HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 8:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I can't fucking take it anymore. Seriously going to look into moving to Dublin.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 9:00 PM
Suburbs Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
We're the worst in Canada when it comes to sunlight, even more than the Maritimes and B.C. I think I recall stats in this thread showing there's a notable difference between Victoria (quite sunny) and Vancouver (more cloud) as well, but not sure.

It's good to keep a little perspective, though - St. John's, by far the least sunny city in Canada, is much sunnier than much of Europe. Canada, like Siberia and other similar landmasses, is spoiled for sunlight.

Average hours of sunlight annually:

Glasgow, Scotland - 1,265
Reykjavik, Iceland - 1,268
Dublin, Ireland - 1,362
Cologne, Germany - 1,504
Vaduz, Liechtenstein - 1,517
Brussels, Belgium - 1,546
Cardiff, Wales - 1,549
Hamburg, Germany - 1,581
London, England - 1,632
St. John's, Newfoundland - 1,633
Amsterdam, Netherlands - 1,662
Vancouver, British Columbia - 1,937
Victoria, British Columbia - 2,193
Toronto, Ontario - 2,235

Etc., etc., etc.
Oh so Toronto is barely sunnier than Victoria. Well there goes some people's argument.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Oh so Toronto is barely sunnier than Victoria. Well there goes some people's argument.
Toronto also gets only about 13% more sun hours than Vancouver, but that 13% seems really-really-important to some people. And if you are too far north then the sun apparently is too weak, and so it goes.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 10:08 PM
Suburbs Suck

Well and the west coast is sunnier in the summer which is when you want it the most.
castlegar.ca

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
On the last page 3 or 4 degrees difference meant nothing and overnight lows meant nothing.

On this page 3 or 4 degrees makes all the difference in the world and lows mean everything,

Oh SSP
In all fairness, it's not the same people saying those things.

Also, it depends. -14 vs -18, you can hardly try to argue one's balmy and the other's unlivably cold. But +2 vs -2, now that makes a significant difference (snow or rain). (i.e. the place with +2 average overnight lows usually does not freeze; the place with average -2 overnight lows usually does.)

IMO +6 or +10 makes little difference, whether sunny or rainy.

+21 vs +17 might be the difference between pool weather and not.

So, I'd say, depending on the context, sometimes 4 degrees is significant, sometimes not.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:40 PM
Go Preds!

At 4PM PST, Lytton is sitting at 27.0C. New high in Canada this year.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

Also, it depends. -14 vs -18, you can hardly try to argue one's balmy and the other's unlivably cold. But +2 vs -2, now that makes a significant difference (snow or rain). (i.e. the place with +2 average overnight lows usually does not freeze; the place with average -2 overnight lows usually does.)

So, I'd say, depending on the context, sometimes 4 degrees is significant, sometimes not.
Oh I agree that depending on where the 4 degree gap is on the temperature spectrum it can be a major or minor difference. Also I know it is different forum members (for the most part) arguing the opposite, was just amusing to go through the last few pages and see how the logic shifts. There was even one eastern Canadian member stating that the lows are not that important, which is sacrilegious for other members from Ontario. (They were referencing winter lows in coastal BC at the time).

Ironically, as you pointed out the 4 degree difference near the 0 degree mark, was one that some members were calling inconsequential, when I feel climatically it is arguably one of the most important temperature marks.

An average low of -2 or +2 during the winter in a given area makes a relatively huge difference in lived conditions and the natural ecosystem of an area.

Whatever though, it was a goofy debate that I actually tried to avoid (but failed, haha!).

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 12:06 AM

A nice spring garden:

These palm trees were likely imported from Dartmouth or Hawaii:

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:07 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Given falling precipitation it might make a difference if it's +2 or -2 but this isn't a good way to look at it. On clear (more likely to be dry) nights the temperature tends to drop more. Here in Vancouver we get the Pineapple Express, which brings tons of rain and mild winter temperatures, and cold arctic outflow type conditions tend to be dry and sunny. You can see the same correlation in East Coast weather data. The mean winter temperature at Halifax Citadel is -4.1 in January but the precipitation is 70% rain (because a lot of precipitation comes up along the coast while the cold snaps tend to be continental). The +2 vs. -2 average by itself doesn't mean much.

Incidentally this is another nail in the coffin of the dry cold argument. Even in Vancouver when it's cold in the winter it's unusually likely to be dry.

Last edited by someone123; May 8, 2019 at 1:40 AM.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:22 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Ironically, as you pointed out the 4 degree difference near the 0 degree mark, was one that some members were calling inconsequential, when I feel climatically it is arguably one of the most important temperature marks.
You should quote people if you're going to talk about what they wrote. Otherwise it's hard for them to tell what you are talking about.

If you are talking about me you are mischaracterizing my argument and probably inventing things that I never said (they are irrelevant anyway). I was talking about the perception of difference versus actual difference (e.g. somebody thinks it's 10 degrees but it's 4 degrees).

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
You should quote people if you're going to talk about what they wrote. Otherwise it's hard for them to tell what you are talking about.

If you are talking about me you are mischaracterizing my argument and probably inventing things that I never said (they are irrelevant anyway). I was talking about the perception of difference versus actual difference (e.g. somebody thinks it's 10 degrees but it's 4 degrees).
Actually wasn’t referencing you. Your arguments, while I don’t always agree, are consistent.

It is just too much now to quote them all and start several more pointless arguments.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I can't fucking take it anymore. Seriously going to look into moving to Dublin.

If it makes you feel any better, the ground is too warm at this point for much (if any) actual accumulation. The wet snow may fall, but the likelihood of it sticking at this point is pretty low.

But this will make us all feel worse. The difference between here and just a few hours west was pretty significant today. Curse of the easterly wind on the eastern shores:

St. John's high: ~6.8

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Well and the west coast is sunnier in the summer which is when you want it the most.
Does it still count as sunlight if your view of the sun is obscured by smog? Because I imagine that would put a huge dent in any BC cities numbers.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:43 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
It is just too much now to quote them all and start several more pointless arguments.
Hey, this whole forum is largely pointless.

I appreciate when people create more detailed arguments even when I don't agree with them.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Hey, this whole forum is largely pointless.

I appreciate when people create more detailed arguments even when I don't agree with them.
Good point

I am also on vacation now though, so hard to find the time.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:19 AM

Quote:

Four degrees overall makes more of a climatic difference, affecting vegetation and agriculture, but temperature also generally affects how we function and feel, even though it may not immediately affect your daily activities or lifestyle.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 2:52 AM
Go Preds!

18C with gradually clearing conditions.

The official high at Trudeau airport was 18.6C, once again the highest temperature in the province. 2nd straight day, now that's a bit unusual considering we are surrounded by water that is still very cold.

It's much cooler in Southern Ontario, TO with a high of 14C while Windsor stayed below 10C the whole day.

Low of 12C this morning but overcast. We had some showers overnight.

The warmspot was Lytton, BC at 28.3C. That is the new warmest temperature of the year in the country.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 6:46 AM

Just gets better and better. The forecast is for consistent sunshine and warmth. Tuesday's high at Vancouver Harbour was 18 C, the low was 9 C.

Downtown Vancouver, May 7 '19, my pics

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Oh I agree that depending on where the 4 degree gap is on the temperature spectrum it can be a major or minor difference. Also I know it is different forum members (for the most part) arguing the opposite, was just amusing to go through the last few pages and see how the logic shifts. There was even one eastern Canadian member stating that the lows are not that important, which is sacrilegious for other members from Ontario. (They were referencing winter lows in coastal BC at the time).

An average low of -2 or +2 during the winter in a given area makes a relatively huge difference in lived conditions and the natural ecosystem of an area.

Whatever though, it was a goofy debate that I actually tried to avoid (but failed, haha!).
I just said it wasn't as important to me. It does still make a difference though, no doubt.

I prefer southern Ontario's summer weather, because of the warm day time highs. Some might like it for the warmer lows. Or some might not like the summers because they are too warm/cold. It's all just personal preference.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 9:01 AM

Our forecast is still below average, but not as bad as was being called for a few days ago. Average high this time of year is around 17.

Forecast:12/14/15/17/18/20

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada