HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 2:54 AM
Paramoderator

There has been some mention of beam shipments being delivered to the Emerson College Site in Hollywood today? Can anyone confirm this? Gosh, with this under construction, Blvd 6200, and Selma Hotel, Hollywood will be quite the little construction area.

Oh, and a picture of what I am talking about:

(curbed LA)

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 3:19 AM

Also, big hole in the ground and work going on at Wilshire and Barrington. Anyone know?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeHundred View Post
Yay! News from my neck of the woods (I live a block away from this).

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...own_parcel.php
When did Washington get re-routed?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 4:59 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
Also, big hole in the ground and work going on at Wilshire and Barrington. Anyone know?
Six story apartment building. Don't get too excited.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2011, 5:22 PM
BANNED

CC isn't a bad project; it has potential for being pretty nice with proper detail, greenery and housing in the area.

But do they have to say it is inspired by "the High Line, the Spanish Steps and the Lincoln Memorial"? Please!!!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 2:43 AM
Paramoderator

So, here is some good news. A new, five story tall apartment buildings was approved in downtown Santa Monica. 56 units. Nothing out of the ordinary, besides an above average design, except....

THERE ARE ZERO PARKING SPACES. That's right, not one single space is included in this development. This might be a first for L.A. county. In my eyes, this is the final straw in what makes a perfect L.A. County infill development. Urban? Check. Dense? Check. Attractive with high quality materials (looks like no stucco, concrete instead)? Check. No parking, which encourages biking and use of transit? Check. Perfect.

Oh, and a rendering.

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2011/1...evelopment.php

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:14 AM

Illithid Dude:
Quote:
So, here is some good news. A new, five story tall apartment buildings was approved in downtown Santa Monica. 56 units. Nothing out of the ordinary, besides an above average design, except....

THERE ARE ZERO PARKING SPACES. That's right, not one single space is included in this development. This might be a first for L.A. county. In my eyes, this is the final straw in what makes a perfect L.A. County infill development. Urban? Check. Dense? Check. Attractive with high quality materials (looks like no stucco, concrete instead)? Check. No parking, which encourages biking and use of transit? Check. Perfect.
It must be nice to not have any NIMBY neighbors. Here in DC, there is a similar proposal. A developer wants to build 70 one-bedroom condos and ground-floor retail almost immediately next to the Tenley metro station without any off-street parking. Many of the neighbors are throwing an absolutely fit because, despite this area being served by metro-rail and several bus routes, the neighbors are worried they won't be able to park directly in front of their homes. Santa Monica is allowing no off-street parking and it won't even get the Expo line extension until 2025.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 3:40 AM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
Illithid Dude:

It must be nice to not have any NIMBY neighbors. Here in DC, there is a similar proposal. A developer wants to build 70 one-bedroom condos and ground-floor retail almost immediately next to the Tenley metro station without any off-street parking. Many of the neighbors are throwing an absolutely fit because, despite this area being served by metro-rail and several bus routes, the neighbors are worried they won't be able to park directly in front of their homes. Santa Monica is allowing no off-street parking and it won't even get the Expo line extension until 2025.
The expo line extension is going to be there in 2015 not 2025. Santa Monica is certainly a city where this can be pulled off.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:11 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post

Oh, and a rendering.

This is a little confused. There was a time when LA had plenty of street parking, literally everywhere except DT. Then for decades the city allowed the building of apartments without dedicated parking (or with very minimal) which allowed builders to exploit the free parking on the streets to their economic advantage. There are many such apartments all over central LA (Ktown, Westlake and adjacent). They are typically very down market. They also breed surface parking lots and kill in-fill, since parking lots are economically quite successful in these areas.

The result is a city with little parking availability in most parts of town, permits required for street parking in many areas and increased time waste and traffic as people scurry to move their cars to avoid tickets. And business being hurt because locals use street parking instead of underground parking.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 5:25 PM

pesto:
Quote:
This is a little confused. There was a time when LA had plenty of street parking, literally everywhere except DT. Then for decades the city allowed the building of apartments without dedicated parking (or with very minimal) which allowed builders to exploit the free parking on the streets to their economic advantage. There are many such apartments all over central LA (Ktown, Westlake and adjacent). They are typically very down market. They also breed surface parking lots and kill in-fill, since parking lots are economically quite successful in these areas.

The result is a city with little parking availability in most parts of town, permits required for street parking in many areas and increased time waste and traffic as people scurry to move their cars to avoid tickets. And business being hurt because locals use street parking instead of underground parking.
This sounds like it will be very close to the Expo line station. People who live within walking distance of rail transit stations, especially someone willing to pay more to live next to rail transit, have fundamentally different travel patterns than people who live elsewhere. They also have much lower vehicle ownership rates, thus allowing for reduced off-street parking requirements.

Here are two excellent studies on the topic:
Transit Oriented Development’s Ridership Bonus: A Product of Self-Selection and Public Policies
http://www.uctc.net/papers/765.pdf

Vehicle Trip Reduction Impacts of Transit-Oriented Housing
http://www.nctr.usf.edu/jpt/pdf/JPT11-3Cervero.pdf

More parking leads to more driving. This is especially true if the price of the expensive off-street parking, which can cost as much as $30,000 - $40,000 for each spot if it is subterranean parking, is bundled into the cost of housing and not priced separately. Including more parking, which may or may not be used, also raises the cost of housing, limiting affordability.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2011, 10:51 PM

Quote:
pesto:

This sounds like it will be very close to the Expo line station. People who live within walking distance of rail transit stations, especially someone willing to pay more to live next to rail transit, have fundamentally different travel patterns than people who live elsewhere. They also have much lower vehicle ownership rates, thus allowing for reduced off-street parking requirements.

Transit Oriented Development’s Ridership Bonus: A Product of Self-Selection and Public Policies

More parking leads to more driving. This is especially true if the price of the expensive off-street parking, which can cost as much as $30,000 - $40,000 for each spot if it is subterranean parking, is bundled into the cost of housing and not priced separately. Including more parking, which may or may not be used, also raises the cost of housing, limiting affordability.
I happened to be tuned in to KCRW on Tuesday for the live broadcast of the SaMo city council mtg, when this project was being discussed. Apparently, they are giving preference to tenants that do not own cars. Pretty cool...this is some SF/PDX type stuff!

Please follow on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 5:32 PM

Quote:

Oh, and a rendering.

No onsite parking and "extra affordable units"? Will this be Section 8 housing, I wonder?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 17, 2011, 7:51 PM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
No onsite parking and "extra affordable units"? Will this be Section 8 housing, I wonder?
I don't real reading anything about extra affordable housing. In fact, if anything, I remember reading that the rents on these apartment are still rather high, in spite of the lack of parking. Section 8, this is not...

Old Posted Dec 18, 2011, 4:01 PM

Quote:
I don't real reading anything about extra affordable housing. In fact, if anything, I remember reading that the rents on these apartment are still rather high, in spite of the lack of parking. Section 8, this is not...
Ah, I just reread the LA Curbed article, and then I actually clicked on the link in the article for The Lookout News (which I hadn't read before), and I now see that not all of the units will be "affordable." The Curbed article was written in a way that made me interpret that all of the units were going to be "extra affordable"; I was treating "extra affordable" ( in other words, "extremely affordable") as a single adjective, namely "extra-affordable." But reading the Lookout News article, it more clearly conveys that the development, as an extra, will include 6 affordable units.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 6:17 PM
BANNED

Quote:
pesto:

Agreed. In this particular area, where parking is already very bad, if the developer is willing to put up a building (apparently mostly for transients, since it's mostly studios) with no parking and adjust rents, then do it.

But when this process occurs where street parking is available, it's just handing free money to the developer at the expense of other apartments, businesses, etc. Besides in the basin, dense areas around Ventura Blvd. (Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, etc.) have this issue: massive apartments put up with inadequate parking and resultant injury to existing home-owners and businesses.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2011, 9:20 PM

haven't checked in for a while, but I am definitely having mixed emotions about these recent developments.

- I love the Selma Hotel. As others have already stated, it has great design, no need for parking, and creates a new pedestrian alley. Plus it looks great.

- The 4 proposals for CC are definitely subpar... all four of them. It really can't be that hard to design something architecturally worthwhile in that plot, can it? What is it with all these unimaginative architects? I've seen better student work than these. *blech*

- The 56 unit Santa Monica building seems to have the right idea even if it is a bit confused. We definitely don't need any more parking, and I'm glad that developers are actually agreeing on this.

Oh and:
- Edluva really doesn't know the difference between opinions and facts; like DD said, it's all broad sweeping generalizations he's making, and when it comes down to opinions, he considers his own superior to all others here because according to him, everyone who lives in LA is a philistine, regardless if they've traveled or lived in other cities in their lifetime.

I might as well be the one to call you out: you have a superiority complex and it's about time you see a psychologist.

P.S. your opinion about food is not any better than anyone else's here, what makes you so much more qualified than anyone else here to deem what's good or not? Your opinion is yours, it's not fact.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 8:34 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
either way, who cares. its good for edluva to have his own options, more power to him.....but when he tries to state his opinions as fact and generalizes about the city i live in, you bet im gonna comment.

when did i say that my opinion about our food scene was fact? can you show me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avanine-Commuter
your opinion about food is not any better than anyone else's here...Your opinion is yours, it's not fact.
when did i say that my opinion about our food scene was fact? can you show me?

and btw, i'd be curious to turn the tables and gauge your opinion of los angeles...
i for one think angelenos are as a whole, quite a bit less educated than san franciscans, chicagoans, and new yorkers - do you disagree?
los angeles also has fewer of the types of industries that attract educated talent from the rest of the world - in other words, los angeles is not generally considered a magnet for young educated professionals - do you disagree with that?
A much smaller share of LA's metropolitan wealth is urbanized, and where considered "urbanized", to a far lesser degree vs the cities mentioned - do you disagree?
the proportion of los angeles that is white collar is far smaller than that for the cities mentioned - do you not agree?
given the above, do you think that in a random survey of current events, cuisine, geography, architecture, and urbanism trivia, angelenos would fare as well as san franciscans, chicagoans, and new yorkers on the whole?

this questioning isn't aimed solely at avanine-commuter, even though i've clearly inspired a personal vendetta on his part - anybody who disagrees with me is encouraged to chime in.

and this is relevant to a metro discussion because it relates directly to the consistency to which demand for quality architecture (and food) occurs here

Last edited by edluva; Dec 21, 2011 at 9:10 AM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2011, 9:52 AM
BANNED

Quote:
And, when you make generalizations about Angelenos, do you include yourself in those generalizations?
it's almost rhetorical to ask this. but of course my feelings are subjective - peoples' feelings about food are inherently objective, as are their feelings about movies, paintings, architecture, etc

Quote:
Which brings me to my next question; I don't know much about you, and you maybe have mentioned it before, but, are you a transplant?
i'm a native angeleno who has spent extended periods of time in SF, NY, and Chicago. Don't know what difference that makes.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 5:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
it's almost rhetorical to ask this. but of course my feelings are subjective - peoples' feelings about food are inherently objective, as are their feelings about movies, paintings, architecture, etc
Don't you mean that people's feelings about food are inherently subjective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
i'm a native angeleno who has spent extended periods of time in SF, NY, and Chicago. Don't know what difference that makes.
I was just curious to know if you were a native Angeleno, that's all.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Dec 22, 2011, 7:43 AM

So you haven't explicitly stated "this is fact". That doesn't change your arrogant assumptions and the objective tone in your posts. I don't think I've seen a lot of "think" "believe" or "personally" from you, it's either it is or it isn't. It's not surprising that I'm not the only one who thinks of you this way, is it?

I am not interested in statistics about the intelligence of the city as a whole because city vs. city comparisons are very difficult to compare especially when talking about traditional development to a unique multi-nodal development like LA. Either way, I'd think the huge immigrant population in LA has something to do with this difference, do you not? Besides, there are many more determinants of good food and quality food scenes along with cultural scenes that you're dismissing completely... you're simplifying a not-so-simple discussion with generalizations AGAIN, what a surprise!

Same goes for young professionals and white collared jobs - I agree that statistically you're correct, but what does this have to do with the quality of culture here? There still are still vibrant cultures that thrive here that you seem to ignore and I find it quite pretentious and arrogant of you to assume that the number of yuppies is a measure of cultural significance in a city; one doesn't need to be a yuppie or in a white collared job to understand the importance of culture. Hell, my mother is an immigrant with no college education, and she's more in tune with her culture than anyone else I know. Unless you're prescribing a hierarchy to cultures that suggests the one belonging to the WASPs and yuppies are more valuable than some others...?

And no, I do not have a vendetta, and it's not personal. I would think that after this amount of negative responses you've gotten to your ill-received posts in this thread that you'd have gotten the idea already?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations