HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
We're part of this province you ass! "Not much".
I lived around this part of the province that I'm referring to 'not much' - as far north as Kapuskasing. I've been up to Thunder Bay repeatedly.

As much as I like the area, we don't move the needle nationally. Heck, we barely move the needle provincially - you've said it multiple times!

The ~750,000 of us in northern Ontario probably move the needle less than PEI or New Brunswick. We are a vast, empty hinterland.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 6:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
I lived around this part of the province that I'm referring to 'not much' - as far north as Kapuskasing. I've been up to Thunder Bay repeatedly.

As much as I like the area, we don't move the needle nationally. Heck, we barely move the needle provincially - you've said it multiple times!

The ~750,000 of us in northern Ontario probably move the needle less than PEI or New Brunswick. We are a vast, empty hinterland.
The ~750,000 NBers have about as much heft in the national consciousness as do the ~750,000 northern Ontarians (although we benefit from a greater population density which benefits us in terms of service availability).

PEI punches waaaaay above it's weight on the national stage - irrationally so as a matter of fact.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Montrealais.
Nantais (resident of the capital of Brittany), Écossais (Scot), Irlandais (Irishman), Japonais (Japanese), Polonais (Pole), Anglais (Englishman), Hollandais (Dutchman), etc.

(In about five seconds then I stopped)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah but which one is more correct? I don't know the intricacies of the grammatical rules around French demonyms!
After an 'r', the -ois is much more likely.

The wikipedia article on Thunder Bay doesn't have that info (it's a stub in French) - I'd have expected it as they usually do.

But I found that the people of the city of Tonnerre, in Yonne (France) are indeed called Tonnerrois. Still not sure that's necessarily the one for Thunder Bay though... could be, say, Thunderois, or something else.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 8:14 PM

PEI has a real character and lifestyle that makes it so endearing to Canadians. NB on the other hand really doesn`t mean anything to most Canadians. For most it`s that province you have to drive through on your way to Halifax.

NB really is the Rodney Dangerfield of Canadian provinces...........it gets no respect.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 8:24 PM
Haru Urara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
NB really is the Rodney Dangerfield of Canadian provinces...........it gets no respect.
This is partly its own self-doing. NB has no national marketing or branding strategy whatsoever, but it's also overshadowed by every other province it neighbours.

If Canadians think of fishing, or shipping, or fishermen and lighthouses? It's Nova Scotia/Newfoundland

If Canadians think of outdoorsy east coast living? It's probably PEI and Nova Scotia, and to a lesser extent Newfoundland.

Newfoundland had a tremendous marketing campaign for years that got them a ton of recognition internationally.

PEI has Anne of Green Gables, golf courses, beautiful beaches, Confederation...

Nova Scotia has the Bluenose, Peggy's Cove, Halifax, Cape Breton...

Basically, everything that NB does well is done even better in every other Atlantic province. NB is a wonderful province for all manner of outdoor activities but it's not marketed at all. NB is a province with a ton of history but it's not really marketed at all. NB's main international marketing is only really appealing to Francophone speakers via Acadien celebrations, which is obviously limited for the rest of Canada.

tl;dr Canadians have stereotypes of Atlantic Canada that are already fulfilled by NS/NL/PEI, leaving NB in the dark.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 8:32 PM

edit

Last edited by kwoldtimer; Jan 2, 2019 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

The wikipedia article on Thunder Bay doesn't have that info (it's a stub in French) - I'd have expected it as they usually do.

But I found that the people of the city of Tonnerre, in Yonne (France) are indeed called Tonnerrois. Still not sure that's necessarily the one for Thunder Bay though... could be, say, Thunderois, or something else.
Thunderbayois? Thunderbois?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 10:17 PM
Editor

Quote:
The ~750,000 NBers have about as much heft in the national consciousness as do the ~750,000 northern Ontarians (although we benefit from a greater population density which benefits us in terms of service availability).

PEI punches waaaaay above it's weight on the national stage - irrationally so as a matter of fact.
New Brunswick has 10 senators. PEI has 4. Northern Ontario has 2.

Quote:

Thunder Bay itself originates from the French name for the bay, "baie du tonnerre".

The English demonym is Thunder Bayer.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 10:23 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Northern Ontario has 0.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 11:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
At least northern Ontarians aren't asked for their passports when checking into a hotel in Vancouver (I've heard of this happening several times to NBers).

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
At least northern Ontarians aren't asked for their passports when checking into a hotel in Vancouver (I've heard of this happening several times to NBers).
Doesn't beat the story of SHH trying to fly back home to St. John's and the flight gets cancelled but the 'helpful' lady from the air company offers a replacement flight to Halifax instead, "can't a friend or relative just go pick you up?"

Old Posted Jan 1, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Thunder Bay itself originates from the French name for the bay, "baie du tonnerre".

The English demonym is Thunder Bayer.
Sure, if there was an actual settlement called Baie du Tonnerre at the time it's a pretty safe bet the residents were called Tonnerrois, but it's very possible that bay never got the opportunity to generate a demonym in the French language before Fort Arthur and Port McWilliam got amalgamated, in which case there are other possible alternatives.

All things considered though, my money would still be on Tonnerrois.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 12:53 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
Northern Ontario has 0.
Two of Ontario's 24 senators live in Northern Ontario, one in Dryden and the other near North Bay. Generally speaking, Prime Ministers have always at least made some attempt to make sure Northwestern Ontario and Northeastern Ontario each have at least one senator at any time.

Quote:
Sure, if there was an actual settlement called Baie du Tonnerre at the time it's a pretty safe bet the residents were called Tonnerrois, but it's very possible that bay never got the opportunity to generate a demonym in the French language before Fort Arthur and Port McWilliam got amalgamated, in which case there are other possible alternatives.

All things considered though, my money would still be on Tonnerrois.
They called it Fort Camanistigoyan.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 1:38 AM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Two of Ontario's 24 senators live in Northern Ontario, one in Dryden and the other near North Bay. Generally speaking, Prime Ministers have always at least made some attempt to make sure Northwestern Ontario and Northeastern Ontario each have at least one senator at any time.
Sure, but only Quebec has actual districts for senators.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:06 AM
Highway Enthusiast

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:09 AM

Refugee Policy

A foreshadowing of Justin's next refugee policy ?

Germany has been flooded this holiday season with billboards offering illegal migrants a bribe to leave — free rent for a year at home.
“Your country. Your future. Now!” displayed in seven languages, jumps off nearly 2,500 screens in 80 cities.

A series of flags corresponding with the top-destinations – Egypt, Turkey, Afghanistan, Eritrea and Russia – shapes a zigzagging road to a fictional horizon.
The “ReturningfromGermany” ad campaign is the latest tactic by the German government to boost departures and deter migration, in a reversal of Angela Merkel’s controversial welcoming policy of 2015 at the height of the Syrian refugee crisis.

https://vancouversun.com/news/world/...5-b3604e84f370

Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. - M.Tyson

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 12:14 AM
Haru Urara

Bit confused until I actually read the article...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Sun
The billboard campaign is mainly targeting the 235,000 persons who are still required to leave the country, the interior ministry says.

So why haven’t they left? The large majority of asylum seekers simply cannot be sent back – their claims have been rejected, but they cannot be returned because their country of origin is too dangerous, they lack documentation papers or suffer from illness
Reception to the campaign seems to have been pretty cold.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFlowerpot View Post
And this week - http://www.nanos.co/wp-content/uploa...ort-Slides.pdf

36.0% - Libs
33.9% - Cons
16.6% - NDP
6.6% - Green
3.4% - Bloc
0.7 - Peoples
Latest Nanos poll - http://www.nanos.co/wp-content/uploa...age-Slides.pdf

38.7% - Libs
33.3% - Cons
16.7% - NDP
6.0% - Green
3.0% - Bloc
1.4% - Peoples

Old Posted Jan 8, 2019, 4:36 PM

Received a call for a forum poll last night. They asked specifically about Elizabeth May and if I thought she was doing a good job as Green Party leader. I don’t pay attention to what she does.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada