HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #16921  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:12 AM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 12,763
This warm spell is now over, a cold rain just dropped the temp below 20 for the first time since last Thursday morning. Today was very sunny and warmer than expected, peaking at 28.4C with humidex between 35 and 37 all afternoon. The ground had warmed up enough there was mist rising up after the rain.
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTOSAN FRANCISCO ROCHESTER, NYHAMILTONGODERICH, ON WHEATLEY, ONCOBOURG, ONLAS VEGASLOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16922  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:16 AM
travis3000's Avatar
travis3000 travis3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,872
By warm spell being "over" we mean the rest of the week and weekend is 26C to 30C feeling like 32C to 34C . Much better
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16923  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:30 AM
Nicko999's Avatar
Nicko999 Nicko999 is online now
Go Preds!
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 16,975
30C with a humidex of 38C and a mix of sun and clouds! Different places across the island had isolated t-storms but there was none in downtown. Day #12 over 30C for Montreal and #15 for Saint-Anicet tying with Windsor for the month. We beat the Interior at their own game. Unless a surprise 30C tomorrow (both places are forecasted to hit 27C), Saint Anicet and Windsor will share the title for most 30C this month in Canada.

Low of 23C (humidex of 31).

Downtown Montreal had morning low of 25C. A calm, warm night, that's what summer is all about.



The warmspot was Onefour, AB at 34.4C.

Last edited by Nicko999; Jul 31, 2019 at 3:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16924  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:12 AM
flar's Avatar
flar flar is offline
..........
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southwestern Ontario
Posts: 12,763
Temp is back over 20 now after dropping briefly to 19.7. That's how difficult it is to record a low over 20C "officially." Technically, this is within the sensor's error range.
__________________
RECENT PHOTOS:
TORONTOSAN FRANCISCO ROCHESTER, NYHAMILTONGODERICH, ON WHEATLEY, ONCOBOURG, ONLAS VEGASLOS ANGELES
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16925  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:20 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The mildest weather station I can find for Newfoundland is a place called Cappahayden, which is near the southeast end of the province. The mean there during the coldest month is -4.2 while St. John's is -4.9. The annual temperature range (lowest to highest monthly mean) is 19.4.

Cappahayden also gets 171.8 cm of snow annually which might be the lowest around Newfoundland. It's at 46.52 N (the farthest south of any active Environment Canada weather station in the province).

The southernmost station in Nova Scotia is Charlesville and its coldest mean temperature is -2. It is at 43.35 N. The annual temperature range there is 17.8. It gets 95 cm of snow per year.

Halifax has 3 weather Environment Canada stations warmer than any weather station in Newfoundland, but only 2 are on the mainland. Sable Island technically is inside the municipality's boundaries for some reason. I didn't include it as Nova Scotia's "mildest" station but the coldest month there is -1.2.
The mildest place in NL that I have seen recorded is St. Shotts (55 km SW of Cappahayden), where the average high is only below zero for one month of the year (February), also with the least snow. I doubt that all these stats are totally wrong, but you are for some reason comparing the most southerly point in Nova Scotia with the most southerly point in NL, which is quite different, and I'm not sure what the point is, considering the difference in latitude.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16926  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:40 AM
Chadillaccc's Avatar
Chadillaccc Chadillaccc is offline
ARTchitecture
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cold Garden
Posts: 20,425
Another nice day here, made it to 26, but a good part of the afternoon was quite cloudy. Tomorrow is set to be 26 again, with Thursday and Friday looking like they might hit the low 30s. Gonna be a tough moving day(s) for me, especially since it's a non-air conditioned 3-storey walkup in Mission.
__________________
Strong & free

'My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world.' — Jack Layton
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16927  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:44 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 22,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The mildest place in NL that I have seen recorded is St. Shotts (55 km SW of Cappahayden), where the average high is only below zero for one month of the year (February), also with the least snow. I doubt that all these stats are totally wrong, but you are for some reason comparing the most southerly point in Nova Scotia with the most southerly point in NL, which is quite different, and I'm not sure what the point is, considering the difference in latitude.
The point is that it's fun to look up these stats, and the warmest station is the "best case" for what you will find in a given province. Going as far south as possible is a good way to find the warmest station since we are in the northern hemisphere. Halifax (particularly YHZ) is nowhere near the warmest station in Nova Scotia. YHZ is roughly halfway between the coldest and warmest stations in winter.

This started with an assertion that NL stations are warmer in winter than stations connected to the Canadian mainland (except for Ontario; Signal begrudgingly admits now that Windsor might be warmer but not NS! ). But the warmest NL station is a full 2 degrees off from the warmest mainland station in Eastern Canada and that station is in Nova Scotia.

St. Shotts is not in the 1981-2010 Environment Canada climate normals, the best set of data available for Canada. I'm basing my arguments here on the data, not searching for data that fits what I want. Originally I wasn't sure that the minimal annual temperature range would be smaller at a station in NS than NL for example, but that's what I found. That is a decent proxy for how marine influenced a climate is.
__________________
flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16928  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:02 AM
Architype's Avatar
Architype Architype is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The point is that it's fun to look up these stats, and the warmest station is the "best case" for what you will find in a given province. Going as far south as possible is a good way to find the warmest station since we are in the northern hemisphere. Halifax (particularly YHZ) is nowhere near the warmest station in Nova Scotia. YHZ is roughly halfway between the coldest and warmest stations in winter.

This started with an assertion that NL stations are warmer in winter than stations connected to the Canadian mainland (except for Ontario; Signal begrudgingly admits now that Windsor might be warmer but not NS! ). But the warmest NL station is a full 2 degrees off from the warmest mainland station in Eastern Canada and that station is in Nova Scotia.

St. Shotts is not in the 1981-2010 Environment Canada climate normals, the best set of data available for Canada. I'm basing my arguments here on the data, not searching for data that fits what I want. Originally I wasn't sure that the minimal annual temperature range would be smaller at a station in NS than NL for example, but that's what I found. That is a decent proxy for how marine influenced a climate is.
That's all fine, I don't disagree.

Here is where I found information on St. Shotts, although it isn't necessarily the mildest in this table:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...e-february.php

The reason I noticed it was the low snowfall stat:

https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...l-february.php

Last edited by Architype; Jul 31, 2019 at 5:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16929  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:29 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,670
The warmest winter weather area in NL is likely Placentia/Argentia area. There doesn't appear to be an official EC weather station there though. Google climate data has avg. daily highs above 0 for all 12 months. It has the advantage of being in a sheltered bay that is away from the cooler east-coast waters and Labrador current.

The trade off is cool summers though. The southerly flow usually just cakes the entire south coast in a cool fog, so you never really get somewhere with both warm winters and warm summers. St. John's is sort of the middle ground: warm enough winters, and warm enough summers (exceptions: 3 weeks of this July lmao).

Warmest summer locations are usually in the inland stretch of Grand Falls eastward to Clarenville. High 20s to low 30s aren't uncommon, but of course being far enough away from the ocean means winters can be pretty dang cool.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16930  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 12:34 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Nice, but looks like you are headed for a cool night low of around 11°C though.
There was a thunderstorm barreling towards St. John's yesterday evening....it sort of broke apart and lost its juice before it made it to the city, but it passing dropped the temperatures real fast.

From my local weather station:

5:04 PM: 27.2
7:59: 22.6
8:19: 16.3

whatever was left from the storm shifted winds from the S to NE and dropped temps like crazy. I think the overnight low ended up being 12.3.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16931  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 1:47 PM
goodgrowth goodgrowth is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The warmest winter weather area in NL is likely Placentia/Argentia area. There doesn't appear to be an official EC weather station there though. Google climate data has avg. daily highs above 0 for all 12 months. It has the advantage of being in a sheltered bay that is away from the cooler east-coast waters and Labrador current.

The trade off is cool summers though. The southerly flow usually just cakes the entire south coast in a cool fog, so you never really get somewhere with both warm winters and warm summers. St. John's is sort of the middle ground: warm enough winters, and warm enough summers (exceptions: 3 weeks of this July lmao).

Warmest summer locations are usually in the inland stretch of Grand Falls eastward to Clarenville. High 20s to low 30s aren't uncommon, but of course being far enough away from the ocean means winters can be pretty dang cool.
The weather stations on the Avalon Peninsula that show the mildest winter temps seem to be:

St. Mary's
Daily Average
Dec: 0.0
Jan: -2.9
Feb: -2.9
March: -0.6

Holyrood Gen Stn
Daily Average
Dec: 0.1
Jan: -3.1
Feb: -3.6
March: -1.1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16932  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 1:53 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 19,611
Already 26C with a humidex of 35 in Moncton at 10 AM!!!!
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16933  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:02 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,245
Oh sorry. I thought my post was more of a non-commital reference but I re-read and it's not. Didn't mean to bring this up again. I was trying to reference that line - it used to be on Wikipedia and from there copied to all the weather summaries on various websites and said we had the mildest winter outside BC. Probably years ago now I referenced it here and everyone pointed out southern ON, some stations in NS, etc. My post yesterday was a clumsy attempt to say: it's so mild that lots of websites used to make the following claim. But FINE it's not true lol
__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16934  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 2:22 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,670
The statement "one of the mildest winters outside BC" would be a perfectly valid statement.

I'm used to seeing blatantly false statements about NL online though in attempt to make us look better. I remember many years ago coming across a tourism website that had a large "about NL/NL facts" page. One fact stated that there wasn't a single homeless person in Newfoundland since we're all very close-knit and have family or friends near that can take you in. Completely false but ok.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16935  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 3:25 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,670
Sunny and 23 (humidex 28, dew point 18 RH 72%) at just before 1PM. Should warm up to somewhere between 23 and 26 today.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16936  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 5:37 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 19,611
Now 31C with a humidex of 41 in Moncton at 2PM.

Still a couple of more hours of daytime heating to go.........

Pretty intense band of thunderstorms right now in northwestern NB. They should be down here by early evening.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16937  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 7:25 PM
q12's Avatar
q12 q12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Halifax
Posts: 2,755
Cape Breton Highlands National Park (Ingonish Beach, NS) the hot spot in Canada right now.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16938  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 9:05 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: See post below...
Posts: 28,245


__________________
Note to self: "The plural of anecdote is not evidence."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16939  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 10:51 PM
Denscity Denscity is offline
Suburbs Suck
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Castlegar BC
Posts: 7,121
33.0C at 3pm.
__________________
Daily 1 hour flights from YCG to YVR & YYC on ACX
British Columbia is named after the Columbia River, a 4 minute walk from my house
Exactly halfway between Vancouver and Calgary
castlegar.ca
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16940  
Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 11:15 PM
Marty_Mcfly's Avatar
Marty_Mcfly Marty_Mcfly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: St. John's, NL
Posts: 4,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Cape Breton Highlands National Park (Ingonish Beach, NS) the hot spot in Canada right now.
Before that the hot spot in the country was Deer Lake, NL. Not really two places that come to mind right away when you think of summer heat, but this stretch of weather has been absolutely magnificent for all of Atlantic Canada.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:58 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.