HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Oct 23, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
In the same vein, I am unable to recall what was on the corner where the New Service Restaurant was prior to the redevelopment of Neptune, say, in the 1980s.
I don't know the specifics but as I understand it, Neptune took over several of the neighbouring buildings and used them as offices. They were all torn down for the renovation that happened from 1995-97 leaving the theatre itself and rebuilding around it.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:32 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This is pretty interesting. A third party application to register the old library: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...1127hac911.pdf

It scores the building at 50/100 and recommends that it should be registered for scoring over 35.

I don't know how you could argue that this is anything other than a historically significant building for Halifax, even if it was built around 1950. Its style is pretty unique for the city, it's a landmark, and it's an integrate part of the public space it fronts. It's also in a very vibrant area where space is at a premium. It's been sitting empty due to a lack of imagination and initiative, not a lack of demand for space.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 9:45 PM

Hopefully this will lead to a brighter future for that building, rather than deferred maintenance and demolition, which appears to be the path that it is on currently...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:17 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The Dennis Building was similarly registered due to a third-party motion. It seems like those plus heritage districts are pretty much a requirement to get a decent level of heritage protection.

The Dennis Building shows how weak Halifax's heritage protections are. It's one of the few older, taller masonry buildings in the whole city, the base is from 1860 or so, and it faces Province House. It's an integral part of the feel of that area. In my opinion it shouldn't even really be a facadism candidate.

There was already a big mistake in this area, the demolition of the old RBC building:

The second building from the left here survived until the mid-2000's or so.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 11:38 PM

Do you mean the tall building directly behind the statue? 5161 George Street? The RBC tower at that location was built in 1960, so the older building was torn down before 1960, not the mid 2000s.

Thankfully the beautiful older stone bank building to the left still stands. From the pic you posted the old RBC building was quite impressive, and would have been nice if it had been kept. I think this is the first good photo I've seen of it.

https://goo.gl/maps/FRFmHVF84rJj83TY8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Centre_(Halifax)

Edit: Maybe you are talking about the second building from the left in the background? It would have been torn down when the CIBC building was built in 1977? The one to the left of it was façaded when the TD tower was built a few years ago.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 2:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Edit: Maybe you are talking about the second building from the left in the background? It would have been torn down when the CIBC building was built in 1977? The one to the left of it was façaded when the TD tower was built a few years ago.
Yep, that one. The corner building was torn down when the TD building was built in the 70's. There were 2 heritage buildings below it on Granville up until about 15 years ago. The four storey red brick one with two storey storefront windows (I think called the Kelly Building) was demolished around that time, and could have been saved.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Yep, that one. The corner building was torn down when the TD building was built in the 70's. There were 2 heritage buildings below it on Granville up until about 15 years ago. The four storey red brick one with two storey storefront windows (I think called the Kelly Building) was demolished around that time, and could have been saved.
Ah yes, I was mistaken, though, as I didn't realize I was looking at the building that was on the corner.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 6:47 PM

I was looking up some stuff on Andrew Cobb (famous Halifax architect) regarding the Halifax Forum renovation project, when I came across this little tidbit relating to his work on the Roy Building in 1919 (originally built as a 2 storey in 1896, 2 floors added on in 1919 after the original structure was damaged by fire, and 2 more in 1928).

It doesn't say much, but gives a window into the struggles that happened with well-known buildings ( at least it used to be well-known until it was torn down to build the current "Roy" building) and well-known architect. I just find it interesting when I run across little bits of information like this:

Quote:
BURCHELL, C.J. 1919 B No. 4681 In the Supreme Court. Between: Andrew R. Cobb, Plaintiff, and J.E. ROY, Defendant. Writ issued April 22nd, 1919. Three leaves typed one side only. “Statement of Claim : 1. The plaintiff is an Architect practising his profession in the City of Halifax. The defendant is the owner of certain lands in the said City of Halifax on which he is constructing or having constructed a certain store and office building. 2. On orabout the 15th day of January A.D. 1919 the Defendant engaged the professi onal services of the plaintiff as Architect in connection with the construction of said store and office building and undertook to pay the plaintiff areasonable reward for such services. [...] 6. The defendant of receipt of the aforesaid statement and request from the plaintiff refused to pay the plaintiff the amount requested and further refused to pay the plaintiff anything on account unless the plaintiff would agree to accept a certain whollyunreasonable amount in respect of all his services as Architect...” Also i ncluded with this Writ is a 5-page typed document refuting Mr. Cobb's claimfor compensation as unreasonable.
One can only imagine the circumstances that led up to this legal action...

https://www.doullbooks.com/product/1...-COBB-Andrew-R

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The Dennis Building was similarly registered due to a third-party motion. It seems like those plus heritage districts are pretty much a requirement to get a decent level of heritage protection.

The Dennis Building shows how weak Halifax's heritage protections are. It's one of the few older, taller masonry buildings in the whole city, the base is from 1860 or so, and it faces Province House. It's an integral part of the feel of that area. In my opinion it shouldn't even really be a facadism candidate.

There was already a big mistake in this area, the demolition of the old RBC building:

The second building from the left here survived until the mid-2000's or so.
Another pic showing the corner of the RBC building (no year given):

Quote:
Intersection of George and Hollis Streets, showing the Merchant's Bank of Halifax (Royal Bank) and H. C. silver buildings in foreground
Reference no.: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives accession no. 1983-310 number 100019
https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=734

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 11:17 PM

Another one:

Quote:
Halifax street scenes for Imperial Publishing, Bank of Montreal Building corner George And Hollis Streets
Date: 1941

Reference: E.A. Bollinger Nova Scotia Archives accession no. 1975-305 1941 no. 430a
https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...es.asp?ID=2081

Old Posted Dec 10, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Looking north on Granville Street at George Street intersection
The Newman Building was the office fo Cunard White Star Line. A belt line car can be seen in foreground.

Reference: Nova Scotia Archives Photo Collection Places: Halifax: Street Scenes: Granville St.
https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...ves.asp?ID=150

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Another pic showing the corner of the RBC building (no year given):

Quote:
Intersection of George and Hollis Streets, showing the Merchant's Bank of Halifax (Royal Bank) and H. C. silver buildings in foreground
Reference no.: Notman Studio Nova Scotia Archives accession no. 1983-310 number 100019
https://novascotia.ca/archives/Notma...ves.asp?ID=734
Another view of the H.C. Silver building (with an addition on the roof?), I'm guessing late 1800s (no year given), which looks like it was later replaced by the Bank Of Montreal building.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/notma...ives.asp?ID=79

Old Posted Dec 20, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Looking north on Granville Street at George Street intersection
The Newman Building was the office fo Cunard White Star Line. A belt line car can be seen in foreground.

Reference: Nova Scotia Archives Photo Collection Places: Halifax: Street Scenes: Granville St.
https://novascotia.ca/archives/EastC...ves.asp?ID=150
A look from the same perspective in 1895:

Quote:
Looking North on Granville Street from George Street Intersection, Halifax, Nova Scotia
https://novascotia.ca/archives/notma...ves.asp?ID=112

Old Posted Dec 21, 2019, 1:12 PM

Fairly remarkable that in the 1941 shot that streetcars were routed in two directions on the narrow tunnel of Granville St back then. Interesting to see that Granville was a shopping street at the time.

In the 1895 shot the second building in from the corner on the west (left) side is clad in unattractive wide clapboards and is already sagging in the middle. The mustachioed gentlemen with their bowler hats and cigars, and the newsies standing for the photo, are worth a smile.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Fairly remarkable that in the 1941 shot that streetcars were routed in two directions on the narrow tunnel of Granville St back then. Interesting to see that Granville was a shopping street at the time.
When you look at the parked cars, it appears that there wouldn't be much clearance, but it seemed to work nonetheless.

That block isn't much of a shopping destination now, as it has been almost completely been taken over by offices (mostly banks). Unfortunately it is now mostly a dead zone that you walk through in order to get to somewhere else.

Quote:
In the 1895 shot the second building in from the corner on the west (left) side is clad in unattractive wide clapboards and is already sagging in the middle. The mustachioed gentlemen with their bowler hats and cigars, and the newsies standing for the photo, are worth a smile.
I guess there's no mystery as to why in the 1941 photo it had already been replaced with a masonry structure.

One thing that strikes me as interesting are all the overhead wires present in the 1895 photo. Some were for electrical, for sure, as Halifax had its first generating station running in 1885 - which is interesting in its own as New York City had only received its first power generating station 3 years earlier (more evidence that Halifax was a vibrant city on the forefront in the late 1800s). Some were likely for telegraph/telephone as well - each pole looks like it has the capacity to carry 80 wires, even more if they were able to be paired up. There were no rails on the street then as the rail service would have still been horse powered at the time - the Halifax Electric Tramway Company Limited was formed in 1895 as well. Also noted the dirt street surface, no cobblestones to be found in that area - one can just imagine how messy the muddy streets would have been just after the spring thaw...

It's interesting to note how grimy everything looks in both photos - especially the stone buildings. One would have to assume that most of it was due to the fact that most buildings were still heated by coal at the time.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2019, 1:36 PM

Quote:

It's interesting to note how grimy everything looks in both photos - especially the stone buildings. One would have to assume that most of it was due to the fact that most buildings were still heated by coal at the time.
A few years back we had our 1905 house reshingled. Under the old shingles was tar paper, and under the tarpaper the wood boards were as clean as the day it was installed, the capenter's measurements were like they had just been put there. There was a strong smell of coal and an amount of coal dust in the cracks between the boards. Coal had been stored inside and there must have been coal dust and coal smoke residue everywhere. I used to think that old buildings were made with black stone, and found it strange to see them after they were cleaned in recent years.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
A few years back we had our 1905 house reshingled. Under the old shingles was tar paper, and under the tarpaper the wood boards were as clean as the day it was installed, the capenter's measurements were like they had just been put there. There was a strong smell of coal and an amount of coal dust in the cracks between the boards. Coal had been stored inside and there must have been coal dust and coal smoke residue everywhere. I used to think that old buildings were made with black stone, and found it strange to see them after they were cleaned in recent years.
That's really neat how you found evidence of coal in the walls of your house. What is interesting to me is how widespread coal use was just 100 years ago and how quickly it seemed disappear, to the point where only the oldest of elderly people living today would have direct memories of it. Even 40 years ago I recall finding a piece of burnt coal in the yard of our 1910s-ish house and thought I had found a meteorite or something. I recall my Dad's stories of delivering coal in his youth, lugging it up to the top floors of some of the old 3-storey houses in downtown Halifax (before they were cleared out).

It's not clear to me when houses moved away from coal and switched to heating oil or electric heat, but it was before my lifetime. When I was a kid, that same old house had an oil stove in it, where you would fill up the oil canister from the main tank in the basement (inside!), carry it upstairs and place it upside down on a pedestal from which the oil like delivered oil into the stove. You don't see those anymore either.

I think electric power generating stations are the only major uses for it now, and we are gravitating away from that (for good reasons)...

Old Posted Dec 27, 2019, 9:25 PM

Back in the 1960s the house next door apparently had a coal furnace. I remember the green Cunard's coal truck backing into their driveway, sliding the coal chute through the basement window and sending a load of coal into a (presumed) bin in the basement.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 3:35 AM
Halifax Promoter!

We had a coal fireplace, along with an oil stove in the hallway and an oil stove in the kitchen in our old place on Brunswick St. We left that place in 1966.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Back in the 1960s the house next door apparently had a coal furnace. I remember the green Cunard's coal truck backing into their driveway, sliding the coal chute through the basement window and sending a load of coal into a (presumed) bin in the basement.
That system would work a lot better than dumping a truck full of wood in someone's driveway and getting them to gather all their friends to hand it into the basement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues