HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
People still do this? In Canada?

The women who use what is a legally available public service also have a right not to be harassed and guilt-tripped for doing so.

If some people have a problem with abortion in Canada, they should be picketing MP's offices, not clinics.
They do in Alberta too, but the government recently put in a law to mandate an exclusion zone. The conservatives were apoplectic, but too embarrassed to vote against it so walked out en masse during the vote, looking like cowardly fools. It was awesome.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Or would we simply dispense, however grudgingly, with all the social pretenses we live with on a daily basis and accept the reality that exists before us?
The survivors might.

Knowing that - at the end of the day - the last vestige of privacy will be the few cubic centimetres of grey matter in my skull is reassuring. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:20 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:

You can't block or harass anyone, but you certainly have the right to express your views. That's what these people are doing and they are 100% entitled to do so.
I understand that and actually agree. But as I said those views should be expressed to the people who's job and role it is to receive the views of citizens (ie politicians), not to 16-year-old girls who are probably already going through a very heartbreaking and stressful time in their lives, without having someone they don't even know get in their face about it.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:21 PM
sick transit, gloria

Somewhat related to the China discussion, here's a really interesting article from a Mandarin speaking Russian ex-pat in China on the situation in Xinjiang. It touches on the ways the Chinese have chosen to deal with any form of dissent.

A Week In Xinjiang’s Absolute Surveillance State

Quote:
A government ad in the arrivals hall said: 新疆是个好地方. Xinjiang is a good place. Maybe they’re right. What if all those Western media reports were false or wildly exaggerated? It wouldn’t be the first time.

Somewhat spooked by the normality of the whole thing, we got in a taxi, told him our hotel address, and he very kindly started driving us to the city center. The driver asked where we were from and gave us some tourism tips. Everything was fine and friendly. We were overjoyed at the sight of a big, modern city, full of tall buildings and modern highways, all enclosed by the spectacular Tianshan mountains. Maybe Xinjiang really is a good place after all. An awesome place.

Then we got into the city and reality started to set in. The reports aren’t fake news. It’s all quite true.
https://palladiummag.com/2018/11/29/...illance-state/

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:25 PM

Quote:
I understand that and actually agree. But as I said those views should be expressed to the people who's job and role it is to receive the views of citizens (ie politicians), not to 16-year-old girls who are probably already going through a very heartbreaking and stressful time in their lives, without having someone they don't even know get in their face about it.
I take your point. But I surmise that if you asked a protester, they'd probably say that they are attempting to influence people who are actually the ones getting the abortions.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
From my recollection of my time working in China (this was years ago, but still), it was really not that difficult to access supposedly 'banned' websites in China. It's not like it was some sort of closed-off system along the lines of what you'd see in North Korea. So I'm sure there is pretty broad access.

And as for Chinese netizens in Canada, I'd take that as pretty much a given. I mean, people who would show up to a courthouse to hold up signs like these are most assuredly posting comments online:

You can't block or harass anyone, but you certainly have the right to express your views. That's what these people are doing and they are 100% entitled to do so.
The whole current situation with China deserves its own thread as the kidnap and detention of Canadians by a foreign power is not normal “federal government and politics” but an external threat.

And of course we have agents on SSP, wander over to the Vancouver forum.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:00 PM
Beer me Captain

FWIW, latest Nanos numbers (released 11 Dec 2018):

34.8% - Cons
34.1% - Libs
15.8% - NDP
8.2% - Green
3.1% - Bloc

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

34.8% - Cons
34.1% - Libs
15.8% - NDP
8.2% - Green
3.1% - Bloc
Forum Research shows Conservatives would win majority if election held today

43% said they would vote conservative, while 34% would cast a Liberal ballot

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...forum-poll/amp

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post

34.8% - Cons
34.1% - Libs
15.8% - NDP
8.2% - Green
3.1% - Bloc
Considering the low profile Scheer has been keeping, this would appear to be a more anti-Justin response than a pro-Andrew one.

This strategy appears to be working.......

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Somewhat related to the China discussion, here's a really interesting article from a Mandarin speaking Russian ex-pat in China on the situation in Xinjiang. It touches on the ways the Chinese have chosen to deal with any form of dissent.
I read the article and for some reason I thought of this quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the novel by Hunter S. Thompson:

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...and that, I think, was the handle — that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes, you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

While he was referring to the era of the late-1960s (the novel was written in 1971), I can't help but think of the late-1980s to the year 2000 when reading that quote.

We watched the Berlin Wall fall, the Soviet Union collapse and the internet being born. The future seemed to belong to the West, freedom and liberty. Now, almost 20 years later, I feel as if I'm looking at the time the wave finally broke and rolled back.

I wonder when the next wave will roll in.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:24 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I read the article and for some reason I thought of this quote from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, the novel by Hunter S. Thompson:

"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning...and that, I think, was the handle — that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting — on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave...

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes, you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

While he was referring to the era of the late-1960s (the novel was written in 1971), I can't help but think of the late-1980s to the year 2000 when reading that quote.

We watched the Berlin Wall fall, the Soviet Union collapse and the internet being born. The future seemed to belong to the West, freedom and liberty. Now, almost 20 years later, I feel as if I'm looking at the time the wave finally broke and rolled back.

I wonder when the next wave will roll in.
Well spotted. There is an inevitableness about political forces and trends that can be daunting at times.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:26 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackslack View Post
Forum Research shows Conservatives would win majority if election held today
Forum are way off, though, and a number of people in the polling industry (including former employees of Forum) have pointed out how heavy of a skew their numbers are for Conservatives when nobody else has them in the same ballpark.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:29 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Well spotted. There is an inevitableness about political forces and trends that can be daunting at times.
Yeah. I almost got chills reading his post.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:31 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Forum are way off, though, and a number of people in the polling industry (including former employees of Forum) have pointed out how heavy of a skew their numbers are for Conservatives when nobody else has them in the same ballpark.
I was just thinking about how last (federal) election there was one polling company whose numbers where always way out of whack compared to every single one of the others.

It was Forum Research.

I don't even think they had the Liberals winning the day before the election.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:35 PM

Quote:
I was just thinking about how last (federal) election there was one polling company whose numbers where always way out of whack compared to every single one of the others.

It was Forum Research.

I don't even think they had the Liberals winning the day before the election.
Even if you take Forum as overstating the Tories' numbers, the trendline is pretty clear... the next election could go either way, although it really seems to boil down to the NDP. If they get some momentum and beat expectations, Scheer becomes PM. If they continue to flatline, JT remains in office.

I seldom read the Post or the Sun these days, but I would imagine they're running a lot of positive, upbeat articles about the federal NDP the same way they did in the lead up to the 2011 election.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 7:53 PM
Paidge Beaulieu's Ex-BF

I'd agree with you, esquire.

I think the Liberals and the Tories are actually close to being tied in voter intentions right now.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2018, 11:50 PM

The Chinese Nerds on Computers Army at work?

Dozens of businesses and institutions across the United States and Canada received email threats Thursday afternoon, prompting evacuations and sweeps of buildings.

At this time it's unclear if the threats -- which have been received in San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Miami, Washington, DC and other locations nationwide -- are connected. The FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said they are aware of the threats and are working with law enforcement to provide assistance. "As always, we encourage the public to remain vigilant and to promptly report suspicious activities which could represent a threat to public safety," the FBI said.

Email threats also have been received in Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto, Canada...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/us/em...ats/index.html

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Really? Was this line of thought necessary? I know you have a hard-on for bashing anything China related but even this is a stretch for you.

inb4 I'm accused by you of being a Chinese Troll/50mao

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 12:15 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Without a doubt. The English in the letters is obvious Chinglish. One of the many examples: "It was built according to my guide" is not only confusing because he really should have used the word "guidance" here, but the use of "according to," so ubiquitous in Chinese, is a clear sign that it was translated from Chinese into English (even if just in the writer's head when typing it out).

Basically he means "it was built according to my instructions." But just including this sentence in the letter is the most obvious sign of Chinese thinking. It's a needless and irrelevant detail that a speaker of English generally wouldn't feel the need to say, but Chinese people always do.

The "you have to solve problems with the transfer by the end of the workday" is another Chinglish thing. In Chinese the phrase "solve a problem" is used a lot. He isn't assuming that it will be a problem, he just means that the money transfer needs to be completed by the end of the workday.

Actually, the word problem isn't the best translation from the Chinese. It should be "issue" or "question." Though even so, a native English speaker wouldn't use the phrase "the issue of the bank transfer" in the first instance when making a demand, as that phrasing would only come up later on when discussing the various issues involved in the situation (i.e. "we've looked into the issue of the bank transfer; now let's deal with the issue of the threats").

It's all Chinglish. There is no doubt whatsoever that the perpetrator is Chinese. Heh, I should be one of those talking head "experts" that the news media have on all the time.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2018, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Really? Was this line of thought necessary? I know you have a hard-on for bashing anything China related but even this is a stretch for you.

inb4 I'm accused by you of being a Chinese Troll/50mao
As Rousseau pointed out, who else?

I suppose it could be North Koreans but the choice of cities is quite revealing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada