HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
We should try to get the 2026 games (if not the 2026 Winter Olympics ), the 200th anniversary of the founding of Bytown and start of construction of the Rideau Canal.
Are the hills high enough at Tremblant for this?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
You are thinking of the Guggenheim. That was Wright. MOMA is a collection of buildings by different architects. I agree with McC on this, that buildings are not purely art but craft. I don't like the ROM for some of the reasons stated, it puts form first while ignoring many other things. I don't believe Ottawa needs flashy starchitecture like that to make it more legit or interesting. Dense, urban, vibrant and walkable street's, neighbourhoods, etc... would be a good start I think.
Ah, you are right; I have changed it.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 6:41 PM

Reminded me of parts of this thread:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/stu...view:1:Default
Quote:
Study Finds Earth Located In Lamest Part Of Universe

PARIS—Citing factors ranging from the dumb, ugly asteroid belt separating the terrestrial planets from the gas giants, to the super-boring and practically empty interstellar medium extending in nearly every direction, new research published Wednesday by the International Astronomical Union has concluded that Earth is located in “by far the lamest” region of the observable universe. “Despite years of intensive analysis, we have failed to uncover even a single pulsar, black hole, lenticular galaxy, binary star system, quasar, or any other cool stuff within 50 light years of this stupid dump of a solar system,” read the study, which noted that to date, no telescope—either ground-based or in earth orbit—has been able to locate a portion of space more dull and tiresome than our own. “Maybe if we were a little closer to the center of the Milky Way galaxy instead of piddling away on one of its lame-ass outer arms, that’d be one thing, but we are right smack-dab in the middle of nowhere. All we’ve got is a bunch of crappy old cosmic background radiation and dumb-as-shit magnetic fields out here. Ugh.” The study’s authors added that they “so wish” they were on board one of the Voyager probes currently racing out of this mind-numbingly shitty planetary backwater.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2014, 12:04 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Tulip Festival named continent's best event

DANI-ELLE DUBE, Ottawa Sun

First posted: Thursday, September 11, 2014 01:36 PM EDT | Updated: Thursday, September 11, 2014 01:42 PM EDT

Every May 600,000 visitors come to Ottawa to revel in the beauty of the largest collection of tulips in the world, and now the Canadian Tulip Festival is being recognized as the best.

The American Bus Association (ABA), an organization whose membership provides the majority of motor coach tours across North America, has named the festival the 2015 Top Event of the Year and placed it among the top 100 destinations in North America.

"The real news here is that the festival has been recognized as a magnet for tourism dollars, and this honour gives Canada's Capital Region an important boost in visibility among professional tour planners," said ABA president and CEO Peter J. Pantuso, in a press release.

"The city is proud and pleased to be a strong supporter of the Festival and delighted at today's recognition by the ABA," said Ottawa Mayor Jim Watson

Because 2015 marks the festival's 70th anniversary of the Dutch liberation -- the source for the large number of tulips -- organizers are expecting attendance will surpass last year's record numbers.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2014/09/11/...nts-best-event

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 9:20 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa has to shed its image as a town that doesn't like fun
We have too many rules, too many controls, too much consultation and too complex a process. We’ve engineered the spontaneity out of our city.

Toon Dreessen
Publishing date: May 26, 2021 • 9 hours ago • 3 minute read

Ottawa has long held a reputation as a place that fun forgot. People who live here know that there is a lot to love about the city: its history, the Rideau Canal, proximity to parks and rivers, excellent clubs, museums and galleries all make Ottawa a great place.

More spontaneous fun things are harder to come by. We’ve created a process that makes it hard for small businesses to thrive and where the process is more important than the outcome.

In 2016, a local artist planned to give away free T-shirts celebrating Ottawa 2017 on Sparks Street, until the local Business Improvement Association (BIA) asked him to move, squashing a fun event to bring people together.

In 2017, business proposals to the NCC executive committee made a business case to open cafés at Remic Rapids, Confederation Park and Patterson Creek. In the summer of 2020, two opened; the Patterson Creek location, opposed by neighbours, has yet to see the light of day, though the NCC website indicates it may happen in 2021.

In each case, the cafés are only open for a few brief summer months. Despite the fact that Ottawa celebrates itself as a winter city, we can’t, somehow, imagine how people might want to enjoy a café in the spring or fall, or during winter months while skiing along the river or skating along the canal. Keeping public washrooms open, serving takeout and, yes, using patio heaters, could make these cafés fun additions to our city for most of the year.

More recently, Jerk on Wheels, a food truck with excellent Caribbean chicken and two locations, has run intro trouble. The one on Merivale Road continues, but the Bank Street location in Old Ottawa South has to close. According to social media posts from the owners, despite the business having all permissions in place, local restaurant franchises of Dairy Queen and Tim Hortons have objected to its presence.

Then there is the sad plight of Banana’s Beach Grill and Rum Shack, located on Petrie Island.

Its owners have spent 10 years investing in their space, building patios, creating a reputation (that earned them a Community Builder Award) and annually resubmitting applications to operate their business. This year, according to their Facebook post, they have learned that a single person in procurement at the City of Ottawa decided they did not meet some technical criteria and, therefore, they have to pack up their things and leave.

While this is being referred for review, which could take weeks, it leaves this Black-owned business in the lurch. Precious good weather, not to mention a long weekend, go by, making their business less viable by the day.

We need a reset.

We have too many rules, too many controls, too much consultation and too complex a process. We’ve engineered the fun out of our city.

Yes, we should have some consultation on new cafés or food trucks. But we need some limits. Communities should not have veto rights on where and how a business operates any more than they should have veto rights on a new development. We need more Yes In My Back Yard (YIMBY). More food trucks create a lively food culture, drawing people to businesses, shops and other cafés. A nearby fast-food place should no more have a veto on a food truck than I should have on whether another architect can open their business near my office.

We need to embrace our goals of being “world class” and allow the Banana Shack to reopen, and only re-apply after 10 or 15 years, like a normal business lease. We need more cafés, with public washrooms, at NCC and city parks.

They should be open year-round, or, at least, eight months of the year. Let’s let those businesses decide how to run their affairs in a way that they can manage. If we build the infrastructure, let them figure out how to make it work. And instead of punitive (“market rate”) rents, charge them modest rents based on their success.

Because if they succeed, drawing in people, creating a positive tourist image, supporting under-represented business owners, offering creative fare,and building community, shouldn’t that be something we support? If we want the city we aspire to, we need to rethink our approach.

Reform procurement to support local businesses. Engage in meaningful consultation within limits that respect the broader public interest. We need to take some risks that make our city dynamic, exciting and world-class.

Bring spontaneity and fun to our city. Be the city we aspire to be.

Toon Dreessen is an architect and president of Ottawa-based Architects DCA and is past president of the Ontario Association of Architects.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/dr...oesnt-like-fun

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 9:53 PM

Pretty much all good points. Especially the one about the Patterson Creek bistro. A few neighbours managed to drag that out for a couple of years. That shouldn’t be able to happen when the impact is so minimal (a small cafe, in a park, at least 100 m from any houses)

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 10:37 PM

So true. I can envisage committees being formed and public consultations being undertaken to give the issue more thought ...

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:41 AM

I wrote a similar piece for the Citizen a few weeks ago from the arts and culture perspective.

Quote:
Bourne: Yes, Ottawa can move from insipid to exciting

The Ottawa Board of Trade recently hosted a city building summit that included former chief city planner for the city of Toronto and mayoral candidate Jennifer Keesmaat, and city branding consultant Frank Cuypers.

“People see you as boring. People see you as a bunch of civil servants,” Cuypers noted, which got some in a tizzy, including writers at this very publication.

In a recent column, Kelly Egan asked, “Why is our boring(!) image something we need to ‘fix,’ anyway?”

How does a boring reputation help organizations like Invest Ottawa that are trying to attract companies to the city? How does that help attract immigrants and students? How does that help us to retain them once they graduate? How does that help our artists and talent?

Unlike cities such as Toronto and Montreal, Ottawa hasn’t truly leveraged the power of arts and culture. When I first saw the aforementioned summit advertised on Twitter, I responded by asking why an event about city-building and branding made no mention of arts and culture. I received no response.

When you look at what people around the world love about a city like Toronto, it’s not tech or finance — it’s the Toronto Raptors, Caribana, the Toronto International Film Festival, the Pride Parade, and acts such as Drake and The Weeknd, who are unofficial global ambassadors for the city. Toronto built its global reputation on culture, which has in turn attracted talent and investment in tech and finance.

Meanwhile, what are Ottawa’s main cultural offerings or exports? The ByWard Market? BeaverTails? Museums? Snore.

Now, as someone who is active in the local music scene and has served on local boards in film and music, I’ll admit that the Ottawa I live in isn’t boring. Prior to the pandemic, I went to a lot of shows and spent hours in recording studios with local artists who are getting major recognition both in Canada and the U.S. Decision-makers would be surprised to know how much of our recording studio conversations weren’t actually about music, but about city-building.

The problem is that those who are in charge of marketing and building the capital have no idea about the cool, exciting and vibrant Ottawa people like me experience everyday. I mean, how can they market an Ottawa they don’t even know exists?

On top of that, there are a lot of people in the capital who have no ambitions of Ottawa being a global city with a vibrant reputation. “Leave that to Toronto. We’ll be a quaint small town.” When it comes to design, we celebrate function over the wow factor.

And even when our leaders think about arts and culture, they talk about Alanis Morisette, Tom Green, Sandra Oh, and Brooke Henderson. Belly, who is one of Ottawa’s biggest musical exports, is signed to Jay-Z’s Roc Nation and who has written for stars like Beyoncé, has never been offered a key to the city 20 years into his career. Neither has his manager, Wassim “Sal” Slaiby, who operates one of the most impressive rosters in music as an artist manager (including The Weeknd) and recently inked a partnership with Universal Music Group to oversee their new Middle Eastern division, Universal Arabic Music alongside fellow Ottawa native Massari.

Neither has Herieth Paul, a legitimate supermodel who has walked some of the biggest runways in the world, including Victoria’s Secret. If you think the press coverage of Sandra Oh getting her key to the city was big, you haven’t seen anything yet.

But that probably won’t happen because to the powers that be, their Ottawa is tech, green space, affordability, the ByWard Market, Alanis Morissette and a “great place to raise a family,” which is … boring. It’s time for a new vision, a reimagining of the capital, not knee-jerk defensiveness or celebrations of our boredom. It’s time to admit that the current vision for the capital is outdated. Since we’re a tech town, let’s call that Ottawa 1.0.

Canada deserves better, the world deserves better, and most importantly, we deserve better.
https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/bo...id-to-exciting

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:16 AM

I saw your article. Very well written, and refreshing in the sense that you offer a suggestion that makes a lot of sense. I hope it gets some traction.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:41 AM
ハルウララ

When I first moved to Ottawa in 2013 I was told two things:
  • It's the biggest small town in Canada, and;
  • The most fun weekend activity is going to Montreal

Nearly a decade later and I think both of those statements are still accurate. I had a lot of great times in Byward through the summer months, a lot of great times at Lansdowne when it re-opened, a lot of great times at the Mayfair and on Wellington, but Ottawa's in this weird space where the city is less busy in the summer because of how Parliament and the university schedules work. It's very strange. Combine that with miserable winters and I can understand why it feels like there isn't a whole lot going on. It's like an oversized college town.

I wish I had some sort of solution but being wedged between both Toronto and Montreal makes things very difficult on an arts and culture platform. Canadian art and culture is, on the best of days, overshadowed by American culture, so even getting Canadian content recognized is difficult enough as is, then add in bigger media markets to the west and east in both languages and it's difficult to gain traction on cultural and artistic projects.

One of the things I found about spending the majority of my 20s in Ottawa is that there's essentially two types of people:
  • People from Ottawa who are on the public servant rails; go to uOttawa/Carleton, get a good public service job by 25, probably married by 30. Not the most exciting, partying-type of people.
  • People from elsewhere who moved from smaller towns and just want big city stuff in a quieter atmosphere. If they wanted bigger, more active cities they would have just moved to Toronto/Montreal. Very chill but also not the most exciting.

I think most people I knew in Ottawa were either married and settled down into the public service life in their late 20s or had moved on to other cities either in Canada or abroad, as if Ottawa was a good place to complete post-secondary before moving on with life.

The best addition to Ottawa in my time there was probably the patios that were set up on the Hill, and then patio on the Waterfall - and those were/are just...very simple outdoor patios with overpriced hot dogs. LRT opened like a month after I had moved to Toronto, but that definitely helps with at least moving around the city a bit quicker, and makes the city feels much more big-city.

Ottawa has a niche and it's that of quiet, safe, and calm. If there's a way to harness that into a lifestyle then that's probably Ottawa's key to differentiating itself and making a name for itself. I don't think the city can do much to try and be fun and wild because Montreal already does that in spades down the street. Natural, outdoor activities are probably what Ottawa can sell to people the most. Skating on the canal, hiking/skiing in Gatineau Hills, etc. are all easy activities that are very accessible. The city feels like it's going in the opposite direction with all of the sprawl but if Ottawa built out an incredible amount of active infrastructure and really went head-first into promoting active lifestyles then I think they would be better for it. Just build thousands upon thousands of kilometres of bike trails, lane, paths, etc. all over the place and encourage active transport on the ground at all times. Or don't, whatever

Last edited by JHikka; May 27, 2021 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:31 PM

In my experience Ottawa is a great city, always love showing it off to visitors (and they in turn love the experience) but a few things...

1) there are way too many policy / gov't types that turn simple stuff into heavy process, study after study and complicate everything here making getting stuff done impossible;
2) we are a city that thrives on divison (I would offer more than other larger cities), for example Ottawa-Gatineau, English-French, urban-suburban-rural, cyclist-car-pedestiran - it can be exhausting;
3) we seem paralyzed to take risks or be bold (see 1 above) - I see what European or Asian cities are doing for design, parks and am envious;
4) the lead up to winter, winter and the mess after is brutal;
5) rules, rules, rules everywhere and way too many snitches and Karens and NIMBYs...

This city thrives when given something to thrive above - remember the summer La Machine came - that was incredible. We just need to create these opportunities, events and spaces and ppl will come out of their shells...

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 12:53 PM

Any city's mentality is dominated by its inhabitants.

Ottawa is reserved and orderly because the main industry of the city is government. You don't get wild-eyed dreamers with visions of changing the world in a government bureaucracy. That environment neuters them.

To use a 180-degree opposite, look at Las Vegas - the most superficial city on the planet. It literally is an entire city to cut loose in. Drink to your heart's content and spend cash willy-nilly on stupid things like gambling. It is a city of hucksters, people who want to party every day, those with high-flying big dreams and those who will take the cold hard cash of anybody for anything.

When Ottawa wants to be more fun, the instinct is to convene a committee of government. That's not how 'fun' works. If Ottawa wanted to be fun, it would just encourage the chaos of youth by providing thousands of cheap apartments in the core in a manner similar to Montreal. Or San Francisco in the late 1960s. Or the gritty years of New York City in the '70s and '80s. The locals would be aghast, but creativity and fun rarely comes from being clean and orderly. It comes from the chaotic energy of youth living in walk-up apartments in grimier parts of the city. Not aseptic condos or suburbs inhabited by middle-aged government bureaucrats.

Unless Ottawa wants to change its mentality (it doesn't - trust me), it won't be fun.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:32 PM

As a less-recent transplant from Toronto, my feeling is that some of the complaints about Ottawa are legitimate, whereas others are by no means unique to Ottawa. For example:

- Ottawa is by no means the only city that gets quieter in the summer. Toronto gets much quieter in the summer, as if anything, there was more of a compulsion to get out of the city. Ottawa is a better festival city than Toronto (but less good than Montreal). I would say that Toronto has made some strides in recent years, but most of the festivals feel like corporate versions of better festivals held elsewhere, so they don't feel homegrown or organic.

- Being near bigger arts and culture hubs may be a drawback in terms of tourism, it doesn't preclude Ottawa from developing its own vibe. While Toronto will always take the cake in terms of the breadth of arts and culture, if anything, it's vibrancy has decreased as the cost of living rises and artists are forced to move to cheaper locales. That is how a place like Hamilton has grown by leaps and bounds this decade. What's left in Toronto is the more corporate-oriented arts and culture ventures. Ottawa can absolutely compete on the more grass roots, independent front. If it nurtures particular sectors, it can compete in terms of intensity in those sectors.

- In terms of the type of people who move here, I think that is changing. At least in my circles, there are people who move here for work opportunities, but a very common theme is that people move here to have more leisure time generally. Between jobs and commutes and general bigger city annoyances, people in Toronto tend to have less time to be out and about. That should be a big advantage to Ottawa.

- Proximity to Quebec is an advantage. Without generalizing, I find that all of Ontario has a more rules-oriented, reserved approach (take the "No ball or hockey playing" signs that were on every Toronto residential street), whereas Quebeckers have a more carefree, out and about orientation that meshes well with arts and culture vibrancy. Ottawa has an opportunity to take advantage of that mix of cultures, which it has not really ever focused on.

So in short, I think that there are lots of opportunities for the creative-minded here, and I am not nearly as pessimistic on the prospects of enhancing the vibrancy of arts and culture. As Ottawa has grown, the government orientation and influence has diminished, and it has become more of a city where people can find their niche. We just need to give them space to do that.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:33 PM

Another perfect example of a wasted opportunity to literally make Ottawa more fun was when city council debated allowing drinking in public parks last year. The motion was defeated for the same puritanical, nanny state reasons that prevent other fun from happening here. Everyone still does it anyway but no, Council had to pull a predictable Debbie Downer. I used to be a rave promoter in this city until it became impossible to find locations because they had all been scared off from renting to raves by the police. I can tell you that those raves were probably the most fun that anyone has ever had in this city.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 1:56 PM

Asking what government can do to make things more fun is like a late teen/early twentysomething asking his mom what to do to make him more attractive to Jenny. If you're at that point, you've already lost. Go buy a motorcycle or something, stupid.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:01 PM
Closed account

Two thoughts...

1) In my experience the people that still say "Ottawa is boring" are usually either not from here and trying to take a jab at the city, or they are from some dreadful neighbourhood like Barrhaven and don't participate in anything, rarely take part in any of the festivals, concerts, arts or cultural events, or partake in the immense natural offerings in and around the city. They have small social circles and would be bored no matter what city they live in, rarely (if ever) venture downtown as they have deemed it "dangerous". When they hop in the SUV and head out of town for a weekend in another city and actually participate in stuff they find it gratifying and award the city their stamp of approval. Again, this is just my observation.

2) Until a few years ago I lived in downtown Toronto for years. I can tell you Toronto is absolutely dead in the winter months. Where Ottawa and Montreal embrace winter, Toronto shuts down. There is only so many times you can skate at Nathan Phillips Square with the instagramers before it gets old. Despite what some people say, the winters in Toronto are long, cold, snowy/shushy, and can be pretty boring/dull. Ottawa has much more to offer in the winter.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 2:27 PM

The same discussion has been going on for years. I am hopeful that it can change in the future with the city becoming bigger and some younger residents moving here from Toronto, Montreal, etc... We just need to get the ball rolling and make some improvements and hopefully the evolution will start snowballing on its own.

Ottawa needs to embrace URBAN CITY life, it is much too focussed on the quiet suburban life.

Some ideas;
-Embrace the waterways, more interaction and patios, buskers and such around Rideau Canal and the river
-Encourage arts & culture! More vibrant murals, artwork, festivals and places for these people to gather and exchange ideas, etc.. This city is extremely drab and grey... Our idea of art is a spider and drab concrete monuments at every corner. Make a section of the city a true ART district and run with it.
-More patios, longer opening/serving times, allow drinking in public parks (no keggers but think of sharing a bottle of wine and some snacks with friends at Major Hill's
-Lower our dependency on government, policies, NCC and all the rule-makers. We are way too risk-averse in this city. Nobody is willing to take risks or try things. Our city council and the people managing the city are not playing offence, they are playing defence.

I would love to see more events around the city. Look up Picnik Electronic in Montreal. Every Sunday during the summer, they have a DJs and music playing at Parc Jean-Drapeau during the afternoon and early evening. It used to be free but now is $5 entry I believe, nothing crazy. And they have a couple food trucks and tiki bar serving drinks out of sand pails.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 3:15 PM

OTSkyline, slandering Maman is against the rules (I think, BRB checking)

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 4:37 PM

For what's it's worth, there have been a few debates similar to this on the Canada thread. Ottawa generally ranks fairly well in terms of vibrancy, night-life and overall fun. Below Montreal and Toronto. A bit below Vancouver. Well above Calgary and Edmonton. Halifax and Victoria seem to punch well above their weight.

This is more based on the Canada thread discussions, not my opinion based on personal experience, however that was pretty much my perspective as an Ottawan with limited travel experience (I've only been to Montreal, Victoria, Vancouver and Winnipeg in my adult life).

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:39 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This is more based on the Canada thread discussions, not my opinion based on personal experience, however that was pretty much my perspective as an Ottawan with limited travel experience (I've only been to Montreal, Victoria, Vancouver and Winnipeg in my adult life).
How have you never been to Toronto?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation