HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:35 PM

Definitive List of Winnipeg Neighbourhoods and Boundaries

Hi folks,

I've been trying to do some housecleaning on my blog in terms of geographic neighbourhoods (actually, it's been an on-going process for around three years). It's difficult, though, because it's so difficult to find definitive on-line maps that outline both of the following:

• Specific neighbourhood boundaries such as William Whyte, Minto, Spence, etc. There is one good resource for this: The police crime statistics map, but it's clunky and difficult to use.

• More generalized regions such as The North End, The West End, North Kildonan, East Kildonan, West Kildonan, Transcona, Saint Boniface, Etc. I've seen different boundaries listed for some of these regions. Seems more of a subjective thing than it really should be.

And on this latter point, as far as the North End goes, would you guys consider Luxton and Point Douglas to be a part of it? My definition of the North end is the CPR tracks to the south, McPhillips to the west, Main St. to the east and Matheson to the north. But I've been told I'm wrong. Thoughts?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Bryan

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:39 PM

I have been doing the same thing. Go to google and type in the neighbourhood names They will come up.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:41 PM

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I have been doing the same thing. Go to google and type in the neighbourhood names They will come up.
Neat. Do you have a public map that shows all of the neighbourhoods? What about the larger regions (north end, etc.)?

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:47 PM

St. Johns is considered part of the North End, however Luxton is not.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:42 PM

I asked this a while ago on this forum, the North End does not include North Point Douglas

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:44 PM

Quote:
I asked this a while ago on this forum, the North End does not include North Point Douglas
What about Luxton and St. John's Park?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 5:49 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanscott View Post
That neighbourhood is referred to as Scotia Heights, at least by the people who I knew that lived there; which is funny when you think about it because it's usually the first neighbourhood to sink into the Red during a flood.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
That neighbourhood is referred to as Scotia Heights, at least by the people who I knew that lived there; which is funny when you think about it because it's usually the first neighbourhood to sink into the Red during a flood.
That's where I live, and I never know what to say when people ask where I live. Luxton? Scotia Heights? Luxton-Scotia?

Scotia Heights definitely seems to be the common name for it, but knowing that Luxton is the actual name, I prefer to use the latter.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 10:45 AM
BANNED

Quote:
That's where I live, and I never know what to say when people ask where I live. Luxton? Scotia Heights? Luxton-Scotia?

Scotia Heights definitely seems to be the common name for it, but knowing that Luxton is the actual name, I prefer to use the latter.
It is all part of the North End.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 1:54 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
That depends on who you talk to.

The "North End" has never been a formally designated community, but rather a loose collection of smaller areas. Some include Luxton and St. John's Park. Some don't.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:43 PM

So if the North End can not formally be classified as an area, it should be defined by perception. If that is the case what is the generalized perception of the area. After such a classification is made than the borders of the area can be defined based on that classification. So should the area be defined as
-A group of neighbourhoods all built in a relative time period
-Which of these neighbourhoods received an influx of immigrants, being jewish, polish, etc. etc. during a certain time period.
-Crime or poverty based, in which case the size would decrease dramatically, because despite popular belief, the entire North End is not run down and in need of repair.

My question is what is so regionally defining about St. John that would make it a part of a Neighbourhood other than the North End?

With Luxton there is the obvious fact that it lies on the East side of Main. But an argument could be made that the North End should cover all neighbourhoods right to the river. But then that poses a problem with Neighbourhoods such as N.P.D whose inhabitants (such as 1ajs) clearly point out it isn't part of the North End.

Now I may be way off here, as this thought just struck my mind, but it seems that the inhabitants of outer North End neighbourhoods and those surrounding it vehemently don't want to be labelled as part of the North End. It seems this is because they don't want to be classified as part of Winnipeg's worst neighbourhood.

But the truth is that for the majority of the population the North End is anything North of Higgins, West of the River, East of Mcphillips, and South of Inkster. That is the area most "stay clear of". So in with that mindset the North End is not a grouping of Neighbourhoods, but more of a mindset around which fear of crime and poverty is based.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:54 PM

When I was a kid, we called everything north of the tracks and west of the river The North End. Meanwhile, everything south of the Assiniboine and west of the Red was "The South End." (I was a "South Ender" who went to a North End school where there was always bad blood between the Northerners and the Southerners.)

Fascinating, yet infuriating, that these things are based on perceptions rather than clearly defined boundaries.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:46 PM

I have been trying to bring it up, I started to create one on google, but have been really busy. The problem is that I don't know how to display public maps from google to everyone, if you could tell me how, I could show you what I have so far. So far it hasn't been much, but we pretty much are trying to do the same thing. I started creating it so I could list all recorded acts of violence. It has been a thesis of mine that Winnipeg is not a dangerous city as much as a safe city with some troubled neighbourhoods, and this map was intended to prove that theory.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
I have been trying to bring it up, I started to create one on google, but have been really busy. The problem is that I don't know how to display public maps from google to everyone, if you could tell me how, I could show you what I have so far. So far it hasn't been much, but we pretty much are trying to do the same thing. I started creating it so I could list all recorded acts of violence. It has been a thesis of mine that Winnipeg is not a dangerous city as much as a safe city with some troubled neighbourhoods, and this map was intended to prove that theory.
If you click the "link" button beside "Get Directions" and "My Places" it will allow you to cut and paste the link. Here's mine, but I should warn that it's VERY messy. Unfortunately Google only allows a certain amount of objects per page, so the 'hoods are scattered over three pages. Googlemaps kind of sucks.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=2...9460eb74&msa=0

Old Posted Jan 4, 2012, 10:51 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

get ahold of the city they do have public maps u can aquire

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:23 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
get ahold of the city they do have public maps u can aquire

My grandfather was a civil engineer and used to have maps of Winnipeg from the late 40's right up until the late 80's. I'm not going to bother with sub-divisions like Luxton, William Whyte, etc., since they are relatively hard to find and not every Winnipegger is familiar with the name.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:45 AM
BANNED

Winnipeg before Unicity:

The West End is bordered by Route 62 (Osborne, Memorial, Colony, and Balmoral Streets) on the east and stretches as far west as St. James Street. The southern boundary is the Assiniboine River and the northern boundary is Notre Dame Avenue.

The North End is bordered by the Red River on the east, the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the south, Brookside Boulevard on the west and Jefferson Avenue, Keewatin Street, Carruthers Avenue, McGregor Street and the lane between McAdam and Smithfield Avenues on the north.

Elmwood is bordered by the lane between Harbison and Larsen Avenues on the North, Panet Road on the East, Thomas and Tyne Avenues and the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the South, and the Red River on the west.

River Heights is located south of the Assiniboine River, west of Fort Rouge at Cambridge Street, east of Edgeland St. adjacent to Tuxedo, and north of the Canadian National Railways mainline.

Fort Rouge/Cresentwood is bounded on the north by the Assiniboine River, on the east and south by the Red River, and on the west by Cambridge street and Pembina Highway.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 2:54 AM
BANNED

Cities and Towns in the Winnipeg Metro area:

East Kildonan is bounded by the Red River on the west, the lane between Harbison and Larsen Avenues on the south, Panet Road, 100 metres north of Blantyre Avenue, and the Canadian Pacific Railway Marconi tracks (removed in 2006) on the east, and Oakland Avenue on the north.

Transcona is bounded by Plessis Road to the west, The panhandle of Transcona is bounded by Ravelston Ave to the north, and the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the South, and Panet Road to the west.

I'm too frustrated over the Jets pathetic performance against Montreal to continue with this post. I will be back when I go for a drive to work off my anger.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2012, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Cities and Towns in the Winnipeg Metro area:

East Kildonan is bounded by the Red River on the west, the lane between Harbison and Larsen Avenues on the south, Panet Road, 100 metres north of Blantyre Avenue, and the Canadian Pacific Railway Marconi tracks (removed in 2006) on the east, and Oakland Avenue on the north.

Transcona is bounded by Plessis Road to the west, The panhandle of Transcona is bounded by Ravelston Ave to the north, and the Canadian Pacific Railway mainline on the South, and Panet Road to the west.

I'm too frustrated over the Jets pathetic performance against Montreal to continue with this post. I will be back when I go for a drive to work off my anger.
I hear you about the Jets. Yuck.

Were those boundaries from Wikipedia? I found those too, but found it difficult to actually plot them on a map.

I might go take a look for one a Sherlock Map as suggested in another post.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan