HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:29 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,558
King Charles of Canada just 18 months away?

Looks like Prince Charles will become King in 18 months time according to reports. If this does occur I wonder if this makes Canada and Australia's support of the monarchy erode to where they look to succeed from the commonwealth?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=spartandhp
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:32 PM
jigglysquishy's Avatar
jigglysquishy jigglysquishy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,833
I'm an avid monarchist and would be irredeemably devastated if we become a republic.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:37 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 17,104
Unless the Queen kicks it between now and then, Charles is more likely to become Regent than King. I'd be very surprised if HerM simply retired. And it will be a well-earned retirement.

Maybe we could import Harry and Meaghan and start our own Canadian dynasty! King Archie has a certain .... hmmm, never mind.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:37 PM
Calgarian's Avatar
Calgarian Calgarian is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 23,465
Who cares, the monarchy is a waste of time (and money when they visit)!
__________________
Git'er done!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:40 PM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Unless the Queen kicks it between now and then, Charles is more likely to become Regent than King. I'd be very surprised if HerM simply retired. And it will be a well-earned retirement.

Maybe we could import Harry and Meaghan and start our own Canadian dynasty! King Archie has a certain .... hmmm, never mind.
This is the more likely scenario. She has always said that she would never abdicate.

I too am a monarchist. I could not abide turning our PM into a President and Head of State.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:41 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 19,621
The article does not say the Queen would abdicate, only that Charles would take on the responsibility of Prince Regent. The Queen will remain the Queen, and will likely be around for another decade (if she's anything like her Mum).
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:41 PM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
Looks like Prince Charles will become King in 18 months time according to reports. If this does occur I wonder if this makes Canada and Australia's support of the monarchy erode to where they look to succeed from the commonwealth?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...cid=spartandhp
secede.


Yes, I am that guy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:42 PM
chris's Avatar
chris chris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 1,722
Do we actually still have someone ruling over us?
__________________
Go Habs.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:42 PM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The article does not say the Queen would abdicate, only that Charles would take on the responsibility of Prince Regent. The Queen will remain the Queen, and will likely be around for another decade (if she's anything like her Mum).
Operation London Bridge when she does pass.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:42 PM
roccerfeller's Avatar
roccerfeller roccerfeller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 2,775
Would much rather that $$$ goes towards Canadians as opposed to supporting the crown and all the colonialism it stood for
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:43 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 19,621
In any event, when the Queen finally moves on to her greatly deserved reward, I'll only have one thing to say.........

"The Queen is dead, long live the King!!!"
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:46 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,558
I would be ok with Canada becoming a republic if it means we can get a new constitution that is easier to amend so things like senate reform could actually be done.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:48 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I would be ok with Canada becoming a republic if it means we can get a new constitution that is easier to amend so things like senate reform could actually be done.
Getting rid of the monarchy can't happen fast enough for me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:49 PM
VANRIDERFAN's Avatar
VANRIDERFAN VANRIDERFAN is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I would be ok with Canada becoming a republic if it means we can get a new constitution that is easier to amend so things like senate reform could actually be done.
You really think this herd of cats called Canada would agree on a new constitution that would take rights away from Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces? Because that is the only way places like Alberta will agree to it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:50 PM
Pinus Pinus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Who cares, the monarchy is a waste of time (and money when they visit)!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
Getting rid of the monarchy can't happen fast enough for me.
Thankfully, we as a Commonwealth nation do not hold a majority of this kind of Americanised indifferent attitude.

I too am a monarchist
__________________
Canada's biggest downfall: our proximity and physical attachment to 'Murca.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:51 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,249
We're ready.

Newfoundland and Labrador government prepares for Queen's eventual death

Quote:
The Demise of the Crown Act is working its way through the House of Assembly to get the province ready for the death of the 93-year-old monarch, who, by all reports, is in good health.

The act ensures government business continues as usual upon the death of the Queen. The act means anyone who has sworn an oath of office will not have to retake an oath to maintain their position or take a new oath to the next monarch, Prince Charles.

The law also applies to court proceedings. On court dockets across the province, Her Majesty The Queen can be seen as the plaintiff or defendant in court matters. The new law ensures all criminal and civil proceedings can continue uninterrupted.

In addition to the legislative changes, there is protocol already in place for the eventual death of Queen Elizabeth II.

Upon her death, Buckingham Palace will formally notify Rideau Hall, where the Governor General of Canada resides. Rideau Hall will notify the Lieutenant Governors throughout the country and formally begin a period of mourning for the state.

Newfoundlanders and Labradorians will be provided with black ribbons and pins to wear during the mourning period, which will last 10 days after the Queen dies. Flags will also fly at half-mast for the period. A book of remembrance will be provided at Confederation Building, Government House and other locations throughout the province to allow members of the public to express their condolences to the Royal Family.

Those books will not make it to England, however — they will be archived at The Rooms as a historical document. Electronic versions will also be available for people to sign.
https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...-death-378726/
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:51 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
You really think this herd of cats called Canada would agree on a new constitution that would take rights away from Quebec and the Atlantic Provinces? Because that is the only way places like Alberta will agree to it.
Abolishing a useless senate takes away no one's rights. Quebec itself abolished their own provincial senate back in the late 1960's.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #18  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:57 PM
thurmas's Avatar
thurmas thurmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,558
I used to support the monarchy up until a year or two ago but the continuous lecturing of Harry and William about climate change while they jet set on private planes and helicopters and Meghan Markle's snobbery and snowflake millennial self pity and love for the spotlight is nauseating. After the Queen dies there is very little that is endearing left of the Royal family and has no real value just giant costs for them and their security details when they travel.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #19  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 11:59 PM
Corndogger Corndogger is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Calgary
Posts: 5,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Thankfully, we as a Commonwealth nation do not hold a majority of this kind of Americanised indifferent attitude.

I too am a monarchist
You're also a poor speller and have no idea what the majority wants. Commonwealth nation? That label is a relic from the past. No one cares about crap like that other than people who think we need a foreign family full of depraved sexual abusers to look up to and keep us together. What a fucking joke! Do you want to be Britain's bitch forever? Show some self-respect Pinus and throw off the chains of colonialism which is just another form of slavery.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #20  
Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 12:02 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 19,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
You're also a poor speller and have no idea what the majority wants. Commonwealth nation? That label is a relic from the past. No one cares about crap like that other than people who think we need a foreign family full of depraved sexual abusers to look up to and keep us together. What a fucking joke! Do you want to be Britain's bitch forever? Show some self-respect Pinus and throw off the chains of colonialism which is just another form of slavery.
Yes, throw off the colonial yoke, and create a new electoral model like our esteemed cousins to the south, where the head of government is also the head of state. I too look forward to our own version of President Trump. Maybe, one day is the not too distant glorious future we can look forward to our very own President Doug Ford of Canada!!!
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.