going to sit down one day and figure this west end spaghetti out one day. I think crowchild can use an additional lane in some areas but that is about it. We dont need to get carried away and create induced demand.

Induced demand can be simplified by comparing it to using paper towels.....If you put them on the counter, they will be used, but you can easily live without them and live a more sustainable lifestyle.
We also don't need to design our city to make it easy for the French army to march in and put down revolutionaries. The Champs Elysees is neat and all but it really is a scar across Paris.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:16 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I'd like to see the 16th ave/Memorial Dr treatment applied to Centre st south of 16th ave. Also Macleod Trail north of Cemetery hill and 9th ave west of Inglewood, although the latter two in conjunction with redevelopment across from Erlton station and redevelopment of the East Village respectively, so for now likely just Centre.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:56 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
We also don't need to design our city to make it easy for the French army to march in and put down revolutionaries. The Champs Elysees is neat and all but it really is a scar across Paris.
Lol, sure whatever. That street is unreal, no matter how it evolved. Fortunately our roads are already that wide.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:02 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Lol, sure whatever. That street is unreal, no matter how it evolved. Fortunately our roads are already that wide.
Actually the rights-of-way for many of our roads, Macleod Trail included, are far narrower than the Champs. Champs is about 65m from property line to property line, whereas Macleod Trail is typically around 27m or so. Not saying that we shouldn't be investing in better sidewalks and streetscapes in general. But to have a similar situation as the Champs in Calgary is near impossible.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 8:25 PM
effete latte-lifter

Someone on this forum once suggested something live the Champs to be built over the CPR mainline from the Palliser Hotel west, I thought it was a pretty cool idea actually, as something to imagine, Then I guess Bow Trail and Crowchild would dump out onto that.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:05 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Actually the rights-of-way for many of our roads, Macleod Trail included, are far narrower than the Champs. Champs is about 65m from property line to property line, whereas Macleod Trail is typically around 27m or so. Not saying that we shouldn't be investing in better sidewalks and streetscapes in general. But to have a similar situation as the Champs in Calgary is near impossible.
Thank you for the information, 65m is really wide.

I mean generally our roads are wide. I know now that champs is impossible. I am suggesting a hybrid model. I was thinking that some area could actually be near 65m wide and incorporate plazas and the rest of the widths would be based on site specific constraints.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 10:08 PM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
Someone on this forum once suggested something live the Champs to be built over the CPR mainline from the Palliser Hotel west, I thought it was a pretty cool idea actually, as something to imagine, Then I guess Bow Trail and Crowchild would dump out onto that.
I was thinking about the rail line running through downtown as well. How cool would that be? I would definitely miss the rail running through downtown, it has a great effect to making our city seem older than it is. I like that crashing noise when the trains start/ stop, but I'm sure MANY could live without it!

EDIT: I see now that you said "built over".............I thought you meant rail torn out.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 11:18 PM

Quote:
I was thinking about the rail line running through downtown as well. How cool would that be? I would definitely miss the rail running through downtown, it has a great effect to making our city seem older than it is. I like that crashing noise when the trains start/ stop, but I'm sure MANY could live without it!

EDIT: I see now that you said "built over".............I thought you meant rail torn out.
It would be interesting to see what could be done if the heavy rail lines downtown were diverted elsewhere (or moved underground in a massively expensive project). I thought there were plans at various times in history to move the tracks but it never worked out. (I'm not sure how practical it would be to move them in a Stoney Trail like bypass).

While I'm dreaming, the commuter in me would like a new transportation corridor of some sort if the heavy tracks ever went away, but instead making it into a green thin "central park" type area could really attract people to the inner city and be a showcase for downtown if it was done right. The land would be too valuable to turn into a park but it would be cool if it happened. But then again, there was also talk about using the heavy rail lines for commuter trains into downtown, so if that happened I'd say the chances of us losing the downtown trains is about zero.

There was talk today about the city possibly buying up the Paskapoo slopes. It would be cool if they made a "nice" entrance to the city, especially considering the road to the mountains is a main tourist corridor. I'd rather see interesting art and landscaping (even if it is eventually a freeway), then a bunch of retail stores lining the road leading into the city. (Tourists I hosted from Australia loved our spruce trees). I guess if it doesn't work out then perhaps some sort of theme standard for the building designs along the main roads leading into the city, like the western theme they seem to be pushing in Cochrane (we could go western, sandstone, Olympic, or something interesting that's a bit unique to Calgary rather than the square warehouse and big parking lot look) I'm always a bit excited driving into a city I haven't been to, but it's pretty rare when it isn't a letdown.

Last edited by Yahoo; Feb 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 11:50 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

The main plan was to put them along the banks of the bow where the bike paths are now (along with a freeway I believe).

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 12:19 AM
effete latte-lifter

Quote:

In my dream world, commuter rail and LRT run below this BLVD and a showstopper of a multi model Central Transit Station (commuter rail, LRT and a central bus station) is built around the base of the Calgary Tower.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 12:59 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
In each of the two years before the Glenmore/Elbow/5th St interchange opened, the average annual daily traffic on Glenmore between Macleod and Elbow was 81,000 vehicles a day. In each of the two years since the interchange opened, the AADT in the same location was 94,000 vehicles per day. That's a 16% increase on a road not located near any new development, and it's from a stable level both before and after; i.e. it's not a trend, it's the new capacity being filled up as it was created, i.e. it's induced demand.
False conclusion. Or at least built with incomplete data. I used to avoid Glenmore like the plague, but since GE5 I take it regularly. For the exact same trips I did before. This isn't induced demand, it's shifted demand from other roadways. Surely I'm not the only Calgarian this applies to.

You really have to look at traffic patterns as a whole to see if GE5 has actually induced demand. Because if 13,000 cars a day have been shifted from other routes, there's nothing "induced" whatsoever.

Quote:
Also, it's not like planners are some sort of mythical half-lion half-badger creature that only survives in climate-controlled pods. They're people who also live in the city. So they're both end users and planners.
No, but I highly doubt a planner who lives in the NE and drives to work every day has much of a clue of what the commuter experience on the NWLRT is like. I find it hard to believe any city planner has the time to drive every road, ride every train, walk every sidewalk in the city - which is why we end up with some pretty bizarre choices sometimes, and why a lot of the public distrusts "planners" as an entity. No one person (or small group of people) can know everything. Hence the need for public consultation.

Incidentally, I find the previous "Stalin" reference baffling - the Stalinist system was entirely designed around central planning. It was the exact opposite of sending planners to Siberia - he and his bureaucracy basically ignored what local people already knew, and went ahead and tried to design a society and country with some pretty stupid ideas. Comparing our poster Yahoo's ideas to Stalin's methods is entirely nonsensical. They're diametrically opposed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 1:00 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersar View Post
And in the case of Scenic Acres, the reason the bus gate is there is because the residents complained about the original plan which didn't have it there as they didn't want increased traffic in their neighborhood, so the city responded by walling off the park and ride. And then the residents complained again about the lack of pedestrian access through the fences that were built, and the fences were modified to have additional gates and cross walks.
And this is one of those instances when the public needs to be ignored. Because those complaints stemmed entirely from NIMBY concerns and not legitimate reasons.

Incidentally, I'm watching a NIMBY battle potentially shaping up in Royal Oak right now. Some company wants to put an oil/gas well behind the Wal-Mart. Many of my friends and co-workers are absolutely convinced that my hypocrisy will finally show itself, as I get all NIMBY'd up. My response: oil and gas are what gives me a great salary, low taxes, and phenomenal infrastructure. Build more, please. Put one literally in my backyard if it helps my province's prosperity.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 4:09 AM
Here and There

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
False conclusion. Or at least built with incomplete data. I used to avoid Glenmore like the plague, but since GE5 I take it regularly. For the exact same trips I did before. This isn't induced demand, it's shifted demand from other roadways. Surely I'm not the only Calgarian this applies to.

You really have to look at traffic patterns as a whole to see if GE5 has actually induced demand. Because if 13,000 cars a day have been shifted from other routes, there's nothing "induced" whatsoever.

No, but I highly doubt a planner who lives in the NE and drives to work every day has much of a clue of what the commuter experience on the NWLRT is like. I find it hard to believe any city planner has the time to drive every road, ride every train, walk every sidewalk in the city - which is why we end up with some pretty bizarre choices sometimes, and why a lot of the public distrusts "planners" as an entity. No one person (or small group of people) can know everything. Hence the need for public consultation.

Incidentally, I find the previous "Stalin" reference baffling - the Stalinist system was entirely designed around central planning. It was the exact opposite of sending planners to Siberia - he and his bureaucracy basically ignored what local people already knew, and went ahead and tried to design a society and country with some pretty stupid ideas. Comparing our poster Yahoo's ideas to Stalin's methods is entirely nonsensical. They're diametrically opposed.
Once again planner bashing. Im sure they would know a great deal more than the average commuter.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 5:49 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Totally agree - Glenmore is 10X better than it used to be.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 8:36 AM

Quote:

Not that you don't have a point here, but trying to disprove a point in general using anecdotal information (something, I must point out, you do habitiually) is not sufficient either.

If we want to get technical, the broader term would be generated traffic, encompassing both shifted and induced demand. It is probably likely that more of the increase you see there is shifted, but it is impossible to discount that a portion of that is also induced (trips shifted from other modes, or trips now taken that weren't at all taken before.) Not that there were overly attractive alternatives to begin with in this case, in the long-run, this simply garauntees that future alternatives (if ever they were provided) are then harder to provide feasibly. Again, contributing to the nice little circle of supply and demand in road transportation.

And since we are considering the whole network: Didn't this all stem from a nice discussion on expanding Crowchild due to its ever increasing congestion? Since we are talking about a particular trip being made from the NW part of the city, and it is very likely that that isn't the only one, the question arises of how that driver gets from their to the GE5 in the first place... Crowchild trail is a rather safe assumption here. Strange, now it also requires a more urgent increased LOS.

Sure, we could do that. The most appropriate solution being something that at the very least that mirrors the GE5, but also with increasing the capacity of off-ramps (or their elimination...) further up ahead. I don't think a ball park of a cool billion here would be that far off. Or we could stop doing that and provide alternatives that then retain viability.

I'm thereby going to counter another point recently stated. That being that money should be spent on both roads and transit/alternatives. It is a broad statement but I'm going to go ahead and contend that if this includes road capacity increases of any significance through hard infrastructure anywhere in the inner (inner-middle) city, this is not a good idea. It is a further trap to making you have to spend more on both roads and alternatives, and a further addition to the nice little vicious circle.

Here is a little shocker - we can't have it all, and we already have more than enough expensive and subsidized/externality producing roads.

Let's not touch any long term effects here.

Quote:
Very true. They can provide valuable insight into overlooked or unforeseen aspects of a plan or project. Yet, I don't think that should necessarily mean that the public's opinion necessarily needs to be acted on. The public, strangely enough, tends to act on individual interests and not that of society as a whole. Planning might be perceived as "social-engineering" or whatever happens to be the word of the day, until that individual is the one being negatively effected. (I guess in that regard, planners a little bit like the police.) Secondly, even if they aren't always acting on individual interest, it doesn't mean they fully understand the issue from a broad perspective. I don't want to explicitly say I'm right in the above case, but try, for example telling the people of Calgary that the way to reduce traffic issues in the long term is by not increasing capacity...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 3:47 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim View Post
Not that you don't have a point here, but trying to disprove a point in general using anecdotal information (something, I must point out, you do habitiually) is not sufficient either.
Actually, with the number of absolutes stated in a forum such as this, disproof by counter-example is more than sufficient in most cases. But I'm not so much trying to "disprove" anything here, rather make people actually think about what they're saying. Jumping to the conclusion of "induced demand!" every time road usage goes up is silly. It's on par with "it's colder today, therefore global warming is fake!".

Maybe 13,000 cars are induced. Maybe 3,000. Maybe zero. We can't come to a reasonable conclusion based on one data point, however we can show that not every single one of them is induced.

Quote:
Very true. They can provide valuable insight into overlooked or unforeseen aspects of a plan or project. Yet, I don't think that should necessarily mean that the public's opinion necessarily needs to be acted on. The public, strangely enough, tends to act on individual interests and not that of society as a whole. Planning might be perceived as "social-engineering" or whatever happens to be the word of the day, until that individual is the one being negatively effected. (I guess in that regard, planners a little bit like the police.) Secondly, even if they aren't always acting on individual interest, it doesn't mean they fully understand the issue from a broad perspective. I don't want to explicitly say I'm right in the above case, but try, for example telling the people of Calgary that the way to reduce traffic issues in the long term is by not increasing capacity...
Absolutely. Witness the stupidity of the Scenic Acres access to the Crowfoot LRT station. To put it bluntly, the (vocal part of the) public was WRONG.

However, planners aren't gods. They're human and subject to the same biases and foils as the rest of us. In many cases in the past, I've seen planning done in ways that make me wonder if people are taking some powerful drugs. Or less facetiously, if realities are being overridden by ideology or political motivations. It's like in the business world when a random MBA is tasked to manage something - a company, a department, a team, whatever. Sometimes it works. And often it bombs miserably, because said MBA has pretty much zero clue about the people and processes s/he's managing. I'm not talking about social engineering or some other buzzword - I just think that a lot of the time, an incomplete understanding and/or improper motivations are to blame.

Remember, "planners" (as a profession/group) are the ones who got us into this mess with our roads in the first place. I highly doubt that every single one of them in the past was wrong about everything, and every single one of them today is right. Planners were the ones who wanted to blast a massive freeway right through the core of Calgary not 50 years ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure