HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:56 PM
Highway Enthusiast

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Yeah, that should lead to a flood of votes for the Liberals in Alberta.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:17 PM
Highway Enthusiast

Someone on SSP told me that anything promised/cashed out within one year of election is considered vote-buying.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:23 PM

Indeed, governance should come to a standstill in the 12 months leading up to an election. It would help with deficits.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:30 PM
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Indeed, governance should come to a standstill in the 12 months leading up to an election. It would help with deficits.
If you put it that way, I guess I read the article wrong.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
Someone on SSP told me that anything promised/cashed out within one year of election is considered vote-buying.
Well, it is.

If you are wanting to be re-elected you want to remind your constituents of how great you are by showering them with government largesse.

If you are interested in doing something on principle, you'd do it at the beginning of your term to show how committed you were to that particular cause.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 2:35 PM
Highway Enthusiast

Last night I had a talk with an American friend, and I brought up the 2020 presidential election.

I was like, “Imagine if every state is a swing state.”

He laughed, “Then we might actually have decent politicians who actually care for the people not just for themselves.”

Too bad, in general, a lot of the electorates are too predictable.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that should lead to a flood of votes for the Liberals in Alberta.
The money would've been better spent anywhere else.

The overwhelming sentiment here in Alberta is that "we" don't want "your" handouts... we just want to be able to get "our" product to market.

Rightly or wrongly, the Trudeau government is being blamed for obstructing the construction of the pipelines, which is the only thing most Albertans really want... Kind of a "if it weren't for you, we wouldn't be in this position in the first place".

The best way to "buy" votes in Alberta would be to make a bold move on the progression of Transmountain (expediting "consultation" framework, etc)... Then the $1.6B could have been used to smooth things over with BC. Instead, this will do nothing for the Liberals in Alberta.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
The best way to "buy" votes in Alberta would be to make a bold move on the progression of Transmountain (expediting "consultation" framework, etc)...
How about buying the entire thing for 5 billion, against the wishes of almost every other Canadian outside Alberta and Saskatchewan?

The Trudeau government has made huge moves to get that pipeline built, unprecedented moves, and still Alberta is crying like a baby.

Forget it. Trudeau should just abandon any pretence of appeasing Albertans. He will earn more votes where he needs them by pissing you guys off. Sad, but true. You have already shown the true colors of your province, and it is very much "hate Trudeau no matter what he does".

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by once View Post
How about buying the entire thing for 5 billion, against the wishes of almost every other Canadian outside Alberta and Saskatchewan?

The Trudeau government has made huge moves to get that pipeline built, unprecedented moves, and still Alberta is crying like a baby.

Forget it. Trudeau should just abandon any pretence of appeasing Albertans. He will earn more votes where he needs them by pissing you guys off. Sad, but true. You have already shown the true colors of your province, and it is very much "hate Trudeau no matter what he does".
Again not what Albertan's wanted Trudeau to do. He could have stood up to Barack Obama on KXL pipeline but he didn't he went to a lavish party held in his honor at the Whitehouse. Sorry Justin going to deny the pipeline a permit but I'll throw you a big party with lots of Hollywood celebs, deal?

He could have helped Northern Gateway pipeline which certainly needed help, instead he proposed new legislation to ban oil tankers off the Northern BC coast killing the pipeline project.

He could have supported Energy East pipeline, which certainly needed help, but instead he proposed new legislation to make the approval process so onerous that TCPL cancelled the project.

He could have helped TransMountain pipeline, which certainly needed the help after all the other pipelines bit the dust, instead he stood by and watched the project flounder under repeated attacks by opponents embolden by his do nothing government to the point where TMX was going to abandon the project. Now he has Nationalized TMX (shades of his father) and watched as the project went into limbo because he won't propose legislation to make the project in the national interest and override the courts.

Thanks Justin, your tepid support will not be rewarded here, but pretending to do something probably plays better in Liberal Ontario which is all that really matters to the Liberals.

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
FWIW, latest Nanos numbers (released 11 Dec 2018):

34.8% - Cons
34.1% - Libs
15.8% - NDP
8.2% - Green
3.1% - Bloc
And this week - http://www.nanos.co/wp-content/uploa...ort-Slides.pdf

36.0% - Libs
33.9% - Cons
16.6% - NDP
6.6% - Green
3.4% - Bloc
0.7 - Peoples

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawagord View Post
Again not what Albertan's wanted Trudeau to do. He could have stood up to Barack Obama on KXL pipeline but he didn't he went to a lavish party held in his honor at the Whitehouse. Sorry Justin going to deny the pipeline a permit but I'll throw you a big party with lots of Hollywood celebs, deal?

He could have helped Northern Gateway pipeline which certainly needed help, instead he proposed new legislation to ban oil tankers off the Northern BC coast killing the pipeline project.

He could have supported Energy East pipeline, which certainly needed help, but instead he proposed new legislation to make the approval process so onerous that TCPL cancelled the project.

He could have helped TransMountain pipeline, which certainly needed the help after all the other pipelines bit the dust, instead he stood by and watched the project flounder under repeated attacks by opponents embolden by his do nothing government to the point where TMX was going to abandon the project. Now he has Nationalized TMX (shades of his father) and watched as the project went into limbo because he won't propose legislation to make the project in the national interest and override the courts.

Thanks Justin, your tepid support will not be rewarded here, but pretending to do something probably plays better in Liberal Ontario which is all that really matters to the Liberals.
More revisionist history. Trudeau was absolutely clear he supported KXL from the beginning.

Once is right, the time and money wasted on propping up Alberta's tarsands is just like flushing money down the toilet. It will not get the Liberals one seat in AB or SK and will cost them in many other places.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
And this week - http://www.nanos.co/wp-content/uploa...ort-Slides.pdf

36.0% - Libs
33.9% - Cons
16.6% - NDP
6.6% - Green
3.4% - Bloc
0.7 - Peoples
Seems neck and neck. I see that Scheer is running well below the party in terms of popularity. Also Bernier doesn't seem to have any traction (yet?).

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 8:46 PM

I think it would be wrong to say that this is a vote buying scheme because we are talking about Alberta. No matter what Trudeau does it will never be right and will never be enough and the Liberals know this. Alberta could get everything it wants in spades and the Liberals still wouldn`t get any political benefit from Albertans themselves. This is why the Liberals have basically written off Alberta and put much more attention on Ontario and Quebec. If the Liberals help Alberta they will still vote Tory and when the Tories get to power and then take Alberta for granted they will again still vote Tory.

For Trudeau this is not vote buying but a rather media buying excersize to momentarily shut Alberta up so in order to divert media attention away from the issue before the election.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 1:54 PM

Advantage Liberals heading into 2019, says Ipsos poll

https://globalnews.ca/news/4778587/l...on-ipsos-poll/

Quote:
The 2019 federal election appears to be the Liberals‘ to lose, and it’s likely going to take an ill-timed stumble from Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to open the window for the Conservatives, who still lurk within striking distance.

That’s the main takeaway of an Ipsos poll of 2,000 Canadians, conducted between Dec. 7 and Dec. 12, that also hinted that Trudeau is aided by Canadians’ low degree of familiarity with his rivals, Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer and NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh.

Asked who they would vote for if a federal election were held tomorrow, 38 per cent of respondents chose the Liberals while 33 per cent went for the Conservatives.

The Liberals also came out on top as the party most Canadians said is best-equipped to deal with healthcare, climate change, poverty, unemployment and housing — five of the top eight issues that respondents said will determine how they vote in 2019.

Two of the other issues that are top of mind, immigration and the economy, are best left to the Conservatives, per respondents’ consensus.

No party was able to claim a clear lead on taxes.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 1:58 PM

One wonders what the impact on voter intentions will be if the world slides into recession in coming months?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 2:44 PM

Quote:
One wonders what the impact on voter intentions will be if the world slides into recession in coming months?
Maybe the smart move would be to let the Libs win the 2019 election and then take the hit for the economic downturn?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 2:59 PM

If the USA and China can't settle their trade disputes (I think they will, but who knows), I think we'll see the "hit" of a major recession prior to the next election.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 3:11 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
If the USA and China can't settle their trade disputes (I think they will, but who knows), I think we'll see the "hit" of a major recession prior to the next election.
I'm pretty sure they will too. That's why China is hitting out at Canada over the Huawei thing rather than the US (even though I'm sure they know it's not really our fault) - they don't want to do anything that might jeopardize their chances of making a deal.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2018, 9:30 PM

Results of BC's proportional representation referendum to be released this afternoon 2:30 pm Pacific:
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-electoral-...-p-m-1.4226424

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada