HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jun 16, 2007, 7:54 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Since it only makes sense that this should be done, it's probably likely that this WON'T be done (IMHO). When was the last time the city did anything that made sense or smelled of long term planning??
That's what I was afraid of - I'm afraid to say I think you're probably right.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
Has there been any mention of upgrading 16th Ave. and 68th Street to an interchange in conjunction with te NE ring road ? It would be nice to get rid of that set of lights as you come into the city.
There is a sign board up near this intersection about an information session Re: this interchange. I believe it is June 27th from 4-8pm at Pineridge Community Association.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:15 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
There is a sign board up near this intersection about an information session Re: this interchange. I believe it is June 27th from 4-8pm at Pineridge Community Association.
Game plan for years has been to turn 16@68 into a partial interchange aimed into and out of the city centre. The 2006 TIIP figures suggest it's [errm...lousy stinking no-good (ahem) uncletrucking MS Excel file] not a cheap project, but it's been on the board for resolution by 20-something-something for aeons. In terms of making the 201 and the east leg of the Trans-Canada relatively psycho-proof, both the 16@68 and the 16@19 will be necessary fairly soon, but so long as the C-Train 202 is extended straight away and an orbital C-train line is at least being contemplated, it's a build I'm willing to accept.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltliner View Post
Game plan for years has been to turn 16@68 into a partial interchange aimed into and out of the city centre. The 2006 TIIP figures suggest it's [errm...lousy stinking no-good (ahem) uncletrucking MS Excel file] not a cheap project, but it's been on the board for resolution by 20-something-something for aeons. In terms of making the 201 and the east leg of the Trans-Canada relatively psycho-proof, both the 16@68 and the 16@19 will be necessary fairly soon, but so long as the C-Train 202 is extended straight away and an orbital C-train line is at least being contemplated, it's a build I'm willing to accept.
Are there any talks/plans for the 16@19 intersection?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2007, 11:53 PM
Unsafe at Any Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenFlames View Post
Are there any talks/plans for the 16@19 intersection?
Long-term, 10-15 year plans, yes.

Realistically--can't see how 16 Avenue won't be punched through as a motorway from Stoney East to 19 Street NE (now there's a SPUI waiting to happen) to Deerfoot (by way of a third-level diamond), and from Stoney West to Crowchild (once the Crowchild upgrades are in the books). From a logistics standpoint, it's a necessary evil. Practically--if it starts people screaming about an orbital LRT along 16 Avenue, that is a very good thing.

Always pleased to serve my growing clientele.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 6:46 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

I hate (I'm using the word "HATE" here) that light at 19st on 16th Ave

Old Posted Jun 27, 2007, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craner View Post
I hate (I'm using the word "HATE" here) that light at 19st on 16th Ave
I agree with you. I live in Mayland Heights, the community south of that intersection, and because of that light, we get shortcutting traffic. City studies have shown that 19 street is almost 75% over its designed capacity. Those shortcutters save a lot of time by avoiding thos lights at Deerfoot and 16 ave.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 6:01 AM

Gov Photo updates

Here's an update on the government portion of stoney trail

Quote:
16th avenue NW [to be completed August 2007]

crowchild trail:

Quote:
shaganappi trail:

sarcee [june 2008, 5% complete]:

Quote:
country hills blvd:
may

june
deerfoot trail north [complete fall 2008]:

Quote:
Beddington trail:

Beddington Trail to Deerfoot Trail:

Stoney Trail/11 Street NE to Harvest Hills Blvd Looking Northwest

Harvest Hills Boulevard to 11 Street NE (Looking East)

Stoney Trail/Harvest Hills Blvd to 14 Street NW Looking Southwest

Stoney Trail/14 Street NW to Harvest Hills Blvd Looking Northeast

Stoney Trail/14 Street NW to Beddington Trail Looking West

Stoney Trail/Beddington Trail to 14 Street NW Looking Northeast

Last edited by korzym; Jun 28, 2007 at 6:18 AM.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 6:38 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Wow - these are awesome - thanks

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:35 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Seconded!

It's really hard to appreciate just how much work is being done on the ring road right now, without overflying it. What is this, 20 interchanges being constructed in the city all at the same time?

Feel free to post like that every month or three, it really gives a sense of what's going on.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:52 PM
恭喜发财!

That Deerfoot/Stoney interchange is going to be a big mofo

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
That Deerfoot/Stoney interchange is going to be a big mofo
That's why I question whether it will acutally open by late '08.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 5:04 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
That's why I question whether it will acutally open by late '08.
It won't actually be very big until the NE Ring road opens in 2009. It should easily be able to open for NW stoney trail in 2008. The flyover ramps don't have to be done for the NW section.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 6:42 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Alberta Infrastructure FINALLY updated their website a little regarding the NW portion. Of note, the new Tuscany/Scenic Hills interchange will not open until 2009 now (a year later than it was supposed to). Not sure how this is going to work as I was under the impression that the whole reason they needed to build it was because the current location of Tuscany Blvd would interfere with the offramp from EB Crowchild to SB Stoney. If the Crowchild/Stoney interchange will open in 2008 and the Tuscany interchange won't open until 2009 won't there be a conflict??

And it still aggravates me to think of the lights and non interchanges that will still exist on NW Stoney Trail. Shaganappi will not connect to Stoney which makes no sense to me, and besides the lights at Nose Hill Drive (destined to become one of the most deadly intersection in Calgary when the ring road opens), aren't their also going to be lights at Beddington, Harvest Hills, and a few other intersections???

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 7:07 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
the lights at Nose Hill Drive (destined to become one of the most deadly intersection in Calgary when the ring road opens)
I don't think it's humanly possible to stress this enough. Annoyance factor aside (lights on a freeway?!?), we're going to see trucks plowing into cars on a weekly basis - mark my words. It's bad enough as it is currently, but so far traffic never gets up to speed due to all the lights preceeding it, and the fact that very few heavy trucks take Stoney today.

I cannot fathom who thought this up. The first slippery winter day and we'll be seeing this on the front pages. That hill is far too steep to require a stop right at the bottom.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 7:28 PM
City of Blinding Lights

FANTASTIC Pictures....very nice aerials of the Country Club of the Hamptons #7 is a dooozy!

Does anyone know the route stoney trial will take at 16th ave to get up the hill?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 7:44 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
FANTASTIC Pictures....very nice aerials of the Country Club of the Hamptons #7 is a dooozy!

Does anyone know the route stoney trial will take at 16th ave to get up the hill?
If you mean on the west side of town, the road is in place and has been operating for about 8 years now. Right now it dead ends at Country Hills Blvd at the north and 16th on the south end. It's just east of Valley Ridge/Tuscany/Royal Oak and west of Scenic Acres/Arbour lake. You are at the top of the hill by Country Hills Blvd.

Also, I was looking (again) at the website and there are some nice surprises. Beddington trail will now be a full interchange and 14 St NW will be a 'right in, right out' intersection so no lights there either. 15 St NE will be an underpass so that only leaves Nose Hill Drive and harvest Hills Blvd as the only intersections with lights from what I can see. But that's still 2 intersections too many.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 8:29 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post

If you mean south of 16th, it heads up the hill travelling SE (to what looks like the low spot on the hill. The bridge that now is going to be the bridge from southbound Stoney to Eastbound 16th will eventually become the Northbound lanes of Stoney Trail. I think that bridge pretty much points to where Stoney is going up the hill to the south.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 8:53 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Good to hear about the extra interchange at Beddington Trail. That's two now that have been added since they made the original construciton announcement, as Sarcee was originally going to be an intersection too.

We may yet see Nose Hill being added, hopefully soon.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2007, 8:56 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need A Thneed View Post
If you mean south of 16th, it heads up the hill travelling SE (to what looks like the low spot on the hill. The bridge that now is going to be the bridge from southbound Stoney to Eastbound 16th will eventually become the Northbound lanes of Stoney Trail. I think that bridge pretty much points to where Stoney is going up the hill to the south.
That's what I meant. Thanks so much,

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure